MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBURB Minecraft Mod Project

The guy who does things FlamingTROUT's Avatar
    The plane in between physical and metaphysical space.

SBURB Minecraft Mod Project

(I wasnt sure if this should go in games or mspa)
    So there's this game called Minecraft you might have heard of. Recently released was the alpha, which is amazing. People have been modding the Alpha in all sorts of ways. I was looking through here and I thought: "Hey, MSPA Forums has some people who can program and make textures and stuff, I bet some of them play Minecraft..."
    So I thought I'd start a project to create some Homestuck based content for Minecraft and such...
    So if you:
    1. Own the minecraft alpha
    2. Have programming (java) experience
    and
    3. Want to do this.
    I'll sign you up. We need programmers, designers, and any other things that would help.
    If this gets off to a good start we should have plenty of skins/texture packs, and maybe start making weapons and such. If not, it will sink and die! So if you have any suggestions/contributions to the project, Im happy to accept them. Also, if this thread needs to be moved, thats cool too.

Resident Duel Critic NoobOfLore's Avatar

Re: SBURB Minecraft Mod Project

We have a thread for forum-based Minecraft nonsense, probably should've brought it there. But I heartily support this endeavor. Honestly, you're probably better off taking it to the Minecraft forums, though. They tend to be much better equipped for modding and the such. It doesn't hurt that MSPA seems to be pretty popular down there as well. Even a bunch of people touting MSPA avatars instead of the obligatory Notch Face avatars.
    Last edited by NoobOfLore; 08-11-2010 at 09:08 PM.

I see where you're coming from. I kind of wanted to have a root post to work off of and edit. I wanted to start here, and take it to the MC forums when it had made progress.

Secret Wizard Clan Member kizzycocoa's Avatar

I myself thought of doing this, but I couldn't be asked to do it. especially making the spider a form of dersian.
    good luck! can't wait to see it

I've thought of that. I think I could make a basalisk by making the middle legs transparent.

Secret Wizard Clan Member kizzycocoa's Avatar

all the legs are made by one texture :P

Knight of Rainbows Mechanical Bull's Avatar

This sounds pretty cool! Although there's already some MSPA stuff out there for Minecraft; I have a Hella Jeff skin, and made a Doc Scratch one too (it sucked)

Sounds cool i would help but my experience stops at making my dwarf skin

Yeah, there's pretty much no way this wasn't gonna end up getting made by someone. I was actually thinking about this kind of thing as I was lying awake in bed last night.

So what's your idea of how this will actually work? A complete quest with monsters and an Echeladder and Gates to other worlds (but you can still access previous Worlds as you left them), or just Homestuck skins? I was envisioning starting in an ordinary suburb like John's, and you're in your house, and you need to use a Cruxite item before the meteor hits you ... and a cutscene of a blocky mushroom cloud ...

My plan was to start with skins, and then go more advanced. Random World archetypes would include: LOHAC, LOWAS, LOLAR, LOPAH, LOSAZ, LOCAS, LOQAM, and LOMAT. Each with their custom terrains.
    For example In the LOWAS archetype, an Oil block would replace water, the ground would be blueish, and the trees would be greenish. We'll see where that takes us. Scripted events may be a bit complitcated.

It would rock if we could make the little floating "dropped item" sprites different for building materials, so that when you chop wood it looks like grist until you pick it up.

I cant believe its not butter

Quote Originally Posted by nupanick View Post
    It would rock if we could make the little floating "dropped item" sprites different for building materials, so that when you chop wood it looks like grist until you pick it up.
    You can, if I'm correct. You can edit the item skins (weapons, buckets, torches, etc) with one of the files in the JAR file. The icons are then changed in-game.

What you're talking about making it do is just look like grist. It would stay looking like said grist in your inventory, but would look like the texture file when put down.

I know that, but when you break something, a little cube-shaped icon appears as a pickup item. Do those have the texture applied automatically, or can you change those, too?

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I would be interesting in helping out in a programming capacity.

Wouldn't it be best if we waited for Minecraft's official mod support to come out? Notch was talking about some kind of "importing mods to completely overwrite server-side functions" or something like that on his blog awhile back, and once we get that, modding will be alot easier.

Certainly if you want to anything gameplay-wise, yes. The ability to make any programmatic changes is very limited at the moment.

The Terrible Terrapin Awkward Turtle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by immortius View Post
    Certainly if you want to anything gameplay-wise, yes. The ability to make any programmatic changes is very limited at the moment.
    A friend of mine did this. I might be able to get him to help.

This is picking up some speed, immortius, glad to have you, Awkward Turtle, That would be AWESOME.

The Terrible Terrapin Awkward Turtle's Avatar

He's an MSPA fan too, so it shouldn't be too hard to get him in on this.

He's asleep right now, though. I'll have to ask him tomorrow.

Not a signature, but close. TacticGamer's Avatar

In minecraft only?

Why not do it in real-life!

Add the ability to manipulate the environment around you with a hovering cursor and also add alchemization and make the game recognize your personality and make it give you a world and title fitting it!

oh wait.

I'm in on this.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticGamer View Post
    In minecraft only?

Why not do it in real-life!

Add the ability to manipulate the environment around you with a hovering cursor and also add alchemization and make the game recognize your personality and make it give you a world and title fitting it!

oh wait.
    I was always under the impression that the titles aren't actually descriptions of who you are now, but what you will be if you survive to the end. John's already started to become the Heir by following in his father's footsteps with the suit and the pranks and everything, and Dave's working on being the Knight and protecting his bros... but Jade clearly started as a seer and Rose started as a witch, so they're probably gonna have a total change of attitude by the end of the story.

Just dropping in to mention that Minecraft began as a mere ripoff of another block game called Infiniminer, which just so happens to be open-source.

EDIT: A similar open-source game is Manic Digger, the ripoff of the ripoff.
    Last edited by Gyro; 08-22-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
    Just dropping in to mention that Minecraft began as a mere rip-off of another game called Infiniminer, which just so happens to be open-source.
    actually, it began after the creator of infiniminer cried like a baby and abandoned his project, renouncing it, and minecraft doesn't use its source at all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast