MSPA Forums
Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 498996979899100 LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 2489

Thread: The Felt Memorial Food Thread.

Am I Kawaii? (´・ω・`) KawaiiMelon's Avatar

Re: The Felt Memorial Food Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by thalassicPark View Post
    I am gonna go to the store tomorrow and I'm wondering what I should pick up? >CC What should I make for dinner tomorrow?
    make linguine, because it makes me giggle whenever someone says its name (AND ITS SO GOOD)
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaa

Myself I was thinking about chopping up a few hots dogs and frying them up. Then I'm going to cook up some red sauce. Possibly trying this recipe I saw that has you add jelly to the sauce for a more sweet taste. Boil some pasta and then put it all together.

I'll let you know how it comes out tomorrow.

Wait... so you're really putting JELLY in your HOT DOGS?

Looks like I'm going to make that hapen.

tonight's recipe is going to be angel hair with sausage in a white wine tomato sauce, but I'm not quite sure exactly -how- I'm going to make my white wine tomato sauce, so this will be VERY interesting. I'll let you guys know how it turns out! IN THE MEANWHILE seriously I cannot get the hell off foodgawker and a billion other food sites, this is turning into an addiction help help

I made stirfry for my family! It turned out pretty well and this is the first time I've made something for them by my own recipe. So I'm kinda proud of that
    Awesome signature load failed. Loading backup signature instead.

3000 punches of NaP!

manatee with shades inexpediency's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuraiou View Post
    tonight's recipe is going to be angel hair with sausage in a white wine tomato sauce, but I'm not quite sure exactly -how- I'm going to make my white wine tomato sauce, so this will be VERY interesting. I'll let you guys know how it turns out! IN THE MEANWHILE seriously I cannot get the hell off foodgawker and a billion other food sites, this is turning into an addiction help help
    White wine tomato sauce just might be the best kind of tomato sauce. Hope it turned/turns out well!

it didn't turn out well.

Okay, that's a lie. The sauce turned out fantastic, and at the end of the post I will share the recipe/process/whatever. BUT I made a few pretty serious flubs:

1.) I overcooked the pasta. It ended up squishy and starchy, not al dente. Part of this is because I'm using angel hair pasta nests, which don't need to be cooked that long. But the main reason it got overcooked was...
    2.) I straight-up forgot I was going to cook sausage. Like, my pasta and sauce were both done and then I saw I had an unopen sausage package. WHOOPS. So I rushed to cook the sausage. But in the process of doing that...
    3.) I tried to get sliced 'disc' style italian sausage, but my knife was not nearly sharp enough, so I ended up making a mess and overcooking parts while undercooking other parts.
    4.) Also, seriously, angel hair is not a good pasta type to go with chunky sauces (which this was) or when you've just got small bits of things (which the sausage ended up being).

But seriously, the sauce did turn out really good, and I've got some in the fridge and some in the freezer.

Sweet White Wine Tomato Sauce
    Ingredients
    1/2 cup finely chopped celery
    1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
    1 cup finely chopped sweet yellow onion
    2~3 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp tomato paste
    3 garlic cloves, crushed
    1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper (fresh will probably do as well, I just used the stuff in a jar)
    1/4 ~ 1/2 cup good white wine (I didn't measure mine)
    1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes (san marzano are preferred, but I was a cheapass and went with Target brand which really was not as good (although still good))
    dried basil, dried oregano, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper to taste, fresh parsley

Process
    First, chop up the celery, carrots, and onion if they're not already chopped. Carrots are a huge pain in the ass to chop, by the way. Once they're all chopped up, heat up some of the olive oil in a medium-large skillet (preferably one with high walls, otherwise you're going to have to transfer to a sauce pan later) and then dump the mirepoix (the traditional term for a 2:1:1 blend of onion, celery, and carrots) on the oil. Stir until it's evenly coated; heat on medium-low for 5-6 minutes. At about 3 or 4 minutes in, add in the red peppers. Once the 5-6 minutes are up, add the garlic and tomato paste, give it a quick stir, and then pour in the white wine. Let it heat for another couple minutes, then add in the tomato sauce and spices, turn the heat up to medium/medium high, and stir occasionally until it's reached the consistency you want. Finish off with some fresh parsley

ET VOILA. It's super chunky and has a real sweet/hot kick to it (thanks in part to me putting in a TON of crushed red pepper). If I had to tweak it or if I felt like changing, I would probably add in some fresh-squeezed lemon juice (probably just one lemon is enough, though), and I would've added more red bell peppers, because they have an amazing sweetness that goes well with the wine.

That sounds really tasty! But yeah, I probably would have gone with penne or farfalle rather than angel hair for that type of a sauce. Still, it sounds like a solid recipe and I can almost taste it now. Mmmm.

ha. i didn't end up going to the store today so i'm just eating a subway sandwich. but i feel like i want to make pasta with spinach walnut sauce. so i think i will tomorrow.

inexpediency: I only used angel hair because it's the only pasta I have in my house, and I'm trying to kind of use up all of my ingredients. Last time I used the angel hair I made a mushroom alfredo sauce, it worked a LOT better.

thalassic: I can never escape subway. I want to, but I just can't. It's always right next to where I work. AND YES YOU MAKE SPINACH WALNUT SAUCE YESSssssss

my meal tomorrow: probably fuckin' pizza hut. sigh. sigh sigh sigh. Stupid gaming group and their desire for awful pizza.

e: I'm like 10 posts too late but yeah crabsoneyes dude the sauce for cocktail weiners is traditionally made with jelly that ain't no thang at all

Hey, there's a subway right next to where I work, too. I made friends with all the employees and started getting a lot of free stuff.
    God, it was awful. I don't even like it but it's freeeee
    But it's closed for the season, so I have to go to a different not-free place that tastes better. I don't know what I'm going to do when it re-opens.

Quote Originally Posted by sekalfyks View Post
    Hey, there's a subway right next to where I work, too. I made friends with all the employees and started getting a lot of free stuff.
    God, it was awful. I don't even like it but it's freeeee
    But it's closed for the season, so I have to go to a different not-free place that tastes better. I don't know what I'm going to do when it re-opens.
    I do like Subway, but it costs too much for me to eat there all the time :(
    There are tons of them in the city where I live, one down the street from my school, and one down the street from my apartment building.
    But...I usually get sandwiches with only tuna, mayo, and onions and they keep asking me if I want more stuff! >:(
    I just want a plain sandwiiiich!!
    Awesome signature load failed. Loading backup signature instead.

3000 punches of NaP!

Due to an issue with a roommate's dishes my exciting recipe never took flight. Hopefully I'll be able to share if it was any good tomorrow.

Am I Kawaii? (´・ω・`) KawaiiMelon's Avatar

im making some RIBS tonight by myself, it's gonna hapen :3
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaa

KM! I love ribs! Ugggggggnnnngnngngh so jealousssssss.

Seriously ribs are about the only thing keeping me from going vegetarian. Ribs and fried chicken, that is.

inexpediency: not burgers?

Burgers are one of the many many many many many things that keep me from going vegetarian.

Really any meat, but oh man. A nice juicy burger on a fresh bun with the right kind of toppings is just wagh. Man. I really want to go to Kuma's Corner now.

You know, I tend to stay away from burgers, because a lot of the time they tend to be not very...good. Not because the concept of a burger isn't good, but because I just tend to not like a lot of the burgers I eat. I will snarf down a really well-prepared burger, though. Five Guys and Sonic are about the only fast-food burgers I will eat, and of course homemade burgers are good too (especially with cheese in the middle.) I don't really order restaurant burgers because, well, if I'm in a restaurant I'm going to order pasta or something, not just a sandwich I could drive down to Five Guys for.

You've never really had a gourmet burger then...

oh jeez.

Five Guys is decent but man. There are better burgers out there!

Sorry! But anyways I'm pretty finicky about red meats in general. (Except for ribs, of course.)

I don't really like steak all that much, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuraiou View Post
    You've never really had a gourmet burger then...

oh jeez.

Five Guys is decent but man. There are better burgers out there!
    I noticed the other day when I was in Ohio to get delicious Indian food (yum!), that there was a Five Guys! I had never heard of one until after I heard of In N Out. People would talk about which one was better.
    I was going to try Five Guys, but I don't like burgers.

... gyros?

apparently pretty much everywhere gets their gyros cones from Kronos now. That makes me sad, because I realize now that I have never had fresh gyros before. I don't get lamb at all very often, but tomorrow night I'm going to an Indian restaurant, and I have decided that I will have a lamb curry, end of story, PERIOD. I am excite.

Gyros are yummy, although I guess I've only ever had them in one place and that place was a food court at the mall. And that place closed down and I don't know where to get any more. :[

oh no!

They're much more common here in Chicago due to the fact that Kronos operates here.

The Vienna Beef factory is here, too, which is why hot dogs are so integral to our way of life.

I'm kind of just talking about random things because the 100th page is coming up soon. How about you?

I'm currently eating buffalo-and-ranch Doritos, and I think the next post gets the pagetopper.