Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy cow new album!! THE FELT

A Cappella Aficionado Music Team MightyMoose's Avatar

Re: Holy cow new album!! THE FELT

Quote Originally Posted by Game Hunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HarMegidon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Potato View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMoose View Post
    Fun fact: "Scratch" was finished on Halloween. The polite nod to Bach is intentional, of course. I'm amazed nobody has caught my other reference yet. It's very fast, but if you keep other ominous organ themes in mind...
    I'm assuming it involves screaming HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE a few million times.
    Cool, another person who noticed the Bach in Dancing Mad. Scratch actually quite reminds me of Dancing Mad as well as Fugue. And I just realized Dancing Mad is a perfect example of the Homestuck style.
    I'm really listening hard for any direct Dancing Mad references, but I'm just coming up short. Sure, it's a great piece and there's plenty TO use (not to mention a lot is directly ripped from the Toccata/Fugue) but Scratch is a lot more...organized, I suppose. There's a definite theme along with some branching, but stays relatively on topic. Dancing Mad is, quite frankly, all over the place.

A couple places vaguely reminded me of this little number, but I doubt it's what he was going for. I'm thinking it's either that glissando or in the harmonies between 1:59-2:18.
    We have a winner! Scratch was heavily inspired by both the Toccata/Fugue and the final Bowser theme (seeing as it's one of my favorite tunes from Mario 64). The four notes at around 0:20 are the same beginning four notes to the final Bowser theme. In fact, I had to be careful not to make it sound too much like that song- after all, Scratch has a very different feel than the koopa king!
    Last edited by MightyMoose; 12-05-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Salamander Haberdasher Crumplehat's Avatar

Truly exquisite cover art.

Quote Originally Posted by HarMegidon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Potato View Post
    Fun fact: "Scratch" was finished on Halloween. The polite nod to Bach is intentional, of course. I'm amazed nobody has caught my other reference yet. It's very fast, but if you keep other ominous organ themes in mind...
    I'm assuming it involves screaming HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE a few million times.
    Cool, another person who noticed the Bach in Dancing Mad. Scratch actually quite reminds me of Dancing Mad as well as Fugue. And I just realized Dancing Mad is a perfect example of the Homestuck style.
    I'm really listening hard for any direct Dancing Mad references, but I'm just coming up short. Sure, it's a great piece and there's plenty TO use (not to mention a lot is directly ripped from the Toccata/Fugue) but Scratch is a lot more...organized, I suppose. There's a definite theme along with some branching, but stays relatively on topic. Dancing Mad is, quite frankly, all over the place.

A couple places vaguely reminded me of this little number, but I doubt it's what he was going for. I'm thinking it's either that glissando or in the harmonies between 1:59-2:18.
    We have a winner! Scratch was heavily inspired by both the Toccata/Fugue and the final Bowser theme (seeing as it's one of my favorite tunes from Mario 64). The four notes at around 0:20 are the same beginning four notes to the final Bowser theme. In fact, I had to be careful not to make it sound too much like that song- after all, Scratch has a very differnet feel than the koopa king!
    You mean 0:02?

Edit: Never mind. That was a different bowser tune I had in mind.

A couple places vaguely reminded me of this little number, but I doubt it's what he was going for.
    We have a winner! Scratch was heavily inspired by both the Toccata/Fugue and the final Bowser theme (seeing as it's one of my favorite tunes from Mario 64). The four notes at around 0:20 are the same beginning four notes to the final Bowser theme. In fact, I had to be careful not to make it sound too much like that song- after all, Scratch has a very differnet feel than the koopa king!
    Oh snap! Guess I needs me more confidence in my answers. That's a really great way to finish up the game, too: first time I had to fight him I freaked out by the combination of music and "holy shit THE FLOOR IS COLLAPSING".

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by dky.tehkingd.u View Post
    You mean 0:02?
    No, that's the very notable Bach reference. The Bowser connection is when you hear the 1-5-8 octave movement in the high part. It goes: 1-5-8-6b, 5-8-3b-2, 1-5-8-6b, 5-8-5-4# (if you can read that, I probably just made up that notation right now).
    Last edited by Game Hunter; 12-03-2010 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solatrus View Post
    FL Studio is the shit, man. Well, it helps to have a MIDI keyboard, too.
    Funny you should say that, as I happen to have both. FL Studio user since V5, and I still can't be arsed to spend more than 30 minutes with it at a time Keyboard's a huge help though, dunno how I lived without this thing.
    Last edited by Gloopy; 12-03-2010 at 12:23 AM.

knight of valve time absoluteCertainty's Avatar
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

oh yeah
    my mom likes this album too
    although only the orchestral bits, when she hits the electronic bits she's like DNW, NEXT SONG PLZ but she has very defined tastes sooo

but anyway everything on this is the best
    since you are masters of melody you should all travel back in time sometime in the future and hug yourself riiiiiight..... NOW !

Also at 00:39 in The Broken Clock, I keep thinking the song will turn into Doll Judgement. bluh bluh i should un-train my ears from trying to find touhou music everywhere, stupid stupid dumb. :|
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...v/e632cb9c.pnghttp://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...v/cc92e765.pnghttp://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/55a7db68.pnghttp://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/b017accd.pnghttp://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/ad165da3.png
    Best of Forum Games Quote Archive brought to you by the Obliteration Party Station.

Huh, so that's why I thought about Dancing Mad when listening to Scratch.

Man, any time I try to listen to one song, I end up listening to like 5 because it is so cohesive

English.

Oh my god.

IDE/Theory: This song will be used as the EOA6 song, or barring that, SOA7.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Awesome View Post
    Okay, so let me see if I've identified the musical cues properly, and if I missed any. I'm a little obsessed with connecting the various songs so that I know which tracks are similar (like the Doctor and Clockwork Melody-type tracks, etc.).

Swing of the Clock- Inspired by 3 in the Morning (Word of God)

Clockwork Reversal-Clockwork Melody

Chartreuse Rewind-Doctor

Apocryphal Antithesis-Homestuck theme

Broken Clock-I got shades of the opening of Octoroon Rangoon, but that might just be me.

Scratch-I have a feeling that I've heard at least part of it elsewhere in the Homestuck discography, but I can't quite place it.

Time Paradox-Once again, I could swear I've heard some of it before.

English-I'm almost certain I heard a tiny bit of Chorale in the middle somewhere.

Variations-Reminds me a lot of Let the Squiddles Sleep in the first part, but it might just be the similar buzz at the beginning.

Oh, right, this album was so awesome (personally, I like the main HS albums and Alternia slightly more, but that's like saying I like coconut slightly more than butterscotch*).

*I really, really love butterscotch.
    Don't forget the start of Jade Dragon.

Am I Kawaii? (´・ω・`) KawaiiMelon's Avatar

I'm not that kind of "orchestra" guy but this album really changes my opinion.
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaa

Did anyone else hear a bit of Endless Climb in Apocryphal Antithesis, toward the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Awesome View Post
    Okay, so let me see if I've identified the musical cues properly, and if I missed any. I'm a little obsessed with connecting the various songs so that I know which tracks are similar (like the Doctor and Clockwork Melody-type tracks, etc.).

Swing of the Clock- Inspired by 3 in the Morning (Word of God)

Clockwork Reversal-Clockwork Melody

Chartreuse Rewind-Doctor

Apocryphal Antithesis-Homestuck theme

Broken Clock-I got shades of the opening of Octoroon Rangoon, but that might just be me.

Scratch-I have a feeling that I've heard at least part of it elsewhere in the Homestuck discography, but I can't quite place it.

Time Paradox-Once again, I could swear I've heard some of it before.

English-I'm almost certain I heard a tiny bit of Chorale in the middle somewhere.

Variations-Reminds me a lot of Let the Squiddles Sleep in the first part, but it might just be the similar buzz at the beginning.

Oh, right, this album was so awesome (personally, I like the main HS albums and Alternia slightly more, but that's like saying I like coconut slightly more than butterscotch*).

*I really, really love butterscotch.
    Don't forget the start of Jade Dragon.
    Hmm, is that Doctor I hear? I might be confusing it with another major track.

Avatar by rendigo (heehee) ardentApathy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Pig King View Post
    Did anyone else hear a bit of Endless Climb in Apocryphal Antithesis, toward the end?
    Yeah, I hear it. From 2:01 to 2:11, and again at 2:31. There's also very strong Homestuck Anthem overtones.
    Hi, mothafuckas. HoNk
    Would you like to play a game?

i am the wind waker. it's me. Music Team

Quote Originally Posted by Gloopy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Solatrus View Post
    FL Studio is the shit, man. Well, it helps to have a MIDI keyboard, too.
    Funny you should say that, as I happen to have both. FL Studio user since V5, and I still can't be arsed to spend more than 30 minutes with it at a time Keyboard's a huge help though, dunno how I lived without this thing.
    I've been using FL since 2003, version 3.5. But I know exactly what you mean. It's a real pain for quite awhile, but ultimately is pretty powerful if you know what you're doing.

Good luck to you, though. If you need any advice, feel free to ask!
    Compendium of music/artists, sorted by: artist, alphabetically by last name, or volume

Mr. Awesome-I heard a part of the "tunneling"from Squiddles Sleep.

This album is beautiful. You knocked this one out of the park, music team. I was so excited when I realized this was a whole album full of orchestral music. I love all the songs, especially The Broken Clock. Omelette Sandwich was also pretty hilarious. xD

Also, the Bandcamp main site says The Felt is 3rd on the top album list on Bandcamp right now, so congrats!
    Last edited by Silarial; 12-03-2010 at 01:05 AM.
    There is no dark side of the moon. Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzi77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetMadness View Post
    "Omelette Sandwich" keeps giving me a heart attack whenever that click-fast-forward effect kicks in randomly. I just put the album on while I'm doing other stuff, and that came out of fuckin' nowhere.
    Actually, it's a rewind.

SO EGGS CAN REWIND HIMSELF AND ADD THE NEXT LAYER OF THE TRACK.

I enjoyed that song so much more once I figured this out.

Also latequote but w/e

Quote Originally Posted by Plazmataz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetMadness View Post
    Also, I'm really digging the more acoustic songs on here rather than the electronic ones. If "Scratch" and "Baroqueback Bowtier" weren't actually played on a real pipe organ and cello, respectively, those are some very convincing samples.
    Scratch was made using incredibly convincing samples, and produced to the point where it sounded really realistic.

Baroqueback Bowtier, however, was definitely recorded on an acoustic cello. I could look over my shoulder and see the instrument I recorded it on right now if I wanted to.
    I was going to mention Baroqueback reminded me of Shostakovich Cello concerto #2 third movement. Wondering if you noticed that too when playing it, if you know of that piece, or if you also wrote Baroqueback, if you had that in mind?

Oh by the way anyone that liked Baroqueback or discovered that they love the cello because of it should listen to that entire concerto that I linked the third part to, it's pretty amazing.
    Last edited by mafaraxas; 12-03-2010 at 02:08 AM.

Secretly a dragon catharticCarnifex's Avatar

That's it.

I've had it.

This is too much.

I'm getting FL now, and I'm gonna save up money for either a new keyboard, or some expensive MIDI card for my computer, because this album, you people, this album convinces me that music is the key to harmony..

It's just so fucking awesome. Major props to all of you who worked on this, Omelette Sandwich is currently my favorite, but I haven't had time to listen through all of them (at work now)

-} DevArt - Tumblr - Twitter - Pail Day 2011 - Lodgetrenched the RP - My Blarg {-
    Favorite songs and remixes

I was having an awesome day, and then I checked MSPA, and IT GOT 2000% BETTER. And then something annoying happened, but that meant I got to go home and listen to this, so it's all good.

*flails* SO AWESOME.
    I LOVE YOU ALL.
    THIS IS FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC.
    THIS ENTIRE ALBUM IS BEAUTIFUL.
    LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL.
    SO AWESOME.

I'm really impressed with the cover art especially. Oh god Skeptic, you're amazing. I could stare at it all day. Absolutely gorgeous. My favorite songs are Swing of the Clock, The Broken Clock, Temporal Piano, and Time Paradox.

I swear I could hear some Sarabande in Time Paradox? But I'm crap at recognizing leitmotifs, so probably not.

I've listened to it a bunch, and if I can't say it again: kick ass job guys, I can't wait until the next thing comes out!

Avatar by Pharms : D Moderator ProfessorLizzard's Avatar

Someone mentioned that there is a new album. I jokingly said "Haha, it must be a Felt album". Turns out, I see the future.

I have just started listening to it, and it is already beautiful.

The man. The legend. Music Team Plazmataz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Pig King View Post
    Man, finally. Everyone is jumping at shadows thinkin' there's Anthem callouts in Antithesis, but this fellow here is definitely on to something!

Quote Originally Posted by mafaraxas View Post
    I was going to mention Baroqueback reminded me of Shostakovich Cello concerto #2 third movement. Wondering if you noticed that too when playing it, if you know of that piece, or if you also wrote Baroqueback, if you had that in mind?

Oh by the way anyone that liked Baroqueback or discovered that they love the cello because of it should listen to that entire concerto that I linked the third part to, it's pretty amazing.
    I actually do not own any Shosty recordings! I'm definitely enjoying the link you posted though, this is the first I've heard of this concerto.

Bowtier is sort of the culmination of a dark vein of improvisation that I play with a lot, and have played with some in the past. When Felt time came, I decided to sit down and bang out some cello music derived from that sort of noodling. I had no idea how reception would be, and I actually expected for it not to get used on the album at all because I was pretty sure people would find it boring. Guess I was wrong!

so is there any particular reason that Rhapsody in Green is backwards?
    did you guys just decide it sounds better that way

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast