MSPA Forums

Thread: [PARTY GAME] The Shipping Game (Available for Android) UPDATED: 5/29/11

I walk becase I was born Armada's Avatar

[PARTY GAME] The Shipping Game (Available for Android) UPDATED: 5/29/11

ABOUT

This game was inspired by a Japanese game know as the King's Game (or Ousama). Basically the rules work a bit like this:

So with the two weeks I had between Tekkoshocon and the Pittsburghstuck meetup, I came up with a "shipping" styled version of this with a Homestuck theme. "Cards" were used instead of just "free" commands so that there would four distinct quardants, but this could easily be played the original way.

HOW TO PLAY

To start, get a random way to select everyone's number and the Shipper (basically the king from the original game with a different name. They give the orders). Use cards, draw straws, use a random number generator. Anything will work pretty much. Just make sure you have something directly designated for the shipper (it could be the highest number or the letter S).

Randomly assign a number to everyone (draw you straws or cards). DON'T TELL ANYONE WHAT YOU GOT UNLESS YOU ARE THE SHIPPER.

The shipper draws a card from the pile. In the Android app, press the menu button and press new card. If you're using your own physical cards, just pick one off the top. If you feel like freestyling, go ahead and make something up. The shipper replaces X, Y, and Z on the card with numbers. The numbers then do whatever that card said. (The shipper places the card on the bottom of the pile if you are playing with physical cards.)

Gather up you cards or straws or whatever from the players. Randomize again and repeat the whole process. Now you're cooking with gas!

EXAMPLE ROUND

8 players are playing. They have 8 playing cards, 1 through 7 and a king card, to assign numbers. The cards are shuffled and everyone picks one. Nepeta is the shipper. Nepeta draws a new card that reads: "X and Y have a hate filled rap-off". She chooses numbers 1 and 5. John and Karkat are those numbers, and they proceed to have the shittiest rap-off in the history of love raps. Everyone has a good laugh!

SCREENSHOTS

Here's how it looks on the homescreen.

Example cards to show off the spiffy new UI.

DOWNLOADS

The original 104 cards.
    Use these to make physical cards. You can add anything you want.

PC application for all platforms coming soon! (Don't know how it could be useful but it was requested)

The Android app. Directions on installing (until I get this on the Android Market) are below.

FOR NON-AT&T USERS:

FOR AT&T USERS (EASY WAY):
    Use Sideload Wonder Machine. THIS IS WINDOWS ONLY! For those who use Linux or Mac OS X, see below.

FOR AT&T USERS (ALTERNATE WAY):
    Make sure you are pretty confident about using a terminal when doing this. This works for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.

Please submit any bugs here.
    Last edited by Armada; 05-29-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Re: [PARTY GAME] The Shipping Game (Available for Android)

Looks like meetups have a favorite activity now.
    Toast lands buttered side down.
    Cats land on their feet.

Provided you've got string, toast, and a cat, I've got an idea that just might challenge God.

Wiggler

Hahahahahahaha I just noticed your shipping game example. All the hearts to you for that. :33 And also for programming this!

Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

Pretty simple app, so why does it need to access my SD card and phone identity again?

And why does it stay resident when I close it??

Quote Originally Posted by Miff View Post
    Pretty simple app, so why does it need to access my SD card and phone identity again?

And why does it stay resident when I close it??
    Modify SD and Phone Identity is pretty much a permission every app has. Go check the Android market. If that was implying this is malicious code. I have better things to do that mess up phones.

And by "resident" do you mean the state is preserved? It's so you don't have to restart the game if you accidentally mash the home button.

putting the "hell" in"no". Ace Rimmer's Avatar

How do you operate the android version?

I have it installed but now what?

I put the directions in the first post. Did you read it?

Just gave the app a HUGE graphical makeover. Updated APK is in the OP. The PC version will be coming soon.

Re: [PARTY GAME] The Shipping Game (Available for Android) UPDATED: 5/29/11

Oh my god this is amazing. New favorite activity much?

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

I am now bringing this to school. It will be played at lunch. In the library. Jegus, we are such geeks!

EDIT: I just used up every last note card of mine for the making of those cards. I now will have problems next semester.....
    Last edited by AriNemea; 10-19-2011 at 05:58 PM.
    A DoUbLe mEtApHoR AlL ThE WaY AcRoSs sKaIa
    I am most certainly female

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Note to self: Try to find more IRL Homestucks so you can play the crap outta this game!

i downloaded this onto my phone fine, and it runs, but when i click "new card" it closes the program ):

any idea why?

Depends, what's your phone model and Android version. Works fine for me from Froyo to Ice Cream Sandwich on 3 devices.

This looks like fun! Sadly I don't have an Android or anything. -le sigh-

I'm hoping that there may be a computer version someday. Is that far-fetched of me? For now though, I'm going to bug the shit out of my roommate to get it on his Android. :3
    AS A WARNING!: My internet fluctuates. I may disappear randomly.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

So, err, ACSWM isn't working? It said something wasn't set up the first time I tried to install TSG and it set it up, but I couldn't find the game. Every time after that, ACSWM said it couldn't find my phone!
    hello friends, i still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki.Metal View Post
    This looks like fun! Sadly I don't have an Android or anything. -le sigh-

I'm hoping that there may be a computer version someday. Is that far-fetched of me? For now though, I'm going to bug the shit out of my roommate to get it on his Android. :3
    I'll work on it. Its not a very difficult port at all. Perhaps I can even finish one today if I'm not a lazy piece of shit.

So, err, ACSWM isn't working? It said something wasn't set up the first time I tried to install TSG and it set it up, but I couldn't find the game. Every time after that, ACSWM said it couldn't find my phone!
    Try the ACSWM thread. I haven't used it ever in depth and never have those options. Another option is Android Injector Also, double check that you can install from unknown sources. You may not need the sideloader.

Mage of Technology quadrangledReality's Avatar

could you possibly do one for iOS.

i know its lame that the money-grubbing apple requires a $100 fee thingy for putting things up on the app store like huge bitches, but i still have an iPhone and am probably not going to get an android untill im 18

i totally downloaded this the second i saw the word "android" eff yeah! its so cool!

incidentally i used my acer tablet with android OS to download it and it works fine. all i had to do was find this thread on my browser app, click the link and it downloaded. clicking the "finished downloading" icon at the bottom automatically brought up the installation menu and once i clicked install it was done. THAT QUICKLY! :3

[first post woooooo]

*messes around with it*
    Your pesterchum handle is audaciousExcursionist and you type boldly because everything you have to say is important