MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 100 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Homestuck Sheet Music

Homestuck Sheet Music

Want to play your favorite Homestuck songs on the piano? Perhaps you figured out some guitar tabs for a song on the Midnight Crew album? Or do you just want to listen to a familiar song in MIDI format? This is the thread for you.

Here, our talented forumgoers are figuring out and transcribing the music from the nine (and growing) Homestuck albums and putting up the results to share with the MSPAF community. Looking for something in particular? Check the link below to get started.

Tracks are sorted by album. Last updated March 28th, 2013. Broken Link list is here.
    Bold denotes material provided by the original composer!
    For all of Game Hunter's sheets, please see here. They're all in one big zip file.

Starting bars of Eden (Squid Pilgrim provided a more sensible version)

If you want to post something, just go ahead and reply to this thread.

Original OP:
    Last edited by Dentrala; 09-07-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Re: Sheet Music Request: Haunting Piano Refrain

I have a secret sound team working on music projects. I'll get a credit page up soon, and you will be able to ask such questions of the artists responsible directly.

Thanks Andrew, please hurry!

Music Team

I wrote the music guys, but unfortunately there is no sheet music as of yet. It hadn't even occurred to me that there would be a demand for it.

Thanks though, I'll endeavor to pump it out for you. I suppose I'll also make sure to include some sheet music with anything else that might be featured on MSPA in the future.

Eternity's Shyguy Music Team DragonXVI's Avatar

We could tell you the chords

C minor, Bb Major, D# Major, -
    F Minor, D# Major, Bb Major, G Major,
    C minor, Bb Major, D# Major, -
    F minor, G Major, C minor, -

(I'm recalling from memory here Afterthought may correct me)
    http://www.scythe-studios.co.uk/PoseAsATeam.gif
    "Thirteen chimes on a Dead Man's Clock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock..."
    - Fumblr - Flitter

I'd love the sheet music to this too! It was very pretty.
    There is no dark side of the moon. Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Hi all! Long time reader, first time poster.

I've been with MSPA since the early days of PS, and I'm stoked to see that Homestuck is experimenting with new things. I thought the initial flash animation looked great, and I think the introduction of music is a great idea.

Props to Kevin for the "Haunting Piano Refrain". It was quite haunting and indicative of all those Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger/Other random JRPG melodies that stick in your head and bring a tear to your eye when one of the game's main characters dies. *sniffle*

Andrew, I'm also a trained composer with a not-so-secret love for video game music. So if Homestuck needs any other music in the future, I'd love to contribute!

Cheers,

GeekMan

Music Team

Well, I think you're kind of right DragonXVI, the chords SOUND like the ones you wrote...(oh wait, the G Major should be G dom7) but from a music theory standpoint, I definitely wouldn't call the third chord D# Major. If your working scale is C minor (aeolian), then the scale is:

C D Eb F G Ab Bb C.

So the chords are:

C minor, Bb Major, Eb Major, -
    F Minor, Eb Major, Bb Major, G7
    C minor, Bb Major, Eb Major, -
    F minor, G Major, C minor, -

I mean, it COULD be called D#, but then the key is B# minor (ick!) and the OTHER chord names would also change to go along with it, like:

B# Cx D# E# Fx G# A# B#.

C minor and B# minor do sound the same (TECHNICALLY), but how gross does that look. A key with (edit) 9 sharps.

I'll look into writing out the sheet music tonight in Finale, and I'll post a Pdf or something for anyone interested.

Afterthought, you sound like SUCH an old stickler :8lol: I understood everything you said, but man it seems so serious all of a sudden.

Music Team

Aw, well just imagine it like I said every word with a huge smile. I swear, I'm a pretty cheerful guy.

Thanks so much guys, and thanks in advance for taking the effort to pump out the sheet music-- I regret I was never patient enough to study music theory, so sadly, the chords explanation didn't help me much.

Related request:

For those of us whose piano skills have turned to crap over decades of disuse and, upon seeing sheet music, would poke at it with a stick like a confused Australopithecus, could you also post an .mp3?

Hey MagFlare, if you really wanted to, you could do that yourself! Just get audacity and you can record anything your computer can play.
    (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/)
    Be sure to get an MP3 encoder to export as an mp3 (http://www.free-codecs.com/Lame_Encoder_download.htm)

Quote Originally Posted by 9hao
    Hey MagFlare, if you really wanted to, you could do that yourself! Just get audacity and you can record anything your computer can play.
    (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/)
    Be sure to get an MP3 encoder to export as an mp3 (http://www.free-codecs.com/Lame_Encoder_download.htm)
    I guess I was assuming that the original composition was longer and/or had better sound quality than the version that appears in Homestuck.

But yeah, Audacity's great. I don't do much sound editing, but when I do, it's my go-to program.

Indeed. Audacity is a lot of fun too. Used it for all of my HS's drama productions, throw the mp3 onto the Tech iPod, and BAM, instant sound effects.

Quote Originally Posted by afterthought
    Aw, well just imagine it like I said every word with a huge smile. I swear, I'm a pretty cheerful guy.
    Haha, yea.... I honestly was kind of surprised to see all that kind of chordal movement with so few nonstandard chords, i.e. with extensions like 9 and on, or any kind of dim. or aug. anything. I need to stop looking at things so technically now that I think about it.

The Fluffiest Moderator Wesley Foxx's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

I can't seem to get audacity to record anything. Do I have to mash a mic into some headphones or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Foxx
    I can't seem to get audacity to record anything. Do I have to mash a mic into some headphones or something?
    Try "Free Hi-Q Recorder" It can record from audio out, so you only need a mic to record external sounds, or you can disable the mic input to kill background noise

-Scut

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Foxx
    You might be talking about this, but I can't be sure...

Stereo Mix is everything your sound card "hears," in stereo.

Vista sucks for audio recording, so you can't use it with that.

The Fluffiest Moderator Wesley Foxx's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Fortunately, I have XP instead.

Also, I found the issue was that for me it defaults the microphone recording volume at zero to start with. :V

On the upside, I now have this FreQuency version of a Freezepop song in .mp3 form. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Mikker
    Vista sucks for audio recording, so you can't use it with that.
    Really? I use Audacity with Windows 7 no problem, and W7 isn't that different to Vista (except being one billion times more awesome)

-Scut

I always just change windows' recording setting to "What U Hear", and just use any average .wav recorder to record audio output.
    Signatures should not exceed 80 pixels high. http://www.parsecproductions.net/ima...pixelshigh.png

Quote Originally Posted by afterthought
    I'll look into writing out the sheet music tonight in Finale, and I'll post a Pdf or something for anyone interested.
    I loved this song, did you ever get to do that sheet music?
    I sell my art for charity:
    http://www.society6.com/studio/withloveandsqualor/store

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."
    - David Henry Thoreau

Music Team

Hey everyone. My apologies for not being as prompt as I'd thought I could be.

I just finished up my final exams and final projects which had been taking up 85% of time since mid-April. I promise I'll have the notation done (or at least the portion of the piece that you've heard so far) by next Friday.

Page 1 of 100 12341151 ... LastLast