MSPA Forums
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 912

Thread: Terrastuck Act 2 - End of year 3

  1. #51
    Ace Hole Fishman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Land of Infractions and Condescension
    Posts
    1,080

    Re: Terrasuck Act 3 - ponytailArtist: Please stop. Everything.


    USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrastuck? More like Terra-SUCK: An inarguably accurate assessment by Wolfhead & Friends
    Allow me to start this essay by saying exactly what is expected of me: I’ve been a fan of Homestuck since the very beginning.

    I started reading MSPaint Adventures at the end of Problem Sleuth, and stuck around because I knew the next story would be even better. It totally was, and what little contact I had with other fans only made the experience more enjoyable. At the risk of sounding far more bitter than I am, being a member of the MSPaint Adventures fandom was perfectly acceptable (If indeed such a thing can be said to have existed at that time). When Act Five began, and the scope of the story zoomed way out, we knew things were getting serious and changing for good. Of course, this effect was present in the readership and fan community as well. I won’t pretend I know enough psychology lingo to say what about the Troll Arc was so attractive to so many people, or what underlying characteristics of this influx of readership I don’t like very much. All I know is that there are many elements of what became the Homestuck Fandom that I don’t like, that relatively few of them were present before Act Five, and that they have been getting worse and more prominent over time. It has gotten to the point where my friends and I make games out of deliberately finding things people have done that we agree are objectively wrong or bad, and use them to enrich the accuracy and/or acceptability of our own creative endeavors and appreciation of Homestuck. You know one of these games, we call it Trollslum.

    For what it’s worth, this is the one and only time I will speak about the Homestuck Fandom in general. I still enjoy being a part of it, in the open as well as from behind this alias. If you feel offended, please believe me when I say that, individually speaking, I would probably say you are an Okay Person. The entire purpose of this passage has been to make it clear that, when it comes to bad things done by the Homestuck Fandom, I have a fairly good idea of what I’m talking about, and the entire purpose of that point is to give weight to the following statement:

    Terrastuck is the one I find the most infuriating.

    Terrastuck is what is known as a forum adventure, a story told in the same reader-input-driven manner as Problem Sleuth and parts of Homestuck, through use of the official MSPA forums. Of note are the relatively high rates of productivity and reader input/discussion present in its thread. It is also worth noting that every reference to Terrastuck I have discovered outside of the MSPA Forums has been in agreement with my opinions.

    ponytailArtist, the writer and illustrator of Terrastuck, is a menace. His idea of storytelling is to smash multiple characters from multiple existing canons together, with minimal regard for continuity and accurate characterization. He offers “cameo appearances” in his story to people who can guess which anime he has taken a particular character from, as though it is some kind of reward that a rational being would desire. He refers to any plot development that does not involve lesbian relationship issues as “Filler”, consistently. He demands fan art periodically, suggesting that he thinks its generation should be connected to the fact that he “tried” rather than the audience’s appreciation and the quality of his work. (A wise move, but for the wrong reasons.*) He practices favoritism, obeys the will of his audience far more closely than any storyteller should, and has a dumb ponytail. I don’t like him.


    Stick around, I swear this is an actual quote, for which I will later provide context.

    I know it’s probably not going to happen, but I would pay good money to read an in-depth reaction to Terrastuck from Andrew himself. We can only guess at what diabolically ingenious things he would have to say on the subject of this insult to his creative work, and of its perpetrator.


    But I think I know how he’d start.

    Somewhere between the emergence of fanfiction as a cultural concept and the point we find ourselves at today, something went wrong. Somewhere down the line people decided that simply slapping together characters created by others and from vastly different settings, without the permission or consent of the original authors, is an acceptable practice, and that anyone who is capable of doing so with little trouble is to be revered. This is not the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Operator
    “OK, so let’s talk about fan fiction.

    Yes, it can be OK. Our main area of interest on Slumtroller is fan characters and all that they entail. And you know what? That’s OK. In a setting like Homestuck, where the author has confirmed that there are hundreds of potential game sessions of terrestrial origin, there’s not much of an argument against it. Telling a new story within an existing writer’s framework certainly isn’t the same as writing your own story, but it’s respectful to the original work. We mainly stick to pointing out bad character design, and of course, fantrolls that stray closer to the domain of a much more nefarious type of fan fiction.

    That would be revisionist fan fiction, and it covers a large chunk of fan fiction as a whole. Everything bad you’ve heard about fanfiction probably falls under this category. Every OTP, every canon character’s long-lost-cousin, every what-if scenario is a culprit here. And Terrastuck is a nasty offender.

    This kind of fan fiction smacks of the “I know the real story is x, but I wanted it to be y, so I’m going to write y and pretend that’s what really happened.” And if it’s not immediately apparent why that’s wrong, allow me to explain.

    Every story worth telling had a hell of a lot of thought go into it. Every character introduced, every conflict, every triumph, every tragedy, every panel, every word is there for a reason. The greatest works of fiction make the audience care about the characters, to share their joys and sadness. Great fiction can evoke great responses in its audience, that’s why it’s called great fiction. And whether or not you believe a story should evoke so-called bad feelings, you can’t deny that it’s the story the author wanted to tell. To deny a part of that, to supply your own patched up “better” version of a story, is the equivalent of covering your ears and singing to avoid acknowledging something you don’t like, and it’s immensely disrespectful to the original story and the artist.

    You can’t do that in real life, what makes you think you can just because it’s a work of fiction?”
    Terrastuck isn’t just disrespectfully inaccurate, it’s downright creepy. Don’t just take our words for it, though, consider these scenes and judge for yourself. Terrastuck cannot go two pages without having Vriska remove her urine-soaked underwear in front of Jade (who she soon afterwards makes out with), five pages without tossing in random characters from animes (with no warning, reason, or explanation), or seven pages without introducing a character whose sole function is to “romantically” assault any Homestuck characters it encounters. Don’t believe me? Here are the scenes themselves. Viewer discretion advised.

    Oh, sorry, did I say “introducing a character. . ?” I meant stealing. Yeah, the robot that ends up raping Kanaya and Aradia was totally lifted from another low-quality forum adventure, one that I will hopefully get around to dealing with some time soon.

    Of course, it isn’t particularly difficult to fill a mere seven pages when you have a minor fanbase offering suggestions, speculating on developments, and praising the story, and the fact that Terrastuck has one is almost certainly a war crime against literature. Anyone brave or foolish enough to attempt reading Terrastuck will, at the time of this writing, be faced with the task of slogging through over 90 pages.


    Click this thumbnail, and suffer the consequences.

    *[Ed: I could say that this attitude is indicative of the current disintegration of Western society, but that makes me a hipster.]

  2. #52
    ass to ass tonightsEntertainment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    boss angeles, coolifornia
    Posts
    871

    Re: Terrasuck Act 3 - ponytailArtist: Please stop. Everything.


    USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrasuck 2: Suck Harder
    I’d like to make it clear that Terrastuck features and glorifies disturbing sexual themes, due to the incredibly likely possibility that its author learned about sex from Sonic the Hedgehog fan fiction.


    “You are now JADE HARLEY and you are so confuuuused! And slightly aroused for reasons your 15 year old brain can’t fathom. :O”

    ponytailArtist clearly subscribes to the “Lesbianism is hot because I can never have it” school of thought, despite the fact that he wouldn’t recognize a real lesbian if she kicked him in the balls and ripped his throat out, all while explaining the dynamic psychological, physiological, and environmental elements that contribute to sexual preference.


    Heterosexuality killed a relative of his, I guess.

    The main character, Cosmo, is the least realistic, least interesting, and least original female character I’ve ever had the ill luck to discover. A large chunk of her characterization and plot relevance focuses on acquiring a dress and working as a dancer in a bar. (Both the job and dress are offered to her instantly and free from reciprocation, because everyone loves her.) When she finally receives the dress, she screams “I LOVE IT!” exactly twenty-one times before others force her back into reality. She passes the Bechdel test only on a technicality, as she obsesses over a woman instead of a man. Kamina, the older brother and inspirational figure from Gurren Lagann, treats her like a younger sister. Dave Strider falls in love with her immediately after they meet. Did I mention that she’s a Sonic X character? I probably should have gotten that out of the way at the beginning.

    ponytailArtist operates under the delusion that he is writing a “Crossover” story, which is simply not true. Crossover fiction is when two or more characters from legitimate established works interact with one another, under the guidance and direction of the artists responsible for creating them. Anything created by a third party falls under the umbrella of “fan fiction”, no exceptions. A genuine crossover story can be seen here:


    Not pictured: lesbians.

    Of course, people are going to resort to the “It’s just fan fiction, we can do whatever we want” argument. I do not see a need to defend against this, since any of you who aren’t so juvenile as to believe that cramming dozens of characters from works you are not affiliated with into a narrative is an acceptable form of storytelling will have already learned that there is, in fact, a limit to what you can write if you wish to be accepted by those you seek to emulate. Readers who are of that opinion will go through puberty sooner or later, and I don’t mind waiting around for them to reevaluate their priorities.

    Terrastuck is primarily composed of characters from Homestuck, but also with a bizarre smattering of other sources. One can expect to find characters from literary masterpieces such as Toppa Gurren Lagann and Kingdom Hearts, as well as from actual good things like Resident Evil, How to Train your Dragon, and Cave Story.


    This image may have been embellished a bit.

    Again, and I cannot stress this enough, there is no reason for these characters to be interacting with one another. (Unless you count “wow this is so cool” as a reason, which you don’t because idiots aren’t people.) Some sort of ham-fisted explanation is offered, but it defies all logic and only causes further confusion. Read it yourself, if you please.

    When I tried to make sense of that mess, I blacked out and woke up the next morning in a forest 40 miles away and covered in blood. I still have no idea of what any of it means, and I’m fairly certain it doesn’t even apply to some of the characters. Regardless, none of the actual logical events that would follow such a collision of worlds ever takes place. Kamina lived his entire life in a cave, before fighting robots for about a week and then dying. That is as far as his story goes. Shouldn’t he be distressed over somehow being ripped through time and space, away from everything he had ever known? Why does he fight Bro Strider instead of asking him if he’s seen his brother around anywhere,and maybe where he could get a bite to eat in this strange new world? Oh, wait, they fight because Awesome Crossover Fights are the indisputable pinnacle of cool, and anyone who dares to ask more from a narrative should hang their head in shame and crack open one of those nerdy-ass book things.

    You know what? Fuck your anime.

    Gurren Lagann is stupid, and Kamina is even worse. Why should I care about a single thing he says? He’s clearly insane, and all of his quotes about self-confidence are utterly nonsensical. I don’t believe in you believing in me, Kamina. I believe that the less you think about me the safer I am. I believe that, were you an actual living being, you would be a danger to everyone around you, friend or foe. I believe in my own ability to avoid you forever and not spew stupid anime cliches like some sort of greasy neck-bearded volcano. I believe in not resorting to flashy “awesome overdose” sequences to engage readers in a story, and I’ve read Uzumaki too many times to believe that spirals are anything but evil.



    The Kingdom Hearts characters are from a group of villains known as Organization XIII, a posse of pointy-haired bastards who hang around in stupid bullshit Gothic castles while complaining about how they don’t have souls, pausing occasionally to betray each other and fight the pointy-haired protagonist with comically impossible swords. All of them are named Xexogorg. Their presence is, apparently, menacing.



    The thing is, the absence of characters like this is one of the things that makes Homestuck a good story, and not knowing enough about storytelling to realize this doesn’t make it any less true.

    Hey!

    Get back up here, you can leave a comment when you’ve finished reading what I have to say.

    Any moron can write for Kamina or an Organization XIII member. They are shallow characters with easily comprehended motives, wrapped up in “badass” physical appearances so that the readers don’t mind. In fact, due to the canon-bridging nature of Kingdom Hearts, hypothesizing the involvement of Organization XIII in an entirely different universe is just barely passable, even by my stringent standards. Thus, Terrastuck’s main problem comes from the usage and behavior of its Homestuck cast.

  3. #53
    CEO Extraordinaire Pootporri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    the land of guns and slums
    Posts
    5,004

    Re: Terrasuck Act 3 - ponytailArtist: Please stop. Everything.


    USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrasuck 3: Return of the Suck
    Right off the bat, when the casual reader’s guard is still down, Terrastuck wins the award for Worst Vriska Ever. It had to defeat the naked one I made with that atrocious sprite sheet for the title, but there is simply no question as to who is more deserving of it. If you have ever used an eight-eyed emoticon in place of a traditional one, if you have ever slipped an 8 into text to give your message a hint of characterization, then congratulations. You are better at writing for Vriska than ponytailArtist is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostslime
    “The problem with ponytailArtist’s Vriska is that she reacts to situations – all situations – with one of two things: overtly helpless behavior, or lesbianism. I’ll focus on the former, since Wolfhead can easily handle the sheer stupidity of the latter. The prologue, the very first post on the very first page, is that of Vriska begging John for the privilege to stay on his inexplicably reconstructed planet. (Speaking of which, John’s actual house is located somewhere in Washington State, which is nowhere near the St. Louis arch.)

    When John turns to Vriska and graciously (there are so many things wrong with that word in this context, but there’s no useful alternative) allows her to stay, we are treated to several particularly delicious shots of her crying, prostrate. You do realize Vriska never cried in canon? Not when she killed Spidermom. Not when she had her arm ripped off. Why would homelessness even so much as faze her?

    The next pages are a blur, and then when Vriska took off her urine-soaked underpants they may as well have landed in my face, because I literally could not read past that point.”
    I’ve read many attempts to duplicate Dave’s writing style over the past two years, and have come to the conclusion that he is the hardest Homestuck character for a fan to write for. The balance between acceptable and horribly wrong is delicate, with one misplaced “fuck” or “ironically” being enough to cast irredeemable discord over the entire passage. ponytailArtist doesn’t even try to maintain that balance. He hefts a baseball bat and smashes the scale without a second thought. The bat is made out of compressed text; quotes including these:

    Quote Originally Posted by ponytailArtist's Bad Dave
    TG: sup ter bear
    TG: bitches be worshiping my wit left and right
    TG: the only thing i ever do during class is chill on fucking rooftops
    TG: where the birds shit on my face and it’s windy as hell
    TG: because it’s ironic
    I may not feel as confident when analyzing fan-written Kanaya speech, but I can say with some certainty that most of her lines in Terrastuck come across as needlessly over-sophisticated. However, those small discrepancies pale in comparison to atrocious grammar mistakes, such as this:

    Quote Originally Posted by ponytailArtist's Bad Kanaya
    GA: Me And Aradia Here Constructed You As A Prototype For A New Soulbot*
    Terezi has been reduced to a cardboard cutout that retains none of her original interests whatsoever besides obtaining and licking red objects. She offers hamfisted “Girl Talk” relationship advice to Jade at one point, which should sound out of character to anyone who has so much as glanced at a picture of her.

    However, you can tell that extra effort was put into writing Rose’s dialogue. By which I mean a thesaurus.

    Quote Originally Posted by ponytailArtist's Bad Rose
    TT: Although I fear I may receive an angry lecture when I have to regroup with my mother back home.
    TT: Heaven knows what our troll brethren have been doing in our absence.
    If the previous examples haven’t convinced you, these “character dossiers” should serve as the final nail in the coffin and render it abundantly clear that ponytailArtist has only the crudest understanding of Homestuck characters, and never did pay attention to his grammar lessons.

    Quote Originally Posted by How ponytailArtist actually sees Homestuck Characters
    Dave Strider, turntechGodhead. A sarcastic fool with great combat skill to make up for his vulgar tongue.

    Karkat Vantas, carcinoGeneticist. A strict leader whom[sic] is often followed without question. Battle capabilities are average but be weary[sic] nonetheless.

    Terezi Pyrope, gallowsCalibrator. Serious business hidden behind a cheery attitude.

    Wow, rude. Play nice with other people’s characters.

    Of course, explaining what is wrong with every individual Homestuck character over the entirety of Terrastuck would be quite impossible. We’d be here for weeks, and the mind-numbing incompetence of it all would drive us crazy. Suffice to say that the only canonically accurate things written by ponytailArtist are the characters’ names.

    It is unfortunately easy to fall into the trap of thinking that pictures produced by ponytailArtist are “good”, even “great.” I assure you, this is not the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Operator
    "From what I can tell, he does his lineart using line tools, and when he has to draw freehand, things tend to end up too small. He doesn’t do any figure drawing ahead of time or change anything once he’s drawn it, giving his characters inconsistent proportions. Anything smooth ends up elongated, and the more complex parts like faces and hands (if they get drawn at all) end up small and frequently out of place. All evidence points to an inability, or more likely unwillingness, to change anything once he’s drawn.
    The “it’s perfect on the first try” attitude is a huge stumbling block for artists, right up there with “it’s just my style.” Recommended treatment: lance the ego."

    Gradients are cool, right guys?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pootporri
    “As for spriting itself, it could use a lot of work. And… a lot a lot of work.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pootporri
    I don’t particularly know what the context of this is other than horrible. Like, honestly. He does know the characters have actual “Alterniabound” sprites, right? For reference? And there are pictures on the internet used solely for reference. Disregarding the fact that there is (what I assume to be) an anime character in your comic as well as one from some movie, it just needs a lot of work.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pootporri
    Also, waists. They exist. Anatomy wise, it looks like someone squeezed a mayonnaise jar in the middle. Animation as well. People don’t continuously blink over and over and over again. It really, really needs to be worked on.”
    Quote Originally Posted by headLice
    “Art wise, I wish he would try more. From what I’ve seen (which isn’t a lot because I am a weakling) everyone has one sprite that is always seen in the exact same pose with very minor variations, over a stock image from casual Google searches. The sprites never have legs, and vary greatly when shown next to each other in terms of size and proportions. I wish he would at least try to draw legs and backgrounds because his work isn’t the worst out there, and one of the cool things about Forum Adventures is how they are good for practicing and improving art over time.”
    The “regular” artwork ranges between acceptable and utterly incomprehensible.


    If you can tell me what this is supposed to be, you are probably lying.

    His sense of composition, however, ranges from horrendous to even more horrendous, and can sometimes result in physically painful images.




    Only click on it if you don’t mind flashing colors. Seriously.

    He doesn’t deserve to have the word “artist” anywhere near him, and the only people who should be enjoying his artwork are our lovely skewer-blog readers.


    You can pick one of these babies up in the Slumtroller Gift Shop. (Not really.)

    Just because someone can produce mediocre, effort-free content doesn’t make them some sort of artistic deity, though he would certainly have us think otherwise.


    I forgot what part of the essay I made this image for. Who cares, it’s hilarious.

    *[Ed: If you don't see the problem here, a good rule of thumb in "me and someone" and "someone and I" type sentences is to take out the person that isn't you. The sentence doesn't make sense as "Me Constructed You As A Prototype", does it?]

  4. #54
    emptiness and Chasewithlasers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    nihil
    Posts
    1,215

    Re: Terrasuck Act 3 - ponytailArtist: Please stop. Everything.


    USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrasuck 4: The Final Reckoning
    ponytailArtist’s feelings towards his story and “its” characters are sickening to behold. Listening to him talk about Terrastuck is like watching a video of an overweight man in a tuxedo passing gas repeatedly, and describing each instance with adjective usage that would shame even the most eloquent wine taster. Here are a few examples of what he has to say about his abomination, in bold for easy recognition. Context is provided when necessary, but some are pretty funny on their own.

    Immediately after Vriska romantically assaults Jade on the pretense that they are competing for John’s attention: “Hey look, the plot is moving along. GASP”

    After drawing some thoroughly uninteresting eyes: “If you look close enough, you can see Dave’s eyes behind the shades. Animated. *listens for the legion of fangirl squeals*”

    After posting an image of possibly the worst Terezi ever: “Let’s play a game! How many people can recognize where I stole this panel from?” (The correct answer is “Hell,” in case you were wondering.)


    In case you couldn’t tell by now, you have to click on thumbnails to see most of our .GIFs.

    “My reaction to current Homestuck update: SHIT FUCK MOTHERFUCK PISS CUNT MOTHERFUCK FUCK DAMN FUCK MOTHERFUCKING SHIT FUCK COCKSUCKER MOTHERFUCKER TITS FFFFFFFFFFFFFF” (Determining which update he is referring to wouldn’t be very difficult, but it is surprisingly amusing to pretend that he means this one



    “Hey, look at that! I’m taking the shipping seriously all of a sudden! Which includes Jade potentially turning into a lesbian.”



    “I demand fanart tribute!” (No one complied.)

    “I highly expect this image might get taken down due to dropping an F bomb. If it does, I’ll fix it, so don’t go pestering me about it.” (Evidently he forgot the ~720 appearances of the word “Fuck” in Homestuck, all of the ones he already used for Dave a mere eight pages prior, and his unexpected yet hilarious outburst over John performing surgery on the cake.)

    “Oh god, my heart was thumping so hard as I made this update. Is it wrong to be caught up in the emotion of your own story when you already know what you’re planning to do? ;_;” (Yes.)

    “Also, guys, forget the regular canon of everything that is now a part of this adventure. Especially if it involves Kingdom Hearts.” (No.)

    “I’m still putting this story together from mostly nothing here. ^^;” (Is he becoming self-aware?)

    “you don’t need to remind me how much I suck I’m fully aware of it already” (Nope, he isn’t. No one could survive such a harsh realization.)

    “I’m probably pushing some boundaries here, but dammit, I have a story to tell!”

    You didn’t push the boundaries, asshole, you annihilated them. You strapped on your idiotic star-shaped glasses, jumped into the cockpit of your bullshit galaxy-sized anime robot, and blasted them with a five minute animated tranformation/attack sequence and speech about how awesome you are. Flashing words lit up on the bottom of the screen so millions of awestruck weeaboos could shout “GIGA CANON FUCKER” along with their TV sets. Later, they all went on to tell their friends about how awesome it was. If they knew any adjectives besides “awesome”, they’d've used those as well.

    Also, before I get caught up in the moment and forget, no, you don’t have a story to tell. What you have is a chaotic mess of themes and characters that you only wish you knew how to untangle and make whole. The rock-bottom standards for crossover fan fiction have deluded you into thinking that your creative effort is of value, when anyone with a working knowledge of storytelling will assure you that it is not. You have terrible taste, your work hints at potential sexual preferences of questionable acceptability, and your hair is stupid. If I ever experience the misfortune of encountering you, I will die of laughter.


    Click this thumbnail for Glorious Battle! Divine Punishment! Righteous Aggression! And the final ponytailArtist quote.

    The fans are no better. Oh, that’s right, there are Terrastuck fans. Against every standard I pride myself on, everything I appreciate about the people I consider my friends, and against my carefully evaluated perception of objective rational judgement, Terrastuck actually has a fanbase. I have no way of knowing exactly how large it is, but I do know that it is too big. It will never not be too big.

    As long as there is at least one person out there who thinks that Terrastuck is a good piece of fiction that expands upon the Homestuck universe while introducing new concepts and characters to the benefit of the narrative, without altering said characters and themes more than is necessary, things will not be right in the world.

    If you have somehow allowed yourself to think that Terrastuck is anything other than a blatant and unforgivable insult to a genuinely great work of fiction, fuck you. Just thinking about all of you poor saps reading Homestuck and seeing it in a way that makes ponytailArtist’s butchery look like an acceptable practice makes me feel sick to my stomach.

    I considered concluding this essay with a plea to bring about a revolution in fan fiction, to at least try to sow the seeds of a new standard, but I see now that such an aim is doomed to failure.

    (Besides, you guys don’t deserve it.)

    I may have given up on fixing the problem through benevolence, but it is far from too late to simply make it go away through the power of logical, calculated hatred. There is much to be gained from uniting all rational Homestuck fans against their common enemy. If enough people know what’s out there and why they shouldn’t approve of it, this blight against literature can be uprooted and disposed of. Let this message resound through every *chan, tumblr, and IRC:

    Here’s a thing that sucks, here’s why, please take a look and consider helping to bring it down.

    http://www.radiofreeinternet.com/?p=463
    http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread.php?39427
    http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread.php?41032


    Thank you, and good night.

    TL;DR:

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Reign
    “Terrastuck reads like it was written by a creepy anime fan with absolutely no respect for Hussie’s characters. It’s full of bizarre underage sexual connotations, anime cliches out the wazoo, and random cameos that make fuck-all sense.”

    Written by Wolfhead*.

    Guest paragraphs by Operator*, Ghostslime*, headLice*, and Poot.

    Proofread by Ghostslime*.

    Images by Wolfhead* and Goatbro*.

    With help from Operator*, Goatbro*, headLice*, Foursight*, the folks in #Trollchat, Poot, and Thunder Reign.

    Grown Man With A Ponytail scribblet by Andrew Hussie, 5/11/08.

    Special thanks to Operator*, for being an awesome site-managing bro, and to all of the riotous scofflaws of #Trollchat, for being so much fun to hang out with.

    Special no thanks to ponytailArtist, for being the objectively worst Homestuck Fan.

    *Aliases
    tumblr

    trolls

  5. #55
    Avatar by Maya MostlyHarmless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Land of Limbo and Torsos
    Posts
    2,126

    Re: Terrasuck Act 3 - ponytailArtist: Please stop. Everything.


    USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST
    Spoilered Signature Tomfoolery

  6. #56
    Tartan Sketchwitch Dalmationer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers
    Posts
    5,351

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    I love you guys. You are saying what we're all thinking!

    WARNING.
    DANGEROUSLY COOL.

  7. #57
    Savior of Choice NeonProdigy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of Mountains and Dew
    Posts
    626

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    ...Welp, that sure is a thing.

    A thing I read the entirety of, and then quickly ignored for Trollish (seriously, weirdest fandom to ever have to use that phrase in) stupidity.

    Are people seriously attacking this fan-adventure? What the hell is up with that?

    Then again, I think there are a ridiculous number of whiny HS fans that don't like crossovers, so that might be why.

  8. #58
    Rogue of Keys Elkian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of Metal and Cotton
    Pronouns
    they/them/theirs
    Posts
    2,136

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    I can't tell if you guys are trying to be funny or trolling.
    http://i.imgur.com/Vg8WD.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/akHYn.png

  9. #59
    formerly known as NARFNra Monster X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hobopolis
    Posts
    5,739

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    Judging from the above posts...



    ((also i agree w/ the critique))


    ----

    also, trying to be funny?

    i am saddened. im just going to go now
    You know you want to suggest.

  10. #60
    Titans? Fuck that n-ise. Ocfos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Scandinavia! Aarhus, Denmark to be exact.
    Posts
    3,359

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    Quote Originally Posted by NARFNra View Post
    Judging from the above post...



    ((also i agree w/ the critique))
    This.
    Everything of importance is in the spoiler below.
    Currently on pesterchum as tiresomeKleptomaniac - Throw Khia Nemensi a pester! c:

  11. #61

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    Quote Originally Posted by Elkian View Post
    I can't tell if you guys are trying to be funny or trolling.
    That was what everyone else thought about Terrastuck.

  12. #62
    Rogue of Keys Elkian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of Metal and Cotton
    Pronouns
    they/them/theirs
    Posts
    2,136

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    Yeah, but I can't tell if people posted them here because they thought it was funny or what.
    http://i.imgur.com/Vg8WD.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/akHYn.png

  13. #63

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    Quote Originally Posted by NeonProdigy View Post
    A thing I read the entirety of
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonProdigy View Post
    Then again, I think there are a ridiculous number of whiny HS fans that don't like crossovers
    ponytailArtist operates under the delusion that he is writing a “Crossover” story, which is simply not true. Crossover fiction is when two or more characters from legitimate established works interact with one another, under the guidance and direction of the artists responsible for creating them. Anything created by a third party falls under the umbrella of “fan fiction”, no exceptions. A genuine crossover story can be seen here:
    hint:
    don't pretend to read things
    actually read them
    reading makes you smarter

  14. #64
    this isn't even my oc Jacquerel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Pronouns
    he/him/his
    Posts
    6,922

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    It is alright to dislike adventures
    I don't particularly like this adventure
    Hell, it's probably even fine to laugh about how bad it is in private as nobody is ever going to find out about it other than you, I won't lie I've done that a bit myself and much of what you say in true
    But just because something is true doesn't mean it is worth saying, or polite
    You could probably even have left this on your tumblr, we elitists could have laughed at it in private and nobody would have been harmed

    Posting it in the thread is a bit of a dick move though, also you're probably going to be infracted but I'm sure you know that
    This is certainly not a shining beacon of adventure making quality! But also, bad adventures hurt nobody!
    If you think this adventure is awful then just don't read it, writing five thousand words of vitriol about someone and then posting it right where they and their friends can see it really is a step too far

    If someone does not ask for criticism, don't post criticism
    Unsolicited crticisim is incredibly impolite

    This helps nobody.
    This changes nothing.
    All you have done is spew spite and hate on a guy who may have been making something you disliked, but enjoyed doing it and was harming nobody

    That's like walking up to a kid drawing in chalk on the pavement and kicking him repeatedly in the face

    I thnk Terrastuck is awful but I also think you're the greater villains here
    Last edited by Jacquerel; 08-02-2011 at 01:31 PM.

  15. #65
    emptiness and Chasewithlasers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    nihil
    Posts
    1,215

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    For you terrastuck fans (who seem to not be able to discern humor from bullying, and neither one of those from genuine disgust), everything that was just posted was the result of reading such a horrible fan adventure, that actual effort was taken to write all of that, and exact how much Terrastuck sucks in a scale from 0 to Infinite.

    We had to make up a new scale. The old one broke space-time and looped around itself after reaching the top rank of suck.
    tumblr

    trolls

  16. #66
    Savior of Choice NeonProdigy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of Mountains and Dew
    Posts
    626

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    Quote Originally Posted by scintillatingMoniker View Post
    ponytailArtist operates under the delusion that he is writing a “Crossover” story, which is simply not true. Crossover fiction is when two or more characters from legitimate established works interact with one another, under the guidance and direction of the artists responsible for creating them. Anything created by a third party falls under the umbrella of “fan fiction”, no exceptions. A genuine crossover story can be seen here:
    hint:
    don't pretend to read things
    actually read them
    reading makes you smarter
    Hint: That "definition" of a crossover precludes fan-made crossovers, which is quite often what people talk about with regards to crossovers, since that's the whole point of Crossover fanfiction and fanart.

    You know what, I'm going to let this shit blow over. I'm sorry this is happening to you pA, but once the trolls lose interest, I'll come back.

    This shit is ridiculous.

  17. #67

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    Quote Originally Posted by NeonProdigy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scintillatingMoniker View Post
    ponytailArtist operates under the delusion that he is writing a “Crossover” story, which is simply not true. Crossover fiction is when two or more characters from legitimate established works interact with one another, under the guidance and direction of the artists responsible for creating them. Anything created by a third party falls under the umbrella of “fan fiction”, no exceptions. A genuine crossover story can be seen here:
    hint:
    don't pretend to read things
    actually read them
    reading makes you smarter
    Hint: That "definition" of a crossover precludes fan-made crossovers, which is quite often what people talk about with regards to crossovers, since that's the whole point of Crossover fanfiction and fanart.

    You know what, I'm going to let this shit blow over. I'm sorry this is happening to you pA, but once the trolls lose interest, I'll come back.

    This shit is ridiculous.
    HINT:
    DON'T PRETEND TO READ THINGS
    ACTUALLY READ THEM

  18. #68
    LightMage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    It depends on what time it is, Busy reading new adventure Updates.
    Posts
    292

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    Not. Sure. If. Trolls.
    At least if they are trolls, it SEEMS to be some good, time consuming trolling. Ya know, not one of em one liners that are just sad. Like. THISBADBRO. Ectera.
    ...
    I think they used one of them QQ generaters that politions/newspaer people use now. Im seeing a pattern.
    After reading through it.
    Still, not, sure, if, Serious.
    Heck half the comments they "Quoted" don't have links to them. >.>
    And where DID all these "Negitive" Comments come from. I've read both threads and saw maybe 1, or 2. bad comments... and by bad I mean Nooo WHY NEPETA WHYYY. style.
    And some random people who haven't posted in this thread before, I think. Because I'd remember there avatars. First time i've seen them.
    Last edited by LightMage; 08-02-2011 at 01:41 PM.

  19. #69
    this isn't even my oc Jacquerel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Pronouns
    he/him/his
    Posts
    6,922

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    Quote Originally Posted by Katrika View Post
    Look, guys.

    Terrastuck has a part where an underage Vriska strips off her urine soaked panties in front of an equally underage Jade, who finds it hot.

    Why are you defending it?
    Because even if I don't like something doesn't mean I have to go up to the person making it and smear shit all over their face until they cry

  20. #70
    Ace Hole Fishman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Land of Infractions and Condescension
    Posts
    1,080

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    Phase 1

    Denial
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hussie, on SBURB titles
    They can only have one syllable. Any that has more than one syllable is automatically not good.

  21. #71

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacquerel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Katrika View Post
    Look, guys.

    Terrastuck has a part where an underage Vriska strips off her urine soaked panties in front of an equally underage Jade, who finds it hot.

    Why are you defending it?
    Because even if I don't like something doesn't mean I have to go up to the person making it and smear shit all over their face until they cry
    Yes we do.

    Because if we don't, they will never understand that it's wrong and they will never stop.

    If a dog takes a dump in your garden you don't pat it on the head and say "I don't agree with it but you're entitled to do what you want", and while the dump is mildly more entertaining than terrastuck- the fact remains that anyone who reads terrastuck, especially someone new to the homestuck fandom, is going to have a vastly different opinion on the homestuck fandom as a whole.

    People who enjoy terrastuck are going to assume that stuff like this is common and okay, and people who don't, are going to assume the rest of the homestuck fandom assumes stuff like this is common and okay.

    This is not a good thing.

  22. #72
    Tartan Sketchwitch Dalmationer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers
    Posts
    5,351

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    I think Terrastuck should team up to form a crossover with Datastuck RP. They are like almost identical.

    WARNING.
    DANGEROUSLY COOL.

  23. #73
    this isn't even my oc Jacquerel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Pronouns
    he/him/his
    Posts
    6,922

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    People are not dogs
    That argument is just complete bullshit

    You don't train children by screaming at them when they do something wrong
    You don't train artists or writers by crapping on their desks whenever they produce something sub-par

    This is a harmless forum adventure that you can ignore if you don't like it, it has nothing to do with dogs
    That metaphor is as bad as the rest of the writing in this thread

  24. #74
    Grandmaster cyber95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Somewhere cold except for when it's hot.
    Pronouns
    he/him/his
    Posts
    4,677

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    Criticism is fine, but that shit was four pages of "You suck, please stop forever." I don't like this adventure either, but if you are going to post unwanted criticism (which you shouldn't in the first place), you don't have to post such complete hatred. That isn't teamfriendly.

  25. #75
    Rogue of Keys Elkian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of Metal and Cotton
    Pronouns
    they/them/theirs
    Posts
    2,136

    Re: Terrastuck Act 2 - Sloppy makeout FAIL

    Quote Originally Posted by Katrika View Post
    No, but it does mean that I think this thread should be locked for inapproriateness.

    PA drew the legs of an underage girl STRIPPING OFF HER URINE SOAKED PANTIES. Because he found it HOT.
    I notice you mention that twice.
    http://i.imgur.com/Vg8WD.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/akHYn.png

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •