MSPA Forums
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 474

Thread: Pester Chum's are too long!!

  1. #76

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana
    I think complaints like this may be an unfortunate symptom of the drastic difference between Problem Sleuth and Homestuck. Since Problem Sleuth was this "coffee table book" sort of thing you could flip thought easily and you didn't have to think hard about it.
    i dunno about that, my first time through took me forever because i was struggling to remember all the wacky shit that was happening. i guess it really wasn't necessary though
    good tweets , bad tweits , no taste

    

  2. #77
    Flower Shadow of the Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,531

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    There are large swaths of problem sleuth I still don't understand. Homestuck has felt much more coherent to me.

  3. #78
    Resident Duel Critic NoobOfLore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Distant
    Posts
    805

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Large swaths of Problem Sleuth were not internally consistent/illogical. Some of it just didn't make sense.
    My name is legendaryBuffoon, and y00 are lIkely to be conf00nded by my c0untenance.

  4. #79

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    well, I guess I got my answer. lol.

    I agree with most of you, they are funny, but up until the ones between the trolls. and I agree, I don't find them as engaging as the kids, and yes, *facepalm* I'm new to the forums. =D

  5. #80
    Now with 200% More Corn orngjce223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Full-time internet
    Posts
    4,010

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Well then, there's always the proper introduction thread, which has a first post with some reasonably useful links on it.

    I think people reacted this way because a) you didn't check which forum you were posting on, b) people here are very dedicated fans who read these things dozens of times to poke out the content and point out inconsistencies (so they assume the same thing about others, unfortunately), and c) you're new.

  6. #81
    Jaded VoltaicPhilosopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Land of Steel and Knowledge
    Posts
    1,377

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Quote Originally Posted by orngjce223
    Well then, there's always the proper introduction thread, which has a first post with some reasonably useful links on it.

    I think people reacted this way because a) you didn't check which forum you were posting on, b) people here are very dedicated fans who read these things dozens of times to poke out the content and point out inconsistencies (so they assume the same thing about others, unfortunately), and c) you're new.
    d) People are dicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socrates
    Αυτό που γνωρίζω εγώ είναι ότι δεν γνωρίζω τίποτε

  7. #82

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Majutsukai
    And it sounds like you're doing exactly that, especially with your "when letters are numbers" comment-- I think you mean "when Terezi talks"? She's a character, she has a name, she has a personality, she has a role in the story. She's not just a disembodied typing style anymore. The trolls have LONG since left that role.
    Trolls: A Huge Pile of Intolerable Crapstain.

    Seriously, though. I know I don't hang out on the forums so I don't "get" the depth to this story, but I read Problem Sleuth for a good long time and I was always enamored with the silly feel of it. Why change styles so very drastically? Why try to make a deep story? Especially with such a terrible convolution of characters. In the end, I guess my point is - there are a lot of people who read this who don't come to the forums, because we are really just spectators. I posted a single suggestion in the suggestion box ever and that has been the entirety of my contribution to MSPA. Just because we don't live here in the forums doesn't mean that we enjoy the story any less than you do.

    Also, having read all of the pesterlogs, my opinion of them is that they are a colossal waste of time. They impart 0 depth to the story and also they are boring. Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff is more engaging than any pesterlog. At first they were a little cute but now they all take the format
    Andrew uses Wall of Text Attack!
    SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!!!!
    Inowar takes 1,000,000 damage!

    I read it; I derive 0 joy from it, and it doesn't explain anything interesting. Way to waste my time.

  8. #83
    Jaded VoltaicPhilosopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Land of Steel and Knowledge
    Posts
    1,377

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Inowar
    Bawwwww
    Reading is hard, bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socrates
    Αυτό που γνωρίζω εγώ είναι ότι δεν γνωρίζω τίποτε

  9. #84

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Inowar
    Quote Originally Posted by Majutsukai
    And it sounds like you're doing exactly that, especially with your "when letters are numbers" comment-- I think you mean "when Terezi talks"? She's a character, she has a name, she has a personality, she has a role in the story. She's not just a disembodied typing style anymore. The trolls have LONG since left that role.
    Trolls: A Huge Pile of Intolerable Crapstain.

    Seriously, though. I know I don't hang out on the forums so I don't "get" the depth to this story, but I read Problem Sleuth for a good long time and I was always enamored with the silly feel of it. Why change styles so very drastically? Why try to make a deep story? Especially with such a terrible convolution of characters. In the end, I guess my point is - there are a lot of people who read this who don't come to the forums, because we are really just spectators. I posted a single suggestion in the suggestion box ever and that has been the entirety of my contribution to MSPA. Just because we don't live here in the forums doesn't mean that we enjoy the story any less than you do.

    Also, having read all of the pesterlogs, my opinion of them is that they are a colossal waste of time. They impart 0 depth to the story and also they are boring. Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff is more engaging than any pesterlog. At first they were a little cute but now they all take the format
    Andrew uses Wall of Text Attack!
    SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!!!!
    Inowar takes 1,000,000 damage!

    I read it; I derive 0 joy from it, and it doesn't explain anything interesting. Way to waste my time.
    then why are you reading homestuck

  10. #85

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    homestuck is really different than problem sleuth. the chatlogs were my favorite part of it way before i looked at the forums. i guess if you don't like reading it's just not gonna be your thing?
    good tweets , bad tweits , no taste

    

  11. #86

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    beesmygod: I've been hoping that this troll shenanigans would stop quickly. I've enjoyed nearly all of it up until the exact moment that the trolls were introduced. At which point I enjoyed all the parts that didn't involve the trolls.

    But since it isn't stopping it's likely that I'll give up and leave MSPA forever. I just wanted to put my two cents in. Especially since people are ripping on some guy just because they don't know him and disagree with a perfectly valid opinion.

    VoltaicPhilosopher: Oh my, I am so hurt by your comment that I now feel compelled to correct you. Reading is a fine thing that I tend to enjoy. Unfortunately, here in this comic, it has been transformed into a torturous labor. At first the pesterchum logs were okay. They had interesting little bits and they weren't that long or frequent. Now upwards of 90% of the content of this is poorly constructed dialogue between characters who are introduced at a whirlwind rate, possess a single quality (which, if you were to believe this thread, is equivalent to characterization), and are, at best, tangentially related to a 900 page long story which I have checked daily since before it began. Excuse me for being uninterested in such literary tripe.

  12. #87
    Jaded VoltaicPhilosopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Land of Steel and Knowledge
    Posts
    1,377

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Inowar
    tl;dr
    If you don't like, don't read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socrates
    Αυτό που γνωρίζω εγώ είναι ότι δεν γνωρίζω τίποτε

  13. #88
    Lcheeseboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nowhere Land
    Posts
    384

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Inowar
    argument against pesterlogs
    I guess I can see where you're coming from with this, but I think that most of the fora, myself included, disagree with you. You read Homestuck for the comedy portion of it alone, and dislike the more epic story behind it. That's a perfectly legitimate way to read it, though you're obviously enjoying it less than we are if you dislike such a major part of it. But to each his own. Also to your question "Why change styles so very drastically? Why try to make a deep story?": It's up to Andrew what he want's his stories to be like, and a lot of the people here think that he made the right choice. I'm sorry that you don't think so, but I respect your opinion, and hope that you find something more suited to your tastes somewhere.

  14. #89

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    I've been hoping that this troll shenanigans would stop quickly. I've enjoyed nearly all of it up until the exact moment that the trolls were introduced. At which point I enjoyed all the parts that didn't involve the trolls.
    oh dang I thought you were saying you hated all the pesterlogs ever and i was like "whaaaaaaat this guy is dedicated to this comic"

    But yeah, different strokes for folks and all. My sister hated the Intermission and I thought it was hilarious and awesome so I can get how you'd get frustrated with that. I don't know about the trolllogs having zero depth since they show the trolls interacting and fighting with each other and this all over shows how a "normal" session is supposed to go. But eh, I get where you're coming from.

  15. #90
    Touche Master The Decoy 13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Land of Canyons and Cables
    Posts
    1,256

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Quote Originally Posted by VoltaicPhilosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Inowar
    tl;dr
    If you don't like, don't read it.
    -_ - Chill bro. Be a bit more teamfriendly.
    Also in regard to the topic.

    My personal opinion, you skip the pesterlogs, its like skipping the dialogue in the movie.

  16. #91

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lcheeseboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Inowar
    argument against pesterlogs
    I guess I can see where you're coming from with this, but I think that most of the fora, myself included, disagree with you. You read Homestuck for the comedy portion of it alone, and dislike the more epic story behind it.
    nah man, you are not savvy.

    I like the epic story. I like the whole Oh man this is so involved and convoluted. I don't like the trolls and I especially don't like this farce of a side plot. Using the trolls as a device to foreshadow, trick john, or as foils to the characters is fine. But attempting to use them as real characters is just forced and painful. I really and truly feel like at first the trolls were introduced as characters with a particular set of qualities in the pesterlogs with the kids. However, they've now been introduced a second time in a flashback with an entirely unrelated set of qualities. It's laborious to read through their extremely long conversations, too. Instead, the entire troll arc could have been replaced with a couple thoughtfully placed conversations with the kids as the story goes on, which also would have been a better way to reveal the true reason behind the overall plot. My buddy in aim here is griping too, and he just said something that's a really good point. "Problem Sleuth always progressed toward the goal. The plot moved forward, not miles back."

    Sorry my thoughts are all over the place, I haven't really organized what exactly it is that I dislike about what is going on. It's just really frustrating to be so far along a story and have it essentially interrupted with "plot". The intermission was fine because it didn't pretend to be related to the story, and it had its own entirely different feel. Integrating it into the story retroactively is fine, because that's how things work around here, and that's okay. But the trolls, man. the trolls.

  17. #92
    Jaded VoltaicPhilosopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Land of Steel and Knowledge
    Posts
    1,377

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Inowar
    Sorry my thoughts are all over the place, I haven't really organized what exactly it is that I dislike about what is going on. It's just really frustrating to be so far along a story and have it essentially interrupted with "plot".
    Quote Originally Posted by Socrates
    Αυτό που γνωρίζω εγώ είναι ότι δεν γνωρίζω τίποτε

  18. #93
    Touche Master The Decoy 13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Land of Canyons and Cables
    Posts
    1,256

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Inowar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lcheeseboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Inowar
    argument against pesterlogs
    I guess I can see where you're coming from with this, but I think that most of the fora, myself included, disagree with you. You read Homestuck for the comedy portion of it alone, and dislike the more epic story behind it.
    nah man, you are not savvy.

    Ignoring the unnecessary comment, I'm not sure what you dislike as well. Too much plot?

    Also Problem Sleuth never had to go back because there was nothing to go back on. Other than some characters catching up, there wasn't a back story or a history to be explained. Sure you may find the troll story tedious and unnecessary, but it gives us more insight on Skaia, Sburb, The Felt, and the overall story. A few conversations with the kids would have been boring. Sure I love the conversations, but then it become a "OOO and this happened, and that, and this what happened then." kind of thing. It's better to show than to tell. The trolls may seem like side characters, and I'm sure they may not all be important, but without learning about them, I think a lot of the story would be lost.

  19. #94

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    I'm not sure why you have a facepalm here. My best guess is that you don't understand my use of quotation marks around the word plot.

    I will give you an analogy so that you understand.
    I would like to have some plot, but instead I got this "plot".
    I would like to have some apple pie, but instead I got this "bowl of horse poop".

  20. #95

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    By "you are not savvy" I merely meant that you did not catch my drift. I may have been unclear. Both in what I meant by that and also in presenting my drift.

    Respectfully disagree regarding the trolls. I can't refute what you say, I just feel that they are trite and forced. All of these things could have been explained in better ways.

  21. #96
    Jaded VoltaicPhilosopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Land of Steel and Knowledge
    Posts
    1,377

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Inowar
    By "you are not savvy" I merely meant that you did not catch my drift. I may have been unclear. Both in what I meant by that and also in presenting my drift.

    Respectfully disagree regarding the trolls. I can't refute what you say, I just feel that they are trite and forced. All of these things could have been explained in better ways.
    I fail to see how glossing over a portion of the narrative is better storytelling than going into detail about all of the characters involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socrates
    Αυτό που γνωρίζω εγώ είναι ότι δεν γνωρίζω τίποτε

  22. #97
    Art Team Sockpuppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canadaland
    Posts
    279

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Before people complained that the trolls weren't real characters and were annoyed because they were just talking with the kids instead of doing anything themselves. Now people are complaining that they are real characters and they do get to do stuff.

    Can't please everybody I guess.

    We are pretty much learning the backstory of Sburb that we couldn't learn if we were stuck with John and co. the whole time, as they are too busy dealing with the fallout. And Andrew would have had to do something with the trolls eventually, it would have been sucky for them to have remained two-bit characters who sat behind computers telling the protagonists they were going to fuck everything up. It would have been bad storytelling to forget about them, not give them a backstory and not give them a resolution.

    I don't think any of the trolls seem forced--I'm actually pretty impressed by how he's managed to launch into a big string of character introductions and not trip over his own feet. I guess he did trip for you though. Oh well. There is not really much you can do here, either keep reading and tough it out or come back in a month or two when the act is over and we're back to the kids. You'll have missed out on a lot, but if this makes you boil with rage then I don't see why you should continue reading.

  23. #98
    Touche Master The Decoy 13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Land of Canyons and Cables
    Posts
    1,256

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Inowar
    By "you are not savvy" I merely meant that you did not catch my drift. I may have been unclear. Both in what I meant by that and also in presenting my drift.

    Respectfully disagree regarding the trolls. I can't refute what you say, I just feel that they are trite and forced. All of these things could have been explained in better ways.
    I get what your saying. It does feel like these annoying guys who give out plot wouldn't be good for fully fleshed characters, but it's the same thing with the midnight crew.

    They really only made slight appearances in it before hand, and it since there wasn't much character to them they were easy to fill. The trolls have very distinct personalities and thus allow for there character to fill the plot.

    Yeah it came out of left field, but it adds dept to the story. It's also going to feel trite because the characters are somewhat going through the same thing the kids did, at a much faster pace. And it feels forced because these characters who were slightly antagonistic, yet somewhat minor are getting a story. I'd say give it more time.

  24. #99
    Lcheeseboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nowhere Land
    Posts
    384

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Inowar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lcheeseboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Inowar
    argument against pesterlogs
    I guess I can see where you're coming from with this, but I think that most of the fora, myself included, disagree with you. You read Homestuck for the comedy portion of it alone, and dislike the more epic story behind it.
    nah man, you are not savvy.

    I like the epic story.
    Forewarning: I kind of tear into the Problem Sleuth comparison a little in here. Apologizing beforehand.

    Ok, sorry about that. I just kind of took
    Quote Originally Posted by Inowar
    I read Problem Sleuth for a good long time and I was always enamored with the silly feel of it. Why change styles so very drastically? Why try to make a deep story? Especially with such a terrible convolution of characters.
    to mean that you didn't like the depth of the story. This, though: Problem Sleuth always progressed toward the goal. The plot moved forward, not miles back." Problem Sleuth didn't even have a clearly defined goal for the first half of it's existence, aside from "Get out of your office", which it moved away from fairly rapidly. When it finally developed a new one, it basically came down to "Kill this guy", not exactly the most inventive of goals. It did an excellent job with that, true, but it really doesn't compare to Homestuck very well. I see that you're really just saying of the trolls the same thing someone has said about every new character in Homestuck at some point, that they're distracting from the main story. When Jade was first introduced, a lot of people disliked her because they thought she was keeping us away from the "real" story. All I can really say to that is that you should try sticking this section out and seeing where the story goes from here. Chances are that eventually you'll start grudgingly accepting the trolls, then wondering what you had against them in the first place. Or maybe not. But please don't quit before giving the trolls a proper chance to grow on you. It's only been two weeks, after all.

  25. #100

    Re: Pester Chum's are too long!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Inowar
    Trolls: A Huge Pile of Intolerable Crapstain.

    Seriously, though. I know I don't hang out on the forums so I don't "get" the depth to this story, but I read Problem Sleuth for a good long time and I was always enamored with the silly feel of it. Why change styles so very drastically? Why try to make a deep story? Especially with such a terrible convolution of characters.
    It really sounds like your problem isn't with the trolls. You clearly have contempt for the entire story, and its departure from the PS formula.

    Should an artist manufacture a consistent product for his entire career? Should diversity in projects be considered a sign of regression? I don't know if it should be, but it certainly will be considered a nuisance by many. Especially those who were under impression that the purpose of an artist's existence was to continue spoon feeding them what they grew comfortable with. Unsurprisingly, this class of people is the group that is the most toxic for an artist to strive to appease. In fact, my view is that currying their disfavor is a sure sign of progress.

    But it's cool that you used your only 4 posts here to uncork a disgruntled and somewhat contradictory analysis, instead of just not reading. Nobody's doing me any favors trudging through this thing with even tempered interest, let alone disdain. If anyone thinks there's too much to read, or really too much or too little of anything, I'd rather they just didn't bother.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •