MSPA Forums
Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast

Thread: NEPETAQUEST 2011: Incredibly serious business.

Unsolicited Opinion Snuffleheim's Avatar

Re: NEPETAQUEST 2011: Incredibly serious business.

@ Frost: Oh, I thought we were going with two other people slots so that Vriska and Eridan could be in the party together (following the theme of the Ashen quadrant).

@ZW: You're link isn't working for me...

Whoops, put the wrong URL. Should be fixed now.

For the new page: http://soundcloud.com/beepkevinbeep/...battle/s-MO1JG

@Geekthras:

We know the basics. It's turn-based (I think??). The players have animated attacks, and the four options Fight Special Item Run. Any action has the potential to be interactive, but probably only with the keyboard. Enemies will be animated, and will likewise need to attack and use special abilities. Players have HP but no MP. Status effects will exist.

Not to like heap pressure on you or anything, but I think programming the battle system puts much of the basic design responsibility in your hands. Things like "should status effects be represented by cute little symbols or full-sprite color fades?" don't really need to have a big deal made out of them.

Either that, or you need to program an extremely flexible system that can be modified at our leisure, since there's no guarantee we'll settle on one decision forever by committee.

@Z-W:

That sounds perfect as a base for the Eridan's Hive theme. Not battle, just exploration. It could also work as a theme for the Aradia battle... or perhaps the Aradia battle should be an uptempo remix of whatever Eridan's Hive ends up being? I think that might work.

As a typical battle theme... not so much?? Sorry to be so blunt.

EDIT: Just listened to it with headphones. The low backing violin (?) is far too quiet to hear on my entirely ordinary speakers, you might want to turn it up a bit.

@Snuff:

It seems kind of off to have only one three-person party, and to have it for only perhaps five minutes of the gameplay. Sticking to a two-person party forever will allow us to base mechanics around it, such as "one party member always stands in front of the other, and most attacks can only target the front party member. Using Fight rotates that member to the front, but few other abilities do."
    Last edited by Frost; 12-28-2010 at 07:52 PM.

@ZW: I like it. The only problem is that it's too dark in mood. However, the epic feeling it gives makes me think it might work as a boss battle soundtrack as opposed to the regular one.

@Frost: Well, I kinda liked the ability to customize your party at the end, and the quadrant combos sort of added to that theme. But, if that's the way it's gonna be, so be it.
    Last edited by Snuffleheim; 12-28-2010 at 07:50 PM.

I'll...work on a boss battle theme?

As a side note, even if there are items to cause status effects, it doesn't make the idea of the Ragetechs less useful. Free status effects, plus the possibility that many enemies in the level could have status weaknesses would make such a special strategically valuable. Hell, having the ability to inflict status effects for free where the only other option is items that would have to be bought or found, and could only be used once? It would be incredibly valuable.
    Last edited by Dudemaster47; 12-28-2010 at 08:03 PM.
    LOCust-3172, a space-trotting RP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isoraķatheð Zorethan
    Life is an extremely convoluted process that starts with you being dust and ends with you being dust in an extremely roundabout way that somehow involves checking email a lot.

And it'll turn out to be perfect for exploring Karkat's Lawnring, heh. Yeah man, do whatever you like, there isn't like a queue or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    @Z-W:

That sounds perfect as a base for the Eridan's Hive theme. Not battle, just exploration. It could also work as a theme for the Aradia battle... or perhaps the Aradia battle should be an uptempo remix of whatever Eridan's Hive ends up being? I think that might work.

As a typical battle theme... not so much?? Sorry to be so blunt.
    You know, I actually thought the same thing. After I finished it, it almost gave off a castle-exploration vibe, which would be good for a character like Eridan. Nice thinking. Yeah, I kind of fucked up and didn't make it very rhythmic or up-tempo, so it's kind of lacking as a "LET'S STRIFE" song.

I could also hear it as an Aradia battle theme, but I would definitely need to make it faster and more powerful.

Either that, or you need to program an extremely flexible system that can be modified at our leisure, since there's no guarantee we'll settle on one decision forever by committee.
    This is what I have been doing and it is quite difficult.

Z-W: do you have Skype/IRC/some messaging thing? I'd like to try to get collaboration going for music and instant messaging seems like the best way to do it.

edit: Same to you Dudemaster
    abstractPrescriptus on Pesterchum - Nepetaquest 2011 programmer and musician - Soundcloud and Tindeck

Moderately Interesting GEMPadre036's Avatar

That sound very... Bowser's Castle-y. Good for some looming doom and darkness, but not for a basic battle theme. Still, I dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekthras View Post

Z-W: do you have Skype/IRC/some messaging thing? I'd like to try to get collaboration going for music and instant messaging seems like the best way to do it.

edit: Same to you Dudemaster
    My MSN is love4sakaria@hotmail.com, that's the only IM client I really use.

Yeah, I think you need some "fixed forever" information. Why not give us a list of basic questions that you need answering? Things like "ATB or turn-based", "will enemies be animated", "will Fight ever do anything other than deal damage", "how will the party members be arranged on the screen", "what will the maximum party size be". I think there's kind of a lack of direction on both sides, heh.
    Last edited by Frost; 12-28-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Guys! You're not going to communicate via Pesterchum?! XD

Haha using Pastarcham for this would be great.

...I actually have no objections to that - it's pretty simple and reliable and keeps logs for later use.

As a note, I tried to write another battle theme - it's surprisingly hard to get something battle-y. Instead I've ended up with something that might work as an overworld theme once I'm done with it.
    abstractPrescriptus on Pesterchum - Nepetaquest 2011 programmer and musician - Soundcloud and Tindeck

Updated version, now with fixed bells and title: http://soundcloud.com/beepkevinbeep/...st-exploration

When you say "overworld" you mean "field", right? Not "world map"? Because if you guys have been expecting the latter I haven't planned for it at all.

EDIT: Z-W, the deep backing violin is still too quiet to my ears. To hear it at all, I need to turn up the volume to the point that the bells are obnoxiously loud.

In my head, I'm hearing the regular battle theme as cutesy, but fast-paced and emphatic as well. Aaaannndd I know that's no help at all.

When you say "overworld" you mean "field", right? Not "world map"? Because if you guys have been expecting the latter I haven't planned for it at all.

EDIT: Z-W, the deep backing violin is still too quiet to my ears. To hear it at all, I need to turn up the volume to the point that the bells are obnoxiously loud.
    http://soundcloud.com/beepkevinbeep/...-exploration-1

I turned the bass up and turned the bells down. Does it sound better this way, or is the mix still a bit unbalanced?

That's what I was going for with this WIP but it turned out more overworldy (and yes I mean fieldy) than I expected so I started to roll with it instead. Obviously this isn't anything like a finished track heh, but I think it could develop into something worthwhile, especially if someone with more ability to make audio files than MuseScore were to do it up.

Yeah, works a lot better now, thanks.

And just thought you'd better know that this is one of the first amateur songs I've ever heard whose melody has become stuck in my head. Congrats??

EDIT pointed at Geekthras: To me, this sounds excellent for the game's opening, with Nepeta receiving the letter and/or messing around with Pounce.
    Last edited by Frost; 12-28-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekthras View Post
    That's what I was going for with this WIP but it turned out more overworldy (and yes I mean fieldy) than I expected so I started to roll with it instead. Obviously this isn't anything like a finished track heh, but I think it could develop into something worthwhile, especially if someone with more ability to make audio files than MuseScore were to do it up.
    This...actually sounds like it could be a really adorable intro segment. It kind of reminds me of Super Mario World in that regard. Nice work!

EDIT at Frost: I'm flattered!
    Last edited by The Z-W; 12-28-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Heh, synchronicity.

How do you guys keep accidentally making tracks that are perfect for situations you hadn't even considered?

Those (uh... what should I call them?) "foreground" notes could be turned into "meows" as a callback to Walls Covered in Blood, Geek.

Yeah, I was thinking that. I wanted to do so in The La2t Meow too, but I really don't have the capability or knowledge to put stuff together, since all I have is MuseScore for making music.

I have IRC as either screwballSparky or arduousSpaceship, depending on various factors. I work slowly, so it'll be a while before I have anything, though...but I'll try to get something together as a concept.
    LOCust-3172, a space-trotting RP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isoraķatheð Zorethan
    Life is an extremely convoluted process that starts with you being dust and ends with you being dust in an extremely roundabout way that somehow involves checking email a lot.

Moderately Interesting GEMPadre036's Avatar

I dig it Z-W, but those dang bells! I would toss those or change them up. but I do love the rest of it, which is also stuck in my head oddly enough!

Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast