MSPA Forums
Page 52 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2424950515253545562 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 2516

Thread: MSPA Fanfiction V: We're Going to Need More Wands

Re: MSPA Fanfiction V: We're Going to Need More Wands

Quote Originally Posted by Kassiopeia View Post
    IDK, I don't have a high opinion of my writing, but I put a lot of effort into the stuff I post here and it would be kind of saddening to be hated upon from on high. OH WELL IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN ANYWAY.
    Once again I agree with you. I pretty much always think whatever I put up is crap, but I still spend hours trying to make it slightly less crap. Even if it is a silly thing like "BLOOD AND BLOODLESS: Rebooted." (I made poor Author edit the punctuation SO MANY TIMES since I couldn't go in and do it myself, lol. I am a mean person.) And days after the fact I'm still going back and tweaking my songfics. Why do I do this? Because I have no sense of perspective, that's why.

(Your writing is actually good though, so I don't know why you don't have a high opinion of it. )
    Chumhandle: ceruleanTresses

Stuff I done wrote

This is not for you. lucidSeraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ceruleanTresses View Post
    IDK, I don't have a high opinion of my writing, but I put a lot of effort into the stuff I post here and it would be kind of saddening to be hated upon from on high. OH WELL IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN ANYWAY.
    Once again I agree with you. I pretty much always think whatever I put up is crap, but I still spend hours trying to make it slightly less crap. Even if it is a silly thing like "BLOOD AND BLOODLESS: Rebooted." (I made poor Author edit the punctuation SO MANY TIMES since I couldn't go in and do it myself, lol. I am a mean person.) And days after the fact I'm still going back and tweaking my songfics. Why do I do this? Because I have no sense of perspective, that's why.

(Your writing is actually good though, so I don't know why you don't have a high opinion of it. )
    YEAH IDK WHAT KASS' DEAL IS, SHE WRITES BETTER THAN LIKE

ALL THE MFA: FICTION PEOPLE I KNOW

YEAH KASS YOU WRITE BETTER THAN DUDES GETTING THEIR MASTER'S DEGREES SO STOP WHINING.

We're All Doomed

Chapter 10: Idle Paws

Last edited by SeptimusMagistos; 02-14-2011 at 04:35 PM.
    Fan Fiction:

A lot of people are their own harshest critic.
    I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
    I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

AO3

is not actually a Lotus Exige lantadyme's Avatar

You guys should all be proud of your writing. You are all amazing and even if you're not producing stuff you're happiest with right now, you are learning from it. You will get better.

PART 1 PART 2 PART 3 PART 4

THE KOLLOSAL KONCLUSION TO KARKAT'S KROSSDRESSING KHRONICLE

after never updating it for like three months or something

Last edited by scintillatingMoniker; 02-14-2011 at 04:59 PM.

I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
    I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

AO3

Quote Originally Posted by SeptimusMagistos View Post
    We're All Doomed

Good god that looks like it was a lot of work! Work well invested! Troll romance shenanigans are always fun, and I love your interpretation of troll shipping.

Stuff I done wrote

Quote Originally Posted by lucidSeraph View Post
    YEAH IDK WHAT KASS' DEAL IS, SHE WRITES BETTER THAN LIKE

ALL THE MFA: FICTION PEOPLE I KNOW

YEAH KASS YOU WRITE BETTER THAN DUDES GETTING THEIR MASTER'S DEGREES SO STOP WHINING.
    DAAAA GUYS
    I wasn't fishing for compliments I just didn't want to look like I was being all OH NO NOBODY CAN MAKE MEAN COMMENTS ON MY PERFECT MAGICAL WORKS, MY PRECIOUS EGO CANNOT TAKE IT~~~

but thx

anyway I should probably write some more fic sometime. Still falling down all this original nonsense though.

e: Decker you know how much I love that Karkat/Terezi one! I am honoured and delighted to have had some part in beta-ing

On a mudball in the unfashionable arm of the milky way

A concept that I fiddled with for the Battletech crossover.

The humans cause their troll session.

Really.

The trolls would be in communication with the humans before the reckoning ( and thus, the Vast Glub. They would not have a session yet. How the trolls would communicate with the humans before their own session (as well as few other mechanics and snippets) will be explained in a spoilered section below. Critique, if you please.

No gods! No kings!
    Freedom Though Technology!

I am not a libertarian. Nor am I an objectivist. Just to make that matter clear.

bluh bluh cute kitten draconicAlgorithm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeptimusMagistos View Post
    We're All Doomed

This was just so adorable. x33 An excellent Valentine's Day update!
    An occasional fanfic writer and general lurker. -- Chromatica: An Ib-inspired text adventure featuring Homestuck characters

I know I've said it before, but I'll reiterate. I would be incredibly uncomfortable with Hussie reading my stuff, for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that he's had way more experience than me in this whole writing biznasty, and honestly I feel like I'm clumsily fumbling with his ideas and characters like a highschool prom date. Plus, haah, I am very well aware of some of my srs bzns tendencies, spelling errors, and downright stupid or cliche turns of phrases. So yeah, massive embarrassment.

But that said? I am very proud of us as a forum. Out of all of the places I've been, this has been one of the most creative, talented, diverse sections in a fandom I've ever been in. And I am proud to be associated with you guys.
    Strider brothers fics (many thanks go to egregiousBass for compiling them):

Sionnan @ AoOO | Years in the Past (but not many)- A Homestuck RP

Quote Originally Posted by Sionnan View Post
    I know I've said it before, but I'll reiterate. I would be incredibly uncomfortable with Hussie reading my stuff, for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that he's had way more experience than me in this whole writing biznasty, and honestly I feel like I'm clumsily fumbling with his ideas and characters like a highschool prom date. Plus, haah, I am very well aware of some of my srs bzns tendencies, spelling errors, and downright stupid or cliche turns of phrases. So yeah, massive embarrassment.

But that said? I am very proud of us as a forum. Out of all of the places I've been, this has been one of the most creative, talented, diverse sections in a fandom I've ever been in. And I am proud to be associated with you guys.
    What Sionnan said.

I'll add that, despite rarely disliking what I write (and sometimes actually enjoying it), I still admit to having none of the knowledge about Hussie's stuff that he does, so it'd be kind of awkward if he ever read it (ohgod I turned Aradia into a necromancer aaaaaa...)

I don't post or look her as often as I probably should but I agree too.

...Although in my case it's more the fact that I've decided Karkat is a crossdresser for no real reason and I can't write Gamzee to save my life.
    Last edited by scintillatingMoniker; 02-14-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Is this the right thread to be posting in if I want to ask for help on a fic? If not, could some one direct me to the right thread?

Ok. So.

Besides a few school assignments, my writing experience with fiction is little to none. Seriously, I don't even RP on the regular basis because of my ridiculous shyness, and even when I do it's usually just the occasional dickery of posting in dear_mun on LiveJournal. I always take notes on my ideas for fic, have them all in order to the smallest details- but when it's time to write the damn thing I'm like "lol hi there blank screen."

So I want to know, form all your forum folks, how do crank out your first draft? How do you get started? What is your process?

bluh bluh cute kitten draconicAlgorithm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scintillatingMoniker View Post
    PART 1 PART 2 PART 3 PART 4

THE KOLLOSAL KONCLUSION TO KARKAT'S KROSSDRESSING KHRONICLE

after never updating it for like three months or something

I just read all of these. Crossdressing Karkat is now my headcanon. Forever. :3

Also, I found it funny that when you posted the second one, people were freaking out because someone killed Gamzee. xD

@revri: I usually start out with the first thing that comes to my mind. Even if it's totally cliche, dumb, etc. The beginning is definitely the hardest part, though, so don't feel bad about it. You can always go back and edit it later, and sometimes even that "dumb" intro will grow on you and you'll use it anyway. xD
    Last edited by draconicAlgorithm; 02-14-2011 at 05:31 PM.
    An occasional fanfic writer and general lurker. -- Chromatica: An Ib-inspired text adventure featuring Homestuck characters

Land of Pine Trees and Car Dealerships (Alabama)

Quote Originally Posted by revri View Post
    I guess this is the right thread to post in, or it's at least the thread I would post in if I were asking that question.

As for my process, it's basically the same as yours, I'll have all my ideas and write them down (although not terribly organized). Then I start typing, just describing the pictures I get in my head really. When I'm done I go back and reread and edit it until I'm sick of it (an me being who I am will always still have spelling/grammar mistakes) then if it's serious, I'll reread over and over again over the next few days, if it's more a joke fic (ie, most of my fics) I'll just go ahead and post it.

Because even if it is terrible, people can suck it up and get over it, their eye bleeding can't be that bad you pansys.
    Last edited by Domoz; 02-14-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: This is the thing i'm talking about with the spelling.
    ----tumblr----Devian-Tart

Is this the right thread to be posting in if I want to ask for help on a fic? If not, could some one direct me to the right thread?

Ok. So.

Besides a few school assignments, my writing experience with fiction is little to none. Seriously, I don't even RP on the regular basis because of my ridiculous shyness, and even when I do it's usually just the occasional dickery of posting in dear_mun on LiveJournal. I always take notes on my ideas for fic, have them all in order to the smallest details- but when it's time to write the damn thing I'm like "lol hi there blank screen."

So I want to know, form all your forum folks, how do crank out your first draft? How do you get started? What is your process?

Firstly! Here's the writing critique thread. Read the rules there though.

Second, MEIN PROCESS:

1. Get an idea. This usually happens unexpectedly and often when I am sitting on the train going "there is nothing to do on this fucking train." Often, the way I get ideas for fanfic is by going "Okay, what part of X hasn't been explored in canon?" or "So what if we changed element Y, what would that do to the characters?" or, for crossover fic, "So what if Z characters encountered Sburb?"

EXAMPLES:

Sometimes, I get stuck for inspiration; this is especially bad with ongoing fic like Violetesence (in fact, I know where I want to go with that one, but I am stuck because I'm waiting for more info from canon re things like Horrorterrors and the Green Sun so I don't get Joss'd like an idiot). Everybody solves this differently - some people I know go for walks, others re-read canon, some look at fanart; me, I roleplay a LOT. Some of the best ideas I have for both Violetesence and reVisions have come out of RPing with friends, ESPECIALLY the former (I have some fantastic scenes planned thanks to a jade Eridan and teal Feferi on Livejournal who are both FUCKING AMAZING roleplayers; the involvement of Brown Vriska is because of my friend Kari and me RPing the characters together)

2. RESEARCH. Lots of people neglect this step. I go back through canon and I read up on the characters/situations I'm writing about. So, for Violetesence, I read a lot of Dave and Rose pesterlogs; for reVisions I did a lot of reading on the Guardians and the base mechanics of Sburb. in some cases, I do outside research - for Violetesence, I spend a lot of time digging through my old literary criticism on House of Leaves, as well as chugging on through Wikipedia articles on all kinds of weird subjects. Doing research lends credibility to your stuff.

3. Browse the fora for a few hours, going "Fuck, I should really be doing actual homework, what kind of miserable failure am I?"

4. Decide that fanfic is more fun than homework, open a few tabs with my compiled research and hammer stuff out. With the research, I try to make certain that I'm matching the voices of the characters well (this is so hard with some of them DAVE, JOHN, GAH,).

when I do my writing, I try to remember the adage that everybody hates: Show, don't tell. Basically, you can go "John was sad that Karkat was dead." or "John bit his lower lip and closed his eyes, then turned away from the grisly scene." Which one gives you more of a sense of what's going on, which one hits harder? It's the one where you show the characters' actions rather than tell how they feel.

5. Read over the fic a few times, check for grammar and spelling errors, then chuck it at my friend Kari and go KARI KARI HELP and then Kari goes IT IS AWESOME and I go WELL OKAY

6. Scream, because I use crazy HTML tags and I have inevitably left one open.

7. Post.
    Last edited by lucidSeraph; 02-14-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Ok. So.

Well, most of my stuff is non-serious. But it sounds like you have your plots in order, and it's just a matter of figuring out how to word them? So maybe I can offer advice on that aspect.
    I never have any luck trying to start at the beginning and just write something straight through to the end. What I usually do is come up with one or two lines that I like, and build the rest of the fic around them. Once you have a starting point, it's just a matter of connecting other lines to those lines and moving outward. When I get stuck on one part, I'll do a different part that I think will flow more smoothly. Eventually I end up with a complete fic. I hope that helps!

Stuff I done wrote

Ok. So.

I'll admit I don't usually experience the same problem, but for me it's usually just a matter of finding a place I like and starting off from there. When I have an idea for a dialogue or a scene, I just sort of let the words run away with themselves. Half the time things essentially end up writing themselves.
    Fan Fiction:

standing around being psionic Path's Avatar

I never take notes and I rarely edit past fixing my tense (I always default back to first person present). I never have any ideas at all until the first line of the fic pops into my head. The way I write, the first sentence always has some key to the whole fic, some way of explaining or understanding the character and what they're going through. If I can get a good first sentence, I never have to think about the rest of it. It just flows from there.

tl;dr- put in as little work as possible and bullshit the rest
    Midnight City Stories (Problem Sleuth/Midnight Crew/Felt crossovers on AO3)
    =DeviantArt=

Path C20710

Esabelle is awesome c: Metaflare's Avatar

Tons and tons of bullshit ideas enter my mind, and then I bullshit out a story. Which are bullshit in themselves.

Basically I am a terrible role model and you dont ever want my writing advice
    http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9202/littlebanner.png
    TROLLS IN SPOILER|TUMBLR HERE|IN WHICH ME AND MY FRIENDS PLAY GAMES

Ok. So.

I'm not big on writing down ideas. (I need to get better at this if I ever wish to write past short stories, which I do.) If an idea strikes me as good I hold on to it, flag it in my head and let the ideas stew a bit before I even think of starting.

When you sit down the blank page is scary. It's intimidating. You think you can't possibly fill up that space with words, and even if you do the words don't look right. They look like they're not enough to capture the picture in your head. You have to get over that. The picture in your head will always be malleable because it has no written form. You're giving it a written form and you'll lose some of what you want to put into it, but that's okay. That's just the nature of the task.

Put down words. Keep putting down words. When it feels like it's done, stop. Let is sit for a few hours and then go back to it, read it over and edit. You may have to repeat this step many times. I know I do, since I edit for flow and structure and characterization more than typos or tense.

Writing is a weird animal, man. It's scary a lot of the time. It's also a lot of fun.

(Also hearing everyone's writing process is awesome! Thanks for sharing, guys. :3)

Ok. So.

Some other advice, now that I think of it...

I started writing fic more regularly once I got to grad school, because in grad school I pretty much have to write every day no exceptions. Missing deadlines = death, because I am paying a lot of money to go here and I don't want to drop out (Aaaaaaaaaaaaa)

So, set yourself a goal. Make yourself write every day, no exceptions, even if you don't post it and even if it is complete fucking bullshit. Be like AND THEN DAVE AND JADE WENT OUT FOR ICE CREAM AND MADE OUT THE END. Even if it's shit, it'll get you into the writing mood and you'll have to accept your writing even you think it is total shit (90% of writer's block is going "BAWW MY STUFF IS SHIT")

Quote Originally Posted by lucidSeraph View Post
    So, set yourself a goal. Make yourself write every day, no exceptions, even if you don't post it and even if it is complete fucking bullshit. Be like AND THEN DAVE AND JADE WENT OUT FOR ICE CREAM AND MADE OUT THE END. Even if it's shit, it'll get you into the writing mood and you'll have to accept your writing even you think it is total shit (90% of writer's block is going "BAWW MY STUFF IS SHIT")
    This is the best piece of advice a writer can ever take to heart. Write every day. Every day. You do it long enough and words become as second nature as breathing.