MSPA Forums
Page 12 of 99 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262 ... LastLast

Thread: [S] Rex Duodecim Angelus - Artists Needed

That one town with the guy called YCobb in it.

Re: [S] Rex Duodecim Angelus

I was more asking for opinions on which style I should go with. Does anyone think that my messier style looks better, and whether or not it would be too out of place in this? I can knock out the Hussies styled stuff much quicker, especially if I turn down the attention to detail closer to the average in-comic hero mode picture, but I think the messier one might better portray the frenetic nature of the battle.
    ๏̯͡๏)

I would love to contribute some art to this project, but I'm mostly busy with school stuff and/or my fan-adventure CampusWrecked.

However, I can contribute this bit of advice: Maybe decide on a common style for you all to use? Thus avoiding confusion and to avoid the styles jumping all over the place. Not necessarily The Hussinator's style, but just one you can all use and get used to drawing. But hey, that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphosky View Post
    Annnnnd a little bit more of Terezi's storyboard.

Someone suggested that she flips a coin, so I tried to incorporate it.
    I like this, but her kind is cane, and fighting with a sword seems non-canon, and even a canesword seems to be pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mono99099 View Post
    I like this, but her kind is cane, and fighting with a sword seems non-canon, and even a canesword seems to be pushing it.
    uHHHH,

I suggest you rewatch [S] Make Her Pay.

Philosopher of Truth enragedFingernail's Avatar

What still needs to be done?

Made these, thought they could be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedBlasphemy View Post
    However, I can contribute this bit of advice: Maybe decide on a common style for you all to use? Thus avoiding confusion and to avoid the styles jumping all over the place. Not necessarily The Hussinator's style, but just one you can all use and get used to drawing. But hey, that's just me.
    A lot of the flashes have wildly varying styles. [S] Make her pay, for example.
    Last edited by Bellstrom; 04-16-2011 at 09:33 PM.
    In the least offensive way possible.

WHAT IF

Instead of theKings head being TORN OFF by Gamzee, it's just plain fucking GONE.

I always say in casal conversation that if Equius punches you, you just turn into a fine red mist.
    Now that I think about it, it really fits as Gamzee's flipout move.

So I was just listening to RDA, thinking about a previous suggestion that I seem to recall with an Aradiabot being shown returning from a timeline, and I thought of an interesting intro, I think.
    We see a really quick setup, maybe even just the trolls standing together on a lily pad. Then the black king kills all but their Aradiabot, and we see the Aradiabot warping into the 'real' battle, but isn't the first one to arrive. This allows us to show how each Aradiabot basically lost the fight.
    ๏̯͡๏)

Vindictive Chemotherapy Lord Obselescence's Avatar

What still needs to be done?
    An awful lot. Mostly right now we're accumulating the variously needed storyboards and art assets. If we manage to string enough art assets for the beginning of the song together (hint hint), we'll be able to start animation work.

We see a really quick setup, maybe even just the trolls standing together on a lily pad. Then the black king kills all but their Aradiabot, and we see the Aradiabot warping into the 'real' battle, but isn't the first one to arrive. This allows us to show how each Aradiabot basically lost the fight.
    This sounds good, but I guess the main issue with doing something like this is that the beginning is looking kind of crowded already. So I'm not sure we'd be able to fit more in for Aradiabots than that they're warping in.

I know this is probably pretty out of place, and I'm not really much for the animating and the drawing-y things, but I was looking at the storyboard for Terezi's part and the first thing I thought of when she flipped the coin was that she could distract the Black King with it, and maybe slice it in half/scratch the coin with her sword..cane..thing in the process of attacking him.
    Remember that Terezi uses the coin again with Dave after all's said and done with the Black King, so probably nothing done to the coin. Having Terezi distract the Black King with it is an interesting thought, though.

Made these, thought they could be useful.
    More Gamzee. More awesome.

I was more asking for opinions on which style I should go with. Does anyone think that my messier style looks better, and whether or not it would be too out of place in this? I can knock out the Hussies styled stuff much quicker, especially if I turn down the attention to detail closer to the average in-comic hero mode picture, but I think the messier one might better portray the frenetic nature of the battle.
    Stylewise, I think you could really use whichever one you think'd fit the scene. They both look pretty cool and it's conceivable that we could use either-or.

"Messier style" might go better with the actiony scenes, but I can't base that opinion on anything in particular, so... really up to you!
    Last edited by Obselescence; 04-16-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Professional Organ Melter quixoticKinetics's Avatar

As far as all these questions of style go, I think there should be an effort to keep to a vaguely similar style, but not forcing anyone to change their style of drawing completely. Or rather, not so much keeping to the same style as using the same tools to at least keep something consistent. The art style in the flashes change often, but aside from the regular derp sprites, the art all tends to keep the same sort of coloring and the pencil-tool pixelyness. I normally do a lot of linework with my stuff, but after seeing Differential's submissions here I thought I'd try to match that a little to keep some consistency (and also because it's way faster than doing lineart >>). The art style is obviously different, but it can still look like it was designed for the same piece and also inspired by Hussie's style.

Also, YCobb, I like both your styles and I think either could work well here, especially given that Hussie's style is also often pretty messy. I'd recommend using whichever was easier or quicker for any pieces that you might need to do a lot of characters/animation/whatever, and larger/still images/things you want a lot of detail on could get the other style.

idk my two cents, feel free to ignore me I am just an art monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool View Post
    WHAT IF

Instead of theKings head being TORN OFF by Gamzee, it's just plain fucking GONE.

I always say in casal conversation that if Equius punches you, you just turn into a fine red mist.
    Now that I think about it, it really fits as Gamzee's flipout move.
    did
    did i get lost in the torrent of posts
    or am i just being derp again
    that happens a lot

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Can't really help much with art or anything, but I do have a couple of suggestions
    1. Have a health bar. It kind of makes sense, and it'll help show just how powerful Gamzee's attack was. I'm thinking everyone until Gamzee takes out about 1/4 total, Gamzee takes 1/2, and Vriska takes out the last 1/4
    2. Speaking of Vriska's attack, personally, I think with luck-based attacking like her dice, combinations of attacks have far more damage potential than powerful individual attacks. And with luck-based attacking, the best you can really hope for is essentially eliminating the luck from it. So, I think the roll should be something like "Choose 3", with the chosen abilities being a powerful disarm to break the scepter, a powerful bind to hold the king in place, and a slow charging but very powerful beam of light (Which the bind would hold him in place for

i enjoy the varied styles

Quote Originally Posted by Obselescence View Post
    This sounds good, but I guess the main issue with doing something like this is that the beginning is looking kind of crowded already. So I'm not sure we'd be able to fit more in for Aradiabots than that they're warping in.
    At risk of sounding like I'm just in it to stroke my own ego, could the panning shots of the King be replaced with the full body, ground level shot I offered to do? Provided I can get the scale to be well conveyed, it should be similarly effective to the original idea and clear up some space. Even without the Aradiabot bit I suggested, it could be useful to clear up more space for other animation.
    ๏̯͡๏)

Quote Originally Posted by Rotirt "YCobb" Kunset View Post
    So I was just listening to RDA, thinking about a previous suggestion that I seem to recall with an Aradiabot being shown returning from a timeline, and I thought of an interesting intro, I think.
    Aren't most of the Aradiabots still alive after the battle, though? Because they were all there already when Jack interrupted their endgame, and they all were killed fighting Jack while the others escaped.

Besides that detail, along with the opening here getting a bit crowded, Aradia and Sollux have their whole moment later with all the meteors, so I don't think it's as necessary to give her extra spotlight at the beginning here.
    Last edited by quixoticKinetics; 04-17-2011 at 12:29 AM.

I can't say I see where you're going with the part with them still alive, but I do agree with your other point now that I consider it.
    ๏̯͡๏)

I can't say I see where you're going with the part with them still alive, but I do agree with your other point now that I consider it.
    Watch Jade: Enter again. During the troll's part, they're about to enter their world, Jack busts in like a boss and chops the door thing in half, and an Aradiabot throws them all into the transportalizer while all the other bots swarm Jack (and then a brief flash of the Aradiabot's floating around destroyed as it switches over to Karkat waking up on Prospit. You also see them all here.

I just think all those Aradiabots are the same ones they fought with, since the Black King fight was supposed to be the final battle so why would they not use any of the Aradiabots?

d3l1r1ous rud3br4z3n SirPwnington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by quixoticKinetics View Post
    Watch Jade: Enter again. During the troll's part, they're about to enter their world, Jack busts in like a boss and chops the door thing in half, and an Aradiabot throws them all into the transportalizer while all the other bots swarm Jack (and then a brief flash of the Aradiabot's floating around destroyed as it switches over to Karkat waking up on Prospit. You also see them all here.

I just think all those Aradiabots are the same ones they fought with, since the Black King fight was supposed to be the final battle so why would they not use any of the Aradiabots?
    I think what RK is trying to suggest is that each Aradiabot lost the fight in their own off-shoot timeline, and that we see one of them warping into the main timeline joining the others. Not that they die during the fight.

Yeah, that was my intention. Sorry, should have clarified that.
    ๏̯͡๏)

Vindictive Chemotherapy Lord Obselescence's Avatar

At risk of sounding like I'm just in it to stroke my own ego, could the panning shots of the King be replaced with the full body, ground level shot I offered to do? Provided I can get the scale to be well conveyed, it should be similarly effective to the original idea and clear up some space. Even without the Aradiabot bit I suggested, it could be useful to clear up more space for other animation.
    That sounds like a solid idea. If you could pull that off it'd be pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Konork View Post
    Have a health bar. It kind of makes sense, and it'll help show just how powerful Gamzee's attack was. I'm thinking everyone until Gamzee takes out about 1/4 total, Gamzee takes 1/2, and Vriska takes out the last 1/4
    This.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Yeah, that health bar is a good idea.

putting the "hell" in"no". Ace Rimmer's Avatar

I feel like the sketches shown are giving everyone exept vriska and gamzee too much power.

you know how powerful jack was BEFORE bec prototyped? he killed prospit, seriously.

I feel that the other trolls do hardly any damage, but gamzee does a METRIC TON of damage, vriska should do a 8th, to keep with her 8 theme, all the other trolls should do 3 sixteenths, but gamzee... 11 sixteenths.

in order of power, here is my list:

gamzee
    vriska
    equius and nepeta
    fef and eridan
    aradia and sollux
    terezi
    karkat and kan are in a tie
    tavros

of course,you all will ignore this.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

What you're neglecting is that everyone has all their fraymotifs and are using their most powerful weapons. Jack was super powerful, but Bro and Davesprite fought him to a standstill and neither were players at that point. Rose manages to zap Bec Noir, and John and Aradia have both frozen First Guardian prototyped enemies in time, John doing this without being God Tier or having his ultimate weapon. The Black King is immensely powerful, yes, but the trolls have spent six hundred odd hours grinding.
    WARNING: Contents of my posts may be more sardonic than they appear.

Skype Stuff:

Page 12 of 99 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262 ... LastLast