MSPA Forums
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammerkind (game: fight, build, climb) I need testers for offline 2player mode!

Re: Hammerkind (homestuck game: fight, build, climb) --- Release date: SATURDAY

well. i got something to look forward to when i wake up. this should be awesome.

That is, I'm shooting for Noon EDT / 9am PDT, but in case I miss that I'll be perfectly okay with 3pm EDT / Noon PDT and call it "on time".

Either way, it'll be really late for anyone east of the USA, and a little early for the few places between the continental US and the international date line. I think that's how it works?

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

the time of day increases as you go east and decreases as you go west.

so you should be correct.

putting the "hell" in"no". Ace Rimmer's Avatar

you do realize i am going as mad as hell out of anticipation right? :P

I honestly cant wait for the release of this, platformers are awesome, and that+homestuck=God of all that is amazing.

wait WAIT

is this for windows or mac

goddamnit if im getting hyped and i dont have the right OS

Windows version is releasing today, Mac port happens shortly afterward, making sure I take care of any killer bugs first.

This would be much easier if this wasn't done in Game Maker: The relatively recent GM4Mac is pretty shit, and it'll take some time and effort to work around all of GM4Mac's shortcomings.

Sorry to all Mac users about the wait! I'm primarily a Mac user myself (for everything except Game Maker, really :/ ) so I totally feel your pain.

Okay this is going to be late by an hour or two more. I'm actually doing the tutorial thing, but I'm almost done.

I apologize in advance for how bad I am at writing lines said by Dave.

I updated the website with a bunch of cool screenshots! Go check them out!

I also posted a download link on the main hammerkind page too. If you're interested.

Re: Hammerkind (homestuck game: fight, build, climb) --- IT'S DONE, go play!

Can't play the game, I get this error:

for object menu_main:

Error reading real.

This is really fun! I love the little details that were put in, the connection being lost and the use of the Pesterchum logs to give you tips. It all brings it together and make it feel like a true canon game - meaning it seems this is how it would be if Hussie made it.

I do have one little issue with the gamepay, or two rather. First, is that that John's traction is kind of loose and slips at times that are most inconvenient. For example, trying to run across the platforms and make a jump will send you sliding off the end and Nanna has to catch you. Not really a big deal, just something I noticed. My other thing was about the hammer and attacking. The way the game is set up (survival, combat heavy) gives the impression that you could be able to attack rapidly, making it easier to take out the enemies that require multiple hits, but you have to wait for the hammer to go all the way down on each swing. That's not really an issue as much as a design choice and maybe it's just something I'm used to from other games but it's just something I noticed. And I hope none of this comes off as rude or mean, I just want to help out.

EDIT: That being said, I can't stop playing :P
    Last edited by dinoAutopsy; 05-14-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cucurbita View Post
    Can't play the game, I get this error:

for object menu_main:

Error reading real.
    Hmm. That would be from a bit of legacy code from an old save system I abandoned. Somehow nobody has had problems with it before, but it shouldn't be there anyway. I removed it in a ninja-update, try downloading again and see if it works now. EDIT: I was wrong about my original diagnosis of this problem. I'm looking into it
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoAutopsy View Post
    This is really fun! I love the little details that were put in, the connection being lost and the use of the Pesterchum logs to give you tips. It all brings it together and make it feel like a true canon game - meaning it seems this is how it would be if Hussie made it.

I do have one little issue with the gamepay, or two rather. First, is that that John's traction is kind of loose and slips at times that are most inconvenient. For example, trying to run across the platforms and make a jump will send you sliding off the end and Nanna has to catch you. Not really a big deal, just something I noticed. My other thing was about the hammer and attacking. The way the game is set up (survival, combat heavy) gives the impression that you could be able to attack rapidly, making it easier to take out the enemies that require multiple hits, but you have to wait for the hammer to go all the way down on each swing. That's not really an issue as much as a design choice and maybe it's just something I'm used to from other games but it's just something I noticed. And I hope none of this comes off as rude or mean, I just want to help out.

EDIT: That being said, I can't stop playing :P
    The physics of Hammerkind are not like the physics of any other fighting game. Fighting imps involves a lot of trying to position yourself in the right place relative to them, and attacking with the right /timing,/ rather than speed. There are other tactics you can pick up as you go along, and some things my beta testers found that I never did.
    Last edited by Stephen; 05-14-2011 at 05:46 PM.

You can't unmute and the imp grease makes chunks of platform vanish. You can still stand on the empty space, but it turns invisible.

@ Stephen

Ah okay. I was unsure whether or not it was a design choice or not, but the game is nice and polished either way! Nice job.

This is awesome. And I am only at Gate 2 :P.

Can you catch the crow? I can't seem to, as he just flies higher. Wil edit post when more played.
    "But he could say no more, for his face had been annihilated into a thin, bloody mist by a telephone pole."

Quote Originally Posted by Fuade View Post
    You can't unmute and the imp grease makes chunks of platform vanish. You can still stand on the empty space, but it turns invisible.
    The muting problem is something I haven't encountered until today, but I was afraid of the oil/grease/ink problem would crop up. It appears that the things I do there don't work, rarely, on some computers, and I have been unable to figure out why. As a stopgap measure, try
    http://www.host-a.net/u/Ditocoaf/Hammerkind_B.exe
    which has the oil splatters disabled.

I haven't slept in quite a while, so I need to go take a nap right now. I will be back to answer questions and address problems in a few hours!

"___________________________________________
    ERROR in
    action number 2
    of Create Event
    for object menu_main:

Error reading real."

This is making me sad, I get this message even if I've downloaded the game quite a few times already.
    Is there nothing I can do? I shall wait for the end of your nap.

putting the "hell" in"no". Ace Rimmer's Avatar

i hate you for the final boss.

the final boss is so fucking HARD.

HOPY SHIT THAT IMP IS HUGE!

And I think I broke the Barbasol...

"But he could say no more, for his face had been annihilated into a thin, bloody mist by a telephone pole."

Quote Originally Posted by Krakash View Post
    HOPY SHIT THAT IMP IS HUGE!

And I think I broke the Barbasol...

I think you press up to toggle between shaving cream and the hammer. But that might just be for the pogo hammer.
    Hey, check out my friends awesome music! (And maybe throw some money at him for his hard work by buying the album.)

Sitting in a chair with my head on my left hand.
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

My macbook is crying in a corner.

AAA! I woke up from my nap because realized I forgot to put, ANYWHERE in the tutorials, that you can change weapons if you have the shaving cream or the pogo hammer, by tapping [up]! So I'm saying this here now! Another thing for my list for the first patch.

I'll seriously be done trying to nap in like an hour, I promise.

Avatar credit to Airey youdont12know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darugia View Post
    "___________________________________________
    ERROR in
    action number 2
    of Create Event
    for object menu_main:

Error reading real."

This is making me sad, I get this message even if I've downloaded the game quite a few times already.
    Is there nothing I can do? I shall wait for the end of your nap.
    This is still a thing that happens. Windows vista.

Re: Hammerkind (homestuck game: fight, build, climb) --- IT'S READY, go play!

People getting an "error reading real": can you tell me whether the game is successfully creating the save file? There should appear a "save.hkindsave" in the same folder as hammerkind.exe itself.

Avatar credit to Airey youdont12know's Avatar

Re: Hammerkind (homestuck game: fight, build, climb) --- IT'S READY, go play!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    People getting an "error reading real": can you tell me whether the game is successfully creating the save file? There should appear a "save.hkindsave" in the same folder as hammerkind.exe itself.
    There is. It gets deleted when I click exit program.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast