MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Group Project]Community-Donated Sprites and Bases

The Big Island of Hawaii (Aka Hawaii in Hawaii.)
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

[Group Project]Community-Donated Sprites and Bases

IF ANYONE HAS AN IDEA FOR A BETTER TITLE, PLEASE TELL ME.

So, the idea behind this project, in short, is to create a giant Homestuck Character base sheet full of parts. Basically, an extensive base sheet for those of us (like me) who are not very talented in the field of spriting.

Here's some general information about the thread:
    This post will have a generally new version of the base sheet on it at all times. I'll try to update several times a day.

This post should serve as quick access to a relatively new version for people who don't want to go over to the last page and find the latest version and just want to get it quick.

Now, here's the rules:
    ONE: Try to stay on topic of the base sheet. If you're going to talk here, please have the subject remain about the sheet.
    TWO: If you'er going to edit the base sheet, please get the latest version off the last page of the topic as I cannot instantaneously update this post whenever there's a new post.
    THREE (OPTIONAL-ISH): A changelog would be handy, not really necessary though. If you feel like telling people what you added, you can go ahead.

And here's the current version of the sheet:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Custombase4.png
    (Click it, sadly the image is much too big to appear un-stretched.)
    Last edited by Insani; 07-05-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Re: Homestuck Sprite Base (Community project?)

first thing that needs to happen is the removal of all custom sprite elements

did you even bother to ask the owner of the sheet if you could do this by the way? compiling those wasn't exactly something they did in a few minutes

you know what a better idea would be? starting from scratch since you're taking credit for this

if you want to operate a thoroughly-used resource thread you'll need to actually put some work into it, rather than just hijacking a public document.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hussie, on SBURB titles
    They can only have one syllable. Any that has more than one syllable is automatically not good.

ass to ass tonightsEntertainment's Avatar

i'm sort of with fishman here, i don't exactly see what the purpose of this is. do you want people to make sprites for people to cut and paste onto their new trolls?

because the canon stuff works just fine for that and conveys the exact same lazy message

a kind of annoying dude really Gunge's Avatar

He does have a point. The cookies on my computer are screwed, so I certainly wouldn't have the patience to make it. Whoever made it is dedicated to a large extent.
    Also I don't think it's likely that we'll have something new at all times. An idea would be specifically requesting things, like a particular hairdo or whatever.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    first thing that needs to happen is the removal of all custom sprite elements

did you even bother to ask the owner of the sheet if you could do this by the way? compiling those wasn't exactly something they did in a few minutes

you know what a better idea would be? starting from scratch since you're taking credit for this

if you want to operate a thoroughly-used resource thread you'll need to actually put some work into it, rather than just hijacking a public document.
    Crap, it completely slipped my mind to contact the author. Who is the author, though?

And where did I say I was taking credit for this? I just wanted to get a thread going as I figured this might solve one of the largest problems I had during creating fantrolls: Being incapable of making custom graphics.

I suppose we could work with a blank sheet, if I ever do get permission it'd be a simple job of copy pasting and expanding the sheet again.

Alright, updated the first post with the blank sheet (+ My contributions.)

@tonightsEntertainment

Maybe so, but I figure this might help out those who are not skilled in MSPaint-Fu.

those people can use the existing sprites, or actually take the time to learn a sophisticated image editing program, or do like gunge said and make requests of the people who aren't so incompetent and lazy.

make requests outside of a dedicated thread, that is

Post deleted because I now see that I was quite an asshole lol sorry

still don't approve of the project but w/e not like I'll make any damn difference here

I just feel like this project endorses laziness a bit, and makes people give up on trying to learn how to sprite much easier (which really isn't all that difficult).

I would actually suggest making this a sprite-request thread instead of a bodypart donation. You are not a good artist? k, ask one of the art gods we have in this forum, I am p. sure most of them would be happy to help

sorry, but I'll always look a bit down on copypasted-bodypart sprites (sprites! not the trolls itselves. troll quality is completely different from art quality)
    Last edited by Chasewithlasers; 07-04-2011 at 05:39 PM.
    tumblr

trolls

That's a good point. Having every new troll with custom hair's hair, from then on being public use, is probably a little sad.
    I think the people taking requests for very specific things is a better idea, as in opposed to 'ok now edit this sprite and make it good' thing we seem to be doing now.

But still, guys, can we stop being so angry? He agrees with contacting the original creator of the sheet, and that's the main actual ACCEPTABLY CONTROVERSIAL ISSUE HERE. If you don't like the idea, you can calmly say so without freaking out. I think he got the picture the first fifty gajillion times. (lol 3 times)

I think Chase had a point, though he was kind of aggressive while exposing it.
    no

Quote Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
    But still, guys, can we stop being so angry? He agrees with contacting the original creator of the sheet, and that's the main actual ACCEPTABLY CONTROVERSIAL ISSUE HERE. If you don't like the idea, you can calmly say so without freaking out. I think he got the picture the first fifty gajillion times. (lol 3 times)
    i disagree. i think that if this idea were to get any further than where it is now, it'd be a detriment on the community.

i think the state of the board is a perfectly acceptable acceptably controversial issue.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Whatever, it appears that nearly noone is actually interested in this so whatever.

This'll probably be dead by monday tbh.

Yeah, I agree on that. I'm against the idea of everyone using the same things, like the troll-makers out there... Blah If the idea was a little smaller-scaled it might be pretty harmless, though.

I'm just trying to be a neutral here (derp), I don't like gunning down ideas, and I don't like people being overly dramatic about things. But yeah, I think it'd be horrible and sad if this idea became the way of -everyone's- sprite-making. :L

It was an interesting idea, seriously don't let this get you all down and stuff. No one went for my talksprite-chat program thread either.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

<FUCK, ACCIDENTALLY REPOSTED MY PREVIOUS POST.
    OKAY I AM GOING TO WRITE SOMETHING REAL DOWN THERE
    YOU NEVER SAW THIS>

Well, yeah. I didn't realize that this may actually cause more problems than it'd solve.

On the bright side there would be lots of hair styles so mixing them would ultimately help make things a little more original, but that hardly makes up for it.
    Last edited by Insani; 06-26-2011 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insani View Post
    <
    On the bright side there would be lots of hair styles so mixing them would ultimately help make things a little more original, but that hardly makes up for it.
    If the people that used it were actually unlazy enough to mix them.
    If they really wanted to put effort in it they would use the actual base and mix stuff
    just sayian
    no

ugh
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

whatever. i like the idea and i'd be happy to draw up a bunch of custom aspects for people to use.

maybe not adding onto the pre-existing sprite sheet, but eh.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Reign View Post
    whatever. i like the idea and i'd be happy to draw up a bunch of custom aspects for people to use.

maybe not adding onto the pre-existing sprite sheet, but eh.

Yeah, I suppose this'll work, plus we'll be able to tell which was from the base sheet and what's new.

Edit: Updated the sheet with another fantroll (my second fantroll sprite in queue for a profile)'s hair.

Last edited by Insani; 06-26-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Pronouns
    thon

shouldn't you actually..like, make stuff, instead of just combining bases/recoloring them...? i mean i think people could do that thems-...nevermind. *~sigh~*

here have some shitty horns i guess

Under a rock - AKA the roleplaying subforum.

I actually think this is a pretty good and interesting idea, I'll be happy to contribute some parts when I get home from my vacation - mostly hair and horns.
    I am a terrible influence.

Seconded, I like this. I'll see if theres anything worth digging up for the sheet tomorrow!
    Fantrolls, RPs and other miscellanea:

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Jervous View Post
    shouldn't you actually..like, make stuff, instead of just combining bases/recoloring them...? i mean i think people could do that thems-...nevermind. *~sigh~*

here have some shitty horns i guess
    Do you have any left horns for them?

If not, I'll just add those.

Stone Temple Guardian Admin Zuki's Avatar

First of all: y'all do have a resident mod now, and I do appreciate it when forum members speak with respect and civility towards eachother. No need to be caustic or aggressive when you're discussing the merit of an idea.

At first, I was a little confused as to the purpose of this thread. There's already a sheet full of sprite assests used in canon, alongside some simple custom edits or adjustments to said assets. So what Insaniti, then, is proposing is the creation of some sort of public resource of sprite parts that artists have donated, so that people who are not inclined to take the time to learn spriting, are unsatisfied with their spriting attempts, or would not like to ask for a sprite, could use those instead?

Hmmm. This is basically an okay idea, I think, with some caveats?

• People have a right not to ask for their art to be distributed or borrowed!
    • Artists have a right not to donate to the sheet or feel pressured to add to the sheet! Sometimes custom work is a gift, a commission, etc.
    • Shaming people who create a fantroll sprite assembled together out of parts, be they custom or canon, is not cool!

So I'm going to make a suggestion, here:

If this is going to become a thread for creating and sharing sprite parts, why not also make it a thread for posting sprites/sprite parts, and getting feedback and constructive criticism on them?

It seems to me that 'How to Sprite a Character in the Homestuck style' isn't a topic discussed in detail, in any single location in the original characters roleplaying forum.

I'm saying: let's co-opt this thread for that purpose. More fans and roleplayers learning how to sprite (I can't sprite for shit, and I don't want to impose by asking)? The better!
    Zuki says:
    "I'll find something to put here later!"

Re: [Group Project]Community-Donated Sprites and Bases

i just feel that putting a sheet out there with any more than the original parts appearing in the series inhibits creativity.

it gives people an excuse not to try.

as someone who has been been doing sprite editing for easily 7+ years now (hell if i know anymore) i can say i understand the kind of person who would be more lazy than creative. i understand this mindset because i have been this kind of person before. i know for a fact a huge buffet of 'custom' resources will detract from a creator's capacity to form original design concepts. after all, i could come up with a design for the character's hair myself, or i could just pick and choose from the sprite shelf.

some people will grow out of it. others won't. i'd rather the bar be set high, but the problem is that only the truly competent will act on critique. the awful will just linger.
    Last edited by Fishman; 06-27-2011 at 12:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hussie, on SBURB titles
    They can only have one syllable. Any that has more than one syllable is automatically not good.

Under a rock - AKA the roleplaying subforum.

The thing is, with all due respect Fishman, not all people have a talent for spriting, or even art in general - and as Zuki pointed out, a lot of people are embarrassed to ask or don't want to impose, and depriving those people of the chance to make an awesome sprite just plain isn't fun.

I'll be the first to admit that for the most part, with the exception of most hair and horns, most of my sprites are based on the currently-circulated sheet, because I have neither the time, patience, nor stylistic ability to create a totally 100% custom sprite. Hell, some of my sprites are entirely thrown together from the sprite sheet - and yet it's not due to laziness. Anyone who cares to visit my wiki can see the massive amounts of character art I put out. [Okay. SOME of it is due to laziness, or especially right now, because I don't have access to the tools and programs I would normally use.]

The point is, not everyone doesn't learn how to sprite due to laziness. I've been spriting on and off for about as long, and MSPA style is definitely not a style I'm particularly comfortable with - I bust out gimp and my tablet for all but the most basic edits. Just like in most other communities, those who's natural abilities lie in art, especially a particular style of art, are being rather elitist and blaming those who don't have those same natural abilities in art for their lack of ability. Without naming names, I have a friend who is an extremely creative and absolutely wonderful writer who I wouldn't let within ten feet of a sprite sheet because he can't art [no offense dear] for shit. It isn't laziness on his part, it's the fact he does not have the talent or ability for it - are you saying he shouldn't have the resources to create visual references for his characters when canon resources don't match up to what he wants and needs?

MSPA has a very heavy leaning towards the visually-artistic in it's fanbase, but that does not mean that every single fan is going to have the ability or resources to create adequate representations of their characters. In many cases, yeah, it's laziness - but in just as many, it's a genuine lack of ability, and attitudes that those people are lazy doesn't really help the case of "those people should just ask people who aren't incompetent to do it for them," due to revealing a very prejudiced and frankly unflattering attitude.

That wasn't intended as caustic by the by, and my apologies if I've offended anyone - but the attitude I'm seeing from a lot of people here doesn't really help the case said people are trying to make. Community resources are good for everyone, and you can't really do anything about the lazy people without negatively affecting the genuinely unable people within the community - so focus on those you can help, rather than trying to take things away from everybody.

EDIT:

On the subject of criticism, I've actually seen some not-so-good spriters improve quite a bit due to well-delivered criticism, so this is another area where things are being over-generalized. :3c
    Last edited by Tluthal; 06-27-2011 at 04:05 AM.
    I am a terrible influence.

Pronouns
    thon

Quote Originally Posted by Insani View Post

Do you have any left horns for them?

If not, I'll just add those.
    oh yeah all you need to do is just flip the horn. you can add singular horns and they can mix and match and flip and stuff!! eee so much fun oh who am i kidding might as well do that for them too go right ahead.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Right, here's the updated sheet.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Custombase3.png

Bah, those would only really look good on the left but w/e

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast