MSPA Forums

Thread: The Pesterlog Log

The Pesterlog Log

Have you ever wanted to see all of the brilliant Homestuck pesterlogs between 2 of your favorite characters but despaired at having to remember them all or use the search page? Despair no longer! Using the power of REGULAR EXPRESSIONS I have written a real working COMPUTER PROGRAM that creates a TABLE of EVERY PESTERLOG CONVERSATION.

Behold! (Personal page)

MSPA Wiki version! (Wiki page; a bit out of date)

Source code!
    Last edited by Omnomnomnivore; 12-01-2010 at 11:51 PM.

Re: The Pesterlog Log

That's actually pretty nifty.

Ooh, this is really nice. How long did it take you?

I started it like 3 weeks ago then gave up because parsing the search page was a lot harder than I thought since Andrew is actually pretty loose with the format... I buckled down and finished on Friday, then decided I wanted it on the MSPA wiki and figured out how to write wiki tables in the last hour. It turns out that the most reliable way to keep track of a character in Homestuck is by the color of their text rather than their name since everyone's got aliases and whatnot.

It was neat to confirm that John and Rose have had the most conversations, followed by Dave and John.

Bass practice reminder PaulPower's Avatar

That's really neat, albeit a little difficult to navigate.

Have you maybe thought of organising the table by character type rather than alphabetically? (i.e. having the four kids in the top left, then maybe the sprites, then the trolls). And maybe having a second table with just the number of conversations.

I could have a go at it if you don't want to wrestle with this stuff any more.

e: and then I went and did it anyway:

Also, for the hell of it, a Top 10 (well, 11):

1. John and Rose - 50
    2. John and Dave - 23
    3. Rose and Dave - 19
    4. Dave and Jade - 17
    5. John and Jade - 12
    6. John and Nannasprite - 11
    7. John and Terezi - 10
    =. Tavros and Vriska - 10
    9. Rose and Jade - 7
    =. John and Karkat - 7
    =. Aradia and Equius - 7
    Last edited by PaulPower; 08-09-2010 at 05:11 AM.

Okay, I incorporated some of PaulPower's suggestions into the page on the wiki.

I also stuck the source code at http://home.earthlink.net/~omnomnomnivore/pesterlog.py and an HTML version at http://home.earthlink.net/~omnomnomn...terloglog.html.

I've got to go to work now so I won't be able to do anything with this until late tonight

WOW Thank you for the incredible work you've done with this!

One thing I was going to suggest, which I feel lousy not really contributing but I know next to no programming-

Making the table smaller with just the number of conversations, as a link to expand it out to show them all in that one section, just to make the table a bit smaller when you're only looking for one character's conversations.

Again- this is such an awesome page!

Wow, great job. This makes it way easier to analyze relationships (*cough* ships). Way to go omnonom!!
    Hey there.

Advisor Citrusrostrum The Random One's Avatar

How does it handle memos? Do they count as a conversation for each pair of characters.

(Also praise praise, nicely done etc.)

Yes! This is awesome, thank you! I can already see this saving me hours of searching for a conversation and getting off-track re-reading everything instead.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulPower View Post
    One little thing: Kanaya and John did have a conversation besides the one where he pretended to be Rose. And I think you forgot Feferi's (2?) conversations with Eridan.

[EDIT] Never mind, you already know all that. I just noticed that it says it's correct through 8/8/10. I need to look at stuff before I post things.
    Last edited by Kiwise; 10-27-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Secretly a dragon catharticCarnifex's Avatar

This.

I just used this.

This deserves some kind of fucking medal. You just made my life so much easier.

-} DevArt - Tumblr - Twitter - Pail Day 2011 - Lodgetrenched the RP - My Blarg {-
    Favorite songs and remixes

The Land of Slow Turning Gears and Sentimental Hearts (LoSTGaSH)

It's kinda too big, but it helps me find all my favorite references.
    Like pirouettes and worst rap offs in the history of paradox space.
    Nice job.
    Edit: oh and by the way, i google searched homestuck pesterlogs and your post was like the third one down. easy for me to find!
    Edit 2: mmm python. (that was a little weird, sorry)
    Last edited by Tolma; 11-23-2010 at 12:35 AM.

This is incredibly fantastic.

The Pesterlog Log was really helpful in adding all the Pesterlogs to each character's wiki page infobox. Took a damn long time anyways, but it's pretty useful, I think.

You sicken me. appleMechanicist's Avatar

Thanks for this, pretty useful
    Your chumhandle is appleMechanicist, which kinda makes sense because you LIKE APPLES and you LIKE THEM GREEN, although it has nothing to do with MECHANICIST, you should be more like the appleMayor, but you can't, so DEAL WITH IT. You tend to write quite normal actually....except you tend to write mayo(r) like this.

There was definitely a Nepeta/Rose conversation fairly recently - when Rose gave Jaspersprite away?
    abstractPrescriptus on Pesterchum - Nepetaquest 2011 programmer and musician - Soundcloud and Tindeck

Yeah, this needs to be updated. A lot.
    My formspring

Oh wow! I literally have not looked at this thread since I first posted the log back in August. Glad to see that people like it though!

Anyway, I found the wiki really hard to work with, and kind of ugly to smudge a giant table into. So instead I've been maintaining a pure-HTML version here. This *is* up-to-date - John and Vriska's conversation from tonight is in there.

The version on the wiki has had other people edit it. Which is great, but at that point I can't just generate it from my program anymore without clobbering their admirable work. So I got kind of scared to touch it.

As for memos: they are excluded. The best you could do is include every pair of people that participated in a conversation, which is kind of disingenuous because it's not like *everyone* talks to *everyone* else. Just because Equius and Eridan show up in the same memo doesn't mean they actually interact. Plus it's just a pain to parse them.
    Last edited by Omnomnomnivore; 12-02-2010 at 12:01 AM.
    Find your favorite pesterlogs: Pesterlog Log

Recently Andrew has moved to splitting up single "conversations" across multiple pages quite frequently. This was making the log get very bloated, so I changed the software to spit out links only to the first page, and indicate the number of pages. I updated both the HTML version and wiki version.
    Find your favorite pesterlogs: Pesterlog Log

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

THANK YOU!

I spent forever trying to find the Terezi x Aradia pesterlog prior to finding this, so thank you again for the chart. Really helpful.
    XD