MSPA Forums
Page 56 of 101 FirstFirst ... 6465354555657585966 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2501

Thread: MSPA Fanfiction IV

Re: MSPA Fanfiction IV

Quote Originally Posted by twinTempo View Post
    ByB I think I may have to legit start shipping 'Rezi - Jade now.
    o.o

I think I may have to as well.

Terezi is troll of the year. All years.
    Fanfics (There's a bunch):

Ryavis and BYB, holy shit. Well-played you guys.

EDIT: although in re: Ryavis' Author's Note, I'll raise a possibility that may redeem the more warm-n-fuzzy grubfics.

If trolls originally hatched and raised their own young, and the lusus/Mother Grub/Imperial Drone symbiosis is something artificial or developed relatively late in the trolls' civilization, maybe to facilitate their farflung adult empire, then the underlying parental instincts might still be there, even though in the normal course of things an adult troll might never see a grub. It wouldn't entirely overcome the cultural difference in mindset, but it would make things less totally... alien.
    Last edited by Altum; 01-14-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Indystuck

Chapter 11

Pronouns
    he/him/his

graven i'm gonna need you to stop posting right as i finish these stories

it makes it take longer for me to get around to reading them
    (EDIT: Oh man, Tim is the best character in this and every story.)

@ByB: Yessssssss! There isn't nearly enough interaction between Jade and Terezi, both in canon and in fanon. Thank you for pitching in to resolve this grievous error.

@Kass: I love that Vriska was wearing her slutty fairygown at the time she and Rose somehow managed to create a hybrid ectobaby. I'm trying to come up with a contraception joke but I almost think it speaks for itself.

@Ryavis: Excellent job. I think that even without the whole "Trolls haven't had parents for any of their recorded history" thing, Kanaya would find motherhood very difficult. There is a lot to get agitated about.

Anyway, I'm gonna go straight back to narcissism and post another chapter of my thing.

SBURB FORTRESS

Chapter 3

Commentary:
    Last edited by Kerensky287; 01-14-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: color edits

Esabelle is awesome c: Metaflare's Avatar

Keren

i love this

so much
    http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9202/littlebanner.png
    TROLLS IN SPOILER|TUMBLR HERE|IN WHICH ME AND MY FRIENDS PLAY GAMES

Finals are draining my creative juices, so here's a little pesterfic. Imagine the game is over and everyone's together on Skaia. And Green Dave is there too for some reason.

By the way, I subscribe to altum's IDE.

And I really should read Sburb Fortress sometime, being a TF2 player and all P:
    Last edited by egregiousBass; 01-14-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Watches you and hungers Wigmund's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Please tell me Spy's tag changes so he has the same acronym as anyone he's talking to.

Graven: IDE/Theory: Quote is gonna prototype Arthur's knife, since it contains his spirit.

Also still F-ing love Indystuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimbaum View Post
    A fanfic about a fanfic...

That was so awesome...
    Can we have a fanfic about Vriska (and maybe the other trolls) reading other fanfic?

I've always being curious at what could be Vriska's reaction in reading Dead Red Virgo, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
    Can we have a fanfic about Vriska (and maybe the other trolls) reading other fanfic?

I've always being curious at what could be Vriska's reaction in reading Dead Red Virgo, for example.
    TT: Hello there.
    TC: wHaT's Up MoThErFuCkEr
    TT: Would you like to see my fanfiction?
    TT: It's about us.

TC: sOuNdS mOtHeRfUcKiNg AwEsOmE tO mE
    TT: http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread...=1#post4302029
    TC: :oD
    TC: :o
    TC: :|

Quote Originally Posted by Ryavis View Post
    A/N
    [SPOILER]I'm sorry if this subject matter is overdone.
    I just feel that a lot of the stories really miss the mark. Trolls aren't just humans with funny horns. They're aliens. Assuming a Troll is going to happily raise a child without problems, despite lacking the thousands and thousands of years of sociological, psychological, and biological preparation the average human has, just seems absurd. That is where, say, the Population series misses the mark for me (sorry, Kawa).
    FWIW I see the Population series as the trolls being "changed" as part of their Reward. To make up a system of mother grub and imperial drones and Lusus to keep their species alive and integrate everything to exist together with a a human society would have been too much even for the Game, so It changed them a little, biologically and psychologically, so that they could raise their children in a more human-like manner.

How much they were changed is left as an exercise for the reader.

FWIW I see the Population series as the trolls being "changed" as part of their Reward.
    So their reward is to conform to our superior human culture?

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I think that's what some of them wanted. It's why human society arose the way it did. They created us, we're reflections of their subconscious desires.
    Also, I think the Reward also creates a dominant race the winners can interbreed with so they can create the God-Kings of myth and legend.

This is not for you. lucidSeraph's Avatar

Something of an unexpected problem.
    THANK. YOU.

I'll admit, I'm getting tired of all the babbyfic for the reason you mentioned: so much of it completely ignores things like how hard babies are to take care of, and the fact that trolls are trolls. They're not going to be all "d'awww!" about wrigglers, they even mention several times how strange it is that human adults care for children, because troll adults kill children.

So, thank you for finally giving a fresh take on what's starting to be a very, very overdone sort of fic in these parts.

Something of an unexpected problem.
    I only just now read that since the writing seemed spotty when I skimmed it before, and wow, this is wonderful. Or maybe that's just because it correlates with mine and Seraph's interpretations. In any case, it's a good counterweight to the delirious amounts of ethnocentrism.

Seconded! Absolutely perfect, Ryavis.

Quote Originally Posted by egregiousBass View Post
    I only just now read that since the writing seemed spotty when I skimmed it before...
    Spacing paragraphs out stylistically is important; you might want to clean that up, Ryavis. It makes it easier to read, and gives a far better first impression.

<insert rant about colors and bolding here>
    Tumblr - Romspec Archives - SC2 Homestuck AoS / Subforum - Mini-Grand 5101 / 5107 - Grand S!1

Your chumhandle is bladekindEyewear and you use way, way, way too much formatting.
    (avatar upgraded by ashdenej)
    My lawyer advised me against mindless killing today. - Dr. McNinja

Ahaha, after rereading it, my old nemesis 'random tense changes' strikes again! I shouldn't write fanfics after midnight so often.

Quote Originally Posted by BlastYoBoots View Post
    Seconded! Absolutely perfect, Ryavis.
    Spacing paragraphs out stylistically is important; you might want to clean that up, Ryavis. It makes it easier to read, and gives a far better first impression.
    Yeah, that's probably a good idea too.

FWIW I see the Population series as the trolls being "changed" as part of their Reward. To make up a system of mother grub and imperial drones and Lusus to keep their species alive and integrate everything to exist together with a a human society would have been too much even for the Game, so It changed them a little, biologically and psychologically, so that they could raise their children in a more human-like manner.
    It just seems like wasted potential to me! It could have had a neat aspect about the Trolls trying to adapt to a world with no Lusii, where they don't really have to breed because they are so overleveled they can just easily kill any of the Imperial Drones the new Mother Grub spawns, where the majority of the world's inhabitants would find their traditional childrearing method to be a form of neglect.

Oh yeah, and thanks for all of the comments, people!

Pronouns
    he/him/his

My fics are all extremely tongue-in-cheek. Realism left when the demon puppet showed up and ate everyone. Though the acknowledged difficulty of raising babies is why I included the Guardians (Mr Egbert and Mrs Lalonde) and the exiles, because I couldn't figure out how a bunch of thirteen year old kids and six sweep old members of race that sacrificed its desire to raise kids to go conquer the stars would raise twelve hybrid babies. The best I could acknowledge the trolls' unease was how some of them were freaked out by the hybrids, though I imagined that Karkat, Nepeta, Feferi and possibly Tavros as being the quickest to adapt to what happened since they seem to be the most different socially from regular troll society.

I'll keep writing in the post-game setting I have developed over the past couple of months because I enjoy it. If I was a much better writer I'd include stories about the trolls adapting to being raised by Mr Egbert and Mrs Lalonde (Mrs Egbert in later stories). It would be interesting to write about the troll kids adapting to having someone actually care for them and then as the years pass, start raising their own hybrids and eventually their own children.

And post 1025!

@catharticCarnifex: Hah, yeah, going too far over 2.5k is pushing it around here since Thread 2. Which totally explains why I have never bothered to adapt for it in the slightest. Bluh, bluh, 3000 word story about Squiddlezzzzzzz. Do what you want, just be aware of how it can potentially affect readership. There's always A03 if you're concerned.

@Grubs again: Heck, I don't have much to add to this that Altum hasn't already said. I wrote my Grublings stories because they make me happy, and even then I was fond of sprinkling Troll parenthood with its characteristic cruelties. But I guess I'm more than a little peeved. I don't have anything against Ryavis' fic and I can't speak for Kawa, but in my case this is the kind of feedback I would have appreciated at the time, not weeks after the fact. With its hit count split for chapters, Cold Grublings is my least-read fic, and for feedback least enjoyed. I knew that already, but I figured it was just too long or not appealing. If I had known I was outright adding to the grinding of gears I would have just stopped and saved us all the trouble. Oh well. Done is done for everyone.

@Graven: I love that Quote still can't talk, I was seriously wondering but didn't know if it would ever actually come up!

@egregiousBass: "GG: ohgogiwanttofeedhimsoup :'|" This is The Best Sentiment.
    My Fanfiction:
    A Hand in Holding Hands, Аn Аshen Fanfic - Completed, several chapters of content and the rest of commentary.

Indystuck

Chapter 12

Quote Originally Posted by SkaianRedeemer View Post
    But I guess I'm more than a little peeved. I don't have anything against Ryavis' fic and I can't speak for Kawa, but in my case this is the kind of feedback I would have appreciated at the time, not weeks after the fact.
    Nobody is wishing ill on the existence of grubfics! They're cute regardless of which way you take them, and it is intrinsically hard for humans not to imagine their instinctive "daawww" babby response applying to others. (Meaning that, even when we disagree, it doesn't suspend disbelief!)

The more cynical, troll-centric viewpoint is just an unexplored avenue, one for which people have been silently thirsty (without knowing it) since the avalanche of tasty diabetes grubfics. It's nothing you should hold against your efforts so far. :/

(Also, remember Terezi's reaction to Dave's implication of "having sex with a grub in a bucket"? They could be just as protective of their species' young - in canon - but systematically disassociate themselves from personal interaction with them, due to politics/culture. And Sollux does mention pedophiles as being equally reviled by Troll society.)
    Last edited by BlastYoBoots; 01-14-2011 at 01:14 PM.
    Tumblr - Romspec Archives - SC2 Homestuck AoS / Subforum - Mini-Grand 5101 / 5107 - Grand S!1

Your chumhandle is bladekindEyewear and you use way, way, way too much formatting.
    (avatar upgraded by ashdenej)
    My lawyer advised me against mindless killing today. - Dr. McNinja

@Grubs again: Heck, I don't have much to add to this that Altum hasn't already said. I wrote my Grublings stories because they make me happy, and even then I was fond of sprinkling Troll parenthood with its characteristic cruelties. But I guess I'm more than a little peeved. I don't have anything against Ryavis' fic and I can't speak for Kawa, but in my case this is the kind of feedback I would have appreciated at the time, not weeks after the fact. With its hit count split for chapters, Cold Grublings is my least-read fic, and for feedback least enjoyed. I knew that already, but I figured it was just too long or not appealing. If I had known I was outright adding to the grinding of gears I would have just stopped and saved us all the trouble. Oh well. Done is done for everyone.
    Aww! I liked Cold Grublings, just it was a whole lot of characters and the reader was kind of thrown in the deep end with figuring out who raised who and so on.

@egregiousBass: "GG: ohgogiwanttofeedhimsoup :'|" This is The Best Sentiment.
    This is where I got it from.

Also, comment dumps like these are appreciated, even though they're dwarfed by the kind that appears in the fan art thread.

And I have nothing against grubfics, or the population series, except when there's sexuality. Because I am Victor McChastitypants.

Ryavis: Ooooh! I like that a lot! I do tend to think that Kanaya would be quite a good mother to an older child, one developed enough to speak and to act somewhat independently, because she's always been the sort drawn to mothering her friends. But a baby? Haha, no, that's going to freak her out.

On the bright side, a Kanaya/Rose ectobiology child is going to be the most precocious little monster ever. But that won't stop the first several years from being really, really rough.

Quote Originally Posted by BlastYoBoots View Post
    Nobody is wishing ill on the existence of grubfics! They're cute regardless of which way you take them, and it is intrinsically hard for humans not to imagine their instinctive "daawww" babby response applying to others. (Meaning that, even when we disagree, it doesn't suspend disbelief!)

The more cynical, troll-centric viewpoint is just an unexplored avenue, one for which people have been silently thirsty (without knowing it) since the avalanche of tasty diabetes grubfics. It's nothing you should hold against your efforts so far. :/
    Yeah, absolutely. I apologise if I've contributed to any bad feeling - cute babyfic has its place as much as darker xenofiction-type stuff, and honestly they're both about equally far from the canon anyway, so it's not as though anyone should be made to feel bad about their preferences. If you look at the fanart threads, it's perfectly possible for this and these to coexist - they're just different interpretations of the same canon.

(My own tastes will always swing further towards the sci-fi gloom side, but if you enjoy writing/reading the other stuff then hey, more power to you.)