MSPA Forums
Page 87 of 101 FirstFirst ... 37778485868788899097 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 2501

Thread: MSPA Fanfiction IV

Re: MSPA Fanfiction IV

I was screwing around doing some research on the game related aspects of, uh, the game
    Dang it, Shinnoan!

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Hoo boy, it's gonna be interesting getting up to these more recent pages. I bet it's gonna be sadfic-city.

THANKS ANDREW HUSSIE

OR SHOULD I SAY

R.A. SALVATORE

OR JOSS WHEDON

Page 66

Page 67

Page 68

Last edited by Kerensky287; 01-24-2011 at 12:29 PM.

/ can fee/ the cosmos... Tybian Sothoth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kerensky287 View Post

True, I wish I expanded a little more on his Glub survival bit, so I'll do so here. Mainly the bit comes from my experiences with swimming underwater. At first, your ears are plugged up so most of the sounds are muffled and distinction between "underwater noise" and surface noise is doing a flip flop. Overtime your ears adjust and you can differentiate again. I figured for the glub that sticking your head underwater during the worst point would block out the effectiveness and result in a close survival, plus I wanted to avoid having to retcon the entry order and insert him into the game. He's a background character following my interpretation of what is going on in the background during the Hivebent event, and my goal is to keep it as such.

As for the Mary Sue, I noticed that too after re-reading the earlier chapters awhile ago. I pointed my focus toward the flaws of his character and the flaws of his relationship standings with the other characters (and possibly their flaws with him) in the chapters that followed. Up until 7, my goal was to make the reader pity his situation and avoid categorizing him as either friend or foe. With 8 to current you start to get a better feel for how he really is in a psuedo-natural environment.

With Blood color, it's the same as his text color.

Tybian - Kerensky

It's a match made in february.

edit: This was before Tybian actually wrote anything in his post.

Esabelle is awesome c: Metaflare's Avatar

@Keren: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSthanksSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSS to you too
    http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9202/littlebanner.png
    TROLLS IN SPOILER|TUMBLR HERE|IN WHICH ME AND MY FRIENDS PLAY GAMES

Quote Originally Posted by mutecebu View Post
    I was screwing around doing some research on the game related aspects of, uh, the game
    Dang it, Shinnoan!
    Hahahahahaha. XD

@reviewers of the chess piece fic- I'm glad it didn't seem too short! I really wanted to write it, but I didn't want t make a huge deal out of it.

@Kerensky- as always, I am really happy to get your feedback. I'm definitely taking your suggestions to heart. Thank you!
    Strider brothers fics (many thanks go to egregiousBass for compiling them):

Sionnan @ AoOO | Years in the Past (but not many)- A Homestuck RP

Element of Kind/Witch of Space flutterShy's Avatar
    Pronouns
    [any]

...welp. 5 minutes of weeping in the soft scalemate pile(do you THINK it's safe to be in th hornpile?) got me this

... kanaya
    Quotes:

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Tybian Sothoth View Post
    True, I wish I expanded a little more on his Glub survival bit, so I'll do so here. Mainly the bit comes from my experiences with swimming underwater. At first, your ears are plugged up so most of the sounds are muffled and distinction between "underwater noise" and surface noise is doing a flip flop. Overtime your ears adjust and you can differentiate again. I figured for the glub that sticking your head underwater during the worst point would block out the effectiveness and result in a close survival, plus I wanted to avoid having to retcon the entry order and insert him into the game.
    That's a good point, actually. We never got a clear explanation for how the Glub worked - it might be reasonable to assume that the sound's distortion upon leaving the water creates a memetic hazard or something, which would also put forward evidence for why high-bloods (ie Sea Dwellers) are affected last. He may have straight-up dodged the Glub by having his head underwater at the very worst moment, and then taking it out before the glub reached water-harmful levels. Or something. I dunno, theoretical glubology is not exactly my field.

I JUST WANT TO SAY IN CASE IT WASN'T CLEAR TO OTHERS: The fact that I give some people serious criticism and some people joking criticism is not a statement of quality on ANYBODY'S part. There is a serious writing critique thread for that somewhere. There are definitely times when something sticks out at me though, and I guess part of the point of comments is to point out stuff that authors may not have noticed. Self-editing is boring as hell and if people remember what somebody said about a part of their work, they're less likely to make the same mistake again in the future.

I'm also really bad at criticizing stuff which is why most of my Criticism sections are just jokes. I wanted to make sure THAT was clear too. Like, Sionnan just said that she was taking my suggestions to heart and all I said recently about her fics was that scorpions are gross and Bro's death made me sad. Oh man I hope my joking criticism isn't seriously screwing some people up, that would make this all terrible.

(I'm off work today so I'm going to keep doing more pages, by the way. I want to post them one by one as I do them but I don't know whether it'd be better forum etiquette to do a post at a time (wasting space), or to edit them into existing posts (so people might miss them). Either way, page 69 is almost done. I finished my comments on The Survivor ch8 before seeing anybody else's posts, by the way. Just a bit of trivia.)

@linguisticDoctor Eridan has ruined both princes and hope ):
    Also, my feeling is that Vriska wouldn't just kill Terezi like that. Apart from anything she seems to be blackrom-crushing on Terezi pretty hard, and I get the impression that you don't just all-out kill your kismesis. On the other hand, I didn't think she'd randomly murder Tavros either >:

@Kerensky
    >Like, Sionnan just said that she was taking my suggestions to heart and all I said recently about her fics was that scorpions are gross and Bro's death made me sad. Oh man I hope my joking criticism isn't seriously screwing some people up, that would make this all terrible.

Dude, not at all! In an earlier review you left of a Sollux fic, you pointed out some awkward wording. Which was totally true! The Bro thing I laughed at, no worries.
    Strider brothers fics (many thanks go to egregiousBass for compiling them):

Sionnan @ AoOO | Years in the Past (but not many)- A Homestuck RP

oh hey Sionnan super-thanks for picking LEVEL 100 IRONY TECH - UNIRONIC APPRECIATION for your prompt like a week ago, I was a terrible person and didn't say thanks before!

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Sionnan View Post
    @Kerensky
    >Like, Sionnan just said that she was taking my suggestions to heart and all I said recently about her fics was that scorpions are gross and Bro's death made me sad. Oh man I hope my joking criticism isn't seriously screwing some people up, that would make this all terrible.

Dude, not at all! In an earlier review you left of a Sollux fic, you pointed out some awkward wording. Which was totally true! The Bro thing I laughed at, no worries.
    Phew, thank goodness. Anyway, just working away here.

Page 69

Page 70

Last edited by Kerensky287; 01-24-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Oh right, the rest of the fics on page 70

I HAVE BEEN BUSY

weeping in the horn pile
    feeefffff ;-;

@Kerensky Thanks for the comment The "hours" aren't excerpts as such, more... snapshots, I guess. I didn't want to flesh them out too much but there are a few I could develop. (also yes I did mean Hobbes the philosopher XD I had to study his Leviathan last term. It does amuse me that Calvin and Hobbes are named after pretty much the most pessimistic and joyless thinkers the Renaissance produced though.)

Don't worry, this one's short.

The Bigger Picture

Last edited by SkaianRedeemer; 01-24-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    My Fanfiction:
    A Hand in Holding Hands, Аn Аshen Fanfic - Completed, several chapters of content and the rest of commentary.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

This'll probably be my last page today.

Page 71

egregiousBass's philosofics:
    -I would probably be more knowledgeable about philosophy in general if my high school philosophy class hadn't sucked so bad. It seems like there are "philosophical in-jokes" here that I just don't get. Like, as a former astrophysics student I get what the copernican revolution was but I don't get what it has to do with philosophy.
    I'm going to pretend you totally wanted an explanation, so: Immanuel Kant dates from a period where people were wondering how you could ever achieve a 100% certain objective judgment with science. Descartes said yes and proposed a whole lot of mind-related hullabaloo involving proof that God exists, Hume said no because every idea you have is construed from sensory experiences one way or the other and senses do not provide objectivity. Kant proposed that you can reach objectivity in scientific research by keeping your own point of view in mind (hence copernican revolution); by submitting the object of your research to conditions you decide. That's what an experiment is, basically.

Homestuck meets Bertolt Brecht by egregiousBass:
    -I just love how they are not only aware of their flaws in this, but are willing to follow through with a plan they know will fail because they are so accepting of said flaws. Is that a philosophical thing too?
    I am very pleased with your tingliness. But just to explain: Brecht was a 20th century playwright who created "Epic Theatre". He tried to appeal to your intellect instead of your emotions. He had the actors dress up as clowns and change the backdrop in plain view just so the viewer wouldn't be immersed and lose the bigger picture. And instead of acting out their roles, actors keep a certain distance from their character, often outright stating what they're doing wrong so the viewer is aware of the warning conveyed in the play. And if that isn't anvilicious enough, there's a narrator as well. ribbit.

As for that Sophocles thing, I really don't think suicide is funny usually, but in one of his plays called Antigone, everyone starts killing themselves in the last few scenes as part of a really silly chain reaction, save for the antagonist who has to live on despite it all. But it's still a srs bsns tragedy.

@Kass from many pages back: I did Greek&Latin throughout most of high school, but I'm not going to pursue the classical direction :T

Turns out I can write better in second person than in first OR third.

Who knew?

Courtstuck-8

Quote Originally Posted by Metaflare View Post
    Turns out I can write better in second person than in first OR third.

Who knew?
    Quick, start Courtstuck: The Text Adventure!

I don't really want to know who Larry wants to blow up.
    My Fanfiction:
    A Hand in Holding Hands, Аn Аshen Fanfic - Completed, several chapters of content and the rest of commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by SkaianRedeemer View Post
    I don't really want to know who Larry wants to blow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaflare View Post
    LM: imma play this game
    And then suddenly your desk was thrown through the wall and a large white machine was in it's place.

I figured I would give Larry the benefit of the doubt on that but okay.
    My Fanfiction:

Quote Originally Posted by Ganato View Post
    Aww man. So much deliscious sadness.

lD, you are magnificent.

Nox, I will glee happily if that actually happens.
    Though I guess I just kind of jinx'd it.
    This would be a great way for Eriden to get a well deserved ass-kicking and put Vriska through the emotional wringer like I have always hoped for. Trouble is in THIS story every other troll is already dead. (Cept for Aradia) so don't root for this exact variant of events unless you want more deaths.
    EVERYTHING I TOUCH TURNS TO GRIMDARK!

/ can fee/ the cosmos... Tybian Sothoth's Avatar

The Survivor
    Chapter 14

Trollhouse
    Black & White Morality

A/N