MSPA Forums
Page 10 of 99 FirstFirst ... 789101112132060 ... LastLast

Thread: [S] Rex Duodecim Angelus - Artists Needed

Vindictive Chemotherapy Lord Obselescence's Avatar

Re: [S] Rex Duodecim Angelus

IT IS REALLY AWESOME THAT PEOPLE ARE GETTING IN ON THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Edit: Actually you know what, I work best when someone is telling me what to do. Any requests for action panels?
    Early stuff would be nice, since it'd help in getting animation set up chronologically. Maybe you could do something like this?

0:30 - 0:50 - Derse soldiers -- Bishops, Rooks, Pawns, warp onto the trolls' platform. Pawns align in formation. Shots of Bishops and Rooks in battle poses.

The awesomeness factor of the fight against the pawns would double if we had a shot with Sollux and/or Aradia tearing a Rook apart from afar with their psionic powers.
    Last edited by Rational Absurdity; 04-14-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Here, have a chess background.

There are some mistakes and this image is not cropped. It's mostly a mockup.

Clouds, soldiers, meteors and bloodspatter can be added at will. I have saved a huge .rif of the file and can edit as needed.

THINGS I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN THIS FLASH:

1. Eridan used as a (flailing unwilling) weapon by Equius. Who is dual-wielding with a gleeful Nepete in his other hand.

2. Sollux. Mind Honey. Make it happen bros and brolinas.

3. Someone gets a cheek pinched. Double points if it's KK.

4.Chess pawn guts on the Aradiabot camera lens.

5. Tavros in a speedo as the ultimate attack from Vriska's dice roll. YOU BROKE THE GAME AND MY BRAIN ;_;
    Last edited by luka; 04-14-2011 at 08:11 PM.

@luka
    beautiful
    the sky should get progressively more firey as the battle goes, can you make it happen

@everyone
    something was bugging me
    how do we effectively show everyone battling in the beginning and during the empty spaces without spoiling the dramatic effect of their entrances

unrelated: i will make a special outfit for kanaya's entrance

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Elb View Post
    Yo, I'm another one of those guys who made an account to keep tabs on this thread

I thought I'd point y'alls attention here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elyQS...layer_embedded
    Anyone else think it'd be a good idea to ask him for a contribution? He's probably busy with his little game and all, but it can't hurt to ask.

Additionally, where else has anyone spread word about this project?
    If we're talking fan animators, someone with authority should contact this guy as well. :O

Quote Originally Posted by t00swift4u View Post
    @everyone
    something was bugging me
    how do we effectively show everyone battling in the beginning and during the empty spaces without spoiling the dramatic effect of their entrances
    Shots of the sprites moving and fighting, but as silhouettes or too zoomed out to be clearly visible?
    Last edited by Windwaker; 04-14-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Singing a Canticle GenetiXientist's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Idea: Equius/ Nepeta fastball special (a.k.a. Equius STRONGthrows her at the black king, while she sticks her clawed gloves out to cut off tentacles and stuff. Maybe he throws her at the king's face, and she takes out half of the king's eyes?)

I can make this HAPEN X2 COMBOB.

To show the various characters at the start I would suggest framing the shots from behind or otherwise not focusing on their faces/activities for too long. Quick action shots in rapid succession would work well for the percussion of the music. Then when each gets their moment, go full-on center stage.

Editing to add: Equius throwing Nepeta at the end of their segment works with the way she's constantly getting in the way of his aggro rage. Having him throw her at the king in STRONG E%ASPERATION would be a nice comical moment that culminates in the bam-bam-bam at the end of their attack when she actually wails on the King after flying gleefully through the air in that Nepeta sort of way we all love. Sums them up nicely as a pair of goofball warriors.
    Last edited by luka; 04-14-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by t00swift4u View Post
    @luka
    beautiful
    the sky should get progressively more firey as the battle goes, can you make it happen

@everyone
    something was bugging me

unrelated: i will make a special outfit for kanaya's entrance
    I would consider using brief shots of the fight at a time, switching to different characters every couple seconds. It would be best if there is more than one troll in each camera shot. This will take away from the focus of a specific troll and their abilities and bring attention to the battle itself, and that they're kicking ass.
    Of course, I've absolutely no experience in the field of cinematography, or anything related to it. It makes sense in my head, though.

Professional Organ Melter quixoticKinetics's Avatar

Threw together another fighty type thing, here ya go~

And still images without my shit effects and bg under the cut:

My gifs are pretty much just mockups of how I imagine they could be used, so anyone who's putting stuff together/is just better at bgs and animation and such can feel free to do whatever is needed with just the stills.

@luka
    shots from behind or otherwise odd angles could work
    maybe the camera could be shaky as well

@rational absurdity
    definitely should be switching focus a lot and having several characters in each frame

@windwaker
    too zoomed out or silhouettes in their respective colors could work

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Equius throwing Nepeta at the end of their segment works with the way she's constantly getting in the way of his aggro rage. Having him throw her at the king in STRONG E%ASPERATION would be a nice comical moment that culminates in the bam-bam-bam at the end of their attack when she actually wails on the King after flying gleefully through the air in that Nepeta sort of way we all love. Sums them up nicely as a pair of goofball warriors.
    i like this

hey guys just an addendum to my post yesterday suggesting that kanaya's part mirror jack's battlefield slaughter in Descend (see here http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread...=1#post4949176)

anyway yeah, i opened up the swf of Descend in flash and cut it down to just the scene of jack showing the battlefield his stabs, and replaced the music with kanaya's part of Rex Duodecim Angelus, just out of boredom and curiosity.

it already syncs up perfectly!

http://megaswf.com/serve/1055477 (bluh shitty host site sorry! also jacks feet are no longer animated oops ignore that)

so yeah, please watch that clip. imagine, kanaya stepping forward all calm, applying her lipstick, then standing before the black king. we see her hand holding lipstick come across the screen, and then the chainsaw sound in the song happens as the lipstick becomes her chainsaw, and then awesomeness as kanaya begins slicing off tentacles and other extraneous limbs.

tell me it doesn't look and sound awesome in your head.
    sup

@flobee
    it does sound and look awesome
    it's just that drawing parallels between kanaya and jack has some weird implications that don't make any sense

@t00swift4u

well, i kinda get where you're coming from, but i don't really think it's really a big deal

hussie makes completely random callbacks by having characters re-enact things all the time, a lot of which don't make any actual sense other than just being a callback. characters often end up in the exact same poses, characters repeat things said by others word for word without having spoken to or heard that character say it, etc. in my idea here, we simply have kanaya slicing some tentacles, animated similarly to jack slicing some dudes on the battlefield. the way i'm imagining it, we aren't making kanaya look menacing or evil when she comes out, we're doing the complete opposite by making her come out all peaceful and calm as she daintily applies some sexy green lipstick.

then we make her unleash her inner badass which has come out on a couple of occasions.

but it's okay, it's just a suggestion. i think it would be awesome.

we're only in the way super duper early planning stages of this animation, anyway. :)
    sup

asdf

I think I might redo my storyboard to make it match Flobee's, since it just seems overall more organized and fitting than what I had decided to go with.

Wiggler

I registered to start one of these myself, even though I've no artistic talent. Glad to see you're already on it!

Only thing I can see is there's no mention of the GLUB in the storyboard, but there is in both the song notes and the description of the battle. There's a great sound for it at 0:49ish, but that would happen right when the "GRIEF!" sign would pop up. Still, it seems like that should be something that happens... Maybe it'd be how the Black King starts, and Aradia is shown to quickly shut it down and difuse it? Might cut into pawn killing time, though...

If I had any drawing skill, I'd jump on this... Sorry, guys.

@flobee
    ok when you put it that way it makes perfect sense
    seriously every time this thread fights over callbacks, in comes the word "contrast" and suddenly everybody agrees

for the record your kanaya storyboard is the closest to what i was imagining anyway

Really South Texas. Like, a 2 hour drive from the border.

I know I might be intruding here, but I'd like to suggest this:
    Terezi distracting the king momentarily with a coin flip (maybe having both heads/pairs of eyes following it in the air) then using the opportunity to attack.....

I ship all the ships. Monstaman's Avatar

Oh that's a chainsaw rev in the song! I thought it was a black king moan/roar/groan. Ahahaha.
    I am a human being of unspecified social status and I perform activities of a certain nature for varying lengths of time.

Vindictive Chemotherapy Lord Obselescence's Avatar

The most I can say for the Kanaya-Jack thing is that we shouldn't go overboard on the parallels. I think it's cool to have them every now and then (the Gamzee one particularly -- has anybody asked permission to use that one yet?), but it sounds a lot like Kanaya's part is largely built on callbacks, so... I'd be careful with that.

Quote Originally Posted by quixoticKinetics
    Threw together another fighty type thing, here ya go~
    This is beautiful.

I'm thinking that maybe this could be fit in as the second part of Equius-Nepeta's theme (with the first part being used for their introduction). Equius could be pummeling the Black King like so, and then when Nepeta's part plays, she sort of pushes him aside to get her shots in.

So maybe that could be expanded on to get a Nepeta-push effect?

Keep up the good work either way.

Only thing I can see is there's no mention of the GLUB in the storyboard, but there is in both the song notes and the description of the battle. There's a great sound for it at 0:49ish, but that would happen right when the "GRIEF!" sign would pop up. Still, it seems like that should be something that happens... Maybe it'd be how the Black King starts, and Aradia is shown to quickly shut it down and difuse it? Might cut into pawn killing time, though...
    The Glub is rather vexing for me, and I've been looking around for ways to represent it. I guess maybe a ripple effect while the Black King is being presented (in time with the underwaterish sounds at the beginning of the song), but I'm sort of grappling with making that happen in animation terms. ~_~

But yeah, it'll find its way into the storyboard sooner or later. It'd be more of an overlay effect, I think, so I'm not sure images necessarily have to be made for it (unless somebody'd want to try tackling that).

Here, have a chess background.
    I WEEP.

This is very nice. I'm thinking potentially we could go for a red sky effect and have meteors crashing down on it while it scrolls along. That'd be pretty cool. :O

@obselescence
    i am still working on the glub and aradiabot situation

We know the Glub hurts folks, I vote for nosebleeds in addition to whatever ends up representing the actual effect. Nosebleeds all around for the lower caste trolls and maybe an exploding Aradia or three. And a few folks covering their ears in pain. I suspect an almost-glub would still hurt like hell.

Also, could do a thing where the clouds around the king start getting blown out in a ring when he's trying Glubbage (this just isn't a word I can parse without giggling). Messing up the clouds might add to the whole thunderstorm vibe every time something awesome happens in the battle, too. Rain makes for awesome atmosphere and pain in the ass animation!

Red sky effect for the chessfield will be easy to render, and if need be I can conjure up more bg (chessland is FUN to draw and a long horizontal pan would set the scene like a mofo) and once we have the plain BGs, altering them with smoking craters or dead pawns and messing with the lighting/ cloud movement/lilypad positioning will be cake.
    Last edited by luka; 04-14-2011 at 11:54 PM.

i was all for aradiabots bleeding at the glub (maybe exploding too) but i think they managed to keep it from reaching the team, who being not robots would probably die instantly
    but they can be covering their ears and stuff if it fits well somewhere

someone suggested the aradiabots send out their own psychic ripples to cancel out the ones coming from the king starting with the underwater sounds around 0:30-0:40
    then i think glub should get more frequent and intense when the pipe organ plays at 1:05. the aradiabots' waves have trouble keeping up with it and that's when they start bleeding and exploding
    Last edited by t00swift4u; 04-15-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Is it strictly necessary for Tavros to fail while everyone gets to be a badass? It is in the song notes, but it just seems like it detracts from the epicness for me.

I can only throw out ideas though since I have no artistic talent.

The Bard of Rage charges in!

NOTE: The blood all over his clubs and the clubs themselves being black are not in the final version, I just threw them into the upload for my DA. They are on a separate layer from the rest of the picture so Subjugglator Gamzee can become Heroic Bard Gamzee as needed. Like a barbie doll you can dress up in the blood of Skipper and Ken! I did forget to add his gray spots though. Will fix and reup.

And I'm joining Team Tavros Gets To Do Something Cool.
    Last edited by luka; 04-15-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Hello! I am afraid that all I can contribute to your cause is thread-watching an emotional support, but as long as people were posting vaguely-related links, I thought I might as well chime in.

I stumbled across this at some point and thought it had some good things in there. I'm not saying it's ZOMG TEH BEST THING EVAR but it has a few ideas that I have seen in this thread (fastball Nepeta, Karkat slicing shit up) and some things that might be cool and maybe kill some empty space that needs filling (I'm not sure how you all want to do Vriska's dealio, but this involves a bit with a Magic 8 ball that I like).

Page 10 of 99 FirstFirst ... 789101112132060 ... LastLast