MSPA Forums
Page 53 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3435051525354555663 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2516

Thread: MSPA Fanfiction V: We're Going to Need More Wands

Re: MSPA Fanfiction V: We're Going to Need More Wands

Quote Originally Posted by draconicAlgorithm View Post
    I just read all of these. Crossdressing Karkat is now my headcanon. Forever. :3
    inorite

I wouldn't have written this silly thing if not for people messing around on the MC forums, but thanks.

I hate to ask for criticism but I'm going to have to since I haven't gotten any for the entire "khronicle" so far. I know my Gamzee is shit, but that's all I can point out as being bad while I know I've made a million more mistakes.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Path View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by revri View Post
    So I want to know, form all your forum folks, how do crank out your first draft? How do you get started? What is your process?
    I never take notes and I rarely edit past fixing my tense (I always default back to first person present). I never have any ideas at all until the first line of the fic pops into my head. The way I write, the first sentence always has some key to the whole fic, some way of explaining or understanding the character and what they're going through. If I can get a good first sentence, I never have to think about the rest of it. It just flows from there.

tl;dr- put in as little work as possible and bullshit the rest
    Yeah, I pretty much do the same as this. I mean, I totally recommend the lucidSeraph method, but in my experience it mostly just takes the situation's inception for the story to take hold. Admittedly, I haven't done anything except crossovers and one Davefanboys fic, so I don't have any research to do for the most part, but if you DO use the characters heavily (especially the trolls) then research is pretty essential. Read pesterlogs to get a feel for each character's personality, and maybe clear yourself up on some past events that you may have forgotten about.

One problem I always have is that there are a couple of scenes I want in my story and I just can't figure out how to connect them properly, but in short stories and fanfics you can always cheat a little and just start in the middle of the action - in fact, sometimes it helps to open with a bang and then explain how you got there.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Metaflare View Post
    So I want to know, form all your forum folks, how do crank out your first draft? How do you get started? What is your process?
    Tons and tons of bullshit ideas enter my mind, and then I bullshit out a story. Which are bullshit in themselves.

Basically I am a terrible role model and you dont ever want my writing advice
    Hey Metaflare. Where's the next chapter of Courtstuck, huh?

...seriously though did you stop or something, I kind of missed like 50 pages of fanfic threads and I don't want to have to read through them
    Last edited by Kerensky287; 02-14-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Abomination Unto Nature Red Pen's Avatar

Generally I'll come up with some completely ridiculous crackfic idea, something that I know will be really fun to write about, and then ramp it up to eleven and write as if it's taking itself seriously. A good story starts with an interesting idea!

As far as conquering the soul-crushing blank screen goes, it helps to just get something written, it doesn't really matter what. Start with a pesterlog, a conversation, a description of the scene, and once you've started you'll usually gain momentum and get a good rhythm going. You can always go back and delete or rewrite things later (I've got huge files all over the place full of snippets and descriptions and entire conversations worth of dialogue I edited out of my fanfics), but getting something typed out makes the whole thing seem a little less intimidating.

Super High-School Level Poster Sporkaganza's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

MY WRITING PROCESS (in all its glory)

1. Suddenly get a spark of inspiration from somewhere.

2. Start writing blind without planning anything.

3. Realize that my lack of planning has written me into a corner, and/or just get lazy.

4. Don't finish the story. Feel like a douchebag.

Lol yeah. I am clearly not being serious.

I do have a bit of advice on step one, though. Although you may wish you could force inspiration, this is not something you can make yourself do, sorry! Unless you intentionally read/watch/do lots of different things, which will help you gain access to more ideas which might inspire you more often, which I recommend. But you still can't force inspiration. You just gotta wait for it.

That is pretty much the end of any actual advice I can give!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iguana Baritone View Post
    Homestuck is just Dragon Ball written by Douglas Adams.

The Cthulhu Of Suburbia JudgeDeadd's Avatar

Is this the right thread to be posting in if I want to ask for help on a fic? If not, could some one direct me to the right thread?

Ok. So.

Besides a few school assignments, my writing experience with fiction is little to none. Seriously, I don't even RP on the regular basis because of my ridiculous shyness, and even when I do it's usually just the occasional dickery of posting in dear_mun on LiveJournal. I always take notes on my ideas for fic, have them all in order to the smallest details- but when it's time to write the damn thing I'm like "lol hi there blank screen."

Well first I get an idea. Once it's there, the first grain of sand around which the pearl shall grow, I begin thinking about the plot (the hardest part, I'm terrible at coming up with plots and it shows...) while simultaneously writing the entire fic in my head, repeating it over and over, thinking up some cute sentences and adorable lines. Finally when I decide it has percolated in my cranium enough, I sit down and actually type it into the computer over the course of a few days. It changes as I type, usually ending up about 50% different from the text I had in mind before I began typing.

As lS said, research helps, though in my case it's mostly reading canon pesterlogs over and over to get an idea of the characters' voices. Good thing my mind is malleable like that so that their specific speech patterns pretty much become my second nature after just a little exposing of myself to them.

Then I leave it alone for a while and re-read it once or twice to fix mistakes and straighten out awkward sentences.

Then I post it to the fora AND (usually) to AO3 and obsessively await any response.
    Morthol Dryax on Formspring / My chumhandle's hourslongBrouhaha, have fun "talking" to me since I'm never online!
    ~~~~~~~~

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Oh yeah, my idea-forming process:

OPTION 1:
    -Ask someone. Actually, just asking for ideas here seems to get responses fairly often.

OPTION 2:
    -Just think about your favourite aspect of MSPA and let your brain go from one point to the next until you have a hypothetical situation you want to look into. For me that's super-easy because my favourite part of Homestuck is just the Sburb Game in and of itself, so I just go, okay, what would THESE characters from my other favourite series' do in a Sburb situation? How would they get there? What would make the session unique? If you're more into Trollmance though (just as an example... those obviously aren't the only two options), you could just throw a dart at your shipping wall and write a scene about the pairing it lands on, or maybe write about why you think they'd make a good couple/triad in that spot.

EDIT: Oh, speaking of which, I'm trying to branch out in my writing a little bit. Anybody have ideas for a sadfic or other seriousfic they want to see? All I've written so far is comedy crap and I want to see if I can get by without abusing that kind of DISTACTION.

The scribbles I did in here the last few days are actually the first creative writing I've done in... six years, I guess? On the other hand, I do huge amounts of technical writing for my job and was very briefly a professional columnist in a past life. Basically, everything everyone else has said, especially lucidSeraph's advice. I also find it worthwhile, if I'm stuck on something but have a rough idea what I want to put there, to just drop a placeholder in and move on, then come back when I have a better idea what I want to write in the skipped spot. I have so many draft documents that have sections that consist of something like "BLAH BLAH WRITE SOMETHING ABOUT TEST METHODOLOGY HERE," and back when I was doing more creative writing I had unfinished stories that had sections replaced with the equivalent of "AND THEN THEY ALL FILLED A PAIL AND FLEW OFF IN A SPACESHIP."
    Last edited by Decay; 02-14-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Esabelle is awesome c: Metaflare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kerensky287 View Post

...seriously though did you stop or something, I kind of missed like 50 pages of fanfic threads and I don't want to have to read through them
    THIS IS WHY I DONT LIKE STARTING THINGS. People actually like my shit and I end up dissapointing them because I lose interest so fucking fast
    http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9202/littlebanner.png
    TROLLS IN SPOILER|TUMBLR HERE|IN WHICH ME AND MY FRIENDS PLAY GAMES

Quote Originally Posted by Kerensky287 View Post

THIS IS WHY I DONT LIKE STARTING THINGS. People actually like my shit and I end up dissapointing them because I lose interest so fucking fast
    I can sympathize with this problem a lot more than with not being able to start something. With me it's more like I'll start something and then a couple pages later - or a couple dozen - I will not so much lose interest as get sidetracked by other things. I'm hoping my current project will be the one I actually stick with to the end.
    Fan Fiction:

Pronouns
    ey/em/eirs

Is this the right thread to be posting in if I want to ask for help on a fic? If not, could some one direct me to the right thread?

Ok. So.

Besides a few school assignments, my writing experience with fiction is little to none. Seriously, I don't even RP on the regular basis because of my ridiculous shyness, and even when I do it's usually just the occasional dickery of posting in dear_mun on LiveJournal. I always take notes on my ideas for fic, have them all in order to the smallest details- but when it's time to write the damn thing I'm like "lol hi there blank screen."

Something I will repeat that has already been said: WRITE SOMETHING EVERY DAY. Seriously. Try to at least write 200 words a day, just to get in the mood, just to keep things going. 200 words is nothing, man, so it'll be easy to get that out, right? Right.

As for ideas: I am probably unlike most other people here in that I have a BORING AS SHIT JOB that also allows my mind to wander for most of the day. I might get an idea, and just let it roll around for a day or two. Gather details. Work out little inconsistencies before you ever put anything down on the screen/on paper.

That's not always the case, though, and I get an idea I have to put down RIGHT NOW. Try not to ignore those ideas, if it's at all practical. Seriously, they can churn out some pretty solid one-shots.

The drafting process... ah, my least favorite part. Why? I love writing, and yet there is always going to be that one thing that I start, and then the words stop coming for me. My way around this: Don't work out TOO many details. I've learned this the hard way. If I try to plot out every last little thing, the story doesn't feel like it grows organically. And so, blockage. I can't think of the right phrasing, or I might just feel like I'm forcing myself to keep going. If I leave myself some wiggle room, rather than saying "X MUST HAPPEN IN Y CHAPTER", I'm able to say "oh, hey, what if (character) did this?" It can open up an entire subplot I hadn't even thought of before then.

I do not write multiple drafts. The only time I write multiple drafts is when I'm making stuff for publishing. But that's different.

Holy shit balls you guys. If I knew that I'd be getting feedback of this quality over such a short period of time, I would have stopped lurking FOREVER AGO.

@draconicAlgorithm and Domoz: Hm. I've been told a lot that this work, but the problem for me about having this "Bullshit catharsis" is that I delete passages as soon as I write them if I don't like them. Maybe instead of throwing away what I've worked on to start some thing new, I'll keep keeps the bad stuff and roll with it. As much as it'll hurt.

@lucidSeraph: Oh hey thanks! After this post, I'll be sure to stop clogging this thread and get my help there! I'll take it all to heart, because reading over that, I've only gone through step one and two, and I'll try to make good on the rest. Especially research. The idea I have in mind is very speculative, and I didn't think of doing research other than like... Character dissection to get some voices and motives right. Also, lol goals. I have none. Guess I ned to. Fix that.

And is the Jade Eridan you're referring to have an account name forevveralone? Because. Uh. I play him.

@lantadyme: This. Really helps. :]

I think the biggest problem for me is how much I DON'T put down words, and even if I do I'll usually read it over too soon, not like it, delete the entire passage, and I'm back to the blank page. I think I'll just stop editing as I go so that doesn't happen any more.

I'll be taking my questions to the critique thread from now on, but thank you everyone for the help!

Well, I succumbed to the urge to write a fanfic on Valentine's day. But, since I suck at the sappy stuff, and the even somewhat romantic stuff, I made a sadfic. Here, I give you.

Liar

Well, I hope that didn't suck. Feedback is always wonderful :3 Thank You for Reading.

EDIT: Colored Nepeta's text and disabled Smileys as recommended.
    Last edited by DizzySpecibus; 02-14-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    Fantrolls

I'm just agreeing with everyone else. I guess.

Also, I'd start small when writing. Short stories/ficlets/every other damn name for a short story are real good ways to cultivate vast amounts of plots and, with deft hands and perhaps a green thumb, you can grow yourself a nice little flower to show off to people.
    Fanfiction

Tumblr - For Those Searching Enlightenment Only!

Troubadour of Can Town X15lm204's Avatar

For me, the hardest part is always finding a place to start. For short form stories, I often have trouble coming up with an idea at all; for long form stories, I often spend so much time coming up with ideas that I lose track of how I wanted to start it and nothing ever gets written down at all (here's looking at you, Penrose, which would be a huge dozens of chapters story if I could figure out how to tie it all together, instead of being one little CD character study).

However, I'm much better at taking the beginning of an idea and turning it into a larger work. Optimally, I work by looking at what I know about canon, focusing on something that stands out, and wondering "How did that happen?" or "What might the consequences be?" This is how I wrote 0Kay With This, Just Like Alw8ys, and Rainbow Paints - just meditating on cause and effect can find you some great ideas, and if that isn't enough, make up one wacky, crazy event and think about what would need to be true for it to happen - see Ashen, which started just as "CD gets a ring or scepter" and expanded outwards in all directions from there.

If just thinking about canon doesn't suffice, there's always the hundreds and hundreds of fantastic fanfics on these threads and elsewhere to look at. Sure, it's kind of lame when everyone's writing what basically boils down to the same fic with countless minor variations, but there's no reason you can't use other people's work as a source of inspiration. Look at a particularly good or interesting fic, focus on one idea from it, and think "How would I do this differently?" or "What if this happened this way instead?" Take that, give it your own flavor, and take it in whatever direction it naturally progresses - whether or not it's the same direction as the original doesn't matter. Even recursive fanfiction - writing fics that are explicitly continuations of other peoples' fics - while awkward, is generally fine. After all, if people minded the idea of taking someone else's work and continuing it, what would they be doing writing fanfiction? Still, it's best to stick with finished works, and if someone does object it's best to back down. Of my own works, The Island of Misfit Trolls, Identical, Shit, Let's Be Parents, and Ringmaster of the Hive were all written based off of other peoples' fics or ideas.

If even this doesn't spark your inspiration and you really need a more complete concept to start with, the livejournal request thread is a great place to look. There's dozens of unfilled requests at any given time, which can not only make for a great jumping-off point but is also practically guaranteed to make someone's day if you use there ideas. Nazarasprite, Identical, and Kcutsemoh are all based on ideas I found there or in similar threads, and are in my opinion some of my best work.

As for the actual writing process, I find that too much planning only slows me down, so I often find myself sitting down to write with just an idea and a few scattered sentences I know I want to include, then let my stream of consciousness flow as it will. I know this doesn't work for everybody, but it's a great way of writing without worrying about living up to your own expectations or forcing yourself to go in a specific direction if you find another one feels more natural. Once I've got something that feels complete, the next most important thing to do is to read it. I just pretend I'm someone other than myself and see if I find it entertaining. Then read it again a few more times to see if it holds up on rereads. Some people find this dangerous, but since I am a hugely arrogant asshole have a good amount of confidence in my work and am a borderline MPD case have an easy time stepping out of my writing, this comes easily to me. The idea of laughing at your own jokes might seem lame, but you need to be able to entertain yourself before anyone else - especially considering that the only reason to write fanfiction in the first place is for fun. If you find this really doesn't work for you, and reading your own work just convinces you more and more that it's awful, find a good beta-reader you trust and ask them if you're full of shit or not.

Well, I hope that bit of rambling helps somebody.

TL,DR: "What if? What if then? How did we get here?" and "Entertain yourself, then seek to entertain others."
    Last edited by X15lm204; 02-14-2011 at 07:17 PM.
    I lurk in the dark, and am likely to be eaten by a grue.
    Fanfics: (AO3!)

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I realized shortly after writing Mythstuckers 1 that I had just finished an RPF, and I kind of attacked my own brain for a while as a result. But now I've made peace with that because I'm more writing about characters based on the Mythbusters than about the people themselves, which frees me up to do some improvisation, as seen below.

SBURB FICS THAT NEVER WERE

V: Mythstuckers Reloaded

COMMENTS:

bluh bluh cute kitten draconicAlgorithm's Avatar

Just to sort of add on to X15's talk about getting ideas, another good source of inspiration can be fanart. Taking a look at the fanart thread or perusing some of Homestuck groups on DeviantArt can be a good way to brainstorm. A couple of my more recent fics, Killer and Coulrophobia, were inspired by fanart, even though the picture that did the inspiring had little or nothing to do with the actual plot of the fic. It's not bad to pull things out of life either. You can always look at something that's happening to you or around you and think, "How would so and so react to something like this?" You can really get ideas from the weirdest places. :3

EDIT: Yay, more Mythstuckers! I really like that crossover. :3
    Last edited by draconicAlgorithm; 02-14-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    An occasional fanfic writer and general lurker. -- Chromatica: An Ib-inspired text adventure featuring Homestuck characters

@SeptimusMagistos: Wow, you really went all-out with this one, didn't you? Nepeta as Tavros was just golden. And who could forget this bit of solid advice?

Quote Originally Posted by SeptimusMagistos View Post
    If Tavros really wanted to keep files private, he should have just done what she did and marked the folder ‘Equius’s Art.’
    Poor Equius.

@DizzySpecibus: The best feedback I can give is formatting: flip off emoticons at the bottom of the advanced editing and actually colour Nepeta's lines, since she's not in quotes. She's... um... COLOR=#416600.

@Kerensky: I love how Grant goes into the technical details of his tar incident, but what I really love is the mental picture of Adam hearing constant narration for stuff he just doesn't get to see. It'd make a great single take.
    Last edited by SkaianRedeemer; 02-14-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    My Fanfiction:
    A Hand in Holding Hands, Аn Аshen Fanfic - Completed, several chapters of content and the rest of commentary.

-WEIRD ROMART MISPOST WHOOPS-

Edit Well fuck ,wrong thread. GDI and I checked it like. Four times to make sure I wouldn't do exactly this.
    >< D'don't mind me.
    Last edited by Cas; 02-14-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Esabelle is awesome c: Metaflare's Avatar

As amazing as that is, shouldnt that go in the romart thread?
    http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9202/littlebanner.png
    TROLLS IN SPOILER|TUMBLR HERE|IN WHICH ME AND MY FRIENDS PLAY GAMES

Watches you and hungers Wigmund's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

My writing procedure is the following:

But I just wanted to say that I love everything that's been posted here. I feel terrible because except for that silly thing I posted here for MayorSillyBiscuits, I haven't posted anything here in weeks.

Just gonna drop this BS off.

Legend of Zelda: Sburbian Showdown

Last edited by DJ-P0N3; 02-14-2011 at 09:45 PM.

KARNEWARRIORS WRITING PROCESS: AKA WHY KARNE IS A HORRIBLE ROLE MODEL FOR ANY ASPIRING AUTHOR.

1: Collect idea from Garden of Eden. Try to focus on that big tree in the center that Logic said not to touch.

In case you were wondering this is an analogy.

2: Eat apple. Digest plot for 1 hour to 3 weeks. Make sure it's sustainable for long enough to write.

3: Write fic. Pay no attention to spelling or grammar. Emulate other authors.

4: ???

5: Magma critics.

As amazing as that is, shouldnt that go in the romart thread?
    Yes, that's where I thought I had posted it >///<;
    Fixed

This is not for you. lucidSeraph's Avatar

Holy shit balls you guys. If I knew that I'd be getting feedback of this quality over such a short period of time, I would have stopped lurking FOREVER AGO.

@draconicAlgorithm and Domoz: Hm. I've been told a lot that this work, but the problem for me about having this "Bullshit catharsis" is that I delete passages as soon as I write them if I don't like them. Maybe instead of throwing away what I've worked on to start some thing new, I'll keep keeps the bad stuff and roll with it. As much as it'll hurt.

@lucidSeraph: Oh hey thanks! After this post, I'll be sure to stop clogging this thread and get my help there! I'll take it all to heart, because reading over that, I've only gone through step one and two, and I'll try to make good on the rest. Especially research. The idea I have in mind is very speculative, and I didn't think of doing research other than like... Character dissection to get some voices and motives right. Also, lol goals. I have none. Guess I ned to. Fix that.

And is the Jade Eridan you're referring to have an account name forevveralone? Because. Uh. I play him.
    Actually, er, no, it was the other Jade Eridan (cinema_augur); though I've played with you before (I'm fpoke_of_ftairs) and I remember you being pretty awesome too

Also you don't need to do that much research, I am just obsessive and weird

HEY REST OF THREAD, WAY TO BE CLASSY WRITER DUDES AND GIVE ADVICES

Land of Pine Trees and Car Dealerships (Alabama)

Yes so. This thing here-

The Pirate and the Empress
    (1/ a whole lot)

A/N
    Last edited by Domoz; 02-17-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: No Author you are a good beta, I am just a derp
    ----tumblr----Devian-Tart