MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 99 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: II: The End

Pretty girls and owl-like gods Superfrequency's Avatar

II: The End

Discuss and post music of any sort. If you are posting two or more youtube videos at a time, please put them in a spoiler tag to reduce page load times. This is not a hard rule, so use your best judgement.

Do not quote videos that other people have posted, however. That is a hard rule. It is not necessary for the video to be on the page twice, and it slows the thread down. Edit videos out if you are going to quote someone, please.

Have at it!
    Last edited by Superfrequency; 11-22-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Re: Music II: Whole Lotta Listening

I found this song on a game at newgrounds and fell in love for it, until I listened to it far too much and got sick of it.

Quite nice.

This is the best song in the history of the world. Well, half of it.

Did Not Think This Through MrGuy's Avatar

Reposted from Link Dump. It's obscenely catchy.

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

And make sure you watch that amazing animation.

GYPSY SWING GO:

FUNKY GUITAR GO

Chimera of Humor and Knowledge Jitka's Avatar

the only Chris Isaak song I know

The Punmaster General mehgamehn's Avatar

It's my favorite OCRemix.

Also, why is this thread not titled "Music II: Electric Boogaloo."?

This is one of the few times where it's actually fitting.

It just hit me why pop music sucks so much now.

Everyone is like ten years younger than the musicians of the 70's. All of the successful acts of the 70's had cut their teeth in the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfrequency

Everyone is like ten years younger than the musicians of the 70's. All of the successful acts of the 70's had cut their teeth in the 60's.
    I've noticed that in recent years pop's picked up a nasty habit of sounding really bratty and childish, which could certainly be put down to younger artists, among other more intangible factors. So many songs I hear have this sort of singsong "nanna-nanna-boo-boo" cadence that's really grating even from artists with the mildest of sonic content. Everything sounds like Ohio Express' "Yummy Yummy Yummy" to me.

I'm also disappointed that songwriting's becoming more and more blunt and direct. There are no surprises or innuendo anymore. If "Turning Japanese" were written today it would be about be about anime's influence on American pop culture. I'm also hearing more and more lyrics from the "hot/cold, up/down, left/right" school of contrasts, which is lame as hell and needs to fucking die, but that's just personal preference.

Anyway, now that the decade's over I'm going to declare my favorite popular song of the past ten years to be "Gay Bar" by Electric Six.

Aaaaaaand a video:

I know there's a fair amount of backlash directed at Tool since their fans tend to think it's the greatest thing since the invention of the orgasm but they've had some of the coolest videos ever and I think their music is pretty neat although they could maybe stand to learn to write in a key other than D.

Oh god. My roommate just told me he was listening to "classic punk" and he was listening to MxPx. After my yelling at him about how Bad Brains or the Ramones are classic punk, he was like "Yeah, I guess I just go back to the 90's as far as punk is concerned."

Also, as far as Tool is concerned, I think AEnima is awesome, but that's the extent of my enjoyment of them.

Guys how about some Primus

Quote Originally Posted by zil
    I know there's a fair amount of backlash directed at Tool since their fans tend to think it's the greatest thing since the invention of the orgasm but they've had some of the coolest videos ever and I think their music is pretty neat although they could maybe stand to learn to write in a key other than D.
    God Tool videos are so weird. Absolutely love the band (though I'm not one of those worshippers you mentioned) and actually aenima is in D major :O but your quip of them writing in something other than D made me laugh anyway.

and primus is what happens when talented musicians don't give a fuck :P

Quote Originally Posted by zil
    So many songs I hear have this sort of singsong "nanna-nanna-boo-boo" cadence that's really grating even from artists with the mildest of sonic content. Everything sounds like Ohio Express' "Yummy Yummy Yummy" to me.
    Hahaha.

I haven't listened to the radio in years. I guess I'm not missing anything.

I don't think music could possibly be stripped down any more than the sort of top 40 ""hip hop"" that still has a stranglehold on the charts, so I have to imagine that music has nowhere to go but up in the next decade. I hope.

As far as music is concerned it is absolutely mind-melting living on a campus full of the kind of hipsters L&C has. Nobody really agrees on what music they like, so whenever more than two people are together they listen to the shittiest music possible because it's supposedly funny. Many of these people actually have a relatively refined taste in the music that they listen to themselves, but once they're in a social situation it's apparently taboo to share that with the world at large with your windows and doors open at 10pm.

If I hear a room "jokingly" singing along to "turn my swag on" one more time before my next mind-clearing run, I might just dunk somebody's iPod in their PBR 40oz.

Did Not Think This Through MrGuy's Avatar

I don't think music could possibly be stripped down any more than the sort of top 40 ""hip hop"" that still has a stranglehold on the charts, so I have to imagine that music has nowhere to go but up in the next decade. I hope.
    This can be applied to pretty much everything with the possible exception of video games and memes. Cancellations, war, and shitty music.

I don't listen to a whole lot of traditional jazz, but man, Hermeto Pascoal is amazing. Miles Davis called him the best musician he had ever heard.

He's a great songwriter (reminds me of early 70s Zappa) and he plays basically every instrument ever, but I don't like some of his weirder avant-garde stuff. This song is nice, though.

Also this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    If I hear a room "jokingly" singing along to "turn my swag on" one more time before my next mind-clearing run, I might just dunk somebody's iPod in their PBR 40oz.
    Heh.

The Fluffiest Moderator Wesley Foxx's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Mild lyric warning. :V

The video makes this one.

I never heard this one before tonight actually. I knew my radio gig would be good for something.

hey there cat tunnel planet Chrysolith's Avatar

Pretty much everyone that I know that has listened to the band Jukebox the Ghost has asked for a copy of their CD or has bought it. So now I am sharing their awesomeness with you guys!

Deviantart:Chrysolith

I will keep posting Daddy's Favourite until you like it

Page 1 of 99 12341151 ... LastLast