MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [FG] Dave: Accelerate

[FG] Dave: Accelerate

Happy 4-13, everybody! Unnecessary text and stuff ahead. Feel free to...

Play Now; Read Later <Mirror> [Size: 4.4 MB]
    (Warning: requires Windows OS and probably won't work in WINE or any such thing; sorry 6-12% of everyone)

(Warning, no music included, so feel free to play some sick beat-down music on loop in the background) Music now included thanks to betasword (or you can replace it with your own by changing music.mp3)

Not convinced? Have some screenshots:

Gameplay Video:

Map:

Controls (changeable):
    D: Attack
    S: Dodge
    A: Bring out TimeTables
    Arrow Keys: Move
    A more elaborate control/move-set explanation is provided at the start of the game.
    F4: Toggles fullscreen
    F9: Takes screenshot
    Enter: Pause

System Requirements:
    -DirectX 8 and compatible components
    -Windows OS 2000 or later
    -Memory: Uses about 60MB RAM.
    -Processor: Despite some inefficient, last-minute hacking, it can run double-time (which is to say 100+ FPS) on my six-year-old Desktop and my five-year-old Laptop. So you need something at least half as good as a five-year-old laptop

Troubleshooting:
    Number one thing to do when GM games aren't working is to make sure your DirectX version, Graphic Drivers, and Sound Drivers are all up-to-date.
    If you encounter an error, please post what the error message says or how it crashed.

... OK, talking time now? Ok.

As the name and screenshots suggests, this is a fan-made, playable companion piece to the Flash Update '[S] Dave: Accelerate.' It takes place after the Third Gate instead of the Fifth to account for Dave's slightly less kickass-itude (because what fun would it be to kill Ogres in one hit?). It isn't much in terms of sense of progression and goal; it's just a Map with a bunch of Imps and Ogres you can kick around). Think of it as a parallel to the Act 4 Intro Flash only with less Consorts, text, and silly decks and more acrobatic fucking pirouettes and getting your ass kicked. TimeTables are implemented allowing you to jump backwards in time, but I didn't have time to implement fatalism into the system so loops go unstable pretty quickly (which is to say don't rely on your past self going to/having had killed the imp you already/will have done). Also I do not know how to implement mutually paradoxical four-dimensional bi-determinism on a linear-progression, Turing-type computational system so don't expect any help from your future self.

Since I only gave myself a week to work on it, I didn't get everything I wanted done, but I got more than I expected. I originally planned a grander move-set for Dave complete with a crossfading system where Dave acts like he's going to do one move then does another as well as a power move set involving the extended blade which was activated by chaining lots of combos together, but I got sidetracked with more technical concerns.

I'll tweak any glaring problems I may have overlooked in zero-hour development, but for the most part I consider this project complete and do not foresee turning it into anything bigger than it already is.

Convinced now?
    Done Reading; Play <Mirror> [Size: 4.4 MB]

Got Game Maker and want to get your grubby little hands on the source?
    Enjoy [864 kb]
    (requires GM8 to open and GM8 Pro to run)
    (some sections are fine, others are unintuitive hacked together; more for gloating curiosity than learning)

dESPERAITHERION'S ROCKET WIFE, Angetaro's Avatar

Re: [FG] Dave: Accelerate

WHAT

This is so rad.

Pretty damn rad.

Although it says in the instructions (in game) that the Turntables' default is Z when it's actually A. Otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarchimedes
    Pretty damn rad.

Although it says in the instructions (in game) that the Turntables' default is Z when it's actually A. Otherwise.
    Oh fudge, and with the control screen showing key codes instead of actual keys, that ain't what I want. Fixed.

This is one of those times having a Mac sucks.

AUGH HEALING SMUPPET PILE

completely in love with you michi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angetaro
    WHAT
    Seconded!

THIS LOOKS FUCKING INCREDIBLE! (Alas am on a mac!)

Oh, and I noticed that some of your enemies spawned in the upper left corner by mistake and appear to be trapped.I think this happens during time travel but if you rewind back hard enough it fixes itself somehow. This is confusing.

Can you slow down rewinding a bit? It's kind of hard to control. Unless you meant it to be that way?

Kind of fun to gang up on an ogre by "cheating" though.

Graphite grist: hard to see!

That. Is. The Greatest Thing.

SO AWESOME

Oh, and I noticed that some of your enemies spawned in the upper left corner by mistake and appear to be trapped.I think this happens during time travel but if you rewind back hard enough it fixes itself somehow. This is confusing.
    Augh! I thought I fixed that problem. Dammit, who thought implementing dynamically concurrent time travel could be so difficult?

Can you slow down rewinding a bit? It's kind of hard to control. Unless you meant it to be that way?
    Sure, I can slow it down. It's a little jumpy now, though (keyframes are recorded once every 10 frames thus time travel has to happen at that interval; I guess I could interpolate, but too much work).

Graphite grist: hard to see!
    DESIGNED BEFORE COGS WERE ADDED. OK, darkened a little.

Representative Ankylosaurus dragonpaul99's Avatar

This is really awesome. Good job! I played this for well over an hour and will probably play it some more after searching the fora a bit.

HOLY CRAP THIS IS SO AWESOME

Once I practice the controls and figure out how to use the time traveling thing strategically, this is gonna be so sweet. SO SWEET.

Tips:

- You gain Stride gum energy when an enemy is killed regardless of whether you're mauling it, Calsprite is mauling it, or another you is mauling it. So, if you time travel and have multiple selves beating up multiple imps, you'll have a steady flow of energy to work with.

- For best results, stay away from imps you've already killed before your jump to maintain a consistent timeline.

- Past and future selves, by merit of the system not wanting to make itself too complicated, will not affect each other's health, so feel free to steal grist and gel drops from them without consequence.

- You can set up a "time ambush".

First, get near something you want to kill, like an ogre, but stop short of actually getting in range, and execute a few combos at the air without getting too close.

Then time jump back to before with a tiny bit of leeway, lure the ogre to where you did the combos, and watch as your past self works it over as you scurry out of the ogre's range.

The ogre will then try to retaliate and probably succeed, but past Dave's health is of no concern to you, so take the opportunity to approach the ogre from the other direction where it is attacking and take a few cheap shots.

If that isn't enough, rewind again, and when your second self finishes execute a running attack and land the killing blow.

- Don't worry about losing valuable killing time if you're buried under a smuppet pile and need to recharge, as you can just jump back in time afterwards as if nothing happened at all but you now have full health. Hahaha.

- You can double tap in any direction to run, in addition to left and right. This might be confusing to people who have played other games in which this wasn't the case. Rolling directions too!

All I know is that this was awesome.

Are you going to add to the game, and if so, will you add Ruby Giclops?

Okay, yeah, this is addicting.

This. Is. AWESOME!

Super Moder- wait, no I'm not AAAAAAAAAA42's Avatar

Marry me.

No, not in a while.

Like, right now. Get the fuck over to my house and we'll plan it.

As soon as I realized there was time travel, this became a competition to see how many Dave Striders I could fill the map with. It got very confusing.

Also, this is fantastic.
    Conquest: Future-fic. Four sweeps after Sgurb, the trolls have been recruited into various facets of the Alternian imperial army. Assassination attempts, black romance, and political unheavals. Captain Vantas's day just keeps getting worse. (In Progress.)

[formSpring] [deviantARTs] [uncannyArtisan]

ahahahaha so many Daves just rolling around on the floor!

God yes.

Human of Alfandra simon.clarkstone's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

It's certainly fun, but I can't really control the combos I do, never mind knowing the strengths and weaknesses of each. I can't do any of them very consistently either, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Also, when I find myself in a troublesome situation I try to travel backwards, but the A key doesn't always bring out the decks.
    [U4G] OREG (A space adventure)
    Starring Opabiniataurs, because humanoids are boring.

Stand still and hold down A. It takes a sec to get them out, just be patient!

This looks absolutely amazing

BRB downloading ASAP

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast