MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Character Creator (1.0 -Updated 15 Aug 2012) - It's multiplatform now!

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Character Creator (1.0 -Updated 15 Aug 2012) - It's multiplatform now!

Since the original version of the Character Creator proved far more popular than I imagined, people were quickly demanding a Mac version. With the original written in Game Maker, a poor choice for a number of reasons, this was all but impossible.
    But I've rewritten the entire thing in Java, so it's multiplatform now!
    The only downside of that is the fact that savegames from the Game Maker version aren't compatible with this rewritten version. But characters shouldn't be too hard to recreate.

Allow me to present, the new, shiny, crossplatform CHARACTER CREATOR:

DOWNLOAD
    Download Character Creator 1.0 here (Mirror). Be sure to extract all files from the zip-file before running the program, otherwise it can't find the image and settings files. Also, you might want to continue reading, if you're not sure how everything works.

First, I'll briefly explain how to use this program, but I hope I've made everything relatively self-explanatory. The download link is below that, followed by a chapter on how to add your own images, parts, and even whole new layouts. Next is a chapter on how you can help the development of this project. At the very end is the old first post because I'm terrible at throwing stuff away.

CONTROLS

1. This is the character itself. It is the result of all your hard work. You can select different body parts by clicking on them. Another way is described at point 5. The part you have currently selected is outlined in red. This outline will not show on saved images (see point 7 on how to save).
    2. This button selects the previous image for the selected part. If no part is selected, this button is disabled.
    3. Similar to the previous entry, this button selects the next image for the selected part. This button is also disabled if there is no selection.
    4. This dropdown list provides a different way for you to select an image. Clicking on this shows a list (as displayed), where you can select a specific image. This dropdown box is also disabled if no part is selected.
    5. Sometimes a part is obscured by another part (for instance, with big hairdos clicking the face or eyes can be difficult). This dropdown list allows you to select from all the available body parts. It is never disabled, since it is also useful if you don't have a part selected.
    6. These controls allow you to change the colour of a body part. Select which colour you want to change, and drag the slider. You can also change transparency this way, by selecting 'Alpha'.
    7. Here you can open menus. They're used to save, load, and exit. Here's some screenshots:

Saving to text means you can load it up again later, through the 'Load...' menu. Saving to the clipboard is the easiest way to share characters on forums and the like. Characters saved to an image can't be loaded up again, so if you want to keep your design, be sure to also save as text.
      The 'Info' menu should be pretty self-explanatory. The 'Help' item shows a short explanation on how to use the program, the 'Forum Link...' item opens this thread in your browser (if your Java version supports it), and the 'About' link is there for my ego, and also for credits.

There's also keyboard shortcuts, which you can see listed in the menus. I'll sum them up here:
    LEFT and RIGHT arrows cycle through the images, UP and DOWN arrows cycle through the parts.
    CONTROL+S brings up a prompt to save the current character to text, CONTROL+I does the same for saving as an image, and CONTROL+C puts the character as text on your clipboard for easy sharing.
    CONTROL+L brings up a prompt to load a character saved to text, CONTROL+V loads a character from the clipboard, if there is a character on there.
    F1 brings up the help popup.

ADDING PARTS YOURSELF
    I hope a lot of people will help me with this, but since it isn't of immediate use when messing around with the program, and this post is getting long enough as it is, I'll put this explanation in spoiler tags.

HOW YOU (YES, YOU!) CAN HELP
    1. Report any bugs you find. Mention everything you find unintuitive, unclear or too hidden. Make suggestions for functionality you would like to see added.
    2. Make new images for existing parts. Preferably from Homestuck itself, but if you find or draw a nice piece of clothing that fits with the style, go ahead.
    3. Create whole new layouts. I specifically made Character Creator to not be limited to Homestuck characters and body types. With the right '.partslist' and images , you could turn this into a character designer for your favourite tv show, anime, or video game (See the 'Adding Parts Yourself' chapter for how to do this).
    4. Spread the word. I didn't make this to be hidden away, and I'm shallow enough to like seeing download counts go up.
    5. Lay unending praise upon me.

KNOWN ISSUES
    I know there's some stuff wrong and some things I'd like to improve. They're listed here so that you don't need to point them out, I'm already aware of them.
    • Saved characters from the old Game Maker-made 'Homestuck Character Creator' are not compatible with this version. If you compare the save formats of the two versions, you can see similarities, but hopefully also important differences. Since I don't think there are a lot of people that have old characters they want to open in this shiny new version, I'm not going to put effort in writing an importer. Besides, it shouldn't be hard to recreate old characters in the new Character Creator.
    • The ordering of the 'Select Image' dropdown list is different on different OSes. I don't know why this happens, and luckily it isn't too important as it doesn't break anything. But I would still like to have the images list be the same for everybody.
    • Some form of in-program aligning of images. At the moment you need to select a different image and then go back to your image for changes made to a text file to be rendered. Ideally, that should be possible from inside Character Creator in the future. There are some hurdles to overcome with adding that though, but it is on my to-do list.
    • Limited selection of body part images. I am very aware of this, and I need your help in solving this problem. If you only cut out one image of a body part from a Homestuck panel, line it up properly and share it here, you've helped solve this issue, and I'll be thankful for that.
    • The 'Save' and 'Load' dialogs can kind of crap out if you use a filename with special characters in it. I'm not entirely sure how to solve it, so in the mean time the workaround is not to use special characters in the names of your save files. Special characters in this case are: / ? < > \ : * | ”.

CREDITS
    Hussie, for MSPA (obv)
    Polynomious1 - for some body part images.
    temporallyGifted - for a LOT of images. I think it's safe to say most of the parts at the moment were made by him/her. Thanks!

Old Obsolete Original Post:
    Last edited by Didero; 10-17-2012 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Added a DropBox mirror, for people that can't download from MediaFire

Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

Re: Homestuck Character Creator (Beta)

It's quite an awesome idea. The part collection is a little small though.

Also, I have no idea how hard this would be to implement in GM, but it would rock if you could recolor your sprite's components from within the interface.

Neat.

Esabelle is awesome c: Metaflare's Avatar

oh man downloading this right now
    http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9202/littlebanner.png
    TROLLS IN SPOILER|TUMBLR HERE|IN WHICH ME AND MY FRIENDS PLAY GAMES

Oh man, this has potential, it'll make it a lot easier for forum-goers with little to no artistic or technical skills to make a sprite avatar they can be content with.

I wholeheartedly support this thing.

Big Gay Nerd Moderator Elementoid's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

I think it would be a good idea to go back and look at the original sprites to make sure they're appearing on the right spot on the character. John's eyes are looking a little too high on his head there.

Looks nice.

-Edit- Well, huh. It saved my little creation as an image file, like I told it to, but said image file was blank. Is this just me?
    Last edited by Bink; 09-08-2010 at 06:56 PM.
    Steeeeaaam:

Advisor Citrusrostrum The Random One's Avatar

This is pretty awesome. If I didn't like doing this is Photoshop GIMP so much I'd be all over this.

Slightly Magnificent Imitator rommel's Avatar

For some reason mediafire keeps timing out whenever I try to DL it... could you upload it somewhere else as a backup?

Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

Took some random sprite parts and added them:

http://miff.furopolis.org/misc/mspa/miff_addons_01.zip

Includes dream John and regular suit bodies, Dreambot and Terezi "eyes", and Karkat hair.

Now I'm going to bed.

Swedish Trollmaker Sarcredsleuth's Avatar

It's fantastic, but you should really make more pieces, but otherwise, this is AWESOME.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Miff View Post
    It's quite an awesome idea. The part collection is a little small though.

Also, I have no idea how hard this would be to implement in GM, but it would rock if you could recolor your sprite's components from within the interface.
    Thanks
    As I've mentioned in the first post, I'll keep adding parts, and hopefully with a little help from this forum.
    And I'll look into that colouring idea, but it does seem difficult to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by icu2jimy View Post
    Neat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaflare View Post
    oh man downloading this right now
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaicPhilosopher View Post
    Oh man, this has potential, it'll make it a lot easier for forum-goers with little to no artistic or technical skills to make a sprite avatar they can be content with.

I wholeheartedly support this thing.
    That's the goal, yeah. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elementoid View Post
    I think it would be a good idea to go back and look at the original sprites to make sure they're appearing on the right spot on the character. John's eyes are looking a little too high on his head there.
    I'll look into that, the very least the HCC should be able to do is replicate existing Homestuck characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bink View Post
    Looks nice.

-Edit- Well, huh. It saved my little creation as an image file, like I told it to, but said image file was blank. Is this just me?
    That's not good! Which bodypart images did you use? (You can save the character as .hcc file and post the contents of that file here, it should be in plain text and just a few lines) Also, what OS are you using? I remember Game Maker 7 having a bit of trouble with Windows 7 in a few places. If you are on Windows 7, try running the program in Compatibility Mode, that might fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Random One View Post
    This is pretty awesome. If I didn't like doing this is Photoshop GIMP so much I'd be all over this.
    Hah, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Varkarrus View Post
    This is infinitely better than my imp generator.
    This can become an imp generator too, if you have enough images of imp bodyparts, and you don't mind sharing them

Quote Originally Posted by rommel View Post
    For some reason mediafire keeps timing out whenever I try to DL it... could you upload it somewhere else as a backup?
    Sure! I just don't know another good place to upload this to, that doesn't have annoying things like popups and download timers. Any suggestions?

Took some random sprite parts and added them:

http://miff.furopolis.org/misc/mspa/miff_addons_01.zip

Includes dream John and regular suit bodies, Dreambot and Terezi "eyes", and Karkat hair.

Now I'm going to bed.
    Thanks for the parts! That's the second goal of this thread, getting more parts
    One minor point though: The image of Karkat's hair doesn't line up with the head properly, but it does in your image. Is the 'Hair_Karkat.png.ini' missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcredsleuth View Post
    It's fantastic, but you should really make more pieces, but otherwise, this is AWESOME.
    Thanks. And I know there's too few pieces, that's half the reason why I made this thread, to ask some help with collecting bodypart images.
    Last edited by Didero; 09-09-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

Quote Originally Posted by Didero View Post
    Thanks for the parts! That's the second goal of this thread, getting more parts
    One minor point though: The image of Karkat's hair doesn't line up with the head properly, but it does in your image. Is the 'Hair_Karkat.png.ini' missing?
    Dang... I forgot my INI files...
    I updated the zip file to include them: http://miff.furopolis.org/misc/mspa/miff_addons_01.zip

This is what happens when you do this stuff at 1 in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bink View Post
    Looks nice.

No, not just you. I tried for multiple combinations of items, and it always saved blank. >_< I'm not on windows 7, I'm using Vista.
    My chumhandle is ghostlyAggressor

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Dang... I forgot my INI files...
    I updated the zip file to include them: http://miff.furopolis.org/misc/mspa/miff_addons_01.zip

This is what happens when you do this stuff at 1 in the morning.
    Heh, the effort is appreciated nonetheless.
    And they look even better when properly positioned
    Your eyes do make it seem like the default position for mouths is too high... I'll take a look at that tomorrow, that isn't too hard to change.

Quote Originally Posted by entropicage View Post
    No, not just you. I tried for multiple combinations of items, and it always saved blank. >_< I'm not on windows 7, I'm using Vista.
    Hmm, Vista too?
    Did you try running it in Compatibility Mode?

Too bad I can't get a registered version of Game Maker 8, that would solve this problem rather quickly. Stupid Yoyogames and their cutoff period on free upgrades.

South of John, West of Rose and Dave, East of Jade.

So I tried making a Holy Order uniform from Guilty Gear for this. But when I added (compiled?) it, it just showed up blank. (For the record I'm using XP) If someone could please help me with what I did wrong or make it work themselves I would love you forever.

Insignirodentiamourous Varkarrus's Avatar

These were the templates I used.

Imps (taken from the wiki):

Ogres (thanks to ProfesserLizard):

Basilisks (thanks to A fan, and elrunethe2nd):

Liches (thanks to aphoticConniver)

Giclops (thanks to Drillgorg!)

Queen (thanks to whatPumpkin):

Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

Your eyes do make it seem like the default position for mouths is too high... I'll take a look at that tomorrow, that isn't too hard to change.
    Well, for the Dreambot eyes, I didn't use an INI file since they were the exact same size as Jade's eyes and those didn't have one. For Terezi's, I added them without an INI and then compared them to the position on Terezi's official sprite when the head part was lined up.

And it runs fine for me on my Vista PC, which was what I used to make the parts I added.

lycanthropically challenged CaptainZaven's Avatar

I don't quite know how this would work, but would it be possible to have a symbol characteristic? So that it would be possible to place the zodiacs or the kid's symbols on the front of the bodies? Other than that, this is a pretty spiffy idea!

Slightly Magnificent Imitator rommel's Avatar

Sure! I just don't know another good place to upload this to, that doesn't have annoying things like popups and download timers. Any suggestions?
    Rapidshare has a timer yeah, but it would be more a backup to mediafire (which is now undergoing maintenance, so I still can't download the file fnnnnnnnnrg ) rather then a dedicated link. A fall back download I guess.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by azureZoosmell View Post

So I tried making a Holy Order uniform from Guilty Gear for this. But when I added (compiled?) it, it just showed up blank. (For the record I'm using XP) If someone could please help me with what I did wrong or make it work themselves I would love you forever.
    Hmm, what program did you make the image in? From testing, it seems like it was saved at a bit depth Game Maker apparently doesn't support. I'm using Paint.NET, and when you save a PNG file with it, you can choose at which bit depth to save the file. When I saved it at either 8 or 24 bit, it showed up completely transparent in the Homestuck Character Creator, but when I saved it at 32 bit, it showed up fine.
    Here's the image saved at 32 bit:

I also cropped the empty edges around the image, that way lining it up properly is easier. I hope you don't mind.
    If you place that image in the correct folder, it should work properly. I've added a note about it to the first post, in the 'Known Issues' section.

Quote Originally Posted by Varkarrus View Post
    These were the templates I used.
    Thanks!
    Hmm, those torsos have all very different sizes. I'd have to add a way of placing the legs at a relative position to the torsos then. Plus, I'd have to add an 'Arms' bodypart. I'll have to think about this a bit, but it might get added!

Well, for the Dreambot eyes, I didn't use an INI file since they were the exact same size as Jade's eyes and those didn't have one. For Terezi's, I added them without an INI and then compared them to the position on Terezi's official sprite when the head part was lined up.

And it runs fine for me on my Vista PC, which was what I used to make the parts I added.
    Oh yeah, your eyes look great, I meant that the default location all mouths get placed at, that I set up, may be wrong. And maybe the default eye position too, after comparing the John Egbert my program can create with an image of John from the wiki.
    Good thing I added the Refresh function (F5) to my program, otherwise this adjusting would get even more tedious

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainZaven View Post
    I don't quite know how this would work, but would it be possible to have a symbol characteristic? So that it would be possible to place the zodiacs or the kid's symbols on the front of the bodies? Other than that, this is a pretty spiffy idea!
    Thanks!
    And I've thought about those symbols too. It is possible to add a 'body part' for it, but the problem with that is that the center of the chest, where it should appear ideally, isn't always in the center of the image of the torso. So for some bodies the symbol would show up in the right spot, but for other, wider, bodies, like the one with the cape, the symbol would be placed too far to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by rommel View Post
    Rapidshare has a timer yeah, but it would be more a backup to mediafire (which is now undergoing maintenance, so I still can't download the file fnnnnnnnnrg ) rather then a dedicated link. A fall back download I guess.
    I think I've found a download site that doesn't have an annoying download timer. I've added the alternative link to the first post.

I've expanded the 'Known Issues' list a bit, with two more problems and their (possible) solutions. Please verify that they do indeed solve the problem.

Re: Homestuck Character Creator (0.5 Beta)

http://www.mediafire.com/?h1cpw91l8bb0vp6

Kinda crappy, but has a few Bodies including Doc Scratch. Enjoy!

Mage of Breath introvertedOptimist's Avatar

Re: Homestuck Character Creator (0.5 Beta)

Thank You! This'll make it even easier!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast