MSPA Forums
Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast

Thread: MSPA fan fiction 2

Re: MSPA fan fiction 2

I hadn't been paying much attention to Impermanence, but that was really cool. :O

Formerly Godpiece MrEdwardNigma's Avatar

Ugh, why did my first bit of story ever have to end up on the bottom of a page? Anyways, check out the bottom of the previous page. It's the start of my modest little fanfic.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Small Gods (A Textventure)
    Check it out!

hass the charts Music Team Tenebrais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VagabondRaiser View Post
    Impermanence: Hearts Across Time
    Chapter 2: Awakening
    This is awesome. Don't stop writing.

Nigma, I only skimmed yours because I don't particularly enjoy OC fics. Nonetheless, your writing seems competent and the style is quite unique.

Haha. It's hard to write about popular music in a future fic. Anachronisms!!!!!!!! Ignore them.

Get Misunderstood
    Quick and dirty Future-Chums. Dave/Jade, Rose/John. Links to music (youtube).
    Inspired heavily by sarasvati's amazing fic.

BadFic @ Archive of Our Own
    Never updates @ tumblr
    idek anymore @ Formspring

The Cthulhu Of Suburbia JudgeDeadd's Avatar

Haha, Nigma. Like a darker-and-edgier version of Homestuck. Nicely written, and morbid enough to attract my attention. Wonder what you'll do with it.
    Morthol Dryax on Formspring / My chumhandle's hourslongBrouhaha, have fun "talking" to me since I'm never online!
    ~~~~~~~~

Formerly Godpiece MrEdwardNigma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeDeadd View Post
    Haha, Nigma. Like a darker-and-edgier version of Homestuck. Nicely written, and morbid enough to attract my attention. Wonder what you'll do with it.
    Thank you, that's exactly what I was going for.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Small Gods (A Textventure)
    Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Valter View Post
    Consider yourself seethed.
    Ah, I am seethed. In a second I'm probably going to adjust the chapter according to your suggestions. Thanks!

Great work, as usual. Seeing all these AUs is going to be fun. Is pirate world next? I hope pirate world is next.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEdwardNigma View Post
    Hmmmm, isn't it funny how when you "Go Advanced" less options are displayed than when you quick reply on this new forum?

Anyways, I decided to have a go at this "fan fiction" thing all the cool kids are talking about.

A Cautionary Tale
    Mr. Nigma, I'm hoping to see more out of this. You've gotten off to a good start.

Also, if you look at your general settings (Edit Profile -> General Settings) and scroll all the way to the bottom, you'll see that you actually have your choice between three different editors for your reply. You're probably using the Basic Editor right now - I know because I had the same problem until I fixed it. The Standard Editor is what we're all used to from the old forums.

EDIT: AUGH, sorry breccia! I missed your fic when I was multiquoting. Anyway, it's great too! The music was an excellent backdrop for the story, and I like Dave's little version of the tortured artiste mentality.
    Last edited by resdaMalos; 08-24-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: I am not so great at quoting you guys
    My chumhandle is resdaMalos and i...tend...to...trail...off...a...bit...

View my Ao3 profile, read my stories.

Currently working on:
    Scratch: 1 2 3 4 5

Everyone above me is awesome, just throwing that out there.

I wrote this because I enjoy second-person Dave, and angst, and drunken PTSD. And because sleep is for pussies.

Originally the story ended there, but if you want here's a sequel hook because I can never stop writing shippy fluff.

Completely unedited, just written straight from my brain at four in the morning. So critique away.
    Last edited by raequiem; 08-24-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Formatting is fun!

Quote Originally Posted by breccia View Post
    Haha. It's hard to write about popular music in a future fic. Anachronisms!!!!!!!! Ignore them.

Get Misunderstood
    Quick and dirty Future-Chums. Dave/Jade, Rose/John. Links to music (youtube).
    Inspired heavily by sarasvati's amazing fic.

Okay, the writing isn't bad in anyway. But namedropping every single song you mention offhand is frankly just masturbatory. It sours the whole piece.

Think of it like Chekhov's gun, Chekhov's links, do they serve any purpose to the story? No? Then they do not have a purpose.
    Last edited by Spleen; 08-24-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: misspelled 'chekhov'

Quote Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
    Okay, the writing isn't bad in anyway. But namedropping every single song you mention offhand is frankly just masturbatory. It sours the whole piece.

Think of it like Chekhov's gun, Chekhov's links, do they serve any purpose to the story? No? Then they do not have a purpose.
    Some of the "name drops" are pretty tongue-in-cheek (John has bad taste) and the fic only came about because of the song it's titled after. If it came off as self-indulgent then that sucks, because that wasn't my goal. It started off just as the files that they were sending each other (if it was a pesterlog it would have a link) but I just kept going because there were other songs I felt like including. I just went for something different -- It seemed fitting to try and make a Dave fic musical. It's definitely not something I'm going to use in any other writing!
    BadFic @ Archive of Our Own
    Never updates @ tumblr
    idek anymore @ Formspring

Some of the "name drops" are pretty tongue-in-cheek (John has bad taste) and the fic only came about because of the song it's titled after. If it came off as self-indulgent then that sucks, because that wasn't my goal. It started off just as the files that they were sending each other (if it was a pesterlog it would have a link) but I just kept going because there were other songs I felt like including. I just went for something different -- It seemed fitting to try and make a Dave fic musical. It's definitely not something I'm going to use in any other writing!
    Alright, I get what you were going for, and the writing is good, much better than I could do (then again, I can only write things that are clinical even for police reports). I kinda snapped at it because I was in a bad mood from doing a bunch of ethics case studies.

I quite liked it! Seems to me if you're going to write a story in a non-traditional medium you might as well take advantage of it from time to time. Hypertextuality, ladies and gents, it's the evolution of storytelling!

What's a God to a Non-Believer Moderator Solaris's Avatar
    Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY FED SOLARIS YOUR DELICIOUS FIC

Quote Originally Posted by MrEdwardNigma View Post
    Hmmmm, isn't it funny how when you "Go Advanced" less options are displayed than when you quick reply on this new forum?
    Go to your settings, find General Settings, and where it says Message Editor Interface, change the tab to standard.

oh my god, so many great things happening in this thread!!

EDIT: OMG I'M STARTING POLISH NEXT SEMESTER!!! is it hard????
    Last edited by northernVehemence; 08-24-2010 at 03:59 PM.

The Cthulhu Of Suburbia JudgeDeadd's Avatar

I wonder what would my Polish teacher say if she knew that most of my reading done in summer were fanfics
    Morthol Dryax on Formspring / My chumhandle's hourslongBrouhaha, have fun "talking" to me since I'm never online!
    ~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by raequiem View Post
    Everyone above me is awesome, just throwing that out there.

I wrote this because I enjoy second-person Dave, and angst, and drunken PTSD. And because sleep is for pussies.
    That was so awesome. I loved it!

@NorthernVehemence: Thanks! And um, sorry for stepping on what seems like a pet peeve. There's going to be plenty of development of the other kids and how they've coped as well, Dave is just a fun POV character so I started with him.

@Tenebrais: *feels loved*

More on the way!

Bass practice reminder PaulPower's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by northernVehemence View Post
    My question is, why are there so many future-Dave fics?? I mean, I love them all, I really do, but I think that one could just as easily do something really interesting with the other kids. SO THAT IS MY CHALLENGE TO YOU, FANFIC THREAD.
    Well, if I was going to hazard a guess...

(also I feel kind of evil for asking this, but did you not see "Plan B" or could you not think of anything to say about it?)
    Last edited by PaulPower; 08-24-2010 at 05:20 PM.

You could always have, say, Rose falling in love with Kanaya. Then getting deeply depressed because back on Earth, the woman she loves has been dead for billions of years.

Rose/Kanaya is the only Rose pairing I can really read or write. Dave is sort of her brother and probably also her moirail, John is a legitimate romantic option if his dad and Rose's mom weren't clearly in love, making John sort of her half-brother, and of all the pairings between the chums, Jade/Rose is probably the least probable. (We never really get a good feel on how those two feel about each other. They've talked, but not as much as any other two chums.)

And even Rose/Kanaya feels more like it should be Kanaya pursuing it, since she's the one who likes girls and idolizes the Tentacle Therapist.

Abomination Unto Nature Red Pen's Avatar

Well now I kind of want to write some Rose/Kanaya fic. But I also need to get my rear in gear and finish the fic I'm already working on. I am conflicted!

Also, that fic with DD was great! He's one of my favorite characters; it's cool to read something from his perspective.

No harm in taking time out to write something different. Hell, I have four ongoing fics on the burner right now.

Does anyone else have as many fanfics in the fire as I have?
    You doubt it.

Esabelle is awesome c: Metaflare's Avatar

REDPEN. Just write like a small ficlet like I did. I WOULD LOVE YOU FOREVAR if you did. FOR. EVAR.
    http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9202/littlebanner.png
    TROLLS IN SPOILER|TUMBLR HERE|IN WHICH ME AND MY FRIENDS PLAY GAMES

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi Database View Post
    ... John is a legitimate romantic option if his dad and Rose's mom weren't clearly in love, making John sort of her half-brother...
    Nope. They're not biologically related and they weren't raised as siblings, so there's no reason not to have them together. (At least, that's my justification for OOH SHINY WEDDING BELLS 8D)

I AM SARASVATI AND I APPROVE OF THIS FLOOD OF DAVE/JADE

am I the biggest fangirl? hell fucking yes I am.

VR: okay I loved Impermanence before, but now that it has like a structure and a plot I love it even more. Jade being sweet and adorable and Dave just sort of falling apart at the seams when he thinks she's dead ahhhh man that's some good shipping. This is by far the fic of yours that I most look forward to you writing!

breccia: okay breccia. breccia. i have a very important thing to say. breccia. are you listening. it is the most important thing.

marry me. please.

this was so incredible. Dave just kind of holding himself together (sort of) and Rose being helpful in her clinical way and John being such a huge dork and his best friend forever and Jade just being sweet and sad and patient and waiting for Dave to get his shit together. so simple but everything comes through so clear and augh 3

and I am a HUGE audiophile so I genuinely loved the addition of a soundtrack to back this piece, and I think you handled the concept wonderfully. it was very unintrusive, and optional in the best way, because you don't lose anything if you decide not to listen to the music. I listened to it though and found it so fitting (and clapped my hands at French music, literally the first time in my life that speaking French has come in handy). The whole thing was pieced together like a song meme, only instead of a set amount of clips and scenarios to a set amount of songs, it was one flowing narrative. very clever.

raequiem: okay well I love it basically anytime Dave just kind of falls apart (so surprising right??) so yeah I love the hell out of this fic. I enjoyed the standard fanon of Dave feeling the flow of time actually being deeply distressing. I also love Jade tracking him down and being the one to get all fussy mother bear on him in a "dave strider you get your shit together right now" kind of way. so. good.

I missed a bunch of stuff but I'm going to try to catch up on it and comment like a madwoman over on AO3 because I adore all of you guys I'm serious

it also deeply depresses me that I don't have anything finished to give to the brand new fic thread, so instead, have a piece of an unfinished one. I am so sorry.

snippet from candlelight
    (the rose story from the we drive by braille series)

Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast