MSPA Forums
Page 46 of 100 FirstFirst ... 36434445464748495696 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 2495

Thread: MSPA Cosplay 3: Would you like some stabs with that?

Re: MSPA Cosplay 3: Would you like some stabs with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Toastheaven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    I'll probably end up trying hot glue. Does anyone know if it's very noticeable that way? (I won't be wearing a wig.)
    What I did for mine was hotglue them to the top of the headband, then took some black fabric I had laying around and lined the bottom of them with it around the band, so I wouldn't get the bright orange bottoms peeking out over the band. As a bonus, it helps keep the horns steady on the plastic!
    [EDIT]: Picture for you visual-types. Please do ignore the junk pile >_>
    shitty junk piles

its ok, i have shitty wire piles that i feel the need to bring everywhere

Ok so I have a specific question for my Scorpiohammer that I think can be easily answered by anyone who's made a Zillyhoo - What do you make the big boxes out of? I have some ideas for the rest of them but I'm at a bit of a loss for something I thought would be pretty easy. My friend wants to use solid blocks of wood but omg heavy???
    I'm going to have to carry this thing around all day and big blocks of wood is just...no.

So my first cosplay's gonna be Rose for AyaCon in a month. So far... here's what I've got...

The dress was Cheapy McCheap, and the sleeves were made from cutting up an even cheaper T-shirt.
    The Thorns, on the other hand - blah, I masked off the stripes and spray-painted them, and the paint bled underneath. I'm going to have to either sand the mess off or repaint them or - heck, I don't know. Le sigh.

Hey. c:
    I'm going to cosplay Karkat and I was wondering about the horns and wig.
    The Karkat cosplays that I've seen don't really have styled wigs and I was wondering if by doing that it would look odd and not like Karkat?
    Also, the ones that I've seen always have straight pointed horns instead of his slightly curved and nubby ones. So should I style my wig and have nubby horns? Or should I just go with how other people have been doing it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it. C:
    Last edited by Twisted; 07-27-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Finished my Karkat cosplay! Cannot wait for Otakon! I decided I'll be wearing this on Saturday. Also turns out the horns were the perfect size for my wig.

And a full body picture:

Quote Originally Posted by lemon View Post
    Ok so I have a specific question for my Scorpiohammer that I think can be easily answered by anyone who's made a Zillyhoo - What do you make the big boxes out of? I have some ideas for the rest of them but I'm at a bit of a loss for something I thought would be pretty easy. My friend wants to use solid blocks of wood but omg heavy???
    I'm going to have to carry this thing around all day and big blocks of wood is just...no.
    I made mine out of floral foam from AC Moore coated in plaster bandage. The hammer head weighs practically nothing and is very durable. What I actually did was get a large 4 inch thick block (For $12) and cut two 1ft x 1ft squares out, stacked them on top of eachother, and used a combination of hot glue and superglue to make one giant box, then coated that in plaster wrap and smoothed it out. I bought a 1inch thick block of foam ($7) for the smaller blocks, and used the leftover of the giant block to make the Z block. With superglue and plaster holding it together I'm very happy with the durability. I drilled a hole and inserted a pvc pipe right through the Z block for the handle and sealed it with superglue and epoxy. You could probably use a similar method. I used a saw and various size knives to carve/cut the foam. I took a million progress pictures I've been meaning to assemble into a Zillyhoo tutorial after Otakon is over and I'm no longer busy assembling my cosplays. I can upload those for you if you'd like. For now here's a picture of my zillyhoo if you haven't seen it. This is also not my finished cosplay, but the hammer was done at the time of the pic:
    Last edited by SunStealer; 07-27-2011 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunStealer View Post
    I made mine out of floral foam from AC Moore coated in plaster bandage. The hammer head weighs practically nothing and is very durable. What I actually did was get a large 4 inch thick block (For $12) and cut two 1ft x 1ft squares out, stacked them on top of eachother, and used a combination of hot glue and superglue to make one giant box, then coated that in plaster wrap and smoothed it out. I bought a 1inch thick block of foam ($7) for the smaller blocks, and used the leftover of the giant block to make the Z block. With superglue and plaster holding it together I'm very happy with the durability. I drilled a hole and inserted a pvc pipe right through the Z block for the handle and sealed it with superglue and epoxy. You could probably use a similar method. I used a saw and various size knives to carve/cut the foam. I took a million progress pictures I've been meaning to assemble into a Zillyhoo tutorial after Otakon is over and I'm no longer busy assembling my cosplays. I can upload those for you if you'd like. For now here's a picture of my zillyhoo if you haven't seen it. This is also not my finished cosplay, but the hammer was done at the time of the pic:
    Oh man that looks great! I think I might go with that method, floral foam sounds soooooooo much more pleasant to carry for a few hours than wood. Thank you for typing that all out for me, so helpful!!

No problem. If you'd like to see the pics of me actually cutting the foam and plastering it, I can send those via PM when I have some time to offload them from my camera. Looking foward to seeing your Scorpio hammer when it's finished! I may attempt to make one myself at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by SunStealer View Post
    No problem. If you'd like to see the pics of me actually cutting the foam and plastering it, I can send those via PM when I have some time to offload them from my camera. Looking foward to seeing your Scorpio hammer when it's finished! I may attempt to make one myself at some point.
    Oh, I'd love to see those pictures if it's not too much trouble!
    I hope you decide to make one sometime, too. It'll be cool to see what different methods people could use for it.

New to the MSPaForums so I thought I might drop my progress on my friend's Kanaya skirt. we found two matching red skirts and (the top skirt is/was pleated) Right now the top skirt is just pinned for the hem, on front and back. I've just gotta sew the hem and attach the skirts together, and pick up three buttons before San Japan (in San Antonio). That and style the wig, her shirt with insignia is on its way.

Last edited by mina-TiA; 07-27-2011 at 09:28 PM.

ALRIGHT, TUTORIAL TIME.

So I posted this on the Otakon forums for a friend before realizing everyone should probably know how to do this. SO.

When you cosplay a troll, you typically have two options for your arms: makeup, or tights. Making trolltights involves taking a pair of tights for your legs and making them into skintight gloves. While it's not overly hard or complicated, it takes a copious amount of time and most people don't have the patience to finish. HOWEVER, when done right, they look like makeup and allow you to hold, touch, or do whatever you want with your hands. Which is awesome.

The original tutorial was from a Weeping Angel cosplay and isn't exactly specific, so in my rage at not knowing what to do (and going through two pairs of tights before success), I made a "How To Make Armsocks For Dummies" tutorial. In 10 easy steps, you too can learn how to armsock!

Please read the WHOLE THING BEFORE YOU START, or you'll probably mess up.

I hope this helps people! I'll try to answer any questions and edit this post if necessary. And I'm supposed to ask to have this added to the front page or something...?
    Your name is Lexa. Your chumHandle is blackoutVisionary, and you tend to type in a rather sssslippery and sssssnaky manner.

Okay, quick question about teeth- If I wanted to use false nails as teeth, would orthodontic wax work for keeping them on?

I'm new to this forum, as in I made this account hours ago but procrastinated on doing anything productive.

But I need help. In October, I want to cosplay Feferi for NYCC/NYAF (yeah I know i have copious amount of time, but I'm also helping a friend with this stuff, probably two, so I need as much time as I can get). As of the moment, all I have for Feferi is her wig aaaand her goggles. Her shirt should be done before the beginning of August and her 2x3dent should be in progress next week.

But my main problem with her outfit (besides her jewelry, which I literally have not even considered yet) is her skirt. I'm going to a fabric store within the week and I'm thinking of grabbing the two colors I need for the skirt, wrapping it around my waist, cut that out after getting it and then find out some magic way to keep it together (which I do not have planned yet).

And my idea for it sucks balls because I'll be running around blind. Can one of you guys help me with her skirt and/or recommend a good way to make her skirt?

vomitrocious PomegranateVulture's Avatar

Lexa that's very helpful, thanks! This makes me want to try my hand at making arm socks.

Land of Grass and Seniors (Burlington, Ontario)

Quote Originally Posted by Lexa View Post
    5) Turn the tights inside-out (assuming you haven't done this already) and begin to sew. What you want is a whipstich; which is basically a circle motion. Thread your needle and knot it, and pull it straight through the fabric; if you start on the pinkie (which is going to be a folded over piece), run the needle through the corner and then once it's pulled through, circle around and put the needle through the bottom and come out the top. Rinse and repeat. You'll have one line from your pinky to pointer, and then another to sew up your thumb. These stitches need to be AS SMALL AS YOU CAN STAND THEM, while still keeping the tights together. I recommend a small needle so as to make less holes in your tights, especially if they're thin. The smaller your stitches, the less apparent they'll be and the better the tights will look. Make sure only to sew on the inside of the fingers, so the stitches won't appear in pictures.

WARNING: THIS STEP TAKES THE BULK OF THE TIME FOR TIGHT-MAKING. THIS STEP ALONE, BETWEEN THE TWO HANDS, HAS TAKEN 8-10 HOURS.
    Just as an added DON'T DO THIS, don't make my mistake of making each stitch a little knot. While it may make the seam pretty airtight... it also makes too much of a seam on the inside and makes the fingers look, well... like you're wearing bad gloves. Bad me, for not knowing exactly what a whipstitch is.
    Your chumhandle is joystickMusician and when SOmething SOunds melodic, it's FAir game to bring attenTIon to it!

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Lexa..I- you..have you read my mind?? I was just coming here to ask if it was stupid to wear tights on your arms because when it comes to being careful with make up I have the capacity of a 9-year-old.

Just one question on point 4); when you cut for the thumb. Where/How exactly should I cut for the shape to be the best? My reading comprehencion failed there.
    (The red is where you cut. (I hope I got it right.))

Thank you forever, I'll get stitching!
    MSPA ♣House IRC - MAPLEHOOF'S ADVENTURE - Holly's Valentines Requests [CLOSED] - Avatars - Emoticons - tumblr

I am really big into cosplaying Jade Harley for some reason XD

Right now I am working on 50's Stuck Jade, and finishing up my Electric Squiddles Jacket and my God Tier Jade design by Omni-Wings (need to make the pants and boot covers)

here are some pictures x33

I am also working on a God Tier Vriska cosplay for my little sister x3
    then a Mindfang/Ancestor Vriska cosplay for her XD

Pschoooo!
    Okay, I just joined the forums like, yesterday or something, and I haven't finished reading through this topic yet, but it's 4 am and I have to get up in six hours, so I'm cheating and commenting before I've read anything!
    I'm going to a con in September (Kumoricon, for those of you who might be going), and my cosplays will be Dave-Karkat-Gamzee, in that order. I'm going to be the first Dave and pre-sober Gamzee (it'd be waaay too hard to act in character as sober Gamzee, man, life is beautiful and needs to be appreciated). I basically have props worked out for Karkat and Gamzee (if I have the time/money left over, Clawsickles for Karkat, using this tutorial, if not, I'll just make his regular gray ones or the colorful ones which I can never remember the name of, and for Gamzee, Faygo, pie, a horn, and hopefully juggling if I get my act together), but I'm pretty stumped on what to do for Dave!
    It's too early in the timeline for any of his badass swords or his turn tables, so those are out. Smuppets I considered but GOD THOSE THINGS ARE FUCKING CREEPY... plus I wouldn't want my family to think I was making some type of weird sex toy. I could try tackling Lil' Cal, but I don't have that much time or money left.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for props I could make/bring?? I could always buy one of those really shitty toy ninja swords, but I would feel hella cheap. I could bring the replica sword I inherited from my uncle, but it's probably too heavy for con rules. (The blade is pretty dull, although the tip is sharp.)

Also, I'm (hopefully) getting the sides of my head shaved in the morning when I go for my haircut. (Going on vacation for a week and a half and seeing a bunch of relatives next week, needed a new dramatic hair style to freak my step grandma out with.) So I can cosplay Humanstuck Tavros every day! Hahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Lexa View Post
    I hope this helps people! I'll try to answer any questions and edit this post if necessary. And I'm supposed to ask to have this added to the front page or something...?
    No man I will get it up there when I get back from otakon. it will be frolic-updates-the-op-finally time.

Speaking of otakon, i posted this on the otakon thread and then figured i should prove to the cosplay thread that i actually do some cosplay?

It is a bike helmet with paper mache over it. then we spray painted it black and i hot glued caution tape to it. i love paper mache you guys.
    we also did a WV helmet in the same style, only with fabric instead of caution tape of course, and there is a PM helmet that is 85% batting.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Is Rainbows View Post
    I may or may not have links in the OP for making katanas with cardboard and hot glue or something? look under Bro's stuff. also, there's always ironic fanon props. eg, i think a dave cosplayer once said that they were going to bring a dora the explorer backpack to con because it was ~ironic~ and held all of their crap, too.
    Last edited by frolic; 07-28-2011 at 08:00 AM.
    Actually no, I haven't seen that movie.
    Pesterchums:
    meeklyMighty (OOC)
    breezyEast
    intransigentCharter

Quote Originally Posted by PomegranateVulture View Post
    Lexa that's very helpful, thanks! This makes me want to try my hand at making arm socks.
    I'm glad! I hope this helps more people, because there's few things that drive me crazier than when troll cosplayers haven't bothered with makeup and this is a good alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Toastheaven View Post
    Just as an added DON'T DO THIS, don't make my mistake of making each stitch a little knot. While it may make the seam pretty airtight... it also makes too much of a seam on the inside and makes the fingers look, well... like you're wearing bad gloves. Bad me, for not knowing exactly what a whipstitch is.
    Lol whipstitches are your GOD. Plus they're not hard. The hardest part really is holding the tight flat while you do it because they'll start to curl on you >:[

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Lexa..I- you..have you read my mind?? I was just coming here to ask if it was stupid to wear tights on your arms because when it comes to being careful with make up I have the capacity of a 9-year-old.

Just one question on point 4); when you cut for the thumb. Where/How exactly should I cut for the shape to be the best? My reading comprehencion failed there.
    (The red is where you cut. (I hope I got it right.))

Thank you forever, I'll get stitching!
    Lol WE ARE MINDLINK BUDDIES. (I think we Maplehoof'd XD) Uhmmm I usually cut it like the shape of an apple slice? About the same size, too. Except you... don't cut all the way, because then you'd be cutting the finger off and that would suck. Don't do it in the way you cut the other fingers (with the pins and stuff) because it just typically won't work out. If you're a real measurement stickler, measure how far your thumb goes next to your pointer finger when you lay your hand down flat WITHOUT your fingers spread. Then measure the same on the glove and cut there. You want it to be a semicircle with like an inch connecting it to the glove so your thumb can actually go in there.

Did that help?
    Your name is Lexa. Your chumHandle is blackoutVisionary, and you tend to type in a rather sssslippery and sssssnaky manner.

Quote Originally Posted by frolic View Post
    I may or may not have links in the OP for making katanas with cardboard and hot glue or something? look under Bro's stuff. also, there's always ironic fanon props. eg, i think a dave cosplayer once said that they were going to bring a dora the explorer backpack to con because it was ~ironic~ and held all of their crap, too.
    One of my friends did something this, except with disney princesses. It was awesome. Check it out:

Quote Originally Posted by industrialSharpie View Post
    I'm new to this forum, as in I made this account hours ago but procrastinated on doing anything productive.

But I need help. In October, I want to cosplay Feferi for NYCC/NYAF (yeah I know i have copious amount of time, but I'm also helping a friend with this stuff, probably two, so I need as much time as I can get). As of the moment, all I have for Feferi is her wig aaaand her goggles. Her shirt should be done before the beginning of August and her 2x3dent should be in progress next week.

But my main problem with her outfit (besides her jewelry, which I literally have not even considered yet) is her skirt. I'm going to a fabric store within the week and I'm thinking of grabbing the two colors I need for the skirt, wrapping it around my waist, cut that out after getting it and then find out some magic way to keep it together (which I do not have planned yet).

And my idea for it sucks balls because I'll be running around blind. Can one of you guys help me with her skirt and/or recommend a good way to make her skirt?
    I'm putting together Feferi for next month, and I'm going at it blind as well -- got my fabric and some bright pink ribbon, going to just piece them together and fasten with snaps. There's a basic write-up in this post but I'd really like pics since I'm dumb with sewing. So if I do it alright I shall make a photo tutorial for you! And all the other clueless seadwellers out there.

Hey guys! I'm sort of putting together a cosplay of Angry Housewife Karkat from an AU on tumblr, and I'm having trouble really finding a base wig that might work. Does anyone have any suggestions, preferably under 40 dollars? c: I'd really appreciate it!

Feels great to be done everything for Otakon. How many weapons did I end up making?

All the weapons.

All of them.

Quote Originally Posted by grakkers View Post
    Hey guys! I'm sort of putting together a cosplay of Angry Housewife Karkat from an AU on tumblr, and I'm having trouble really finding a base wig that might work. Does anyone have any suggestions, preferably under 40 dollars? c: I'd really appreciate it!
    http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread...=1#post4569548

this is for you 8D

Anyway, for anyone that lives in the Vancouver area that would like to cosplay Terezi; there is a pair of those original awesome red glasses at a store on Commercial Drive, it's called Merchant of Dreams. I just bought the second last pair (to replace my old broken pair sigh). They're $20, but honestly, it'd be less expensive to buy these than buy them online because of customs/shipping/taxes and other fun stuff. 8(

More props soon! (Including dragon cane and Sollux's headset)

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalCanasian View Post
    http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread...=1#post4569548

this is for you 8D
    oh, thanks so much! 08 For some reason this didn't turn up in my search.
    I think I'll probably end up going with the Twiggy wig from Amphigory, then.