MSPA Forums
Page 79 of 99 FirstFirst ... 29697677787980818289 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 2466

Thread: fantroll crit thread #1. THERE IS A NEW THREAD, PLEASE DON'T POST IN HERE ANY MORE.

Lurker Extraordinaire BenevolentDemon's Avatar

Re: FANTROLL/HUMAN/BLOODSWAP/FANALIEN CRITIQUE THREAD: how is grubby formed

you guys do realize that troll horns are not literally made of candy corn, right
    i have a tumblr

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Face on the sprite is off. Compare it to a canon sprite. Something about the hair seems off, too, but that might be due to the face.
    Read my, and PrussianMoose's, webcomic: The Adventures of the Great Captain Maggie!

Quotes from the ancient times:

Scourge of Umbrage Teslamagnetic Integration's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BenevolentDemon View Post
    you guys do realize that troll horns are not literally made of candy corn, right
    Some people like the taste of bones.

And I guess some like the taste of ivory.
    [spoiler]
    OCs:

This troll, in question, loves the taste of bones and chitin. And flesh, blood, etc.

The hair probably seems off due to a few bits of editing I did to make it look less like Kanaya's hair, though I might have positioned the base in the wrong way. I moved the eyes to the right, but I'm still doing some editing to make sure I don't accidentally have her eyes poking out of her head outline.

Edit:
    I moved her eyes and mouth to the right. The hair is probably still off. I added two things as accessories: a small bow around one horn, as a reminder of which one to snack on, and a line of little colored reminders, listing all of the castes she has been able to ah, partake of, including her own but not including any sea dwellers. I may take off the reminders and alter the dress, but the whole feel I'm trying to go for is "high class cannibal".

Last edited by EnigmaticD; 11-16-2011 at 07:29 PM.

My as well subject my little lady. She be my first attempt, so this would be greatly appreciated.

> Be the musical one.
    Wellwell, lookslooks likelike aa mysteriousus strangerger withwith obviouslyly tootoo muchmuch timetime getsgets toto introduceduce meme, coolcool.

Your name is SPATHA HELIOS, and you are 8 sweeps of age, and have a tendency to BE FINE WITH STUFF AND SNARK.

You have a singular INTEREST that rises above ALL ELSE. It is a fondness for MUSIC, though you are QUITE GOOD at it. It nonetheless has led you to find your PRESENT CALLING, which came through the discovery of a STRANGE INSTRUMENT that you now play, though you chose to do so for NO REASON.

Guiding you to this calling were the CALLS OF POTENTIAL AUDIENCES, which you have been able to hear since you were young. The calls have become more numerous as you FIRST TRUE CONCERT approaches. This POTENTIALLY AWESOME IDEA began after a DAYDREAM involving a CERTAIN KIND OF GAME, which was another of your interests once upon a time. It doesn't matter much anymore. It's not like you have the time to PLAY it again.

This daydream resulted in a series of SHENANIGANS, which resulted in you being DEVOID of your MUSICAL DEVICE and IN POSSESSION of your current one. On the shoulders of your DREAMS, you have WORKED UP A DEGREE OF COURAGE and convinced YOURSELF to play THIS STRANGE THING and a RANDOM BYSTANDER to listen as you played a MAD HURDY GURDY SOLO. And by convinced, you suppose you mean tricked.

The local voiced its DISTATEFUL OPINION in a way that was NOT TERRIBLY ELEGANT. You responded in an ELEGANT FASION with a taste of your PAX CALIGULA, which you keep in you GLADIUSKIND SPECIBUS at all times so it is always AVAILABLE. The bystander is currently writing RAVE REVIEWS of your WICKED TUNES due to being UTTERLY CONVINCED by the persuasive power of the PAX CALIGULA. You hope that your MUSIC PROWESS will be able to get those of higher bloods to LOOK PAST your lowblood status. If not, well, you're pretty CHILL with that.

Your trolltag is gracedStrings and there is generally a persistanttant echoo ofof thethe lastlast syllableble.

TL;DR
    Name: Spatha Helios
    Trolltag: gracedStrings
    Lusus: A hulking, stalking serpentfiend
    Blood: An somewhat lighter orange e05a13
    Hive: A bunker-like hive, being under the ground that the underground hives are on. It's fairly snug
    Strife Specibus: Gladiuskind
    Fetch Modus: Melodic, Each object inserted has a certain melody assigned to it. This melody needs to be played in order to retrieve it.
    Land: Land of Brass and Strings
    Title: Bard of Breath
    Quirk: AA persistanttant echoo ofof thethe lastlast syllableble.

(And yes, I know her face has spacing issues. Spriting, even with guides and bases = not my strong suit.)

Avatar by Asu aimlessMastermind's Avatar
    Charleston, SC, USA, North America, Earth, Sol system

Greetings, all. Here is another troll from myself. I request critiques. I do not like the colors that I employed or the hair, but they were adapted from some video game character that she's supposed to be connected to. If there are any other suggestions for making the thing look less horrible, let me know. If there is anything else, let me know about that, as well.

Be the short-tempered trollthropologist.

You will not be ordered around, but okay, you were going to be that, anyway. You are UVATHA TARVOS, and you love to corner trolls and make them answer your questions. While you wouldn't do a thing to diminish your status, you started this to determine whether any changes to society were necessary, or if it truly has reached perfection. You figure that, either way, you'll at least have a lot to praise, in your soon-to-be-published ARTICLES.

You'd do this, even if you weren't planning on becoming famous, because you think that making other trolls uncomfortable is PRETTY FUN. You ask very PROBING QUESTIONS, RUDELY FONDLING the opinions out of them. Also, you take pictures! With your camera/grenade launcher, of course. Don't duck! THUNK! You used to conduct most of your interviews in dark alleys, while your MANOTAUR LUSUS stood there, being intimidating. Thanks to some FLARPers - damn their bones! - she was killed recently, though.

You are very easily offended and are not known for thinking your actions through, which you ofttimes REGRET. On the up side, you also make friends with anyone, at the drop of a hat. You consider it a bit SCANDALOUS, befriending landdwellers, but you are a massive OLD WAR MOVIE GEEK, and trolls are always forming bands of invertebrothers and sisters of all castes. You will stubbornly defend any of your friends, even if you've just met them.

You live, that is, you would live in your hive, which is an expansive castle on an underwater mountain, but your idiotic younger self unfortunately chose a spot of sea with PRIME CONDITIONS for FLARPing. You hate FLARPers. Conducting interviews and eventually chasing them off for being loud was actually kind of fun, at first, but they just kept coming back. To make matters worse, due the attention you lavished on them, they took to RAIDING YOUR HIVE. For some reason, your lusus loved carving out some kind of LABYRINTH in the mountain. The FLARPers found out about this and assumed that most of your riches would be found there. In what was deemed the, "BEST CAMPAIGN EVER!" that particular week, they cornered and culled your lusus, down there. You mostly live in a large PENTHIVE, in some city, but you periodically head back home to let out some steam with directing a rampage at any squatting FLARPers you can find. Sometimes, you get lucky and don't even have to go back home! Those guys are all over the place!

Your FETCH MODUS is usually set to HIT LIST, requiring you to name trolls that you've told it you're after. Recently added trolls for recently added items, and so forth. You added the GUILT TRIP modus, recently, which you find yourself switching to more as well as more often. It pops out recently added items as you name recently acquired guilts. One of your friends used to use this to see how honest you were being with him, but that just caused the RESULTING MESS to be added to the database.

Also, you won't readily admit this, but you hope that your research will indicate that the hemospectrum is OUTDATED, or that the grounds for culling will become more LENIENT. Before you really left your hive much or noticed that seadwellers kill each other about as much as they kill anyone else, your only friends were of the online sort. Each of them disappeared, causing you to head out and INVESTIGATE. They were all landdwellers that were culled for various and usually petty reasons.

You now privately consider yourself a SOLDIER on the front lines of a war for equality. You're always being OVERLY DRAMATIC about it, when no one's looking. When they are, although you already possess a hair-trigger of a temper, you like finding ways to be offended by trolls that cull trolls just because they can. Your go-to weapon is your camera/grenade launcher, but you have recently acquired a STAKE, which you find so much more satisfying, while culling what you have analyzed to be the worst of the worst.

Name: Uvatha Tarvos
    Trolltag: atrociousAngles
    Quirk: ☼A flash from your camera, then a bouncing grenade.√˚v˚
    Title: To be added.
    Land: To be added.
    Consorts: To be added.
    Blood: This one. I saw a link in the Trollslum thread showing off the colors of the canon trolls, but it didn't help me out with the little code for colors and which ones I shouldn't be using. oh well. If this doesn't work, it can be changed.
    Strife specibus: Camera/grenadelauncherkind, like the whole key/gun thing. Also, stakekind. Lots of jokes about fishsticks.
    Fetch modus: KILL LIST, requiring you to name the most recent troll you've added to the database for the most recent item you've tossed in. Can be switched to GUILT TRIP, requiring you to recall something that you feel guilty for, in exchange for something.
    Lusus: Dead. Your momataur, a manatee-looking thing with arms and bull horns.
    Dream planet: To be added.
    Text Colour: #C600F7
    Denizen: To be added.
    Sprite: To be added.
    Quadrant Partners: Zero, so far.
    Abilities: The usual above average strength for seadwellers, I suppose. Not sure how superly strong that would be.
    Variety of Grist: I wasn't even aware that this was an important thing.
    Planet's Quest: Unknown.
    Cruxite Artifact: Enn Slash Ay
    Last edited by aimlessMastermind; 11-18-2011 at 01:40 AM.
    My computer finally swallowed a Pesterchum, for real, this time! Type at aimlessMastermind, for efficiency, or request a troll, for silliness.

Troll stuff, now hiding:

@ED : Depending on the way you play it, the colorful reminders may seem a bit too much like Jade.

Quote Originally Posted by BenevolentDemon
    I think the Gluttony aspect here that ED is going for is supposed to be more reminiscent of King Erysichthon of Thessaly who was cursed by Demeter for cutting down her sacred trees and killing a dryad nymph in the process. Demeter cursed him with Limos, insatiable and unrelenting hunger in his stomach. He kept selling his daughter to buy more and more food until he eventually ate himself. ED may not be directly going for this idea, but something similar it seems.

I highly doubt anyone really thinks those horns literally taste like candy corn (least I don't). Of course if you were just kidding/being sarcastic, then ignore my rambling and sorry for misunderstanding.
    Last edited by DigitalBlasphemy; 11-16-2011 at 10:19 PM.
    "To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection."
    -Henri Poincare

Re: FANTROLL CRITIQUE THREAD: No, Seriously, We Would Like To Help You Out Here

Quote Originally Posted by tiresomeKnave View Post
    Your name is TACHES FENVID.

You are 6 SWEEPS OLD and are interested in very little. You are in fact something of a KILLJOY, and the only interest you claim to have is a more modern form of HARUSPICY. It mainly involves the DISSECTION of unhealthy beasts and other trolls in order to EXAMINE THEIR INTERNAL ORGANS to discern the causes of their various AILMENTS, unlike traditional haruspicy, which involved a lot more RITUAL. You think rituals are just cover-ups for GUESSWORK, which you LOATHE. You have, though, learned to read the patterns of TROLL ENTRAILS in the tradition of the HARUSPEXES of older times to predict the FUTURE with the help of the VOICES OF THE DEAD, who are attracted to the fresh viscrea, and find them (occasionally) to be HELPFUL. However, you dislike conducting these rituals because it feels like mere CONJECTURE.

You have predicted YOUR DEATH and those of ALL YOUR FRIENDS through this INTEREST. And although you also enjoy an EXTREME FORM OF ROLE-PLAYING, also known as FLARP, you excuse it as ACCOMPANYING YOUR MOIRAIL because you find it slightly degrading. The reason why you like FLARP, aside from the obvious THRILL, is that the ENTRAILS of the unfortunate FLARPERS you play(ed) with are PRIME MATERIAL for EXAMINATION.

You live in HIVE located in a more or less EMPTY BOG with your MARSH BLEATBEAST LUSUS, which appears similar to a BLEATBEAST with an ABNORMAL AMOUNT OF EYES AND HORNS. You usually keep it in a PEN behind your hive because its MULTIPLE EYES unnerve you somewhat, but you'd NEVER ADMIT IT. Despite your STANDOFFISH PERSONALITY, you are a decent friend and REASONABLY LOYAL. For example, after predicting the DEATHS of yourself and your friends, you have been DISEMBOWELING and EXAMINING the organs of the beasts nearby and any trolls that wander by in quick succession in hopes that you will find something different. You are a true friend, indeed.

Your trolltag is ambiguousHaruspex and you speak in a careful, accurate, manner, that suits your grave, reticent, attitude. If you are aggravated however you tend to lose all pretense of calm and plow onwards without a single pause or thought for anything but the end! of! your! statements!

You wield a SCISSORKIND strife specibus and your fetch modus is WYCINANKI, meaning you must cut out the silhouette of whatever item you want. You find this modus extremely time-consuming and aggravating, but it does help you keep your shear skills... sharp.

----

General critique and help with the blood color and symbol would be great! I was thinking somewhere in the green-blue range, but...
    You seem to have double-posted, bro! Might want to delete one.

Considering that this troll has a psychic power, they should probably be between red and yellow. Anything higher would be unlikely to have such an ability.

Do they use their medical knowledge to treat only their friends or do they do it for other trolls? For a rustblood that could be a good source of income, plus those without psychic powers would probably appreciate his/her predictions. Speaking of which, are they male or female? Do they have any goals for the future? You've got a good profile so far but it's missing some details. I don't quite understand their quirk. Do they space everything with commas or exclamation points? You might want to make that clear.

I'd suggest Microscopium for a symbol.
    CC: ∑ ^ owo it was a hyperbole you fuck

Re: FANTROLL CRITIQUE THREAD: No, Seriously, We Would Like To Help You Out Here

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    You seem to have double-posted, bro! Might want to delete one.

Considering that this troll has a psychic power, they should probably be between red and yellow. Anything higher would be unlikely to have such an ability.

Do they use their medical knowledge to treat only their friends or do they do it for other trolls? For a rustblood that could be a good source of income, plus those without psychic powers would probably appreciate his/her predictions. Speaking of which, are they male or female? Do they have any goals for the future? You've got a good profile so far but it's missing some details. I don't quite understand their quirk. Do they space everything with commas or exclamation points? You might want to make that clear.
    Ahhh, my bad! I think I got rid of it; I'm not familiar with this forum. Thanks for letting me know.

Taches is female! Her quirk involves spacing things with commas, and the exclamations come up when she's angry and wants to emphasize her meaning.

Thanks, I'll try and add some of the other information in! Any ideas for symbols? I'm always terrible at those.

@DB : I was kind of going for that, with playing the reminders as creepy instead of cute. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with that gluttony note.

@ AM: If you need to check the color, try using a color picker program of some sort to do so, there are a lot of them online. There are also calculators online that can convert the red/blue/green code in the picker into hex code, if you want. You can also just copy the image, post it in paint, pick the blood color you want, and fiddle around with it. That's what I do.
    Last edited by EnigmaticD; 11-16-2011 at 08:39 PM.
    My Tumblr
    Stuff:

And then out of nowhere, a fan-race!

You are now the Scroy'ld, not that you are any sort of hive-mind.

Physiology:

Culture/Technology:

Life Cycle:

Critique would be very much appreciated, and if there's any ideas, or info you think I should add, please tell me!

Am I Kawaii? (´・ω・`) KawaiiMelon's Avatar

@Monkeysky

You might want to erase the line separating the ankles and body and round out the sides, so it doesn't look like they're wearing shirts with attached tentacles.
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaa

The upside-down guy BewareOfNerd's Avatar
    Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

1. Give more detail on their culture and technology. What level of technology has their society reached? What kind of homes do they live in? Who takes care of them? How do romance and reproduction work? What's their government like? Is there any stigma associated with a high level of mutation?
    2. S___B is a computer game. If they don't have computers or something similar, they're not advanced enough to play.

Quote Originally Posted by BewareOfNerd View Post
    1. Give more detail on their culture and technology. What level of technology has their society reached? What kind of homes do they live in? Who takes care of them? How do romance and reproduction work? What's their government like? Is there any stigma associated with a high level of mutation?
    2. S___B is a computer game. If they don't have computers or something similar, they're not advanced enough to play.
    1. I sort of did describe their romance and reproduction, it's under life cycle.
    2. They do have computers, but just as the trolls had grubs instead of discs, their computers appear to be paper. The only comparison i could make is if you had a notebook that would solve math problems written in it in your own handwriting. They are able to access and change information in this way.

E:
    I changed the sprites a bit. I didn't round out the bodies because I thought that it made them look a bit saggy, which sort of makes sense considering their body makeup.

Last edited by Monkeysky; 11-16-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Your name is ALNITA RIGELI, and you like SCIENCE!

You consider yourself the epitome of scientific curiosity, though you're not sure what distinguishes scientific curiosity from regular SCIENCE. Does SCIENCE not encompass everything and anything civilized? Is she not what separates trolls from animals and subjects? Yes, you anthropomorphize her. Why wouldn't you use a proper pronoun for SCIENCE? Why, she is more worthy of your respect than pretty much every troll you know!

Despite the cult-like worship you have for the SCIENCES, they don't seem to reciprocate it. Your experiments routinely end in contradictory results, and it's rare that you can scrounge up enough subjects for both a study and a control group for your infamous substance intolerance experiments. Why do they always run away before you can gather them together? Don't they know that they are interfering with progress? You suspect that part of the problem may be your absolutely atrocious knot-tying skills. You would instead use zip-ties to restrain your subjects but they tend to get lost in your fetch modus.

When you aren't utterly failing to put together a proper group of lowbloods, you explore the coastlines with your lusus, a large horned crocodile named Vector. She is amazingly overprotective, but that's probably a good thing when you spend so much time in the wilds. Plus, she can dig a hole in the sand for the days when you're out too late and there isn't a hive nearby for you to break into. You just wish she wouldn't insist on inspecting every little object you find on the off-chance it might be trapped.

These little objects tend to find their way into your Rummage Fetch Modus, where they are subsequently lost and only arise when you mean to take something else out of there. Broken vials, shiny rocks, sea shells... All are accepted into your sylladex! You tell yourself it's because they could be useful some day, but the actual reason you have so much clutter is because you are a horrible packrat. You just cannot help adding things to the pile.

You prefer luring people away instead of outright fighting them into submission, but your complete lack of manners means that doesn't happen often. It's almost as if lowbloods don't like being disparaged and talked to like they're animals, though you can't imagine why. You've learned how to defend yourself with the Staffkind specibus, and are pretty good at breaking people's knees. You also have a Bladekind tucked away for after you've gotten some test subjects, but scalpels and bone-saws aren't very useful in a brawl.

Your handle is restlessScavenger and you have no taCt whatsoever. Why bother wIth nICetIes when SCIENCE Is on the lIne?

My fantrolls

@GS: The quirk looks good. You should include information about her hive and lusus in the profile itself. How does she feel about romance? What is this strange instrument? How does she interact with other trolls who aren't insulting her music or just want to talk? Try fleshing her personality out more.
    "To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection."
    -Henri Poincare

Monkeysky: What distinguishes individuals other than body color and where their eyes and mouth are? Those sprites all look pretty similar.
    My fantrolls

Finally got this concept done. Changed her blood hue a bit to make it less purple. Just need a weigh-in on the sprite and the profile. I do plan on making her "boss" soon.

>Be the big eater.

CRUNCH what can i say? CHOMP im starving over here. OM NOM NOM

Your name is LIMOSA INFINI, you are six sweeps old, and you are feeling a slight bit peckish right now.

Profile:

Your trolltag is majesticGlutton and CHOMP you have a habit SMACK of talking between bites GULP and a weird laugh. OM NOM NOM

TL;DR:
    My Tumblr
    Stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird766 View Post
    Monkeysky: What distinguishes individuals other than body color and where their eyes and mouth are? Those sprites all look pretty similar.
    I'm working on clothing, which I'm going to make a bit more flamboyant than trolls or humans.

Hello, fellow indigo-blooded crocodilian lusus person!

I only have a few comments on your girl's profile. The biggest one is a question on how she was able to bite off a fellow troll's hand, since I'm pretty sure the average mouth simply isn't big enough to get around a wrist. The severing itself I'm guessing is because she got her teeth in between the bones of the troll's wrist. Another thing is that the subjugglators are an adult thing; on Alternia they would just be indigobloods.

I must say I like the idea of a character who's basically used as an attack dog, but doesn't particularly care that they are.
    My fantrolls

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird766 View Post
    Hello, fellow indigo-blooded crocodilian lusus person!

I only have a few comments on your girl's profile. The biggest one is a question on how she was able to bite off a fellow troll's hand, since I'm pretty sure the average mouth simply isn't big enough to get around a wrist. The severing itself I'm guessing is because she got her teeth in between the bones of the troll's wrist. Another thing is that the subjugglators are an adult thing; on Alternia they would just be indigobloods.

I must say I like the idea of a character who's basically used as an attack dog, but doesn't particularly care that they are.
    As for the biting of the hand, maybe she just has an abnormally large jaw? Her lusus is a Crocodile.

Holy... what are even the odds?

Anyway, I will probably change "hand" to "finger", in order to take out that plot hole. I said subjugglator because, according to pretty much all of the fanon things I've read, it's synonymous with indigoblood.
    My Tumblr
    Stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticD View Post
    Holy... what are even the odds?

Anyway, I will probably change "hand" to "finger", in order to take out that plot hole. I said subjugglator because, according to pretty much all of the fanon things I've read, it's synonymous with indigoblood.
    Nah, only indigobloods can be subjegglators, but not all are, hence the indigoblood on the wall of the grand highblood.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeysky View Post
    Nah, only indigobloods can be subjegglators, but not all are, hence the indigoblood on the wall of the grand highblood.
    Actually we haven't been told within the comic that only indigos can be subjuggulators, but the "not all of them are" is definately correct.

RE: Horn-eater girl

Why does she eat her horns anyway? Something more plausible would be nibbling her fingernails or sipping on her own blood. It's easier to get to and horns are made of thick, hard keratin. She could have a serious problem with pica on her hands honestly. Does her eating everything in her path have an affect on her overall health? Does she have something wrong with her that drains her energy too quickly or is she seriously overweight?

Designwise, her symbol is too large and the lines are too thin. It should also be moved to the right more.

Her quirks seems like it would be difficult to use if you were RPing her but that might not be a thing that concerns you.
    CC: ∑ ^ owo it was a hyperbole you fuck