MSPA Forums
Page 13 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415162363 ... LastLast

Thread: [S] Rex Duodecim Angelus - Artists Needed

Vindictive Chemotherapy Lord Obselescence's Avatar

Re: [S] Rex Duodecim Angelus

I'm kind of iffy about an HP bar. First off because it seems kind of weird to me for us to show that, and secondly because I think it'd be better if we kept exactly how much damage everybody's doing ambiguous and just do a sort of by-degrees thing. "Okay, Karkat and Terezi cut some tentacles up. Gamzee blew off the Black King's HEAD."

On orders of power -- when you think about it, most of the trolls actually don't do a whole bunch that's significant on its own. There are some of about a billion tentacles sliced up, a claw cut off, etc. If the massive scale of the Black King is taken into account, it seems like what most of the trolls are doing is a death-by-a-thousand-cuts approach. Gamzee and Vriska are given the obvious power attacks, so... yeah.

Also consider that all of the trolls are at the top of their echeladder, have every fraymotif they can buy, and the best weapons alchemy can create. Gamzee and Vriska are even higher on that scale. By game standards, the trolls as a group are pretty ridiculously powerful. It's been stated that the fight would have been a breeze for them if Feferi's eldritch lusus hadn't been prototyped. so I think that, all things considered, the amount of damage that's been shown in the sketches is pretty acceptable.

My avatar scares me. newbonomicon's Avatar

Karkat says there's not really a way to tell whether Vriska or Gamzee did more damage. IIRC, the wording was somewhere along the lines of him doing more damage than anyone else "except possibly Vriska".

Quote Originally Posted by Obselescence View Post
    I'm kind of iffy about an HP bar. First off because it seems kind of weird to me for us to show that, and secondly because I think it'd be better if we kept exactly how much damage everybody's doing ambiguous and just do a sort of by-degrees thing. "Okay, Karkat and Terezi cut some tentacles up. Gamzee blew off the Black King's HEAD."
    Yeah, the HP bar seems to kinda detract from the general tone of the fight.

Also, so we've decided on Gamzee destroying the King's head as well?
    In the least offensive way possible.

What if the HP bar wasn't omnipresent, but only popped up and decreased briefly--following Gamzee's attack, while everyone is wtf-ing.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundy210 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Konork View Post
    Have a health bar. It kind of makes sense, and it'll help show just how powerful Gamzee's attack was. I'm thinking everyone until Gamzee takes out about 1/4 total, Gamzee takes 1/2, and Vriska takes out the last 1/4
    This.
    I agree, but I'm curious as to how we'll make it work. Would its position on the screen change occasionally for the sake of convenience?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
    I feel that the other trolls do hardly any damage, but gamzee does a METRIC TON of damage, vriska should do a 8th, to keep with her 8 theme, all the other trolls should do 3 sixteenths, but gamzee... 11 sixteenths.

in order of power, here is my list:

gamzee
    vriska
    equius and nepeta
    fef and eridan
    aradia and sollux
    terezi
    karkat and kan are in a tie
    tavros

of course,you all will ignore this.
    This is actually a good point to bring up in my own opinion, plus the list seems pretty accurate to me . . . though, wouldn't Kan be above Karkles in the power ladder?

edit;; derp.
    Last edited by appleaerosol; 04-17-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellstrom View Post
    I guess so. That seems to be the general consensus.

I agree, but I'm curious as to how we'll make it work. Would its position on the screen change occasionally for the sake of convenience.
    I'm more or less opposed to the HP bar, but if we do have it in there, I'd back Windwaker's idea of making it show up briefly -- like showing it drop a huge portion while having a pan-shot of the Black King with his head gone.

all this debate about a silly HP bar

from what i can tell, it can be tacked onto the final animation and then you can decide if and in what amounts it works

Quote Originally Posted by Obselescence View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellstrom View Post
    I guess so. That seems to be the general consensus.
    Alright. In that case;

In the least offensive way possible.

Demiurge of procrastination ArchmageFestus's Avatar
    Land of ADD and - oh hey look it's a a squirrel!

Ok, I'd love to do some storyboarding but I can't draw to save my life. That said, I still have way too many ideas bouncing around in my head for this project!
    Lessee…
    First off, I'll never be able to get out of my head the idea of Kanaya applying lipstick calmly and serenely, and then – bam, she's revving up her chainsaw. That gets my full support.
    Second, I'd love to see (after his attack) Gamzee just sort of sitting there, spacing out, and honking one of his horns in time with the final two honks (with the actual attack being the third-to-last honk at the end of the build up, at 5:09).
    Also, I've always imagined that the last Black King sequence (between Gamzee and Vriska's bits) involves the King getting desperate, getting in a few lucky hits, and about to crush someone, when – suddenly, somehow, Vriska manages to freeze the king in place with her manipul8ion, giving her the chance for the final dice roll.
    I feel like there should be a couple of shots of the timer counting down to the end of the battle, but mostly right at the beginning with 6:12 to go. And if we say that the king's death scream is from 6:23 to 6:25, the latter being when the music cuts out, and we take that the King dies LITERALLY at the last second before the Reckoning ended, then 6:12 before that would be 0:13, right after the first loop of the King's theme. (And there's actually a few seconds there without any "Aradia teleporting in" sounds, so that might be a good time to show the timer for a few seconds.)
    I still feel that Feferi and Eridan should only be working together incidentally. My idea was that the segment starts with Feferi attempting to aggress the King, and Eridan shoots away something that was attacking her and smiles at her – only to have her nod curtly and go back to the attack, causing Eridan to either sigh or get mad.
    Lastly, I've got a pretty detailed mental image of Equius and Nepeta's bit, which is what I would be storyboarding if I could draw. But, I'll write it out because why not.

… does any of that make any sense to anyone but me?
    PCHOOOO by talkingtree
    Occasionally Amusing Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by t00swift4u View Post
    all this debate about a silly HP bar

from what i can tell, it can be tacked onto the final animation and then you can decide if and in what amounts it works
    That's true, yeah. HP Bar could definitely be a last-minute preference decision.

so gamzee hits the blck kings head exploding it

it shows reaction shots of everyone wtfing

except terezi, who has her tongue sticking out
    That's about the size of it.

Remember there are TWO head2
    -retcon-

and I guess it briefly flickers into the one where he's throttling Equius
    oh

Quote Originally Posted by Wacom Guy View Post
    Remember there are TWO head2
    we know
    the idea is that he destoys one of them

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Just signing on to say that I fully support everything this flash will offer.
    Your supreme overlord TOPPLED KING of the one year strong IMAGE MANIMP THREED FIVE TEEN

Duke of Revision mechanicalProfessor's Avatar

how about when the thunderclap happens, the head is shown sliding off, with gamzee just sort of sitting on top of it being chill and baked. then he rides the head down and isn't seen for the rest of the animation? then the dice thing?

I thought that...since there ARE oracle clouds, whenever theres a thunderstrike, the clouds flicker to show what happens in the Troll's future.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-8 View Post
    I thought that...since there ARE oracle clouds, whenever theres a thunderstrike, the clouds flicker to show what happens in the Troll's future.
    :O
    ME GUSTA.

I never even thought of that! It can be overdone, though, so if we do that we should keep it minimal and creative.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

That's indeed a nice idea.

That one town with the guy called YCobb in it.

Hey guys, two quick questions about the black king I'm drawing. What do you think of the scepter? I know we see some asteroids seeming to approach it when Jack starts the reckoning in one of the flashes, but how literally do you think the scepter represents Skaia?
    Second question, albeit very closely related-does anything think the King is big enough to be visible from space?

...I think you know where I'm going from here.

EDIT: Also, for the King's eyes, are we doing one big one on each head, with an extra six on the left head? It seemed that way from one picture, but I'm not sure.

Also also, Obselescence, you should probably trawl the thread for images and collect them in the original post for easy reference.
    Last edited by Rotirt "YCobb" Kunset; 04-18-2011 at 03:05 PM.
    ๏̯͡๏)

Pronouns
    he/him/his

1. I think it was just an artistic view.

2. I think he would be like a small black dot when seen from off the planet.

1. I'd go along with the Scepter being more of a "modeled on Skaia" thing. It seems to mostly be important for the King's prototyping powers and activating the Reckoning.

Also, if we went with the Scepter as a direct representation of Skaia, its destruction (as seen at the end of the Black King battle) would probably be a bad thing. :P

2. The Black King is huge, but given that the trolls are about the size of one of its smaller eyes, how visible it'd be from space... Eeeeeh... probably depends on the Battlefield's relative size to Earth. My guess'd be similar to Blaperile's in that you could make it out, but not in a whole lot of detail.

That one town with the guy called YCobb in it.

I'm not so sure that the trolls are the size of his eyes. I went back to [S] Descend to check on the scepter (nothing concrete was shown past the meteor thing I mentioned, whoops) and couldn't help but notice some of the rooks shown in it. I was pretty far into the background of the piece and was still way huger than the Prospitan in the nearby castle. Having the King be the size he's currently set at would make the Rook pretty close to his size, maybe 3/4ths.
    I guess Rooks are usually pretty big, but considering the King was supposed to be just immensely huge beyond comparison, being comparable to a rook seems sort of underwhelming.
    ๏̯͡๏)

Go back to Feferi's introduction and check out the pages with her feeding her lusus.

The King would be on a similar scale.

You even have a whale for reference. :P

You can check the Black King size/shape references in the OP, but here they are:

Black King and Background

Black King's face and Trolls' Platform

Doing a rough comparison in the second one, it looks like the trolls are roughly the size of the Black King's smaller eyes. And I guess you could then compare the size of the Black King's head to the rest of his body to get a rough approximation of the size. :X