MSPA Forums
Page 33 of 99 FirstFirst ... 23303132333435364383 ... LastLast

Thread: [S] Rex Duodecim Angelus - Artists Needed

Queen of Swords egotisticSwordswoman's Avatar

Re: [S] Rex Duodecim Angelus

Quote Originally Posted by Obselescence View Post
    To sum it up, mostly you're free to make stillshots of the Black King looking menacing, and in fact it would be very much appreciated if you did... but there's not really any pressing need at the moment, I guess. Don't feel like you've got to.
    It looks like all the major sections have at least one person working on them, and I'm not quite willing to accept responsibility for any that might remain. I was hoping to help out with any pieces that aren't being addressed yet, and the need for King shots was the main thing I've seen referenced in the last few pages. Any suggestions?

Vriska doesn't appear to have worn her God Tier outfit throughout the battle (apparently confirmed by Word of Hussie). But since she hit God Tier prior to the fight anyway and apparently stole the clothes off her corpse, she'd have a ripped sleeve on her coat and regular glasses lens (no eyepatch) and her arm/eye in working order.
    I thought so. Thanks for confirming it.

And one more thing. This is a stupid question, but what program would I use if i wanted to animate things Homestuck-style? Is there one standard flash animation program, or what...?

alot of the Image Manipulaters have been using GIMP to make animated gifs.

has catGenes catastrophicGenesis's Avatar

I'm still hovering to make Perfectly Generic Odds and Ends, if anyone needs any. Otherwise, I will be sat over here, waiting to see the result.
    ->Place insanely rambly sig under spoiler tag for the sanity of all involved

In my restless dreams... The Leviathan's Avatar

Alright, here's a Terezi. I thought it would work well with the part right before she pierced the King's eye.

Last edited by The Leviathan; 05-10-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Oh, yes, I do have a fantroll.

The most serious mayor curiousTerminal's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by myu2k2 View Post
    a lot of the Image Manipulaters have been using GIMP to make animated gifs.
    Personally, I make the frames in photoshop, then edit them in ULEAD Gif Animator. I think, based off the Lord English self-insert he did, it's at least relatively close to what he uses himself. You can set the time for frames individually, as well as edit the frames right in the program, if you need some minor alterations.

For reference, Hussie generally uses a .05 second frame delay for his twitches.

Quote Originally Posted by curiousTerminal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by myu2k2 View Post
    a lot of the Image Manipulaters have been using GIMP to make animated gifs.
    Personally, I make the frames in photoshop, then edit them in ULEAD Gif Animator. I think, based off the Lord English self-insert he did, it's at least relatively close to what he uses himself. You can set the time for frames individually, as well as edit the frames right in the program, if you need some minor alterations.

For reference, Hussie generally uses a .05 second frame delay for his twitches.
    Thank you for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by The Leviathan View Post
    Alright, here's a Terezi. I thought it would work well with the part right before she pierced the King's eye.

AAAAAAAAAHHH THOSE TEETH

bluh bluh cute kitten draconicAlgorithm's Avatar

M'kay, just sort of perused the last few pages of this thread, and holy shit. You guys are amazing.

I wish I could contribute something, but I kinda suck in the art department, so I'm just gonna lurk for a while.

Stay awesome.
    An occasional fanfic writer and general lurker. -- Chromatica: An Ib-inspired text adventure featuring Homestuck characters

I know I saw somewhere what the dimensions of the images should be, but 33 pages is a lot to look through. What's the pixel-by-pixel size that the finished frames should be?

I'm going to play around with a very rough storyboard for Equius and Nepeta's section, since I don't think anyone's been working on that. I've listened to it through a few times, and they can alternate attacks in close proximity nicely.

What I want to do is have them progressing up one of his major limbs, fighting the various tentacles and such out of their way, so Equius can get in position to throw Nepeta to the King's face. That way, in concert with the scream of 3:51, she can scratch along the King's face and possibly rake an eye or two.

My idea works off a reference in the first post of the thread and my desire to change it a little into a call-back (call-forward?)
    3:35 - 3:54 (215-234s) - Shots of Equius and Nepeta punching/clawing at the Black King's face in accordance with the switches in the music.

The Fortunate Fallen GenetiXientist's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Yay, my fastball special idea is being used!
    Last edited by GenetiXientist; 05-10-2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Typo
    Sic Transit Gloria Mundi/Gam Zeh Ya'avor.

has catGenes catastrophicGenesis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by egotisticSwordswoman View Post
    I know I saw somewhere what the dimensions of the images should be, but 33 pages is a lot to look through. What's the pixel-by-pixel size that the finished frames should be?
    640 by 400 I think.
    ->Place insanely rambly sig under spoiler tag for the sanity of all involved

Quote Originally Posted by GenetiXientist View Post
    Yay, my fastball special idea is being used!
    Yep! I made sure to check the first page for the list of what's already been made and suggested, and I made sure to include those basic poses and actions in this.

Starting at 3:35, Equius and Nepeta are climbing up one of the limbs---possibly one of the claws---punching, slashing and ripping a few of the lesser tentacles out of their way. It gets increasingly difficult, as closer to the body has even more tentacles massing and preventing their progress. At 3:42, Nepeta jumps onto Equius, asking him to toss her, and he STRONG THROWS her to Black King's face. There, she gives him quite a few deep scratches with the 3:51 scream before the transition.
    Last edited by egotisticSwordswoman; 05-11-2011 at 12:43 AM. Reason: A Tired Person Forgot Some Relevant Information

Vindictive Chemotherapy Lord Obselescence's Avatar

The dimensions for things are generally going to be 650x450, in accordance with Hussie's standard. Stillshots that are going to be panned are probably going to be a bit larger than that, but 650x450 is the baseline.

The dimensions for things are generally going to be 650x450, in accordance with Hussie's standard. Stillshots that are going to be panned are probably going to be a bit larger than that, but 650x450 is the baseline.
    Pfffft. Should I go back and resize my Kanaya picture, then? It's not a thing that was made in Flash, but it is a still (kind of) and I just want to be sure.

And I'll try and work on stuff for the earlier portions.

i wrote this with my tongue Vequl's Avatar

@felicitousArtisan
    Thanks, I fixed the hair and the shine on the glasses

Demiurge of procrastination ArchmageFestus's Avatar
    Land of ADD and - oh hey look it's a a squirrel!

@ Vequel:
    … I will say that it doesn't quite look like Terezi without the insane grin, but I'm not sure it would look as badass if you added it. I might suggest making a variant with some sort of grin, either of which can be used depending on whether Terezi needs to look resolved or creepy.
    That said, nice work!
    PCHOOOO by talkingtree
    Occasionally Amusing Quotes

i wrote this with my tongue Vequl's Avatar

Here's the grin

I was actually scared of adding it, I thought it might look stupid but it looks surprisingly good

In my restless dreams... The Leviathan's Avatar

Bluh. I guess that makes my Terezi shot far too large then, even if it was panned. I don't suppose it would be too hard for whoever's putting the flash together to resize the images themselves though, would it?

I guess this one would be easier to work with, but still.

Also, I can't help but think I should animate this one as well. Something like her laughing mouth from Alterniabound. I'd also like to incorporate something that gave the illusion of rapid movement into the background if I did that, but I don't know how to do that properly. Thoughts?

Oh, yes, I do have a fantroll.

Quote Originally Posted by catastrophicGenesis View Post

First one is Bellstrom's terrified Black King shot, which I will take down if Bellstrom objects to its use. Second one is me being silly.
    Of course I don't object! Use my art as much as you like.

e: also i'll try to make some more shit soon
    Last edited by Bellstrom; 05-11-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: derp
    In the least offensive way possible.

Duke of Revision mechanicalProfessor's Avatar

http://mechanicalprofessor.imgur.com/all/
    peruse this, It's a simply massive collection of doodles I've done for various projects. see if there's anything usable in there! also I dont have a good camera, but I did my best. try not to puke at the SBaHJ-level quality...

Vriska was not in her god-tier outfit for most of the fight (none of what we saw in Aradia's self-memo), but that doesn't mean she can't quickchange into it for the moment she throws the dice. If nothing else, so the flash can use the frickin' awesome picture of Vriska throwing her octet for the final attack that depicts her in her god hood. Could be her way of really driving home to the King that he. is. f*#ked.

Also, not to flog my own ideas but since I didn't really see it come up again afterwards, I would toss back out my suggestion that when the roll lands and the little menu appears showing which attack she rolled (assuming it does!), her finisher attack be "CHECKMATE".

your friendly auxiliatrix felicitousArtisan's Avatar
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Vequl View Post
    Here's the grin

I was actually scared of adding it, I thought it might look stupid but it looks surprisingly good
    Yeah! That's looking good there! A huge improvement. Well done having the courage to put that mouth in there, even though it was a little daunting.

I did a quick animated montage for appleaerosol's Kanaya storyboard. I put the effect of camera shaking suggested in the picture with the chainsaw :3 but I didn't try to add any other effects like zoom or movement since these aren't my drawings, and I didn't necessarily sync it neither.

and I'll probably edit later since I have some ideas to draw for the trolls-fighting-dersites part.

Seeing an animation of that helps me understand what's going on there. I wonder what's going to happen with the second half of her section, once the chainsaw's running...

Now that I've gotten some sleep and a chance to look over what I posted, I'm offering another possibility of Equius and Nepeta's section. This version takes inspiration from Willspark's idea, PaperHelmet's animation, and covers the first half of their section.

I just developed this mental image of the Equius/Nepeta intro. Feel free not to even consider this, but I like the idea of, as the fabric flows by for Kanaya's bit, it opens on a slow pan up starting at the bottom of Equius's foot, panning up to him doing a STRONG proud stance, then as Nepeta's part comes in, immediately having her come out from behind him and do something goofy over his shoulder. Then continue with the rest of their stuff.
    Nepeta's actions from 3:37 - 3:39 could incorporate the flailing Nepeta that PaperHelmet posted earlier.

Hand drawn version:

Scanned and touched up a little:

So, as I've got it figured right now...
    3:34 is the transition second from Kanaya's section, and enters with a falling foot.
    3:35 with the first beat of Equius' section his foot crushes one of the tentacles.
    We begin zooming out.
    3:36 - 3:37 is the zoom out, in which we see Equius stepping forward and punching at tentacles. Nepeta follows.
    3:37 - 3:39 Nepeta's theme enters and she can be seen slashing at more of the tentacles. Quite a few are swarming the two, and she flails for a second to get the immediate ones.
    3:39 - 3:40 The theme switches and Equius can be seen dramatically ripping a tentacle over his head.
    3:41 Nepeta's attention has been captured by Equius' actions. She peers around at him inquisitively, and pounces...
    3:42 landing on his back with the slight droop in Equius' theme as it transitions to hers.
    3:43 - 3:44 He glances back at her and she settles in place, and they exchange smiles; rueful on Equius's face, and brightly enthusiastic on Nepeta's.
    3:44 - 3:45, as the theme switches back to Equius, Nepeta points and they both turn to regard what she's pointing at.

My initial idea had been to have them storming one of the King's faces---the one that Gamzee doesn't take---to do GenetiXientist's Fastball Special idea at it. I'm not sure if it's plausible... or if it makes sense, when Terezi's already been in to slash at his eyes, for them to duplicate the move.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
    Last edited by egotisticSwordswoman; 05-11-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Forgot the second set of images! D: