Thread: MSPA fan-fiction

What's a God to a Non-Believer Moderator Solaris's Avatar
    Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

Re: MSPA fan-fiction

Sushi I am sufficiently Nonplussed.

:O Well, I'll take it.

Tonight my mission is reading everything posted from page 70 on! @_@ So much fiction.
    Last edited by Sushi Database; 08-11-2010 at 01:03 AM.

I always meant to get an avatar! I am just slow at new things XD Having an upload-from-file option for that makes everything so much easier for me. I can just grab an old one from my files instead of dithering over whether I should try to make one from my fanart or something. (Which I actually did get around to implementing, for about three minutes before the boards switched XD)

Fic as art... I'd say absolutely. And there are certain pieces I can cite as art without a shadow of a doubt (saras's fics among them). I'm talking defend-to-the-death here; there are fics that are downright beautiful, meaningful and moving. Are the majority of them that good? No. but neither are the majority of most books, or drawings, or television shows, or paintings. If you're going to judge by the worst, or even the most common, then everyone's screwed. In short, whoever was arguing the other side can go suck a bone bulge. ;D I'd look it up, but I don't like getting angry.

Maybe we need to get more serious about starting a recommendations list? IIRC that's part of the archive thread's mission, and, with the volume we're starting to get in here, it's probably a good idea! Start 'em out with a "Best Of" list to get 'em hooked, and then... *rubs hands evilly* Maybe even more than one-- one just out-and-out best, one the best troll-fic, one the best chum-fic, one the best gen-fic (because people can get so huffy about romance)? Or just lists by different people would probably work. Maybe voting/nominations but that seems like a lot of trouble for pretty much no reward.

And yeah, I kind of tend to stick to the same characters myself, so it's nothing to be ashamed of, I hope XD

I have been trying to encourage people to post in the archive thread if they wanted recommendations on some good fic to read. I personally think it'd be a great thread to post in if, say, you wanted to advertise "hey, I think this fic was a rather good one!" sort of thing (and no self advertising honestly; that's just well, not the point). Maybe I could change the title? "MSPA fan-fiction: Directory, Archive, and recommendations" or something like that. I just don't think anyone would look in it for recommendations... (I'm taking pages 71 - 80 for the directory btw; no one volunteered for the day and I've been itching to contribute to the directory again)

Edit: But perhaps it would be best to hold off on posting a bunch of recommendations in the thread for now. It's still functioning primarily as the place to organize archive and directory efforts.

That's kinda how I'm think of it, Lotus...organize everything into the main directory, maybe have a separate but linked thread for recommendations? So, like, if you especially liked one fic, and can remember who wrote it, you can quickly find the appropriate link in the archives?
    I'd volunteer to do 71-80, but (this is going to sound so silly), I haven't figured out how to...what's the appropriate term...do hyper-linked words? All I know how to do is copy/paste the URL...somebody would have to go back through and make my links look pretty is what I'm saying. T_T

What's a God to a Non-Believer Moderator Solaris's Avatar
    Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

You copy the link, Highlight the text, and press this button .
    Paste the link and BAM!
    By The Way, I son't know what I have because of Add-on and what I don't but when i rightclick it says "Copy Link Location" and I just rightclicked> that on every post number on the upper right corner.

Rabbit Larva Beaverhawk nextian's Avatar

Which reminds me Check the archive thread for a major update in about five seconds!

I got the past 10 chunk; no sweat. In the directory thread is a full explanation of how you can volunteer in the first post though if you would like to volunteer once we hit page 91. We already have a separate thread for the directory; I think it'd be pushing things to have three fic threads just floating about. Since the directory thread will only really get use as a place-holder for the directory itself and the small talk that happens whenever an update to the directory needs to happen, I think the directory thread could double over as a good recommendation spot. I just don't think there's any demand for recommendations though! I've tried to encourage people to ask 'hey, what's a good fic' in there but no one has done as much. If people would like to use the thread to post their favorite fics from the past (like, if it's in the past 10 chunk I think you could just bring it up, you know? but if it's 40 pages ago perhaps it'd be best to bring it up in the directory). We should probably move this discussion over to the directory thread though if people like the idea of using it for recommendations and past-fic love. I don't meant to take up anymore space in this thread without actually posting or commenting on fic.

Alright, so now I'm feeling guilty. Here is a snippet for the fic I'm working on. Just a tiny tiny little snippet. It's not even the start of it; it's like, half-way into what I'm working on. Just a tiny paragraph.

Edit: Ooo~ Sounds exciting Nextian.
    Last edited by Shadow of the Lotus; 08-11-2010 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    You copy the link, Highlight the text, and press this button
    Like this?

...Ok, wow, I am SMRT. XD Thank you for explaining that to me. *hugs* I'll just start looking thought those pages then, shall I?

Edit: Or not. :B My reading skills are unparelled today, let me tell you. Ok, then, I'll just jump in and volunteer for the next set.
    Last edited by Bardic Feline; 08-11-2010 at 01:33 AM.

I"ve just realised, woooow, this thread is approaching 90 pages! You guys are so prolific! Keep up the fantastic work!
    Pesterchum Handle: auctionedCanidae
    DeviantART - Last.fm - Livejournal

first things first: Sushi! That's really sweet and enjoyable; I think I have a soft spot for Mom/Dad now, which is saying something because it's been one of those pairings I've been kind of in denial about. (Ever since the update that paired them, really, until tonight seeing them used as the example as matesprits. It's been one of those "lol he didn't mean it" things. Yeah I know wtf self.) I never got a chance to comment on Shenanigans, either, but I want to say I enjoyed it too, and I can't wait to see what you do with this one!

I will probably not wander over and check out the argument because I don't have the time or energy to get into it with anyone tonight, but yes, fanfiction is art and anyone who says otherwise is being incredibly silly. What can an argument against it even look like? If all art is subjective, how can anyone say fics aren't without ultimately reducing their platform to "it's not art because I say it isn't"? Jesus.

(also oh my god nextian and rA, can I just like...can I keep you? nobody's ever called my stuff art before, I am--I am OVERWHELMED WITH EMOTION )

Regarding recommendations, I don't think we need to have any "best of" categories, since for one, more and more fic will keep coming in and maybe some of the new stuff will be even better! The second is that I think it would create some hard feelings (because let's face it, who enjoys being reminded that they aren't "the best"?) and we should probably do our best as a community to make sure everyone knows they're an equal contributor. I don't think people chiming in with "I'd like to recommend this fic" would work either, since, well, I think almost anything that comes into the thread would have someone want to recommend it.

With the fic archives getting uploaded to AO3--which means a vastly superior organization system--we can probably make a sort of AO3 guide in place of recommendations, explaining to people that if they want to be more discriminating about the fic they read, they can head over there. That way they have access to stats like hits, bookmarks, comments, and they can also sort through tags to make better choices about what they might enjoy. (It would also mean more activity at AO3, which would make me happy!)

Sushi, I can't wait for this next fic! I loved your last one. I'm sure this one will be fantastic, as well!

Erm...not that I want to sound stupid or anything, but what is AO3? Could I get a link please?

Sarasvati: I responded to your Davefic on AO3. For the benefit of the fora, I will summarize it here with oh my god I loved it

So I've done shit all tonight and channeled all of my bluh bluh into something so shippy it hurts. Tiny fic that is massively Dave/Jade incoming. (It also borrows from Sarasvati's depiction of bibliophile Dave.)

*EDIT* Ale, it stands for Archive of Our Own, big fanfiction hosting site that is still in beta. A lot of people here use it to post their stuffs. http://archiveofourown.org/tags/Homestuck/works (Shamelessly stole the link right out of Sarasvati's signature.

Also, hmm...I should find a replacement avatar since mine was lots in the swap.

A Knight At The Movies
    Last edited by Tezrial; 08-11-2010 at 02:57 AM.

Critique time

Tezrial, Sushi, I read both of your fics and liked them, but now I am going to be a hard-ass and suggest a few things that could improve them.

Tezrial:

Sushi:

Just a quickie to say, I finally got my Ao3 account fleshed out! Any further Homestuck fanworks I post will wind up there, roughly half a day after I post 'em here (unless I'm feeling plucky). It's linked in my sig.

Later on today I'll either continue Impermanence or Flavors. Depends on which I'm feeling up for.
    LINK>>Can't find a chapter? Look me up at Ao3: Thomas McQuinn<<LINK
    Applµ enough Righteous fuRµ, and e<en steel bends to µouR will.
    | Land of Surprise and Scales | Intern of Impact |

]Raiser's Tindeck Dumping Ground[
    ]Sound and Fury in the Key of B\S[

People like going "lawl fanfic is pathetic." and dwelling on the absolute worst of the worst. It is an unfortunate fact of life. Part of this is meme, part of it is that a good story takes longer to digest and is harder to use as a 'shut up this is good' example. It takes a few solid minutes of concentration to read even the shortest story, while it takes a second to look at a picture. Sure, it can take much longer to fully appreciate a visual work of art, but the fact of the matter is pictures have that advantage over prose.

People also love talking about how one thing or the other isn't good enough to be art. This is the oldest form of trolling known to man, first thought to be discovered when a sculptor in Babylon called her neighbor's pottery "Just putting pictures on utensils. I mean, would you call a sparkly fork art? Pft, what a poser.". Lets be honest with ourselves; most of us volatile creative types have a catty side. One could theorize as to why forever, but ultimately it comes down to having enough self respect to tell that part of you to shut up and focus on your own work.

Also, Lotus, I feel terrible for not taking the time to reply to your work sooner; I've really dug the last few things you've done, and I'm looking forward to the new piece.

Fanfiction as Art:
    Let's put it this way; if Shakespeare had written his plays today, they would be regarded as professional fan-fiction. And there is a whole body of work out there that is basically re-tellings, POV sequels, or new stories with old characters. Ergo, fanfiction. Wide Sargasso Sea, anyone? How about Wicked? RENT? I could go on, but other people have made this same, or a similar argument, and much better than I could.

I'm not saying that my pathetic scribblings are anything like art, except of the most amateurish kind. But if you want to take the stance that all fanfiction sucks, than you had better be prepared to tell Neil Gaiman, to his face, how pathetic he is.

R U D E Art Team

The modmin staff isn't happy with that thread either--Metal has his eye on it, waiting for them to cross the line.

Y'all are in the art forum, keyword art. Fanfic is literature. Literature, particularly with regard to storytelling and poetry, is art. It is a very simple concept, that. One could possibly argue that editorial writing isn't art, but even then some of those pieces are written by real masters of prose.

tl;dr: Those guys are full of shit and you guys shouldn't listen to a thing they say

@Beard: No worries dude; I'm behind in this thread with everything all the time. Kinda a jack-ass really. I read all the stories from like, the past 8 pages in a good 6 hour sit-down and then don't comment or praise anyone (even though I think most of what I read is really well done).

And yeah. I mean, I was a bit riled up on all the fan-fiction bleh going off in that thread but hey. I think we all have fun with this at least. We've gotten pretty active the past two months, right? Something like 38 pages in 10 months and then 40 pages in the next two.

Stone Temple Guardian Admin Zuki's Avatar

There is good art, bad art, and mediocre art here, but it cannot be denied that what is occurring is the result of creative process.

And if you are making art, you can make more art and better art. You can have fun. You can make people laugh. You can learn to be a better writer.

Go forth and be human. Go forth and create.
    Zuki says:
    "I'll find something to put here later!"

I would have to disagree with your points on present tense, Valter!

Tez! I think your fic sounds fabulous in present tense. You made an excellent style choice. It lends an immediacy to the narrative and flows it along like water, never lingering in one spot longer than is comfortable, and it has an almost eavesdropping feel to it because the moment is so personal. Super cute, but most of all, poignant in its simplicity.

And Lotus! I don't think you need to worry about this thread. :) We're doing good in here! Everyone is here because we love it, and we have just as strong an internal community as the art threads--maybe even moreso because there are fewer of us! Yeah, we might never get front page linkage or Andrew coming in here, singling something out, and saying "good stuff" like he does in the art threads occasionally, but we've got each other, and we have more readers than you'd think.

Rabbit Larva Beaverhawk nextian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valter View Post
    I would strongly recommend against using present-tense in your narrative.... The biggest reason is that you want to keep your writing varied and interesting, and past-tense has many more ways of allowing you to say the same thing.
    OMG I could not disagree more! This is definitely only a matter of taste, so, Tez, don't worry about it either way, but Valter, I loooove me some present tense, for the simple reason of past imperfect. Imperfecto is a pain in the ass to use in English. All the "hads" are super unwieldy and annoying. Present tense also allows you the use of future tense without it sounding clunky -- "she will close her eyes and make a wish". It's predictive and fancy. Second person imperative fic is also necessarily mostly in present tense, and that shit's as real as Kraft Mayo.

It's totally a personal decision, but I really think present tense allows you plenty of flexibility!

...and maybe we should take this to Art Discussion. /o\

e: HOSHIT SARAS SCOOPED ME. whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by DocBeard View Post
    This is the oldest form of trolling known to man, first thought to be discovered when a sculptor in Babylon called her neighbor's pottery "Just putting pictures on utensils. I mean, would you call a sparkly fork art? Pft, what a poser."
    ffffahahaha. &lt;3
    Last edited by nextian; 08-11-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: saras is the fastest gun in the west

SAME MINUTE, TOO.

One of us is psychic, which is it

Well I was going to say some things, but it would appear that they have already been said, and much better than I could have said them!

Nextian, Sarasvati, YOU GUYS ARE MY KNIGHTS! 3