I JUST GOT PERMISSION FROM EIDOLON ORPHEUS TO USE HIS MUSIC
Originally Posted by HarMegidon
I just am asking why she is selling sausages at a funeral.
Originally Posted by inexpediency
Everyone is a hedgehog...on the inside.
Originally Posted by Tesseract
On a deadness scale of normal to doorknob I would rate her as double doorknob
Originally Posted by Jitka
fuck yeah sodium hexametaphosphate
that is my favorite hexametaphosphate
Malakin:because its actually the truman show just with ponys
crash826:far too much sense
Malakin:think about it
Malakin:it all makes sense
Originally Posted by Catbread
Those sound like some pretty badass park rangers.
Originally Posted by ranasan
Wow... it's like if someone managed to manifest Missingno. from Pokemon Red and Blue into the real world, grind it up into a fine powder and then snort it.
18:21 Girard so I learned something at the barber:
18:22 Daniel ?
18:22 Girard The entirety of England, London in particular, is actually a stage for the biggest production of the musical Oliver ever made.
18:22 Girard England is a giant musical.
18:22 Girard This explains the small children with cockney accents and giant hats who dance in the streets.
18:23 Daniel ...DAMN YOU MARY POPPINS!
18:23 Daniel DAMN YOU TO HELL!
For everybody interested in writing/editing part of the script, this is what you need to know.
Writing Style Guidelines:
- 3rd person omniscient, present tense. That means no "You are now such-and-such."
- There is only one narrator.
- The narrator drives the action to where it needs to go, but doesn't influence it. The narrator sets the scene but shall not speak where character dialogue or sound could do the job better.
- The narrator gives exposition for concepts and ideas when the characters can't naturally do it. Also during some scene transitions and dramatically
4th Wall issues:
- The narrator does not interact directly with the characters and vice versa.
- The narrator can address the audience but the characters do not. This includes Doc Scratch.
- Keep in mind that what normally constitutes the 4th wall in most scripts and literature may not apply here. This is because Homestuck/Hivebent is a webcomic about a game world where a bunch of friends play a game instead of a webcomic about a bunch of friends playing a game. This means that game abstractions like textblocks, moduses, psychouts, etc. are considered to be part of the universe, and the characters are aware of it. The 4th wall only breaks when referencing Andrew, The webcomic format, or the forums. That said, if a character does something in the comic that seems like a 4th break but isn't (such as Karkat's naming scene) then it is considered to be canon and part of the script. Make it work in universe, or treat character rants at the narrator like monologues. But don't start adding fake 4th wall breaks if they aren't part of the comic.
- All writers and editors have to keep sound effects and music heavily in mind. Sound is integral to this project, and the writers are responsible for putting the initial sound and music cues into the script.
- Just as with narration, don't have character dialogue when sound effects can do the job better. The less "I'm doing such and such" the better. Remember, make things make sense.
- Music will be used for scene transitions and to set the mood. If you have an already existing Homestuck album or fan tune in mind, add it tentatively to the script but keep in mind that we don't want to lean too heavily on preexisting music and we have to get permission for each tune we use. We do have a sound team that is happy to create any incidental music we need.
Other stylistic things:
- Character introductions will be moved to happen a bit further into the scene whenever possible. This means the action will start to get a glimpse of the character before the narrator introduces them. Some of the more tricky intros like Sollux's fakeout will have to be handled on a case by case basis.
- Writers have full liberty and are encouraged to break up and transform exposition textwalls into new scenes (IE: The troll life cycle, Imperial Drones). The less textwalls we have, the better.
- Action and sound effects can happen under the narration for pacing reasons. That said, keep it reasonable.
- Standard form for episode intros: "Hivebent, by Andrew Hussie. Adapted and performed by the MSPlayers. Episode (#): (Episode name)." - "When we last left our heroes, (short description of what each troll is doing, ie: Aradia is here doing this, Karkat is there doing that, Sollux is up a tree trying to lick the back of his elbow, and so forth. Don't put in all the trolls, just the ones that are relevant to the current and previous episode.)
- Music for the episode intro will be the same throughout, music for the endings will be different.
If you need any clarifications or have any questions about this, don't hesitate to PM me or ask me in chat.
If you're working on a missing scene or have called dibs on reworking a scene(not the latest stuff) then finish it. The priority for all rewrites is to finish the scenes at the beginning first, then the middle and so on, so the editing team can start working on things as we finish them. If you are working on a scene or want to work on a particular scene, please let someone on the main writing team know so we can prevent repeat scenes and get the script done faster.
Random, I officially adore you. Thank you for typing up the notes from the meeting we had last night!
Everyone, Random is now your new favorite person. Just so you know.
Also: I got permission from Radiation to use songs from Hivebent! The head of our music team, Dacen, is very excited to work with that music, as well as with a music team that he is currently looking to put together. More music updates as they happen.
If you aren't really familiar with Homestuck music and you're writing scenes, are you responsible for familiarizing yourself with said music and adding cues? Or can you just write something like Music: Sad and mournful and have it substituted later?
Anyway, here's some (hopefully) Style Guide conforming Spidery lusus death:
NARRATOR: Returning to the aftermath of a more recent misfortune, we find one young troll retrieves his dead custodian from the rubble below…
EQUIUS: Oh, brave Aurthuor…
NARRATOR: While another finds hers struggling to survive.
SFX: Rubble being moved and clattered together.
SPIDERMOM: pained screeching
VRISKA: Oh, my dear sweet custodian… how could this have happened?
SPIDERMOM: weakening screeching
VRISKA: I suppose I don’t really have a choice here. It’s just your time, I guess.
SFX: Clicking dice
VRISKA: Can I even get this done, with my rotten luck? Could a sufficient roll even be called good luck? exasperated sigh I don’t know.
SFX: slow dramatic dice roll.
VRISKA: Maybe the dead girl is right. Maybe the only way to beat my bad luck is to not care about the outcome.
NARRATOR: Seven of the FLUORITE OCTET land, narrowing the field down from the full 8^8. One tumbles through the air.
SFX VOICE: TUMBLE.
NARRATOR: Its outcome will decide among the eight remaining techniques.
SFX: Dice landing
SFX VOICE: GUILLOTINE DE LA MARQUISE
VRISKA: solemly Au revoir, spidermom.
SFX: Guillotine blade, disgusting spider-blood spurting noises
SFX: Cracking and falling rocks
NARRATOR: The mercy killing triggers an avalanche.
VRISKA: Aaah! All this and then that fucking musclehead’s hive gets dropped on me!
NARRATOR: But suddenly….
SFX: Sound of rocks stops. Sound of Hivestem getting zapped into the game.
A beat. Silence.
VRISKA: …what the hell?!? …ARADIA!
Last edited by aestheticGÃ¶tterdÃ¤mmerung; 08-14-2010 at 07:23 PM.
@Gotterdammerung: Yes ;P. You don't have to familiarize yourself with the album tunes, but believe me, you're losing nothing by listening to them on the Bandcamp site. But misc. cues just for mood, genre, parody, whatever are heavily encouraged too! No tunes are set in stone yet and it'll be up to the music team to make the final cut, but they're capable of making music for this too. And in some cases, that's going to be more than preferable.
Wait, wouldnt we also be waiting for at least one moer pesterlog for the both of them? I mean, so theat theres something that they cans say?
(Also sorry ive been gone but ive had to help a freind out for a show she's doing and its kinda ABSORBINH MY LIFE AND ABLILITY TO SPELL CORRECTLY IM SLEEPING NOW)