I originally posted this idea over in the MSPAFA chat thread:
We should totally do adventure team ups. Different authors, different stories, same world setting and chance of crossover.
Like the Marvel movies leading up to Avengers, the adventures should all be leading up to something big, like a silly-yet-played-straight apocalypse (giant ducks? Clowns turn on us as secretly they've all been servants of satan all along? Scientists create the ultimate cheese that then goes on a rampage?)
So here's where we start thinking up stuff. I'd like to think that adventurewise, anything goes. I don't wanna get in the way of ideas here. The only constraints would be the common world, maybe some common events occur (like an explosion downtown would be heard by several adventures in the viscinity, etc), and you'd have to perhaps draw other people's characters.
EDIT: Here's our setting we settled on!
Welcome to the city of Mespeth. A large, modern city full of all kinds of people and places, built around the mysterious remains of an abandoned older city. Magic is available to some people, but doesn't effect too much of the overall city. The setting takes place 5-10 years into the future, close enough to be mostly recogniseable, yet with the scope for some cool future-tech. The currency is Messlers, 100 pennies make 1 Messler. 100 Messlers makes one happy citizen
To the East of the city, posh town-houses are peppered with exclusive boutiques, regency buildings, and more commercial stores towards the city centre. City Hall is located here, and a large public park lies at the westen edge of East-side.
In the Centre of the city, office buildings and banks dominate the streets, but many of the buildings are of weird, ancient-yet-advanced design left behind from the abandoned older "precursor" city. Several odd contraptions are found in the back alleys and street corners, but the modern residents don't know how to use them and so generally ignore them. Landmarks in this area include the massive Schazer Tower; a "precursor" building now used by several businesses, the Forum; an old roman-ish meeting place surrounded by shallow steps and littered with pillars, and the Wizard's Tower; a local nickname for a mysterious huge impenetrable cylindrical building that also extends far below ground and has no way of getting inside.
To the West is the industrial hub of the city, with various factories and warehouses both in-use and abandoned. Mespeth River also bisects the city here, serving as a port to ship in raw materials and ferry out the finished goods. There are also various stairways and old-fashioned lifts to serve as access to the underground city.
Underground, in various sub-basements, tunnels and sewer systems, lie the slums of the poorest residents of the city. Quite close to the site of the above-ground river is the Aquifer, an underground river system. Some mining also takes place here.
Surrounding the city are various farms and farmland divided up by a few major roads, and surrounding this are mainly forests.
Adventures in Mespeth City
Politics by Gl1tch
Sleuthsayer by Jacquerel
Water VS Fire by ArsenicNog
MineQuest by AbysmalNinja
City'scape by evergreenWanderer
Powerworks by TheOneGuy
Lost Souls by HiHeiwa
Forgotten Dungeon Escapades by Aelyrin
Life Quest: Revised by Negatively Narcissistic
Mespeth 500: Race To Victory by DudeWitDak
Art of Machinomancy by Blaucat
TimeLoosened by Lazro
Evil Genius by Aussie Evil
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO JOIN IN WITH NEW ADVENTURES! JUST GIVE US A HEADS-UP HERE!
Plotpoints You Should Be Aware Of
* The current mayor of Mespeth City is John Patriot, who changed his name to this to seem more patriotic. He's rather corrupt, and hates The Truth newspaper. (As seen in "Politics")
* The Truth newspaper is an underground paper that has just dropped the story of John Patriot's original name: Richard 'Dick' Gay. Its quite a popular newspaper. (As seen in "Politics")
* Dirk Magnum's new Wizzard Detective business is now open for...uh... business. He's got a small ad in The Truth. (As seen in Sleuthsayer)
* There have been a few mysterious power outages dotted around the industrial West of the city, but only in certain areas. (As seen in Powerworks)
* The wizzard detective Dirk Magnum has unknowingly let loose an Air Elemental in downtown Central Mespeth! Expect mayhem and strong winds in that area for a while! (as seen in Sleuthsayer)
* The big annual roadrace, the Mespeth 500 is just starting! It starts from the big desert outside the Mespeth forest, and it will eventually reach City Hall! It's heavily sponsored by John Patriot! (as seen in Race To Victory)
* Unknown to the citizens of Mespeth City, the Wizard's Tower is influencing toys all over the city, slowly bringing them to life. This will eventually result in a Crossoventure-wide event called Toypocalypse, but that won't happen for a while.
MAP HOPEFULLY COMING SOON
Just copy-paste the following code into your signature, removing any spaces:
Please note: the image is too tall, so you'll need to put it in a spoiler to avoid the large-signature-ban