MSPA Forums
Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 91617181920212229 ... LastLast

Thread: Hivebent: The Radio Play

Hey fruit roll-ups, nice arms Gensotekei's Avatar

Re: Homestuck Radio Play (now drafting HIVEBENT)

Quote Originally Posted by Random Encounter View Post

OhgoddonthurtmeIjustthoughtthatitmightbealittlecle arerthiswaydonthurtmeeee

EDIT: AND OF COURSE IT'S A FREAKING PAGE TOPPER DX
    Last edited by Gensotekei; 08-09-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Head Writer for Writing Heads Random Encounter's Avatar

It would be more clear if Vriska was trying to get just a love reaction out of Tavros, but I wanted to make it clear that she was working both the love and hate ends of the spectrum at the same time. I also get enough flack for putting in too much narrator, also. I was also working under the assumption that Vriska's mind control needs some sort of vocal or written cues to work, though that's not necessarily true.

Tavros' tranced comment... yeah, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with Tavros being Tavros, or being out of character due to mind control. I just went with the latter since he appears to be that way in the comic. I like your take on it, though.

Ehh, let's get the opinion of someone who isn't me.

I think its more of a PSYCHADELLIC SOUND EFFECT thing for Vriska's manipulation, but it might be me. Besides, during the first time she takes over his mind, its mostly just her sounding eerily nice (you know, despite the cliffjumping) and calm and seductive, kinda like a cartoon snake (look into my eyesssss~). Also, a bit of the the whole arc needs a healthy amount of Narrator to tell people what the hell is going on since some of the introductions and other things sound silly if there isnt an omnicient third person.

And I personally think that it will be relatively impossible for me to make Tavros that relatively OOC without cringing at every keystroke X0

Uh, if it's okay, mind if I help you with the script thingies and stuff?

What's a God to a Non-Believer Moderator Solaris's Avatar
    Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

Just find something we haven't done and post it here and then add it to the doc.

Well, I mean after the hypnosis sound effects, just to make it more clear for the listener what Vriska wants. Though it can probably be worded differently. And yeah, I cringe at the bad pick-up line too.

All of the writing and editing is open to anyone, so help away! I've just been kinda doing it more because I want it to get done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gensotekei View Post
    kinda like a cartoon snake
    I will now always think of that snake from the Jungle Book when I see Vriska

Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

I WRITE FOR KANAYA
    ALWAYS

As usual, do whatever with it.

Since it is okay for me to do this, I did the parts where they said we already had this conversation. At least, I tried. OH WELL

First, Equius and Nepeta. This basically gave me the idea.

CAHOOOOOOOOTS (feel free to make this one less horrible)

And Terezi and Gamzee. It was so weird writing for them without the odd caps and the numbers. :|

(Edit: For the last post, I thought the part where the narrarator says that its hard sounded a bit like mothersprite. Could have just been me.)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Mothersprite, too, though "It's hard, and nobody understands" could also be Kanaya.

Okay, here's a line for Tavros that isn't completely cringeworthy.

And I hitchhikerified the romance explaination.

EDIT: We don't really need a transition for Terezi and Gamzee. The order is different for the sake of chronology and to avoid repeat conversations. Terezi's intro is happening before Gamzee's so that when she calls him, it cuts to his intro. How about a new rule where if you're going to edit or make additions, please check the doc and the rest of the thread first so we don't have to repeat arguments over decisions already made.
    Last edited by Random Encounter; 08-10-2010 at 11:21 AM.

oh whoops. Okay, sorry about that time to hunt things down DX

vote Annie for skeletonlasses crash826's Avatar

Just thought of something for the Vriska kiss scene:

Vriska: Hearts or spades? HEARTS OR SPADES?!

Tavros: PURPLE HORSESHOES RED BALLOONS POTS O' GOLD OH GOD DON'T HURT ME

Just pointing out, we are going to need to take out LARGE PORTIONS OF SCRIPT because of time restraints, the sake of keeping it reasonably paced, and to keep the actors from having to record a ridiculous amount of lines. Hussie is rather wordy, and because most of our adaptation is directly ripped from the Pesterlogs and Andrew's own narration, it will end up kind of Dickens-like if we keep it as is.

So once we have all of the script's backlog recorded, I think people should start going through and hilighting lines and sections that could be cut or shortened, and then perhaps a powwow could be held in IRC or on the Google Docs chat about what stays and what goes.

Quote Originally Posted by crash826 View Post

also, this is brilliant.

I love you. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by aestheticGötterdämmerung
    Just pointing out, we are going to need to take out LARGE PORTIONS OF SCRIPT because of time restraints, the sake of keeping it reasonably paced, and to keep the actors from having to record a ridiculous amount of lines. Hussie is rather wordy, and because most of our adaptation is directly ripped from the Pesterlogs and Andrew's own narration, it will end up kind of Dickens-like if we keep it as is.
    Well, reccording any of this is relatively huge. And besides, there are Twelve people involved, fourteen if you count both of the nararators, seventeen if you include everyone extra, AND GOD EIGHTEEN IF WE REMEMBER AURTHOR'S BRITISH NEIGH. It's about a thousand tiems better than if we did regular homestuck which is about four people for most of everything. And besides, have you heard a radio play before? I have for shakespeare and I dont think you can get any slower paced than doing hecates speech in macbeth with a bazzilionty filters over the lines rendering it unhearable and kinda annoying. This is relatively smaller in scale considering that this wouldnt even be a full one-act with what's been seen so far.

I pretty much agree with Gensotekei, especially since the Troll arc is already the compressed version of the story. Going by the average time it takes to voice a troll log, these conversations last about 3-6 minutes, which, considering that they make up the majority of the story, really isn't that bad. And those tend to be entertaining enough to work. If we go with, for the sake of argument, 30 min episodes then it won't slow things down too much. The only thing that drags is some of the huge expository text walls (especially the mobius double reach around one which is going to need another major rewrite) which can be livened up by being turned into troll interaction and with extras added. Besides, the troll arc in general emphasizes the characters, not the action.

Rabbit Larva Beaverhawk nextian's Avatar

I hope very much that we won't have to do too much pruning -- but let's preemptively cut out drama and say that everyone should be aware that their segments might be removed for time and flow reasons, and that it isn't personal.

I'm actually thinking that Gensotekei and aG might be good candidates for editors when we're done, particularly because you seem to think different things about pacing and can provide different viewpoints.

Yeah, it's good to have some more people helping with the writing and editing. And honestly, I'm probably too elbow deep in the first draft at this point to be objective about hacking up some of the parts for time. It's not going to stop me from arguing my case, but I'm cool with it.

Now that I look at it though, another chunk that kinda drags is the initial introductions. It might not be best to stick to the format for those that AH uses since some of the characteristics are better illustrated by the action and dialogue that already exists. Or we can break it up a little more. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Gensotekei View Post
    This is relatively smaller in scale considering that this wouldnt even be a full one-act with what's been seen so far.
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Random Encounter View Post
    Now that I look at it though, another chunk that kinda drags is the initial introductions.
    Are you talking the the whole introductory sequence for each troll (multiple panels), or just the initial one that usually deals with their interests?

Also, i've been meaning to write more for this, but i'm a tad confused as to what we have or need now that the list is a week old. Most of the stuff that was remaining were only a panel or two long anyway. Do we more or less have a first draft?
    Last edited by Metman; 08-10-2010 at 11:54 PM.
    This lets you know that my post has ended

This is most excellent. I hope this ends up in the script.

Grrk, I'll go do that now. Gimme a couple minutes.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I'm curious, did you guys decide how to pronounce the four types of troll romances?

moirallegiance, moirail
    kismesis, kismesisses, kismesissitude
    auspistice, auspisticism, auspisticing, auspisticize
    Last edited by Avi; 08-11-2010 at 12:23 AM.

@Metman: Just the initial intro that deals with interests. There's still a few scenes and logs that need to be added in and a chunk that Solaris might have to find order for. I'll take a look to see what's missing.

Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

btw, I decided that I am going to try to get everything in order (and thus add some transitions to be edited when we are caught up to date)

Also, for lengthwise, if we are going to piggy-back on BlueBerry's show, we shouldn't take too much time.
    But if we are going to have our own show(which I volunteer for because next school year is going to be mostly easy for me) then length of the episodes is not really a real problem.
    Really, considering the complaints that Andrew is getting about Hivebent, we should probably wait until a focus shift before a releasing anything. But that might just be me being a worrywart.

Behold the power of my mighty midwestern enunciation! Also this is sort of a weird thing to do for a first post. Whatever. I sort of worked on a Final Fantasy radio play back in the day and when I saw this I kind of flipped out a little bit. I apologize in advance if there is some sort of First Post Rule, I would have known but I've been busy reading this thread instead. I will go read those things that are important now.

But first, aundintions.

Okay, this is what I've found for parts that weren't done. Some of them might be in the thread, but they weren't posted in the doc.

To do still:
    Explaination of GameGrub and Thresh Prince (are we even using this? It's somewhere on the thread, but nobody added it in the doc.)
    Aradia desecrating the ruins http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004039
    Equius's Convo with Gamzee
    Equius Convo with Vriska
    Equius enters the medium
    Vriska's First convo with Kanaya
    Vriska Kills Spidermom http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004168
    Equius steamrolls to the second gate
    Equius and Aradia meet
    Kanaya/CC's convo
    Recent Update about Matesprits/Kismesis', but I'll handle this after the whole romance section is done.

Optional sections to expand upon:

Worst rap off in paradox space
    Wheelchair jousting

Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 91617181920212229 ... LastLast