MSPA Forums
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer time! (IT Help thread)

TG: this is a dave out there GreyMario's Avatar

Re: Computer time! (IT Help thread)

I don't suppose anyone here knows how to cure an LCD of cat piss, do they?

Water would be easier, but piss has salts and whatnot that make it conductive so it is extremely likely that if it doesn't work something has been irrecoverably toasted, particularly if it was plugged in or on when said urination occurred. Odds are any electronic device that receives a decent amount of piss is going to be both permanently dead and smelly. Small LCDs are like cheap as free anyway.

If you haven't tried to use it yet, don't. Wait a few days and maybe put it in a box with some silica packs or some white rice before you do. That is how I saved my cell phone after a pool dunk.

It's, uh, been this way for a few years.

Most of the bottom three rows aren't displaying color, with a couple bad spots leaking up (but never reaching past an application's status bar).

Quote Originally Posted by GreyMario View Post
    It's, uh, been this way for a few years.

Most of the bottom three rows aren't displaying color, with a couple bad spots leaking up (but never reaching past an application's status bar).
    How did it come into contact with the urine? Also that is pretty much a not worth trying to fix problem. Free monitors can be had all over anyway, particularly if you are willing to take an old CRT off of someone's hands.

A cat pissed on its front face. I shit you not there was cat piss six inches up the damn thing.

Eww no. CRTs botch color and take up space.

A cat pissed on its front face. I shit you not there was cat piss six inches up the damn thing.

Eww no. CRTs botch color and take up space.
    Shitty old square LCDs that work fine are also available for free or cheap. Check craigslist. People give them away because recycling them often costs money and requires effort.

Thing is, I don't really want to downgrade from my current max resolution of 1280x1024 either.

:<

I still don't see why those big monitors have to cost four times as much as your average preassembled laptop (or even desktop) though. Jesus christ who the FUCK has 1000 monies to blow on top-of-the-line dimensions?

Thing is, I don't really want to downgrade from my current max resolution of 1280x1024 either.

:<

I still don't see why those big monitors have to cost four times as much as your average preassembled laptop (or even desktop) though. Jesus christ who the FUCK has 1000 monies to blow on top-of-the-line dimensions?
    All kinds of people really.

A $100 18-20" widescreen display is plenty good enough for doing just about anything and running two of them is wondrous. You may have to look for a sale to get a decent LCD for $100-$120. 1360/6x768x2 is more than enough screen real estate for me.

Alternately, previously mentioned old-ass CRTs are capable of displaying absurdly high resolutions. A friend of mine has an enormous 20" CRT that he can run at 4000x3000. Not that it is actually useful to do so.

I can't run my CRT at any more than like 1400x1050 without switching to some fucked up refresh rate.

Also eww widescreen.

I can't run my CRT at any more than like 1400x1050 without switching to some fucked up refresh rate.

Also eww widescreen.
    Don't knock it until you have tried it. Being able to have four full pagewidths visible on screen is unbelievably convenient when writing papers or dicking around. Looking at documents side by side seems a lot more intuitive than stacking windows vertically. Also broader FoV is always nice for gamin.

I like my vertical space too.

Quote Originally Posted by transistorTransistor View Post
    If you have unusually high load, check if the load is created by plugin wrapper process as opposed to Firefox itself.
    It was Firefox itself, I was actually expecting the plugin wrapper when I went over to help based on the kinds of trouble I have with it, but nope.
    System can be brought to a crawl by using very little CPU time but allocating and accessing large amount of memory, or performing I/O. Firefox uses large number of small files for its cache, and I have no idea if Windows 7 handles this better than older versions, so just in case defragment your filesystem, reinstall whatever on-file-access antivirus you are using, and check if there are huge applications in memory.
    Haha, oh boy, getting her to go along with any of that is... well an adventure. I'll see what I can do. When I was checking, I think Firefox was the only big memory hog open, and it seemed to be using a lot more memory than my system for far less running. She's not up right now and she doesn't like me messing around on there when she's not around so I can't check it out now.
    So is it actually hung (not responding to input for some time), slowed down (operations take longer), visibly slows down other applications (other applications show some kinds of unusual hiccups), or number in process manager is the only symptom?
    Other programs are responsive during the hang, but Firefox becomes completely unresponsive for far longer than reasonable. The only way you can even tell it's doing anything is the CPU usage shooting up in task manager. I could understand a big of a hang on opening a new tab, or something like that, but the thing stops for a good deal of time on just opening links.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuraiou View Post
    Solution: Download Google Chrome.

(okay, glib response, but tT actually covered the actual issue. But seriously not to start a browser war but Chrome is pretty goddamn amazing)
    Hahaha, you clearly haven't met my mom. Change is not something she does. It took me forever just to get her to upgrade from Firefox 2 (despite the problems it was giving her) because nothing else supported Snap-links. Opening tons of pages at once is apparently far more important than performance and security.

Also eww widescreen.
    You are by far the weirdest person I have encountered in a long time.

And that's counting Hussie.
    No longer official staff around here.

Any opinions I state are mine alone and more than likely do not represent current thinking or decisions of the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by NotASenator View Post
    You are by far the weirdest person I have encountered in a long time.

And that's counting Hussie.
    I consider widescreen a marketing scam to sell people "larger" monitors with fewer total real estates for more money.

The math says 1360x768 is less than 1280x1024.

You think someone is cheating you. I'm stunned.

Any opinions I state are mine alone and more than likely do not represent current thinking or decisions of the staff.

I consider widescreen a marketing scam to sell people "larger" monitors with fewer total real estates for more money.

The math says 1360x768 is less than 1280x1024.
    You missed the x2 part. For $200 I got two slightly smaller in area screens with considerably more total area than a $200 19" 4:3 screen. I find the panoramic view to be far easier to use than a larger vertical space. It is considerably less straining to move my eyes from side to side than tilt my head up and down, and when I am writing a paper I usually want to look at relatively short excepts from multiple documents, so not being able to see a full vertical page is much less of an inconvenience than not being able to read a full line on a document. The only time I see people using stacked screens is for places where they only use one at a time or are physically restricted from placing them next to each other.

4:3 LCDs bigger than 17" are really hard to come by and most of the ones that do exist are turbo-contrast super-response time $600 wastes of money.
    Last edited by Unlicensed Busdriver; 09-24-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: of course 4:3 reads as 4catface. Why cant smilies be off by default? Or can they?

I have 1280x1024x2.

Ok, that cat thing is now :3:

I have 1280x1024x2.
    My point stands. I prefer wider to taller, and in today's market, my setup costs less.

My eventual goal is to upgrade to a single 26"-30" in an insane resolution after I get a new GPU, no longer live in a dorm, and stop spending all of my disposable cash on ammunition and tasty sandwiches.

Quote Originally Posted by NotASenator View Post
    Ok, that cat thing is now :3:
    Awesome. You are on a roll today.

Quote Originally Posted by Unlicensed Busdriver View Post
    I prefer wider to taller
    So does pretty much everyone else in the market. That's why the shift in monitors, televisions and handheld devices have all gone to widescreen formats.

Savior of the Dreaming Derp McBatman's Avatar

Okay, so, I've taken on the strange endeavor of learning flash animation, and was creating a simple swf of a shape/motion tween, so I try to upload it to a site to view it, and for some reason, the site detects it as a hacking attempt.
    How bad at animation do I have to be for that to happen? But seriously, am I missing something here?
    Flash CS3, Win XP Pro SP3, Firefox browser, any other info needed?
    This statement is a hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by McBatman View Post
    Okay, so, I've taken on the strange endeavor of learning flash animation, and was creating a simple swf of a shape/motion tween, so I try to upload it to a site to view it, and for some reason, the site detects it as a hacking attempt.
    How bad at animation do I have to be for that to happen? But seriously, am I missing something here?
    The site you are trying to upload it to perhaps? I'm not a Flash guy, but can't you just open the file in your browser or just watch it in Flash or whatever without uploading it somewhere?

Savior of the Dreaming Derp McBatman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unlicensed Busdriver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McBatman View Post
    The site you are trying to upload it to perhaps? I'm not a Flash guy, but can't you just open the file in your browser or just watch it in Flash or whatever without uploading it somewhere?
    I just wanted to see a friend's opinion on my elementary attempts. But I found what the problem was anyways, apparently there's a setting for accessing the network or local files. Being the genius I was, I kept setting it to local files, which I guess tried to grab sensitive information.
    Derp derp.
    This statement is a hyperbole.

What site were you uploading to? Some places just don't like flash files.

Yeah, just open the flash file with Flash's own player or your browser.

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast