MSPA Forums
Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 101718192021222330 ... LastLast

Thread: Hivebent: The Radio Play

Re: Homestuck Radio Play (now drafting HIVEBENT)

so random question~ in the first post, are the ones that are listed under "obvious choices" mean those spots are basically filled, or can people still audition for that?

sorry if that's a dumb question, i was just kind of curious ffffff

Updated it's half an hour past bedtime goodnight

Rabbit Larva Beaverhawk nextian's Avatar

No, not at all a dumb question! That was my original vague mental casting for Hivebent. It has no bearing on what'll actually be cast.

Here's a question using the previous question as a springboard: who or how is casting going to be decided, anyways? Judges? Polls? Single elimination Yahtzee tournament?

Greetings and salutations.

I have joined for the soul purpose to warn all of you that I am about to mutilate the script.

But to serious for a few moments I will take up the duty as an editor and begin reading through the script. SO far it is looking promising, but I am wondering how chat logs are being "translated". So I am probably going to spend most of my time making sure that the jokes make sense in an oral format. For example the chat between aC and cT: In it aC points out cT's quirk of replacing x's with %, this may need to be changed. Perhaps with something along the lines of:

NEPETA: "Look at how you go out of your way to use words that have x's in them to make yourself look so smart."

(Not very good, I know, but something like that)

Another example is gA's chat with cC...

Feedback on this is appreciated before I begin to butcher.

On a completely unrelated note; Will we ever discuss scripting as a team? What I mean is will we ever (using some sort of chat program) actually as a group debate, critic, and generally brainstorm parts of the script? The current system of submitting a piece and then having editors do what the do best works fine. But it is a dreadfully slow system and ,personally, I believe that some parts require more attention. Such as:

Karkat's first encounter with Jack. Not only is it one of the first few face-to-face encounters but there is a lot going on between Jack's inner monologue and Karkat's unspoken dialogue. As it is at the moment (Since I have read at least that part) it's quite butchered.

Only an idea. And with that I will begin my work.

I like you, Gazpacho Soup. On the subject of a scripting chat, I believe that was brought up just a few post prior. And by "brought up", I mean people said "Hey we should do this". To be honest guys, up until now the whole "Actually putting out a product" thing has been kinda nebulous. I think we'd do well to start maybe assigning roles to people, like "mixer" or "director" or something. Or at the very least some sort of structure. I've seen too many good ideas just sort of fall out because of too much play and not enough work. And I really don't want this to happen to this thing. This is a really great idea! We just need to start buckling down a bit more and I think this will be one of the best things to come from the forums.

Basically what I'm saying is LET'S DO THIS LIKE BRUTUS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kebs View Post
    where is my like button i have to like this so hard

(that FF7 radio play I mentioned failed due to lack of organization and concrete deadlines/planning. Start setting real dates, people! Relying on a start date of 'when these characters are introduced' is already a pretty dangerous pitfall, since we have no clue when that will be)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuraiou View Post
    Relying on a start date of 'when these characters are introduced' is already a pretty dangerous pitfall, since we have no clue when that will be
    I've been saying this from the start, and facepalmed like a motherfucker when the decision was made

I really think I could be doing more to help, but I don't know what.

We took a vote on that last week, and the concern was that casting would not be fair otherwise; others wanted to wait until the end of Hivebent. I have to recommend that you read through the whole thread before you make a structural suggestion! We've discussed this and many other issues before, especially how we're planning to do the casting, which is on the first page of the thread: it's going to be a vote in an IRC channel. We've already worked out how it will be run and you can find it around page 12, I believe.

I'm sorry that the delay is so intense -- I too would have preferred an earlier casting date! -- but that's what people wanted!

I like you, Gazpacho Soup.
    -snip-
    Why thank you Kebs, I wasn't expecting such a compliment.

In other news I am slowly progressing through the script. Until now I have never realize how much text is in Hivebent, and Homestuck in general as well. Though with the permission of the thread I would like to begin editing the chats to make sense in an audio format. (Imagine it changing as from a text chat to a voice chat)

I would also like to point out that the narration might need to be drastically changed based on who is picked to narrate since the choices vary drastically in style.

Yep, we're expecting to do intense edits at some point to suit everything and everyone.

You'll notice, if you read the intro to the Karkat and Gamzee conversation, that this is still explicitly a text chat. I am not married to that idea, but it was one created by consensus, so before you start modifying it, let's hear from a few more people?

So, since nextian made the topic, I'll assume this is technically her/his project, and he/she should be assigning the roles and stuff? And as far as release dates go, I think before the end of the year would be a good tentative one. It'd give us just under half a year to make this thing PERFECT. Also, non-forumites. Do you think we should start recruiting outside of the forum for stuff? Like, actively going to places and showing off a bit of the script or something, maybe even a rough pesterlog chat or two? I think it would do good to get interest in the project up, and maybe we could even get a few talented people to come here and work on it with us! Then again, we already have a LOT of people grinding away on this already. There's a lot to consider, and we should make sure to figure most of it out before we get out of pre-production.

WELL DO THIS MAN

WELL MAKE THIS HAPEN

So, since nextian made the topic, I'll assume this is technically her/his project, and he/she should be assigning the roles and stuff? And as far as release dates go, I think before the end of the year would be a good tentative one. It'd give us just under half a year to make this thing PERFECT. Also, non-forumites. Do you think we should start recruiting outside of the forum for stuff? Like, actively going to places and showing off a bit of the script or something, maybe even a rough pesterlog chat or two? I think it would do good to get interest in the project up, and maybe we could even get a few talented people to come here and work on it with us! Then again, we already have a LOT of people grinding away on this already. There's a lot to consider, and we should make sure to figure most of it out before we get out of pre-production.

WELL DO THIS MAN

WELL MAKE THIS HAPEN
    Well why not get non-forumers?
    We'll just introduce them to our happy semi-insane family!
    Also WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP

Since I was the one who originally suggested waiting until after CA and CC are introduced, I feel I should say that it seemed like Andrew was going at a steady enough pace and with all of his promises about the act (edit: I mean Hivebent, sorry) ending sooner rather than later, it seemed logical enough. It still does in my opinion. But Andrew obviously doesn't always follow through with his plans, so I could understand if majority opinion might have changed by now. I dunno, I feel like this community is lively enough in the voice acting department that this won't just die like most unorganized projects, (though this one is admittedly unorganized as well).

If you guys feel like this is stagnating though, perhaps it would not be a bad idea to go ahead and appoint people to at least non-cast positions as was stated earlier. As far as I can tell the plan was to simply group direct, but maybe it would be beneficial to have some sort of appointed director? Though I don't want to put any more responsibility than has already been sorta carelessly shoved on you nextian, you have kind of been the de facto producer of this whole thing, so I have to ask what you think about this.
    Last edited by CasMat; 08-11-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nextian View Post
    Yep, we're expecting to do intense edits at some point to suit everything and everyone.

You'll notice, if you read the intro to the Karkat and Gamzee conversation, that this is still explicitly a text chat. I am not married to that idea, but it was one created by consensus, so before you start modifying it, let's hear from a few more people?
    Funny you should mention that, since it's one of the major reasons why I want to edit it. No offense to the one who wrote it but the narrator's intervention of the chat, asking Karkat to read it out loud, is quite ham-handed and completely unnecessary. Not only that but changing the chat into a "voice chat" is actually necessary for things like the aG and cC chat, or to be more precise, this joke:

CC: I'm -EXCIT----------------ED!
    CC: Pc)(ooooo.

GA: It Looks Like One Of Your Letters Got Away From You
    CC: )(a)(a yea)( I really launc)(ed t)(at one.
    GA: You Forked An Innocent D Loitering Over There By The Shout Pole Minding Its Own Business
    CC: )(-E)(-E!

The listener will not be able to see cC's quirk, so to someone who is not familiar with
    the joke beforehand it will make no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho Soup View Post
    Will we ever discuss scripting as a team? What I mean is will we ever (using some sort of chat program) actually as a group debate, critic, and generally brainstorm parts of the script?
    Would you like to do this? Give me a time and a place and i'll show up.

Edit: As for the writing of the pesterlogs, i assumed that many of them were simply copy and pasted in with the intention of working on them later.
    This lets you know that my post has ended

Oh yes before I forget, I will be happy to host a chat (IRC or otherwise) for team discussion and brainstorming. If anyone has any ideas for chat services to use I would deeply appreciate a suggestion.

Well, obviously the first thing we need is an actual leader. Someone in charge who can basically direct the project. Maybe more than one person, I don't know. But I do think we need at least one person who is actually EL PRESIDENTE of this whole shebang. How we're going to figure out who it's going to be, I have no idea. But I think it'll help this project some direction it's been pretty sorely lacking.

Also, I'm sorry if I'm coming kid of weird in all of this. I just don't want to see this die like so many other thing I've seen fade away.

Also I am very tired so it might be that too.

never mind I'm tired listen to Gazpacho \/\/
    Last edited by Kebs; 08-11-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Me=idiot.

If we're electing a leader, I, er, am going to emphatically bow out. I'm already doing some real life stuff that requires admin work and doing an archive effort with the fic thread. This makes sense too because it's looking like I won't be here when we do auditions. However, I would love to volunteer for a script editing position.

Well, obviously the first thing we need is an actual leader. Someone in charge who can basically direct the project. Maybe more than one person, I don't know. But I do think we need at least one person who is actually EL PRESIDENTE of this whole shebang. How we're going to figure out who it's going to be, I have no idea. But I think it'll help this project some direction it's been pretty sorely lacking.

Also, I'm sorry if I'm coming kid of weird in all of this. I just don't want to see this die like so many other thing I've seen fade away.

Also I am very tired so it might be that too.
    In my honest opinion a ONE SUPREME RULER never works out for any internet project, I say we create divisions with a head for each. (I.E. Editor-in-chief, Sound Manager, etc. etc.)

Yeah ,that's pretty much was I was trying to get at but stated in a way that doesn't sound insane. So what should the divisions be? Off the top of my head I can think of Script, Acting, and Other Sound/Mixing. What else?

We also need a Production coordinator to worry about how we're going to get this up -- it may seem small, but we're talking fairly large files to make available to a lot of people, and it's a bit involved thinking of the best way to stream everything!

Yeah ,that's pretty much was I was trying to get at but stated in a way that doesn't sound insane. So what should the divisions be? Off the top of my head I can think of Script, Acting, and Other Sound/Mixing. What else?
    Script writing and editing would probably be two different divisions. Music, sound effects, and voice acting would probably be divided up.

Edit: What she said.^^

I still would like the idea of an overseer, not someone with a lot of power, but more someone to make sure everything is running as it should. Making sure that people are on schedule and stuff. Does that make any sense at all? I need to go to bed.

Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 101718192021222330 ... LastLast