MSPA Forums
Page 78 of 99 FirstFirst ... 28687576777879808188 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2466

Thread: fantroll crit thread #1. THERE IS A NEW THREAD, PLEASE DON'T POST IN HERE ANY MORE.

The upside-down guy BewareOfNerd's Avatar
    Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

Re: FANTROLL/HUMAN/BLOODSWAP/FANALIEN CRITIQUE THREAD: how is grubby formed

Someone born without horns would probably wear fake ones. Horns technically don't serve any purpose, but they make a troll look normal, and you know how trollkind as a whole feels about individuals who aren't normal.

Quote Originally Posted by antiMortality View Post
    Also, since mutations can happen I personally think this troll is okay..
    You're right, they do happen, and there's nothing inherently wrong with being a mutant... But at the same time I like to be especially critical of mutant trolls just because mutations tend to be misused.

Well, the anonblood thing is, mostly, because anonbloods are treated, by default, like lowbloods, and lowbloods would probably have an easier time hiding from the drones due to being considered less valuable, but I may be having the wrong idea. I am definitely set on giving him horns, but I'm having a hard time thinking of what shape to give them.

The albanism, as a character, affects him through his extreme paranoia. One of the things that makes him so paranoid, of course, would be the prospect of any of his makeup smudging off, or not having enough oil in his hair, and exposing himself inadvertently. I should also probably make it more clear that, even though he knows he's a highblood, he doesn't feel any bit superior, due to his mutation.

The pupils do fill with blood as they age, but it would be abnormal to see them fully blooded in a six sweep/thirteen year old troll.
    Last edited by EnigmaticD; 11-15-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Nobody is supposed to have an easy time hiding from the drones, or else there would be a lot more adult lowblood rebels on alternia. Besides, I think most culling is done by other trolls, and culling done by drones probably takes place after hatching or before joining the fleet, where they'd be supervised. He would probably be alright until he reached adulthood if he didn't let on to his fellow trolls that he was a mutant beforehand.
    CC: ∑ ^ owo it was a hyperbole you fuck

I am aware of that. By "easier time," I mean in relative terms, though when it comes to evading the drones, it's more like the difference between taking no water and having a solitary canteen when taking a trip into a large desert.

The point of the albinism is mainly to give him a reason to be paranoid. In troll culture, looking and acting in an unusual way is pretty much grounds for culling, and as an albino, he would definitely look very, very different, giving him a long, dwelling fear of being culled for it. I'm basically trying to give a mutation that doesn't make the character special, but instead holds them back considerably.
    Last edited by EnigmaticD; 11-15-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Um, hello. I'm kind of new to this whole "fantroll" malarkey, and I'd like to know if I'm doing it right. Did I do some silly mistakes that everyone should know how to avoid? Advanced mistakes? Do I need to draw a sprite, or will a nonstandardised image serve the same purpose? Am I breaking too many unwritten rules by making a troll who isn't a child and doesn't use trollian? Should I make the infodump more detailed? More concise? By the way, I have a larger version of that first image there if anyone cares. I scaled it down because I was worried that it might have stretched the forums for people with small screens.

>Enter name

You are LADY MARISA SUNBLOOM, Margravine of Dantooine, Archbishop of Velvetgrass Point, Knight-Errant of the Most Distinguished Order of the Alternian Empire, and captain of Her Imperial Condescension's Ship FINAL SPARK. You are 286 Alternian solar sweeps old, and only have one of your original limbs left.

When you were young, you were chosen as a caretaker for the GREAT GL'BGOLYB, a position you did not relish. The previous HEIR TO THE IMPERIAL THRONE had been culled by the EMPRESS, and a new HEIR had not been hatched yet, and the GREAT GL'BGOLYB wasn't going to feed itself. It certainly could have, but the Empire does not believe it prudent to inconvenience the EMISSARY TO THE HORRORTERRORS, a policy that you generally agree with. However, you do not think you were the best possible candidate. You have a HIGH PSYCHIC SENSITIVITY for one of your caste, which rendered you vulnerable to your GUARDIAN'S BLOODELDRITCH WHISPERS. You remember nothing of your life until you were seven sweeps old or so, which was when you learnt to SHIELD YOUR MIND. Although it damaged considerable parts of your psyche, the rigorous mental training you were forced by your GUARDIAN to endure left you with some VERY USEFUL PSYCHIC POWERS and surprisingly few LONG-TERM MENTAL PROBLEMS. You are not a very powerful psychic, but have overcome this by accumulating a considerable amount of SKILL. You have no idea who your first lusus was, but from context clues, you would guess that he or she was devoured.

In your adolescence, you felt driven to be the BEST TROLL, a calling no doubt intensified by the necessity of providing corpses for your GUARDIAN. You waged several successful campaigns of POLITICS, ROLE-PLAYING and SPORTS before realising you didn't really want to. When the new HEIR emerged from the TRIAL CAVERNS, you left Alternia to study the lowly field of COMBAT MEDICINE. You were the only highblood in your class, the only sea dweller in the entire ACADEMY, and one of the first to graduate and join the Imperial Trollfleet.

You served the Empire as a MEDICUTTER, first on the battlefield and then aboard a starship. You proved to be very competent in your chosen field, and SURVIVED numerous battles. You slowly rose through the ranks, came to conflict with other nobles, SURVIVED their assassination attempts and SEIZED THEIR TITLES from their cold, dead hands, thus securing YOUR PLACE AMONG THE NOBILITY. After more than half a century of distinguished service, you were granted a SHIPMASTER'S LICENSE and made a captain. You rather like the SPARK, even though you have to admit that the gigantic MAIN CANNON, almost twice as long as the rest of the ship, KIND OF LOOKS LIKE A PENIS.

You have had several CLOSE CALLS over the course of your military career. Once you actually died, and spent a very intense ninety seconds as a GHOST before you managed to restart your vascular pump with your psychic powers. Your MEDICAL EXPERTISE has been a boon when dealing with your various INJURIES, but the aftermath has left you somewhat DISFIGURED. Your Kismesis CUT YOUR LEGS OFF and left you to die in a collapsing alien temple. You are eternally grateful to her for that, for if you hadn't been forced to study ROBOTICS, you would have been in trouble when you LOST YOUR ARM in battle eight sweeps later. The same incident also cost you your EYE, which you managed to replace with a ROBOT EYE just in time to lose your OTHER EYE in a small laboratory explosion. Your CLONING PROJECT has since advanced to the point where you could probably replace your EYES, but you have also come into possession of a VISOR that grants you better vision than your EYES ever did, so you don't really SEE any reason to.

You have always been enamoured with MEDICINE and BIOLOGY, and they are still what you are most INTERESTED in, but you have also found it necessary to dabble in ROBOTICS, PSYCHOLOGY, THREE DIMENSIONAL NAVAL TACTICS and DROPSHIP DIPLOMACY. You also study PSIONICS, even though the entire field is generally considered to be A LOWBLOOD THING, and thus insignificant. You do not mind. nobility is generally expected to be fairly ECCENTRIC, anyway, so your activities seldom manage to raise any eyebrows. You generally like to KNOW HOW THINGS WORK, and enjoy taking apart ANIMALS, PEOPLE and occasionally ARTIFACTS that pique your interest. You have CONSIDERABLE CONTROL over your own emotions, and very rarely experience strong feelings or urges. Trolls around you find you DISPASSIONATE about most things.

Your exact blood colour is recorded as "820071", placing you among HIGH NOBILITY. Your symbol is U+2126, OHM SIGN, not to be confused with the identical U+03A9, UPPERCASE TROLL GREEK CHARACTER OMEGA. Your STRIFE PORTFOLIO houses 2XBLADEKIND and FISTKIND, and you have allocated a formidable number of PROFICIENCY BEETLES in both. You have unlocked the "Advanced Martial Arts" perk, opening up further strife options. Your personal favourite is combining DISARM with CRIPPLING STRIKE, leaving your opponent with a broken arm and you holding their strife deck. You also have enough SKILL CATERPILLARS in MEDICINE to be able to weaponise any medical tools, such as scalpels, syringes or bone saws, but you don't use that often.

You used to have some STRANGE and HARD TO READ typing quirks, but as you currently serve in a VERY PRESTIGIOUS POSITION aboard AN IMPORTANT WARSHIP, which is undoubtedly INCREDIBLY SERIOUS BUSINESS, you always do your best to use PROPER SPELLING AND GRAMMAR in your written communiques. For the same reason, the closest thing you have for a TROLLTAG these days is "marisa_sunbloom@milnet.DAEDALUS-ROUTING-HUB:alt.laughsassin-command.mil/raioballo/comms:17D0.F33A.0973.B188.5097.1111.0000.01F6/37058132". You still speak with a slight SEADWWELLER ACCENT, and have picked up some IMPERIAL MARINE LINGO over the years. Your crew thinks you look and sound like a GAMBLIGANT, which you suppose is a FAIRLY COMMON ARCHETYPE for Trollfleet captains.

>Examine Acquaintance Matrix

LIEUTENANT COMMANDER AMYCUS VOREHEEL is your Kismesis, Matesprit and Chief of Security. You used to have a PRETTY BAD VENGEANCE going on, but you don't really hate her that much anymore. You are still friendly rivals, you guess, but often more "friendly" than "rivals". Your relationship is admittedly A BIT MESSED UP, but it PRETTY MUCH WORKS. You find her CREEPY CLOWN THING kind of JUVENILE, but she has shown to be very good at her job of TERRIFYING YOUR UNDERLINGS INTO SUBMISSION, as well as SURPRISINGLY TRUSTWORTHY.

COMMODORE LOTHAR BONECLAW or HIS EXCELLENCY THE DUKE OF RAIOBALLO SECTOR, as he likes to be called, is your immediate superior. You think he is a WEIRDO, a view shared by most trolls you know, although nobody would admit it to his face. Instead of using chairs, he has his crew SUSPEND THEMSELVES FROM HOOKED WIRES HANGING FROM THE CEILING. He CUT OFF HIS OWN EYELIDS to look more FEARSOME. He has decorated his entire ship with BONES, PRESERVED REMAINS and STILL-LIVING TROLLS TURNED INTO FURNITURE AND ARCHITECTURE. You're not sure whether he is REALLY INTO ALL THAT STUFF, or merely likes being CONTRARY and pushing the limits of what can be passed off as AN AMUSING HIGHBLOOD QUIRK. Regardless of his ECCENTRICITIES, you consider him to be highly competent, and don't have any reason to double-cross him at the moment. He thinks the same about you. You suppose this makes you FRIENDS. He often has you help him with his NECROMANCY.

HELMSMAN AGATHA DAWNSEER is your Moirail. Most of your crew is KIND OF WEIRDED OUT by you consorting with a LOWBLOOD who is ONE THIRTIETH YOUR AGE, but most of them have at least seen DUKE BONECLAW, and know how much creepier things could be. She gives you various OBSCURE PROPHECIES and CRYPTIC HINTS about the FUTURE, and tutors you in the PSIONIC ARTS. In return, you try to make the task of MOVING A SPACESHIP WITH HER MIND less dreadful for her. It is working very well for both of you.

Scourge of Umbrage Teslamagnetic Integration's Avatar

I love your art it's so clive barker-ish

Normally ancestors have 8 letters per name, like Marquis Mindfang. Though it's up to you whether you roll with that or not.
    [spoiler]
    OCs:

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Yeah, I don't think the naming patterns should be binding. Humans have either 4/6 or 4/7, troll kids have 6/6, and troll ancestors have 8/8, except for Mindfang, whose first name is actually "Spinneret" with nine characters. There's plenty of precedent for just making up a new pattern, and I think 6/8 looks nice.

Also thank you.

The upside-down guy BewareOfNerd's Avatar
    Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

Sweet mother that is a lot of text.

Troll titles, however, seem to mostly come in eights. The Helmsman, the Handmaiden, the Condesce, the Signless. Though, since there are exceptions (the Grand Highblood, the Expatriate being ten letters but spelled Expatri8, the Psionic using the greek letter Ψ and double Is), I'm guessing that, with the exception of troll children, naming/title scheme isn't too regimented among trolls.
    Last edited by EnigmaticD; 11-15-2011 at 05:04 PM.

==> Be the hopeful blueblood

There. Now you are.

Your name is Anguis Vercun and you're 6 sweeps old. And you love SNAKES. No, really, SNAKES OF ALL KINDS. In fact, your lusus is even a snake. She has taken care of you in the kindest way possible, and even, in a way, had given you your WHIP. Viper. The pronged blades at the end making it more snakelike, with a deadly "bite". You rarely regard the HEMOSTRUCTURE, associating yourself with LOWBLOOD trolls as well as HIGHBLOODS. You tend to leave POLITICS alone, and leave it to the other, MORE INCLINED trolls. You enjoy GIVING ORDERS almost as much as you enjoy TAKING THEM. You often dream of rising to be the GRAND HIGHBLOOD, dispite only being a BLUEBLOOD. Your respiteblock is filled with tanks of SLITHERING REPTILES, all of which you have caught. You seem to have trouble making FRIENDS, seeing as you've grown up isolated in a dense forest. You have a bit of a VIOLENT and BLOODTHIRSTY side, but you seem to be reserved about that. At least, until you find a good FIGHT OPPERTUNITY. Your other interests include DRINKING, WANDERING, SOCIALIZING and SINGING, and you're not too GOOD AT IT, but not TERRIBLE EITHER.. Dispite your MURDEROUS episodes you remain hopeful that one day TROLLS OF ALL BLOOD COLOR can hang together without any controversy. Your fetch modus is Song Kind. If you were to play Sgrub, your title would be Heir of Fire and you'd be in the Land of Grass and Dragons. Your trolltag is tenaciousReptillian and you start off quiet But GRadually GET LOUDER.

how's this? I tried to change the picture, but...
    Last edited by Dragoneye47; 11-15-2011 at 09:25 PM.

This is very sparse on detail. Other than loving snakes and keeping them as pets, there's nothing really involved. Does he think being a blueblood makes him better than others? Does he have a lot of friends? Is he active in political intrigue, seeing as how he's a noble and all? Is his lusus kind-hearted, cruel, demanding him to feed it trolls everyday, what?

Also, you should probably have a separate picture for his profile, since the one in your avatar is kind of small.

No relation to Jimmy Neutron Renegade Electron's Avatar

The "hissssing ssssnake" quirk is very common - I would recommend changing it.
    My Stuff:
    http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3056/cronobanner.png

thanks. I gave it another whirl. Tell me what you think

Alright, so I sort of had an idea I'd like critiquing on (and I wanted to try and get some input on the idea before making the entire profile and realizing it's ULTRA-TERRIBAD)

So, I'm joining an RP where the characters are supposed to be loosely or strictly based off of video game characters, and I was having problems finding a character that isn't flat, I like the game, and isn't terribly godmodded. I was originally thinking Kratos, but I think he might be too crazy even for troll society, and would get culled somehow, plus he's a little tough, but I might keep that one in mind.
    Rather, I was thinking of doing Subject Delta from Bioshock 2- but when thinking about making a troll to fit the theme, they all seem sort of far-fetched.

So, my troll was going to be a land-dweller who has an interest in deep-sea diving, but from here I'm sort of lost. To fit the Subject Delta thing, I was considering having him captured and forced to psychically bond with a wiggler(baby/kid troll? I forget this name a lot). But the whole captured-and-experimented-on thing seems pretty overdone, and it'd take a lot of skill to pull it off without making him seem overdone and boring. Alternatively, I could take a more loose approach and have him accidentally psychically bond with a wiggler, effectively becoming its lusus (maybe it lost its own, or something???), but I'm worried that it encounters a similar problem and doesn't fit the Subject Delta theme well enough. (Who has an information page HERE.) Any input or suggestions would be awesome, and I sure hope I posted this in the right thread. Or heck, if I should scrap the idea altogether and start anew, that'd be fine too, I just don't want to make a shitty fantroll, is all.

Thanks!

Am I Kawaii? (´・ω・`) KawaiiMelon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeIncarnate View Post
    deep-sea diving
    Yeahhhno. That's a pretty much obviously dumb hobby, considering that he would probably get culled in an instant if he was seen down there.

btw, wigglers are troll larvae/small kids depending on your definition.
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaa

Trolls don't normally have parental instincts. I mean, there's nothing wrong with breaking stereotype, but it's best to be aware of the fact that anyone who looks after kids would be seen as a total weirdo by everyone else. And probably not in the eye-brow raising way, more like a "wtf is wrong with you" way.

Quote Originally Posted by scintillatingMoniker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticD View Post
    Would my albino/thin-skinned troll be too implausible, as well?

@NextDecade: also try developing personalities for both 'halves'. Clashing personalities within one body is a great chance for drama, and drama usually translates into fun roleplay/stories.
    I wouldn't have the halves at all, it's implausible at best. Have him be like twoface or sollux or whatever, there's other ways of achieving a double theme without literally being two people.
    I just don't want to copy any stereotipical "double personality" or anything like that. I'm wanted to be more original. Two characters is'n what i wanted to do. I wanted to combine all that inside one character, and this one is a test.

Quote Originally Posted by "EnigmaticD
    @NextDecade: also try developing personalities for both 'halves'. Clashing personalities within one body is a great chance for drama, and drama usually translates into fun roleplay/stories.
    That's what i wanted to do, and now I'm working on their personalities. That's why I already moved him to the cafe, so I can test how the people will react to him, so I can have a base for their personalities.
    "Nobody's perfect. That's just the proof that you're alive." (C) Kamen Rider Skull
    Who is the twat that killed signature pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by The Next Decade View Post

I wouldn't have the halves at all, it's implausible at best. Have him be like twoface or sollux or whatever, there's other ways of achieving a double theme without literally being two people.
    I just don't want to copy any stereotipical "double personality" or anything like that. I'm wanted to be more original. Two characters is'n what i wanted to do. I wanted to combine all that inside one character, and this one is a test.
    Two souls in one body isn't really original though. You're taking the idea directly from the Kamen Rider double thing without modifying it, and it just doesn't work for trolls.

But if you're going to RP with him anyway without taking our advice, why did you post here at all?

Quote Originally Posted by The Next Decade View Post

Two souls in one body isn't really original though. You're taking the idea directly from the Kamen Rider double thing without modifying it, and it just doesn't work for trolls.

But if you're going to RP with him anyway without taking our advice, why did you post here at all?
    Well, in Kamen rider Double there is just two man who can transform into one hero. One man just falls unconsicious, and moves to the device. I'm done another thing, they are always in one body. Also, I explained why he have two body colors.

I'm took your advices, I just want to test, how another characters will react at him.
    "Nobody's perfect. That's just the proof that you're alive." (C) Kamen Rider Skull
    Who is the twat that killed signature pictures?

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Please avoid gigantic quote pyramids, everyone. No one likes those.
    Read my, and PrussianMoose's, webcomic: The Adventures of the Great Captain Maggie!

Quotes from the ancient times:

Yeahhhno. That's a pretty much obviously dumb hobby, considering that he would probably get culled in an instant if he was seen down there.

btw, wigglers are troll larvae/small kids depending on your definition.
    Honestly I was considering having a pretty dumb troll, but I was assuming he learned to hide but in retrospect it does seem pretty stupid. I'd probably change that completely, thanks. Plus it's sort of irrelevant to the rest of his character. Duly noted, yo.

Trolls don't normally have parental instincts. I mean, there's nothing wrong with breaking stereotype, but it's best to be aware of the fact that anyone who looks after kids would be seen as a total weirdo by everyone else. And probably not in the eye-brow raising way, more like a "wtf is wrong with you" way.
    Well, I don't think he's meant to have paternal instincts so much as it's just a psychic bond that he's not in control of, because that was something I was sort of worried about too. But considering he's modeled after a Big Daddy anyways, people looking at him in a weird "wtf is wrong with you" way is probably actually better, since having a well-liked troll has never been my goal.

Anyways, thanks for the opinions, I'll make sure to change him accordingly, and hopefully make a better fantroll, but I may scrap it for an easier idea. This one was sort of a doozy for me to figure out and I'm not sure it's fitting well enough. Thanks again!

Your name is TACHES FENVID.

You are 6 SWEEPS OLD and are interested in very little. You are in fact something of a KILLJOY, and the only interest you claim to have is a more modern form of HARUSPICY. It mainly involves the DISSECTION of unhealthy beasts and other trolls in order to EXAMINE THEIR INTERNAL ORGANS to discern the causes of their various AILMENTS, unlike traditional haruspicy, which involved a lot more RITUAL. You think rituals are just cover-ups for GUESSWORK, which you LOATHE. You have, though, learned to read the patterns of TROLL ENTRAILS in the tradition of the HARUSPEXES of older times to predict the FUTURE with the help of the VOICES OF THE DEAD, who are attracted to the fresh viscrea, and find them (occasionally) to be HELPFUL. However, you dislike conducting these rituals because it feels like mere CONJECTURE.

You have predicted YOUR DEATH and those of ALL YOUR FRIENDS through this INTEREST. And although you also enjoy an EXTREME FORM OF ROLE-PLAYING, also known as FLARP, you excuse it as ACCOMPANYING YOUR MOIRAIL because you find it slightly degrading. The reason why you like FLARP, aside from the obvious THRILL, is that the ENTRAILS of the unfortunate FLARPERS you play(ed) with are PRIME MATERIAL for EXAMINATION.

You live in HIVE located in a more or less EMPTY BOG with your MARSH BLEATBEAST LUSUS, which appears similar to a BLEATBEAST with an ABNORMAL AMOUNT OF EYES AND HORNS. You usually keep it in a PEN behind your hive because its MULTIPLE EYES unnerve you somewhat, but you'd NEVER ADMIT IT. Despite your STANDOFFISH PERSONALITY, you are a decent friend and REASONABLY LOYAL. For example, after predicting the DEATHS of yourself and your friends, you have been DISEMBOWELING and EXAMINING the organs of the beasts nearby and any trolls that wander by in quick succession in hopes that you will find something different. You are a true friend, indeed.

Your trolltag is ambiguousHaruspex and you speak in a careful, accurate, manner, that suits your grave, reticent, attitude. If you are aggravated however you tend to lose all pretense of calm and plow onwards without a single pause or thought for anything but the end! of! your! statements!

You wield a SCISSORKIND strife specibus and your fetch modus is WYCINANKI, meaning you must cut out the silhouette of whatever item you want. You find this modus extremely time-consuming and aggravating, but it does help you keep your shear skills... sharp.

---

General advice would be excellent, but anything on blood color and typing quirk would be awesome too.

Another fantroll concept that I'm trying to flesh out.

The symbol on her dress is a symbol for gluttony. The sprite isn't finished, I still have to touch up the hair somewhat and put personal touches on the dress. I should also probably work on making the symbol somewhat smaller.

Note: the irregular horn is due to her chopping bits off and eating them.

^I like the gluttony concept, especially the bit about eating her horns (even though that's unhealthy).
    "To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection."
    -Henri Poincare