MSPA Forums
Page 58 of 101 FirstFirst ... 8485556575859606168 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 2516

Thread: MSPA Fanfiction V: We're Going to Need More Wands

Re: MSPA Fanfiction V: We're Going to Need More Wands

That was basically awesome, but I'm having a little trouble keeping up with everyone. Any chance you could expand that list to include all the characters?
    Fan Fiction:

standing around being psionic Path's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CandyLemon View Post
    I'm now starting to ship Crowbar/Sleuth/Slick. That is what this place has done to me
    My Hardboiled Universe OTP remains Sleuth/Slick. (Crowbar's just some two-bit villain, and Problem Sleuth has bigger fish to fry.)
    I'm always going to gravitate to those two, and a weird fucked-up thing with Snowman. Other than that, obviously I am fond of jealous Droog and his for Sleuth.
    That being said, I am trying to branch out and characterize a bit more of my headcanon for this universe. So it's time for some Felt.

...as soon as I finish Ambush. >_>

= = =

Quote Originally Posted by Graven_Image View Post
    TT: His version of Bro is unnaturally obsessed with puppets.
    GG: oh god lil cal
    GG: DX
    TT: "His version" nothing.
    TT: Bro was always like that.
    That is hands-down the best line of that fic.
    Last edited by Path; 02-16-2011 at 11:49 AM.
    Midnight City Stories (Problem Sleuth/Midnight Crew/Felt crossovers on AO3)
    =DeviantArt=

Path C20710

@Graven: That got pretty hard to follow in the end thanks to matching chumbreviations and colours, but... "Not Gamzee, but an incredibly simulation." made it all worth it!
    My Fanfiction:
    A Hand in Holding Hands, Аn Аshen Fanfic - Completed, several chapters of content and the rest of commentary.

This is not for you. lucidSeraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graven_Image View Post
    4x4

A/N

I always love seeing other people's interpretations of alt!kids! Wheeee. also I like the idea of PS!BlueDave SO much more than my fail version x_X;

Quote Originally Posted by SeptimusMagistos View Post
    That was basically awesome, but I'm having a little trouble keeping up with everyone. Any chance you could expand that list to include all the characters?
    Sure!

Blue John – ectoBiologist (Ghostbusters fan)
    Blue Jade – goldenGreenthumb (Avid movie-watcher and gardener)
    Blue Rose – tentativeThaumaturge (Loves magic, probably reads Harry Potter)
    Blue Dave – tripupGumshoe (PS fanatic)

Green John – geniusTinkerer (Narcoleptic inventor)
    Green Jade – gardenGnostic (Narcoleptic gardener)
    Green Rose – tipsyTambourinist (Narcoleptic, alchoholic musician)
    Green Dave – turnaboutGadabout (Narcoleptic stoner)

Purple John – ghostlyTransfixation (Aradia-ish obsession with talking to dead people)
    Purple Jade – glorifiedGrayhead (Smart, but slightly cynical. Silly when she feels like it)
    Purple Rose – tentacleTherapist (Snarky broad, enjoys occult literature)
    Purple Dave – torturousGrit (Bit of a tool, chivalrous and all that)

Red John – gearheadTrailblazer (Monster truck enthusiast)
    Red Jade – guardrailGrinder (Skater chick)
    Red Rose – turntableTinkerer (Garage girl, likes cars)
    Red Dave – turntechGodhead (Rapper, ironic master)

Color denotes... well, color. Abbreviation denotes which kid.
    Fanfics (There's a bunch):

@SkaianRedeemer: Yeah, that's a good point about Snowman that I didn't think up. What I was thinking was time and place. The middle of the day with all the businessmen walking around just isn't a good place for Snowman to ambush Problem Sleuth. She needs a dark alley in the middle of the night, and I couldn't provide.

It's good to know my plot fumbling occasionally has good results.

@Path: Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

@CandyLemon: Thank you!
    Untitled Problem Sleuth-ish Fics: 1 2 3 4 5
    The Sapphire of Alternia: Parts 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Ep On Ao3 SoA Gaiden: 1 2 3
    ConsortQuest: 1
    Other Stuff: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Ugh I will colorcode this eventually.

This relies on a specific culture context for recognition, so if you don't get it, I will explain in the second spoiler, but it is supposed to be a slow build to comprehension type of story. Of course the title might give it away for some of you.

The Whole Megillah

Last edited by Altum; 02-16-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Got a weird AU idea on a whim and whipped this up in ten minutes. Who says the trolls can't be on opposite sides of the species gap?

Here is my Tumblr and here is my Dangan Ronpa forum adventure and honestly both of those are pretty interesting you should check them out.

@Altum: That was really cool! I figured it was something Jewgish, but I don't know anything about Jewgish holidays other than the ones the Rugrats covered back in the day.

@spacetimeCounselor: That was really cool. Human!stoner!Gamzee is the best. Someone needs to write a Jekyll and Hyde type thing with him.

EDIT: wow, I just realized how incredibly original I am with my praise. Everything is evidently "really cool."

All sweetness and bite CandyLemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Path View Post
    My Hardboiled Universe OTP remains Sleuth/Slick. (Crowbar's just some two-bit villain, and Problem Sleuth has bigger fish to fry.)
    I'm always going to gravitate to those two, and a weird fucked-up thing with Snowman. Other than that, obviously I am fond of jealous Droog and his for Sleuth.
    That being said, I am trying to branch out and characterize a bit more of my headcanon for this universe. So it's time for some Felt.

...as soon as I finish Ambush. >_>
    My only OTP used to be the Slick/Snowman weird fucked-up thing, but then your writing persuaded me of Slick/Sleuth and jealous Droog. Add in all the Felt shipping I picked up from the Romart threads, and my Problem Sleuth/Midnight Crew/Felt shipping wall is such a complicated web I'm happy to add in extra links anywhere.

...I'm holding on to HD/NB though

“What?” Sleuth asks. “Is it Itchy? Do you need to get away from his smell first?”

“Fuck you, Problem Sleuth.” Itchy pipes up.

Crowbar grins at the comment. “No,” He answers. “We need to go someplace first.”
    ^ I also re-read that 4 times before I realised Crowbar was replying to Problem Sleuth and not Itchy. Clearly I have a bad case of Shipper's Brain and/or shouldn't try to read first thing in the morning

And yesssss, Ambush I'm looking forward to that.
    Last edited by CandyLemon; 02-16-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerodactylus View Post
    @Altum: That was really cool! I figured it was something Jewgish, but I don't know anything about Jewgish holidays other than the ones the Rugrats covered back in the day.
    Thanks! I am not a Purim expert either, and I wrote it for my friend who is Orthodox that just got into Homestuck, so I was NERVOUS. I stuck to what I knew and stayed vague on the rest, and I think it worked out pretty well! There are some specific traditions of Purim involved here--plays and retellings of Esther's story (aka, the megillah, from whence the expression 'the whole megillah' entered English!), cookies shaped like Haman's hat, noisemakers used to drown out Haman's name every time it's spoken in the play, costumes and the exchange of small gifts of food.

The story goes like this:
    Last edited by Altum; 02-16-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Just my 2 booncents of Homestuck fanfiction here. I wrote this for a Secret Santa exchange on these boards and even though I was far too late I still had to rush to finish.

So the point is, I already know it's nothing good, but I figure that there may be one or two bits that one or two people might like and those odds are good enough for me to post it here anyway! All in good fun, I hope. Of course, if anyone does read it and wants to comment something - anything at all - I'm always listening! Since I'm still horribly inexperienced I can use any advice, if anyone would want to share, so feel free to point anything out you don't like and I'll be grateful for it!

Last edited by Sleaw; 02-16-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Holy crap, Sleaw. That was actually a really good story. The descriptions in particular were fantastic. I guess the only criticism I have is that the dialogue seemed a bit unnatural at times, but that's easily fixed and overall it was really good. It's clear that you put a huge amount of effort into it, and it shows.

I didn't really see much about it that relied on Homestuck to work--you could probably change the names of the characters (and I guess their descriptions), and have it be proper original fiction rather than fanfiction.
    Chumhandle: ceruleanTresses

Stuff I done wrote

Comrade of Anonymity anonymousComrade's Avatar

Taking a break from rewriting Crossing Over to bring you this thing

Doubt I'm gonna continue it and there's no way this hasn't been done a million times before (and despite not naming it, it's going to be completely obvious what this is)

I guess I'm just writing it to be writing something

Notes:
    What am I doing, I'm not a writer, I'm garbage

AO3 | tumblr
    Pesterchum: anonymousComrade

Quote Originally Posted by ceruleanTresses View Post
    Holy crap, Sleaw. That was actually a really good story. The descriptions in particular were fantastic. I guess the only criticism I have is that the dialogue seemed a bit unnatural at times, but that's easily fixed and overall it was really good. It's clear that you put a huge amount of effort into it, and it shows.

I didn't really see much about it that relied on Homestuck to work--you could probably change the names of the characters (and I guess their descriptions), and have it be proper original fiction rather than fanfiction.
    Yeah, I felt the same way. The characters didn't really have anything to mark them as themselves either (Rose I can forgive, due to brainwashing, but Dave and John sounded equally generic and kind of... you could have called them Bob and Joe and I REALLY wouldn't have known the difference)

i mean, definetly an interesting story, solid premise, but not very homestuck-y... TBH you should file the serial numbers off (ie, change everybody's names) and make it original fic.

Thanks and thanks! Yes, you are right. I had trouble getting a grasp on their personalities and so I guess they actually became different ones! I'll tell you worse though: I actually have trouble with this in other stories I write as well. Somehow, all my characters become more or less generic, no matter how they look in my head. It's something I'll definitely try to work on. Thanks a lot for reading and commenting!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleaw View Post
    Thanks and thanks! Yes, you are right. I had trouble getting a grasp on their personalities and so I guess they actually became different ones! I'll tell you worse though: I actually have trouble with this in other stories I write as well. Somehow, all my characters become more or less generic, no matter how they look in my head. It's something I'll definitely try to work on. Thanks a lot for reading and commenting!
    Some advice for that - the way I learned to write character was, believe it or not, by roleplaying; and in turn the way I got good at THAT was to read a LOT of character dialog. In fact, the way I started with the first character I ever roleplayed (from fandom) was to literally copy down his dialog by hand from a printout of the game script while watching videos of him speaking. That got me to really think about how he spoke, the words he'd use, and in general how he'd behave.

believe it or not, a lot of writers I know do this when they want to master a particular style. It's really helpful with fanfic. So, if you want to do more Homestuck, go copy some pesterlogs and some of Hussie's narratives (don't post 'em anywhere, just do it for yourself)

Quote Originally Posted by Altum View Post
    Thanks! I am not a Purim expert either, and I wrote it for my friend who is Orthodox that just got into Homestuck, so I was NERVOUS. I stuck to what I knew and stayed vague on the rest, and I think it worked out pretty well! There are some specific traditions of Purim involved here--plays and retellings of Esther's story (aka, the megillah, from whence the expression 'the whole megillah' entered English!), cookies shaped like Haman's hat, noisemakers used to drown out Haman's name every time it's spoken in the play, costumes and the exchange of small gifts of food.

That WOULD be Terezi's favorite. I'm familiar with the story of Esther (the Book of Esther in the Bible is the same story), but I didn't realize Jews had a holiday for it (although now that I think about it, it would make sense).

Quote Originally Posted by Altum View Post

That WOULD be Terezi's favorite. I'm familiar with the story of Esther (the Book of Esther in the Bible is the same story), but I didn't realize Jews had a holiday for it (although now that I think about it, it would make sense).

Hanukkah gets all the press because it's close to Christmas, but from what I understand from my Jewish friends, Purim is actually a bigger deal. It's one of the most 'fun' Jewish holidays, and not explicitly religious, although it is officially classed as a miracle. There is actually a Purim fic exchange on Livejournal, as a parallel/companion to Yuletide. /beetips

I'm not much good at plotting and descriptions (which you don't seem to have any issue with anyway), but I can offer some advice on character development I guess?

What I like to do is come up with the bare bones of a character, and then postulate different scenarios and decide how the character would handle them. As I go through the scenarios, the character gets fleshed out more and more. Eventually, I can derive the character's response to a new scenario by considering the logical outcome of her background and personality traits, and the character continues to evolve.

Then, to make it come across in the actual story, there are a number of things you can do. One method--illustrated beautifully by Homestuck--is to give each character a unique speech pattern and/or unique mannerisms. Another is to include scenes in the story that function as defining character moments (while, ideally, also moving the plot). But the most important thing, I think, is to let the characters drive the story. If you come up with a plot, and then characters to put in it, then they will by necessity become generic because they have to carry out the plot as it's written.

I hope that is helpful! I really did like the story. The scenario is a rich one and could easily be adapted to a longer work, like a novella.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by lucidSeraph View Post
    Some advice for that - the way I learned to write character was, believe it or not, by roleplaying
    Same here. In fact that's basically what I was saying about the scenarios, except worded much more succinctly. It really does help a great deal, because it forces you to figure out what they'd do on the fly, until thinking like the character becomes second nature to you.

Stuff I done wrote

Whoa, that's almost definitely one of the things I've been doing wrong. I do tend to focus a lot on building a plot first and then almost adding the characters in when the framework's already there, leaving no room for them at all to move around on their own. If I try what you say - getting to know the character before I actually start writing - it should work out better. To be honest, I never even suspected that's where the problem might lie, so thanks! I will try it out!

That sounds like a great idea! I have only recently started to discover that there are subtle ways in which characters identify themselves through their dialogues, and by the way you explain it I think if I could manage to get a similar thing going my own characters would sound less generic as well.

To both points you guys raise, I think it's imperative that I try writing 'outside' the story as well, to get a feel for the characters. For some reason I've never really done that before, and I'm excited to try it out.

Side-note: I just noticed the thread title, and my story is actually titled 'Winterwands'.

Queen of Storm, Duke of Thorns

Author's Note

Katrika aaaah. Why are you so awesome and why is everything you write so awesome?

Stuff I done wrote

That was great! I'd ask how the heck you did that but it's gotta be MiRaClEs.