MSPA Forums
Page 47 of 101 FirstFirst ... 37444546474849505797 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 2502

Thread: Homestuck-Related Cosplay

Re: Homestuck-Related Cosplay

Quote Originally Posted by xQuietxRebellionx View Post
    so this may be a stupid question, but is there a definite color for troll nails? are they yellow, orange, or the color of the troll's blood?
    Vriska or Terezi's have appeared blue at some point. Really, I don't think there's a definite consensus. Go with what feels right.
    MEANWHILE,L IN A FINELY ESTABLISHED ESTABLISHMENT OF ESTABLISHERY OF THE FYCC AND FYAG GENTLEMEN'S CLUB, WE MEET OUR CO-PROTAGONIST INSIDE A GREY, SOPHSTICATED SUIT OF GENTLEMANRY. SOME PEOPLE CALLED HIM THE MAGICAL WIZARDY OF SOPHICATED HATRED, BUT OTHER JUST CALLED HIM BY HIS MAIDEN NAME, FAWKES. FAWKES WAS FEELING PARTICULARY HATEFUL TODAY AS HE ADJUSTS HSI MONICLE AND TAKES A GREAT GULP OF MS. GLUBBERY'S [lemon juice].

Quote Originally Posted by Khold View Post
    Hey, newbie to the forums here. I just wanted to say that I was at SPX and NYCC/NYAF and really loved all of the Homestuck cosplay! I was the tall guy with a green hat who randomly shouted "TROLLS!" whenever I saw one of you, so good work everyone! I'm thinking about doing a Bro cosplay or one of the trolls, but it'll be a while before that will happen. Time to actually become active on these forums >_>
    :33 < did you maybe s33 me and equius? he got his silly horn broken off by a whole ton of robots, but then he beat the crap out of them!!

Quote Originally Posted by 10kindsofpeople View Post
    :33 < did you maybe s33 me and equius? he got his silly horn broken off by a whole ton of robots, but then he beat the crap out of them!!
    I do recall an Equius and Nepeta that I yelled at! You guys had awesome costumes, I was most pleased!

Quote Originally Posted by Khold View Post
    I do recall an Equius and Nepeta that I yelled at! You guys had awesome costumes, I was most pleased!
    :33 < yay cool! i don't suppose you got any pictures?

Carving out ram's horns from Styrofoam with my old pocket knife may not have been one of my best ideas. In other news, if my school has a contest on most nerdy and obscure costume, I am going to win the hell out of it.

here, there, everywhere gamblingCornucopia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RetroKinetic View Post
    Carving out ram's horns from Styrofoam with my old pocket knife may not have been one of my best ideas. In other news, if my school has a contest on most nerdy and obscure costume, I am going to win the hell out of it.
    I went the barbaric route and steak-knifed the shit out of some Styrofoam for mine.
    Now I am...sanding the clay over them which is more time-consuming than I thought it would be. (perfectionist. They must look exactly the same).

You're wearing it to school? Wish I was still in school (maybe I can still sneak in somehow...)
    dA .....Handles hiding:

Well, I go to a super small art college, so I'm wearing it to their Halloween party! But yes, the perfectionist in me is probably gonna go insane trying to make sure everything is consistent and smooth.

I fully condone you sneaking into a random school with some sweet-ass candycorn horns though. Mentally scar the children, it will be beautiful.

Just for thoroughness, a visual aid courtesy of dream Vriska and dream Terezi, respectively:

(the sad part is I only had to crop these down and upload them from my cosplay reference folder)

knight of valve time absoluteCertainty's Avatar
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

so uh
    i'm trying to make a roboradia cosplay with sewing only.
    ... this is probably a bad idea but i'm not proficient with metal, leather, or foam sooo....
    the horns are probably going to be papier mache xD so that they'll be light
    the only problem i'm having is the eyes. what should I do about it?
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...v/e632cb9c.pnghttp://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...v/cc92e765.pnghttp://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/55a7db68.pnghttp://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/b017accd.pnghttp://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/ad165da3.png
    Best of Forum Games Quote Archive brought to you by the Obliteration Party Station.

Quote Originally Posted by 10kindsofpeople View Post
    :33 < yay cool! i don't suppose you got any pictures?
    Sadly, I didn't get any, I only had my cell's crappy camera, sorry!
    There were so many pics I wanted to take ;_;

Okay bros and broettes. This is my Homestuck troll makeup tutorial. I am covering a generic nebulous who the fuck knows who it is troll in this. You can use it as a base for any troll except Gamzee; his makeup differs in a ton of ways, and while I tried and failed to get a tutorial for that one tonight, I'll at least give some pointers at the end. Also, I am a cheapass where it doesn't hurt to be so. This will pop up periodically. ALSO THIS IS GOING TO BE LONG AS HELL. It's like reading Troll Romance or something I swear.

OK, tutorial time starts now! I'm going to be a bit different, and I will start out with the materials which I really super 1000% totally recommend that you do NOT use.

Acrylic Paint (unless you are using it as PAX, which I highly doubt, this will crack and look bad, also possibly toxic)
    Watercolor Pencils (fucking NO!)
    Cheap-ass Halloween drugstore paint (this will look like ass, all blotchy and refusing to blend, it doesn't really come in grey, and you wouldn't believe how many people are severely allergic to it and only find this out after it's on their whole body for an hour. I know we like Hivebent, but I don't think we like HIVES ON OUR WHOLE BODY thankyouverymuch.)
    Eyeshadow (see watercolor pencils. Also, possibly expensive, and guaranteed blotchy as hell.)
    Anemia (no, I don't care how anemic you are, you are not gray enough for a troll. Pink human flesh is wrong.)
    Colloidal Silver (are you that much of a moron?!?!?!? That shit is permanent!)

So what, then, do we actually use? Well, we have three main options.

Airbrush and Alcohol Activated Paint Pros: Hollywood uses this and it would look totally amazing, 100% not going to rub off anywhere. Cons: Do you really have either an airbrush or the money to buy an airbrush, as well as the alcohol activated makeup? That's expensive too and OH GOD getting it off is a nightmare.
    PAX is a mixture of acrylic paint and ProsAide adhesive. It's insanely sticky until powdered, but when it is, it lasts for ages; I've had a friend PAX his face and it stayed for three days. This is a dick and a half to get off even with the remover and you also have to buy expensive paint rather than el cheapo most of the time unless you want to get poisoning.
    Theatrical Makeup comes in creme or cake varieties: the creme is easier to blend and not get super streaky for beginners, isn't too impossible to create your own shades, I have the most experience with this, and most importantly to me, it's the cheapest of the GOOD options.

Therefore, this tutorial will be done with creme makeup.

So, what do we need? SUPPLY LIST TIME!

Here is a photo of most of my supplies.

Some I ended up not using, so here is the CORRECT list of what you need.

-Wig and wig cap (also horns but I don't have any on hand so use your IMAGINATION)
    -Foundation primer (more on that in the instructions)
    -Ben Nye creme liner paint in the following quantities and colors: 2x white, 1x grey, 1x steel grey
    -Makeup wedges
    -Powder puff
    -Transparent powder (NOT TRANSLUCENT, YOU NEED TRANSPARENT OR COLORLESS POWDER, I CANNOT CAPSLOCK THIS ENOUGH.)
    -Ben Nye Final Seal (THIS IS THE STUFF OF THE GODS RIGHT HERE)
    -Black mascara
    -Pencil eyeliner in white, black, and dark grey. Liquid liner is optional.
    -Black lipstick
    -Eyelash curler
    -Brushes! Large blush brush type, a small brush if you're going to do detail shadowing, and an all-purpose eyeshadow brush
    -Something to mix paint in; pictured is half of a super on clearance travel soap container from CVS.
    -Tissue
    -Something to remove your makeup with! Makeup remover sheets are a good idea but will get thoroughly clogged up to pieces. Cold creme is the theater standard, although I'm also enough of a masochist that I use Doctor Bronner's castile soap. It's the best stuff ever for getting things like creme paint off your skin without entirely ruining your skin afterwards. You can also read the label if you want to go insane!

OPTIONAL:
    -Contacts
    -Fangs or dentures
    -Tooth black

OK, so let's get started. And before we can get started, we need to mix us some paint.

One of the problems many of you guys have noticed is that Ben Nye grey is way too dark. And that's bad. This is why you are buying two containers of white makeup. Take the lids off the white and the grey paint and put them in the microwave at 10 second intervals until they are nice and mixable but not totally melted. The white will heat up way faster, so check both of them! When you are done, take some kind of stirring stick (I was using the back end of an eyeshadow brush) and scoop them out and put them into the mixing container, one white to one grey ratio. At first I thought it'd be 2:1 gray:white, so that's what this photo reflects, but you really want to take the full contents of both containers.

Now get mixing! Mix mix mix mix mix until it is a smooth disgusting consistency.

My example rather looks like cement, doesn't it? Now use whatever you can find (brush handle/mixing tool, your fingers, whatever) and scoop the paint back into the two empty containers. You will now have two insanely gooshy containers of Troll Grey!

Now put the lids back on because your mixture? It's way the hell too gloopy to use it right now. If you're absolutely desperate you can put it in the freezer to cool down, but I recommend waiting instead overnight for it to firm right back up. Delicious!

And now, for application.

BEFORE you do any of this stuff, you want to start with a clean face, and if you're going to be wearing contacts, put them in now. My eyes are blue, and I have astigmatism so I can't wear spiffy scleral lenses even if I could afford them, so I'm using some yellow gold lenses I ordered from an Asian circle lens site (Dollyeye Brown to be specific) that I have left over from some JoJo's Bizarre Adventure cosplay. I'm also being too cheap to use full on dentures for pointy teeth, so instead what I have is some discount "Sexy Fangs" from the Halloween store and some tooth black to make my other teeth look pointy. You can also use tooth black to entirely black out a tooth for Equius; no dental work needed! Put your wig cap on right now if you're using a wig; if not, keep the hair the hell out of your face with a headband or something.

To start with, take the first of several makeup wedges and apply makeup primer. What, you say? Makeup primer is ass expensive? HELL NO IT ISN'T, you just have to be not afraid to buy it in the "wrong" packaging. Monistat Soothing Care Anti-Chafe Powder Gel, from the feminine care aisle, has the exact same fucking ingredients as Smashbox foundation primer, and costs like $8 max for three or four times what you'd be paying $30 for from Smashbox. Seriously. I am not even joking. It is amazing. I am not photographing this step because really it doesn't visually change anything; it just makes sure the makeup goes on smoothly.

Now you take a new makeup wedge and start applying the Troll Grey to all over your face. DO NOT use a streaking motion like as in normal foundation. It will look streaky and ass-tastic. What you will be instead doing is using a stippling motion to evenly dab the paint on all over. You may have to go over certain areas multiple times; this is OK.

Here's the start.....

And here's with the whole face done! I look massively derpy and I also went back after this and fixed some spots that had worn thin. My nose did that the most, in my experience.

This is already pretty good, right, but it looks a bit flat. In real life, people have shadows and highlights on their faces. Now highlights REALLY didn't photograph well, so I'll just have to describe it; take your finger and take the white that you DIDN'T blend into the grey for Troll Grey, and start putting it on wherever you think you want your skin to be a bit lighter. I recommend on the apples of your cheeks (makes you look a bit younger), underneath the eyes if you have massive eyebags like I do (UNLESS you're being Karkat), and a little bit inbetween your eyebrows and on the center of your chin. Blend.

Now take some of the Steel Grey as shadow and put it in appropriate areas; here's a pic before I blended for what I personally used. A bit at the temples, a bit down the side of my nose since my nose tends to look like a blob when I paint my face light colors, a bit at the hollows of my cheeks for epic cheekbones, and a bit along your jawline because for anybody, with light color facepaint, your jaw loses all definition and facial expression is important for trolling!

Now take your fingers and blend that shit so it doesn't look like you smeared darker grey all over yourself.

Less flat skin and more dynamic realism! Although I managed to look really sad again here...

AND NOW IT IS TIME TO POWDER THE EVERLOVING FUCK OUT OF YOUR MAKEUP. This is at least 75% of what will keep it from smudging. This is super important. It also takes two hands so I have very little pictures of the process, so I'm going to have to describe it.

You take a powder puff and shake a bunch of the TRANSPARENT/COLORLESS powder onto it.

You take that powder puff and start dabbing at your face, and neck and hands and arms, covering EVERYTHING in powder. It's OK if there is too much powder. In fact that's preferable. You want to dab dab dab that powder on there until nothing feels sticky or greasy at all. Then you take that blush brush (a kabuki brush is the BEST for this if you have one, but for some reason I couldn't find mine) and in a swirling motion, dust off all the extra powder.

Your creme paint is now seriously set. It is not going anywhere for a while. Fuck yeah!!

By now your eyebrows are entirely wiped out, and that looks pretty bad, especially with a black wig or black hair!. So, in the same way that you'd use eyebrow pencil, fill in your eyebrows with the dark grey eyeliner pencil. I really, REALLY sucked at photographing this.

See the difference?

And now it is time for eye makeup. It really isn't different than ordinary eye makeup for any other kind of everyday or costume thing, and what you do depends on the character. AT THE MINIMUM for boy and girl trolls alike, put some black eyeliner on your upper lid and smudge it out a bit, and some white eyeliner underneath your lower eyelid if you're going for a wide-eyed look; more black smudgy eyeliner if you're going for a troll with more definition along the bottom of his/her eyes. For a really really advanced tip, you can line your waterline with dark grey, black, or white pencil to hide the pink human skin other than the inner corner of your eyes, but I don't know too many people who can do that very well. I'd recommend using black or grey shadow up to the crease so your eyes stand out a bit more, and some white eyeshadow for contrast. You also want to curl your lashes and put on at least one coat of black mascara. Yes, even for guy cosplayers and/or guy trolls, because at this point you have white eyelashes and that looks hella dumb. If you're doing Nepeta or Kanaya or someone, consider using false lashes.

This is what it looks like when I was done, complete with the OMFG TERRIFYING factor of my contacts slipping away from center (holy fuck you guys i can see forever):

And now for the last part of active makeupping, the lips.

Because you've painted your lips grey, you can redraw your lips slightly and it'll look fine. In this case as an example, I'm drawing my upper lip smoother and my lower lip less full than it actually is. First draw and fill the lip shape with black eyeliner pencil, and then go over it with black lipstick. It's OK if it doesn't look perfect, trust me!

In fact you'll find mine looks downright craptacular and like my hand was shaking like a caffeine addict in withdrawal, but that's OK because we're about to fix it! Get a nice angled brush and load it up with Troll Grey, and carefully paint around the edges to define the shape and smooth out the edges. After this, powder your lips and the area around them.

So much better!

And now for the piece de resistance.... FINAL SEAL. This is pretty much the most godly theatrical makeup sealant in the universe, and sadly I don't have photos of how it is applied so you will have to rely on my descriptions. Mist a small amount into the air and walk through it, or mist it onto your face/neck/arms/wherever from a distance of AT LEAST a foot and a half away. You don't want it to EVER end up beading up on your skin or feeling more than damp. Let it dry. Mmm, minty! (Close your eyes while using this, obviously.) Repeat in several more light coats; when I'm going out for a full day in body paint, I normally use between five and eight coats.

OK, that might have taken a while (or not; I only spent half an hour doing up my face, although it would have taken more time if I had to do my neck and my arms), but you are now pretty much DONE! Put on your wig and horns and celebrate. And sadly I have no horns, so these pics will have to do.

And finally, for a note about Gamzee.

I was trying to do a secondary tutorial tonight for Gamzee in specific but motherfucker I needed like seven hands to do my makeup and had to miracle extra hands out of another dimension or something in order to not royally screw it up... I'm not going to be able to do THAT tutorial until after Yaoicon, when I do the full costume and can rope a friend into taking pictures of me actually putting on the makeup.

This is what my attempt turned out like, complete with badly proportioned drawn on ms paint horns:

And it was not particularly easy.

However, the few major things that are different about Gamzee than the other trolls:

-You want to buy two white, two grey, and one slate grey, because...
    -You start out by painting your entire face white. When you put the marks on afterwards, by virtue of going over the white, they will mix with the grey to lighten. If you use standard Troll Grey on your face that way, it will be far too light and won't look so great.
    -You still want to mix up Troll Grey for your ears and neck and arms and stuff, though.
    -Powdering technique is different. Way different. I need to get some damn video of that.
    -If you're anything like me, one of the biggest challenges is not laughing while trying to paint silly clown makeup on your face.

OK, that pretty much does it. Any questions about THE LONGEST POST IN THE WORLD HERE ask me and I'll see what I can do to answer them.

Holy. Shit. That is one boss of a tutorial. I'm not even considering cosplaying any trolls ever and I feel obliged to thank you because that must've taken a lot of time to type up, not to mention that it looks SUPER useful for anyone that would use it. So... THANK YOU! ahah!

super baller butt pirate Admin Blueberry's Avatar
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

that tutorial is amazing. i especially love the tooth black for pointy teeth. genius.

Aww yeah! This post was a fucking miracle! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I've got about 5 troll cosplays depending on you for next Saturday. Now here's hoping that stagemakeuponline can ship me stuff before Friday. . . .
    Love!

Brain Fuggler and also a GIRL xQuietxRebellionx's Avatar

RE: Troll nails
    Alright, sweet deal, i have like yellow and orange, if i can find them, so i could do either, but since i'm doing girl!sollux, i was afraid that to be accurate i was gonna have to find something that color and that was gonna be tough.

here, there, everywhere gamblingCornucopia's Avatar

Okay, I feel idiotic. I did not even realize you could do so many coats of Final Seal without it being weird.
    Shows how little I know about makeup :I

(And thanks so much for that tutorial. As I previously stated, I know absolutely nothing about makeup so any help would have been great, but that was fucking intense).
    dA .....Handles hiding:

*slow clap* God thank you so much for that, I have never done makeup before and next time I do Vriska I want to do it RIGHT, so... wow. Yeah!!!!!!!!

I cannot possibly portray my admiration and gratitude short of internet-style hyperbolic compliments: Hanyaan, everyone wants your babies. Get in that ectobiologist suit and start pressing buttons right now.

GET MESSY, MOTHERFUCKERS. Von Fawn's Avatar

Excellent tutorial, Hanyaan! Quick question: you use Ben-Nye. Would you recommend Mehron? I used a liquid blend (gray and white) of that make for my cosplay last week. Admittedly it was darker than yours, but I'm also a darker girl, lol.

Oh yeah, how is makeup coverage for darker skin? I'm not terribly dark, but here's a look (raided matesprit's cosplay album for good lighting, so it might be a little big).

STUPID SEXY OLIVE SKIN! *SHAKES FIST*

(from Sunday when I was like MAKEUP FUCK THAT SHIT)

But yeah. Makeup will cover the skin without a problem, but I guess I just ... instinctively think a bit darker? :/
    Last edited by Von Fawn; 10-16-2010 at 12:36 AM.

Von Fawn, I don't think I complimented you on it yet, but you did a stellar job on the costume! Are you going to try for different trolls in the future?

Hanyaan, thanks for the tutorial, it's great!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Xerxes.

Hanyaan, that tutorial is great, thank you! I might even persuade the others in my cosplay/con group to do makeup with a tutorial to follow... Do you have an approximate total cost on it?

Quote Originally Posted by xerxes333 View Post
    Von Fawn, I don't think I complimented you on it yet, but you did a stellar job on the costume! Are you going to try for different trolls in the future?

Hanyaan, thanks for the tutorial, it's great!
    Thank you! No, I don't think I'll be cosplaying any other trolls? I don't know. My next con looks like it's going to be PAX East, and I'm going to be her again as I know for sure that I'm going to have my favorite Eridan with me! (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE ) I may try something else in the future, but right now I have no idea!

min - I am glad you enjoyed it! It did take a while to type up but if it helps out other fans I think it's entirely worth it.

Blueberry - I can't take too much credit for the tooth black idea! I swiped the idea from a Japanese cosplayer going as Nougami Neuro.

10kindsofpeople - Good luck on your makeup arriving! I wish I had any experience with online makeup stores, but I have a store that sells Ben Nye locally... But I can't wait to see your costumes! (What con is next Saturday?)

xQuietxRebellionx - I know I haven't been in this discussion before, but Sally Hansen has a line of relatively inexpensive nailpolish that dries in 60 seconds (no more smudging, wooo!) that includes yellow, orange, teal, purple, and all sorts of odd colors. It is my cosplay friend, and available at drugstores. Just if you use a dark or bright color, don't be stupid like I was recently and forget a base coat. That will give you stained nails.

gamblingCornucopia - Thank you so much! And the thing with coats of Final Seal is that once you start feeling a bit of stickiness (but not tons) when it's dry, that's when you have the max on. If it's too sticky you can always put more powder on!

NightingaleRB - Glad I could help somewhat!

spookysage - oh hell yes ectobiologist suit. Also, you should have nooooo problem covering up with gray, nor should anybody else really. When I was in theater makeup class, I saw a medium-skinned black girl cover her face entirely with white Ben Nye creme. You just may need to use thicker coats if your skin is darker, but you're well within the easiest range.

Von Fawn - Mehron is good stuff too, as is Kryolan. I just happen to have Ben Nye being sold at my local store, so I logically have a preference for what I can get locally. However, Final Seal is by FAR the best of the theatrical-type makeup sealants. If you're using liquid makeup, though, you can buy some tons of Liquiset or some other kind of liquid eyeliner sealant thing (I don't know what other brands' equivalents are) and mix it in for even more staying power. You'll need hella makeup remover though! Also your costume. It is awesome.

xerxes333 - Thank you!

MissEva - Thank you! I hope people do use it... it's totally worth it. The base cost is about $5, but the trick is that one container of troll grey will cover face + arms for two or three people, so if you want the cost to go down, split it with your cosplay group! Just buy two powders, not one.

And now that that's done... I'm going to be a bit of a brat and ask the board. I'm already planning Gamzee and Nepeta, but do you think there's any other characters I should try based on appearance?