MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homestuck Font Shenanigans

King of British Romania! elrunethe2nd's Avatar
    A modest, yet slightly estranged laboratory in a mountain.

Homestuck Font Shenanigans

Not sure if this has been done, nor whether I even did it right, but I went some of the way do doing a whole alphabet and numberset. This seems to be something people ask for now and then, so I tried to finish the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by PlugKnight
    I believe that you should make a HS font to be used with windows (and mac for others).
    Preferably the golden text with orange outline.
    So I went a bit of the way and made most of the letters plus cut out some other stuff.
    Anything that looks terrible is probably mine. In other news, fuck the letter X.
    About half of those below are Hussie's originals (or a font that he used).

It would be great if someone went the whole hog and finished this up, I just don't have the time, and it seems to be something several people have wanted.
    Forgive me for any errors, i've been at it for a little while and was working off some old letters I did out of necessity earlier this year.

RE: A Real Font
    http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/6087/pesterchum.png

Thanks to NotASenator for giving me back my signature. Be aware, some links may not work as of yet. Fixing soon.

Super Moder- wait, no I'm not AAAAAAAAAA42's Avatar

Re: Homestuck Font Shenanigans

This is cool, but there's a little out-of-place line in the x2

It has been done before; it used to be included at the start of the fan-art threads before we moved on from sprite-edits.

Example: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/php...hp?f=34&t=5025

Appreciate the effort though!

Edit: We are missing the numbers though...

Edit2: And the font that that actually is.

Courier New; Bold; 14 px; Anti-Alias = none.

actually it's courier new bold 10pt

it's a vector font but due to the hinting and the way windows renders fonts, without antialiasing the glyphs are quite different between 10pt and 14pt:

FUN FACTS: rendered this way, courier new bold 9pt and courier new bold 10pt are the EXACT SAME HEIGHT

CRAZY RIGHT

King of British Romania! elrunethe2nd's Avatar
    A modest, yet slightly estranged laboratory in a mountain.

Well now we know!

I'll take a crack at them numbers later, perhaps then.

Its also handy because there is no way in hell I would have found out that snippet of info about the courier bold.
    http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/6087/pesterchum.png

Thanks to NotASenator for giving me back my signature. Be aware, some links may not work as of yet. Fixing soon.

Boom.

Isn't perfect. Make sure you use all caps.

Advisor Citrusrostrum The Random One's Avatar

Since you brought up, do you know if the handwriting in Homestuck (BLUH BLUH HUGE BITCH, SHOCKING DEVELOPMENT! etc) is actual handwriting or just a handwriting font? If it's the latter, which is it? If it's the former, who wants to create a font based on Andrew's handwriting?

Quote Originally Posted by Benamas
    actually it's courier new bold 10pt

it's a vector font but due to the hinting and the way windows renders fonts, without antialiasing the glyphs are quite different between 10pt and 14pt:

FUN FACTS: rendered this way, courier new bold 9pt and courier new bold 10pt are the EXACT SAME HEIGHT

CRAZY RIGHT
    Note that pt and px are different. 14 px is correct, while 14 pt isn't! I guess 10 pt is just about the equivalent of 14 px?

A quick question:

How about the zodiac signs? I keep getting two variants of Capricorn. Badly drawn, they look like this:

On the left looks like a Greek eta with a loop at the end (on the panels), while the font I usually use (Code2000) looks more like a vS.

Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

Quote Originally Posted by Isoraķatheð
    A quick question:

How about the zodiac signs? I keep getting two variants of Capricorn. Badly drawn, they look like this:

On the left looks like a Greek eta with a loop at the end (on the panels), while the font I usually use (Code2000) looks more like a vS.
    This probably belongs more in the Simple Question/Answer thread, and no I don't have an answer. However, I do have the symbol in various fonts:

Bard of Colours PanchromaticRhythm's Avatar

everytime I download Strife it doesn't work at a text at all. anyone else having this problem?

also how would I turn off aliasing?
    Your Chumhandle is panchromaticRhythm.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

You go to the folder you installed it in. Right click and click install. Also, text works with four different settings: None, Crisp, Smooth, and Rough I think. None is what you want for aliased text, choose the others for anti-aliased.
    You can find me elsewhere here! Avatar also from here!

thats the problem, when I open the TFF preview it shows all blanks. when I install it it appears entirely blank in my text editors.

look at the site, they've made a font for each of the B1 kids and seems to have started on B2.

For all who would prefer not to mess with the aliasing of Courier New Bold, I made a font in its permanently pixelated form.

Not the best, I know, but it works. The black is how it types. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the two-toned font to work, but with minimal manual editing by offsetting multiple layers underneath, you can get it to look like the bottom text.
    You can download it here, under the name FONTSTUCK.
    I hope you find it useful.
    Last edited by KevinHilt; 07-04-2012 at 12:55 AM.

god i love nintendo and music Paul's Avatar

It looks like there's some aliasing. When you made this, was anti-aliasing on?

There shouldn't be any, on the top one at least. The bottom one appears to have a little smoothing in the backdrop, but that's just the layering, exaggerated somewhat even by the picture. The top one isn't anti-aliased; it's not even Courier New Bold, technically. I just used Courier/the above font posts as a reference and made something as close as I could in a few hours. Like I said, not perfect. Are you just looking at the picture, or do you see it in the font while you're typing it? If it's in the font, it must be from the site download, as I made it to have no anti-aliasing.

god i love nintendo and music Paul's Avatar

oh sorry, i thought you were posting a sample and were preparing to post the font, and that was like a preview to check if blah blah blah

font probably works fine then

Oh, ok good. Sorry for the confusion. I posted the link to download above as well, but just to clear it up:

DOWNLOAD FONTSTUCK

What I'd really like to see is someone make a truetype font of plain Courier without antialiasing. If you do that, then we can write a small user-style and fix the comic to use aliased fonts on all computers.

It's completely legal, BTW. You can't copyright a bitmapped font. I know, I do a lot of work on Wikipedia.

BTW: I tried doing this with a few different programs but couldn't figure out a way to do it that wouldn't take 500 years and still probably come out with tons of glitches that would have to be fixed.
    GA: I Think What I Find Most Challenging About Human Insincerity Based Humor Is The Degree Of Commitment To The Fantasy Which Is Apparently Requisite

Good thread. I was looking for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by trlkly View Post
    What I'd really like to see is someone make a truetype font of plain Courier without antialiasing. If you do that, then we can write a small user-style and fix the comic to use aliased fonts on all computers.

It's completely legal, BTW. You can't copyright a bitmapped font. I know, I do a lot of work on Wikipedia.

BTW: I tried doing this with a few different programs but couldn't figure out a way to do it that wouldn't take 500 years and still probably come out with tons of glitches that would have to be fixed.
    Interesting. I certainly don't know of a way to do it.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by KevinHilt View Post
    No offence intended, but could you upload it somewhere that doesn't require making a new account on a website that I'll never bother with again?
    Alternatively,
    > Shit: Happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast