MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternian Turnabout: Aradia Megido (Phoenix Wright && Alterniabound) [BETA RELEASED]

Eight Forked Serpent octocephalicDragon's Avatar

Alternian Turnabout: Aradia Megido (Phoenix Wright && Alterniabound) [BETA RELEASED]

Animated logo by SomeGuyNamedDavid

Ace Attorney && AlterniaBound = Alternian Turnabout: Aradia Megido

Plot
    Taking place before the revenge cycle or SGRUB began, a murder that occurs during a night of FLARPing pits Team Charge and Team Scourge against each other in a competitive attempt to achieve a desired verdict.

Update: The game is more or less complete! It would be nice to replace the placeholder sound effects and voices with unique, personalized sound effects that capture a vibe similar to the original games, but after all the time I have taken preparing this game we can put that off. A deep thank you to all that were involved.

You may now give the game a try! It is more or less finished but there may be a bug or two I might have missed.

Screenshots:

Download:
    v1.0 for Windows

v1.0 for Mac

v1.0 for Linux
    Last edited by octocephalicDragon; 06-12-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: animated logo

Re: Alternian Turnabout: Aradia Megido

This sounds like the greatest idea I've ever heard.

I can't even deal with how much I love all these pw-style fangames popping up

oh yessss

Then I'd better not disappoint. I'd say that overall I'm about 30% done, when factoring in everything I'd like to take care of. I wonder if it would be a waste of time to figure out and list percentages of what's finished.

Quote Originally Posted by octocephalicDragon View Post
    Then I'd better not disappoint. I'd say that overall I'm about 30% done, when factoring in everything I'd like to take care of. I wonder if it would be a waste of time to figure out and list percentages of what's finished.
    I too would advise against that. Linus Torvalds, the creator of Linux, prematurely jumped the version number of his operating system to ver .95 at one point, despite it being no where near finished at the time. The man ended up sticking increasingly esoteric extensions as time went on, just to fit it between .95 and 1.0.

Is there anyone out there who knows how to or better yet wants to redraw the desks and podiums? I believe my artist is counting on a decision to be made on the desks and their height.

Does anyone know what the font for the Sylladex is? I have a similar font but it does not have lowercase letters. Here we have an alternative court records menu I made:

Just popping in to say that this is awesome. What this post lacks in practical support, it hopefully makes up in moral support. Very impressive!

Reasonably Batman Excaliburproxy's Avatar

I really truely want to play this.
    This guy is some kind of goddamn wizard.

Do you need any musical assistance? I am prepared to try and rearrange some PW or Homestuck stuff for use in this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenWarlord View Post
    Do you need any musical assistance? I am prepared to try and rearrange some PW or Homestuck stuff for use in this.
    Yes I would like that, and if I use your music you will be in the game's end credits.

So what type of tracks would you need?
    Cross-examinations, character themes, investigation/locations stuff and the like?
    And we're aiming for a more lo-fi video game sort of setting right?

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I've never played the Ace Attorney games, but this looks like pretty awesome.

(D'oh, I wrote up this entire post and then it was eaten!)

I would like for the soundtrack to fit the profile of Alternia and Alterniabound, while naturally giving wide leeway for homage to Ace Attorney's soundtrack.

At the moment none of my music is official yet, but I would say my higher priority for now would be getting music for the courtroom phase. If I remember what I typed up last, tracks to be the equivalent of:

"Suspense"
    "Courtroom Prelude"
    "Trial" (just as a note, my placeholder theme for this is Terezi's Theme, and when I hear it I think a slower version would fit better)
    "Examination" (both a "moderate" and "Allegro" version)
    "Objection!"
    "Cornered" (with a ramped up variation like in the PW games)

I will be updating the opening post with more details related to music soon.

I definitely won't be able to do all the music you want, but I'm willing to try and help. I'll get to work on "Suspense."

Cool, I look forward to hearing what you come up with.

http://soundcloud.com/tdwyer10/creeping-suspicion
    Here is the first WIP. Feel free to criticize and try and direct this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenWarlord View Post
    http://soundcloud.com/tdwyer10/creeping-suspicion
    Here is the first WIP. Feel free to criticize and try and direct this.
    Thank you ChickenWarlord, this can be used at the crime scene. Also, by the time you see this, there should be a PM waiting for you.

Blue water, blue skies BluddoSW's Avatar

Welp, I took that other background and made it lighter.

I know you said you want some desks and things done, and they shall be, but I'll be using this wide establishing shot as a base for the colors of all those, so if there's anything you think is off let me know so I can get it now, I also lightened the outlines on it to try to make it look more like a Phoenix Wright background, just blah blah blah...

Also, I think there should be some sort of image in that circle up at the top but I just can't think of anything good...

Hi Bluddo, a wise move to start there, because to be honest I'm a little confused with regards to colors. I think I may need artists for more than just people who can draw. The trolls' hives, and even the color scheme of the meteor lab was largely dark and filled with ashen colors or greys, and yet with the trolls being grey skinned and dressed in all black I always "fear" that the colors won't mesh so well.
    For example:

On one hand this is a very dark contrast to the PW games, but then again I guess Hivebent itself was a dark contrast to how Homestuck began or even the Ace Attorney games themselves. With the exception of Tavros who will be wearing green, everyone will be wearing black. The contrast seems so dark to me, but... that's how Alternia is supposed to be I guess? What do you think?

Edit: Oh, and I almost forgot. My first thought for the blank circle? A chalk scribbling of His Honorable Tyranny. Which runs across and over the circle into the Libra symbol. Or that can be placed closer to the space behind the judge's desk and you could put a scribbling. Although the 2-headed troll coin design would fit into the circle okay, Terezi didn't use that before she went blind, did she? This takes place pre-vengeance.
    Last edited by octocephalicDragon; 05-10-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BluddoSW View Post
    Welp, I took that other background and made it lighter.

I know you said you want some desks and things done, and they shall be, but I'll be using this wide establishing shot as a base for the colors of all those, so if there's anything you think is off let me know so I can get it now, I also lightened the outlines on it to try to make it look more like a Phoenix Wright background, just blah blah blah...

Also, I think there should be some sort of image in that circle up at the top but I just can't think of anything good...
    I kind of want to steal this for my own project now...Perhaps we could share resources?

Quote Originally Posted by Roundy210 View Post
    I kind of want to steal this for my own project now...Perhaps we could share resources?

Awww you're kidding me man, welcome to my world. Your project is the one that gets all the support. If you could point some of your sprite artists my way to help with my graphical drought then sure we can share the backgrounds.

Blue water, blue skies BluddoSW's Avatar

WOOP HERE'S ANOTHER ONE

also Roundy, i think you can go for it i made it for yours originally anyway so you know whatever

I'll see if I can knock out the rest of the court shots this weekend...

AS FAR AS DARKNESS GOES, I'll admit they're a lot darker than the PW backgrounds, but they are about as Alternian as the PW backgrounds can get.

Besides, the '90s Batman cartoon had RIDICULOUSLY DARK backgrounds and it was AWESOME so you know whatever

AS FAR AS DARKNESS GOES, I'll admit they're a lot darker than the PW backgrounds, but they are about as Alternian as the PW backgrounds can get.

Besides, the '90s Batman cartoon had RIDICULOUSLY DARK backgrounds and it was AWESOME so you know whatever
    Don't say 'whatever' Bluddo, I want to hear your creative input!

For reference, if it will help you with drawing furniture or other details, here is what the new bg looks like:

...looks like the desk needed adjusting by a pixel or three...

And this is what it looks like without Capcom's desk:

If the sprites seem a little small compared to the OG characters of the actual Ace Attorney game, I will preemptively mention that keeping them smaller is a conscious decision due to the fact that the kids and trolls are kind of small with their guardians and ancestors towering far and wide over them. So it is safe to say that they should be a little bit shorter.

Updated the opening post with more information on the art checklists. As for me, I have been working on the pseudo-investigation phase. There is nothing I want to say about it right now that can't be summed up in the second sample image.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast