MSPA Forums
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Homestuck Troll Translator

  1. #1
    I AM BEST Vorked Larfleeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    El Paso, Illinois
    Posts
    763

    Homestuck Troll Translator

    I worked on one, and here it is.
    Basically, choose what troll you want from the current list, type in what you want changed, and BAM! It gets turned into how they talk.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ty44offypv6v0fn

    Let me know of any bugs, and I will let you all know when I update it to work with other trolls.
    Oh yes, and once you get something translated, it copies to your clipboard.

  2. #2
    Finally changed my avatar Miff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL, US
    Pronouns
    they/them/theirs
    Posts
    1,863

    Re: Homestuck Troll Translator

    I think this is the fourth one of these so far. Quite the most interesting UI I've seen out of all of them though.

    Speaking of which, I wonder if anyone's ever done a SBaHJ translator?

  3. #3
    ASBusinessMagnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Marry a Jammed Pole, Lithuania
    Posts
    1,180

    Re: Homestuck Troll Translator

    Since when Terezi, Sollux, Eridan and Aradia forgot that they don't use both capital and lowercase letters?
    Sburb Fanventure Do's and Don'ts: a must-read for anyone intending to start a Sburb fanventure or having started one but not having made it past 10 pages

  4. #4

    Re: Homestuck Troll Translator

    Quote Originally Posted by Miff View Post
    I think this is the fourth one of these so far. Quite the most interesting UI I've seen out of all of them though.

    Speaking of which, I wonder if anyone's ever done a SBaHJ translator?
    Isn't the point of SBaHJ that the ways in which it's wrong is never the same? Maybe if it randomizes every conceivable mistake in English so that one happens every few words.

  5. #5
    I AM BEST Vorked Larfleeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    El Paso, Illinois
    Posts
    763

    Re: Homestuck Troll Translator

    I can easily make a SBAHJ translator. I can make it pick two random letters and switch them or something. randomly delete or add a letter.
    I may get on that at some point.

    Also I completely stopped working on the translator.

  6. #6
    Thief of Form cannabalisticJusticar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Land of Cliffs and Caverns
    Posts
    15

    Re: Homestuck Troll Translator

    Is there a custom quirk program? If not on this, anywhere else?
    Skeet!

  7. #7

    Re: Homestuck Troll Translator

    I hate to necro post, but is there a reverse translator out there in some form? All I've seen are "human text-->troll text" translators, but never the reverse. I would like the latter to exist, since I find it hard to read much of troll dialogue due to me being a Grammar Nazi of sorts. Does anyone know if a "troll text-->human text" translator exists, or, better yet, an addon for Google Chrome that does so automatically when browsing the main site?

  8. #8
    Seer of Space Kaleb702's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Land of Gold and Frogs
    Posts
    1,233

    Re: Homestuck Troll Translator

    Quote Originally Posted by oed706 View Post
    I hate to necro post, but is there a reverse translator out there in some form? All I've seen are "human text-->troll text" translators, but never the reverse. I would like the latter to exist, since I find it hard to read much of troll dialogue due to me being a Grammar Nazi of sorts. Does anyone know if a "troll text-->human text" translator exists, or, better yet, an addon for Google Chrome that does so automatically when browsing the main site?
    I did one but it hasn't been updated for the pre-scratch trolls, it fails at grammar due to not using a contextual thing to determine how to fix it, and it's console based. You also need an interpreter for the code.

  9. #9

    Re: Homestuck Troll Translator

    I must say, that is a damn shame. I guess someone could possibly manually translate it, but that is highly unlikely. As for the grammar issue, could you elaborate? And what do you mean, console based? Your avatar indicates that you are a coder/programmer, something I don't fall under.

  10. #10
    Seer of Space Kaleb702's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Land of Gold and Frogs
    Posts
    1,233

    Re: Homestuck Troll Translator

    Quote Originally Posted by oed706 View Post
    I must say, that is a damn shame. I guess someone could possibly manually translate it, but that is highly unlikely. As for the grammar issue, could you elaborate? And what do you mean, console based? Your avatar indicates that you are a coder/programmer, something I don't fall under.
    Console based:
    It looks like this piece of bullcrap:


    Grammar:
    With people like Karkat or Terezi I just lowercased everything, because I'd have to do some shenanigans to check whether a letter should be capitalized or not. (With good Regex skills this would be easier, but at the time I made it I had little regex skills.) Also puns still exist in the translation, because everyone loves a good cat pun. Or not. Vriska's 8s are terrible; can't tell if they should be b or an eight sound spelling.

    Too bad I accidentally the file. Whoops.

  11. #11

    Re: Homestuck Troll Translator

    I didn't think you were talking about firing up a PS3 or something to translate it. As for regarding newer characters, I haven't gotten that far into the series yet as to where it explains them, but for the trolls, it shows a line of text said by them in the series. For Mituna Captor:
    K17H5 MY CH4GR1N 7UNK3L Y0U 5N4NK 4ZZ CHUM8UCK357
    You can lowercase everything, and make translate the leetspeak:
    kiths my chagin tunkel you snank azz chumbuckest
    This still looks hard to read, so you can translate the lisp as well. Here are the changed words:
    kiths=kiss
    azz=ass
    chumbuckest=chumbucket
    Tunkel=?
    Snank=?
    So you can set up a set of rules for newer characters, and to prevent misspellings you can associate certain pronunciations with the pesterlog handle acronyms. This is just me speculating stuff you already though of, however.

  12. #12
    ScootaLewis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of Kilts and Bagpipes
    Posts
    195

    Re: Homestuck Troll Translator

    Tunkel = Tunnel

    Snank = Skank or Stank.

    "Kiss my chagrin tunnel you stank-ass chumbucket"

  13. #13

    Re: Homestuck Troll Translator

    Darn. I came in here expecting a translation for that strange Troll language found throughout the comic.

  14. #14
    Finally changed my avatar Miff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL, US
    Pronouns
    they/them/theirs
    Posts
    1,863

    Re: Homestuck Troll Translator

    Quote Originally Posted by Eion Kilant 739 View Post
    Darn. I came in here expecting a translation for that strange Troll language found throughout the comic.
    You mean this?


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •