MSPA Forums
Page 76 of 98 FirstFirst ... 26667374757677787986 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 2434

Thread: SBURB Patch Notes II: The Code is Mightier than the Sword

Re: SBURB Patch Notes II: The Code is Mightier than the Sword

While it seemed like the upgrades was doing the trick at the moment, it wasn't going to last, as there were a few Grey-Teir that were prototyped with First Guardians nearing the front, as well as a couple larger Grey-Tier warping in outside the building. If they weren't dealt with soon, there was a good chance they would literally tear the building apart.

I wanna come down right now... Bluesunnyday's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Are you sure that's going to last very long as far as defense goes? You do realize the Grey-Tiers are prototyped with all sorts of things. The Great Carver... I mean God knows how many of those prototypings are immune to Green Sun energy...

Knight of Breath JustAnotherUser's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

"...We're going to have to deal with those ones personally. Anyone else want in on bashing in some Grey-Tier faces? I know I am..."

He pulls out the Solaris Sword. The blade was strong enough to take down a first guardian; you just had to be fast and stealthy.

"Oh, and we tend to use Frog instead of God here, Puppeteer."

Now with 200% More Corn orngjce223's Avatar

Tricia wonders, silently. Neural implant. What right has he to let someone into his own mind? Does he not understand the danger!?

I must be careful with Avery. Unmodified, he's sharp and I enjoy conversing with him - but he's a liability now. I need to watch my tongue.

----

And the child of dusk, Hadron Kaleido, bows her head and wonders if the child of dawn still lives.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Well, Mendigo has a Mimic feature. If I find a Grey-Tier that's particularly strong, we'll have the exact same amount of power on our side as well. It just won't last forever.

Pronouns
    [any]

Orpheus finishes climbing the stairs and takes a left. After walking down this hallway for a minute, he rounds a corner and immediately ducks back behind the wall upon seeing something that looks extremely deadly pointed directly at him. This is confirmed by the balls of crackling green energy that obliterate the wall facing the intersecting corridor. He sighs, turns himself intangible, and walks through the rooms to one side of the turrets, muttering under his breath.

"Why can't I ever just find out where I am without something trying to kill me?"

He stops and thinks for a few seconds, then turns to face the nearest security camera.

"If someone's monitoring this, you may want to alter your defenses to account for someone like me. Of course, if there's no sound recording, then this is pointless, unless you have some sort of lip-reading software or something. Oh well."

Satisfied, he continues on his way.
    Welcome to the interior of my womb;
    This is the final destination for love and ego!

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Suddenly, a discordant yet melodic voice crackles to life over the intercom.

“You are not an employee of Skaianet Laboratories. Leave now before you are executed.”
    I'm always looking for people for my micronation, Safiria, a great star empire featuring dragons, psychic powers, and sports. If you're interested, look here:
    Forum | Wiki

Pronouns
    [any]

Orpheus pauses.

"Why would I be executed? It's not like I've done anything wrong. Well, except for the wall, but you can't blame me for that. Hm. Skaianet. Why does that name sound familiar? Oh yeah, you made Sburb, didn't you. In that case, I'd like to report a bug. Unless you plan on killing me no matter what, in which case I'm just going to get out of here."

CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED! tacticalGenius's Avatar

Another voice, this one buzzing harshly.

"Skaianet is currently engaged in open warfare against a force inimical to our continued existence, and you are in a contested area. As you are not a Skaianet employee or an authorized contractor, you are a potential threat."

And the third voice butts onto the intercom feed, this one both female and not glitched at all - neither buzzing nor stuttering. Orpheus might find himself looking around; it is as clear as if she were standing next to him.

"At least give him a chance to demonstrate if he's with or against us, Avery. Just because he landed here at an inopportune time doesn't mean we can't hire him like we usually do."

vote Annie for skeletonlasses crash826's Avatar

And another vo- oh goddamnit it's Girard again.

"Oh hey, a guy. A guy! Nice! I like meeting people because I get someone else to talk at. How do you work this thing..."

A bit of shuffling-

"Hey! What's up, doc? Doc Invader? And can we help you with anything or are we just gonna have to boot you out?"

Pronouns
    [any]

Orpheus is a bit perplexed by all the voices coming over the intercom. You'd think they'd assign one person to this, not four. He chooses to respond to the most recent voice first, that being the easiest one to answer.

"I did just say that I'd like to report a bug. Unless you're just going to kill me, in which case I'm going to use said bug to get the hell out of here. And...hiring? Why? I don't think I have any qualifications or anything."

He pauses for a second, rubbing his forehead.

"Maybe you could all talk it out and get back to me when you've decided on what you're going to do? I can wait; it's not like I have anywhere to be."

He regains his tangibility and sits down against a wall. He has a sneaking suspicion that he's going to be there for a while...

It was at that moment that one of the First Guardian prototyped Grey-Tier phased in behind Orpheus.

Yes, that's right, most of the wall was now missing.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

"OI!"

The First-Guardian-Prototyped Grey Tier looks- and a collosal golden blade tears it in half from the sky behind it.

Quadraslash is awesome.

Daniel walks up to Orpheus.

"Gotta love a bait-and-switch. Anyway, they sent me to pick you up. Follow me, and move FAST."

IM: I'M ON MY WAY BACK!
    IM2: Threats to Skaianet, feel free to run, scream, or piss yourself! It won't matter what you do because once I'm back, I'm going to END whatever that is threatening Skaianet right away! This is not a threat, nor an opinion, it's a fact and if you want to try to stop me, go right ahead. You won't succeed.
    Just your average insane Videogame-, Manga- and of course Homestuck-geek here.
    Loads of signature stuff below, may increase in quantity.

Pronouns
    [any]

Orpheus gets up from his new position on the floor, nods, and follows Daniel, giving the corpse of the Grey-Tier a glance as he passes it.

"What was that?"

The harsh buzzing voice again. Apparently, SOMEONE left the intercom switched on.

"Why do you think I said potential threat, Tricia? Yeah, he could be an ally, you've got a point there. On the other hand, he could just as easily go the other way. He's an unknown quantity. Until he proves himself one way or the other, we need to be careful."

A slight cough, as if this "Avery" were clearing his throat.

"As for what that was... that was one of the enemies. It's called a Grey-Tier."

"...Oh, look at that. Seems Mr. Mirokat's on his way back. And about bloody time too."

"...Hey, who left the intercom switched on?!"

A click, and then silence.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Well, we could use the help, really. Assuming he doesn't try to murder us, that is...

Pronouns
    he/him/his

"Yeah, Avery pretty much hit the nail on the head; it's a homicidal part-First-Guardian grey carapace monster, typical really. And n the bright side, they're not all part-First-Guardian. Say, would you mind filling out this form while we walk? It's a standard Bug Report/Job interview. I'm sure it won't take long."

Daniel hands Orpheus a clipboard with the form on it and a pen. He then takes out his phone.

IM: Found him. Considering he was being attacked by them, he's either with us or third party. Or trying to trick us.
    Let's hope with us.

IM2: And it's good to have you back, Goranius.
    Last edited by JustAnotherUser; 11-08-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Tricia sighs, and leaves Avery to his... mutterings. She prods the intercom again.

"Hey you two, there's a bunch of Grey-Tier coming down the corridor to your left. You might want to hurry up."

But first: that download.

* Obfuscation and new firewall rules added to slow down the Grey King's code download.
    * All Grey-Tier have been removed from rolls of Skaianet employees in good standing.
    * Code representations/avatars/etc. of Skaianet employees in good standing now have abilities analogous to their Aspect abilities in their real selves.

She's going to have to hope that's enough. Tricia sighs, passes a hand over her face.

And promptly freezes, because according to the monitors, the Grey-Tier in the corridor directly in front of them are getting very close.

"Oh Jack Noir with a first guardian prototyping. They're nearly here!"

----

A flash of light, dawn breaking on the horizon, and he awakens. For a moment, the disorientation - where, exactly, is he? - and then the surroundings assert themselves.

Mobius is in a hospital bed. Avery must have gotten him out in time, then. The second thing that he notices is that he is - not
    well, exactly, the long illness has sapped his strength - but recovering. At the very least, his chest no longer crackles with every breath.

Pneumonia, then, it was. He eases himself free of some of the monitors, reaching over to shut off the alarms, and pulls a computer out of his sylladex.

The network is not what it once was. Oh, there are still servers up, but many are gone, presumed permanently destroyed. He dismisses this as a consequence of the retcon wave and, already exhausted from little enough exertion, slips back into sleep.

----

She scrambles, almost tripping over the chair she was sitting in. Hadron regains her bearings just in time to grab Tricia's arm to prevent her from falling.

"Thanks."

"...It was nice working with you."

"Likewise."

Tricia moves through the room smoothly, shaking hands, praising each of the Admins for their strengths and their work, and leaving unspoken the obvious: that not all of them might leave this room alive.

"Daniel, I enjoyed bouncing ideas off you and fighting at your back. You are sane and stable and happy here, and how I wish everyone was like you!

"Girard, once upon a time you tried to destroy the world, but I know that such impulses are not your fault, and I applaud your efforts to curb and direct them, because they truly are your greatest asset.

"Avery, thank you for your service to Skaianet. Your mind is far sharper than your sword and tongue put together, and I appreciate that you hold Skaianet as superior to your own life.

"Hadron, I'm sorry Mobius isn't here with us. You and Mobius are opposite sides of the same coin, two different temperaments that strengthen each other, preventing the position of Founder from devolving into tyranny, and ensuring that Skaianet has the real strength to handle even that which cannot be spoken of.

"And to the rest of you, the employees: I want you to know that we do right. I want you to understand that there is no room for despair when we are protecting the multiverse from the gravest threats to its existence. I want you to use your will to strengthen your blades, serve as sights for your guns, hold your eyes and magic steady. I want you to know that we create universes, and we will never falter in this goal.

"We are Skaianet, and we shall prevail!"

Pronouns
    he/him/his

"Thanks, Tricia. Trust me, optimism is harder than it looks."

Daniel had rushed Orpheus into the door just as Tricia had began her speech. He decides to pipe up himself.

"Now, I'm not much for speeches, and this probably won't have the same impact after Tricia's magnificent speech, but I would like to say something. We're in a lot of trouble right now... but we have the power to create universes, people. We have the ability to edit reality with a few clatters of a keyboard. We're freaking GOD TIERS, and we have a lot of skill in a fight. I know they have the numbers on us, but we have the strength. My blade is sharp. My mind is sharp. And I want to get that Head Grey-Tier [REDACTED] back for stabbing me. And I'm sure you all have your motives to fight. We're going to stand up for our lives, and quite possibly everyone else's, in this conflict, and if there's not something left to salvage at the end I will have disappointed myself. You guys are my friends, and it's an honour to work- and fight- beside you.

In conclusion, I'd just like to say thanks for being around. We've had good times, and... not-so-good times, but no matter what we've overcome them. In the end, we can win, and we will."

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Well, I doubt this will end the greatest. However, I offer my services in the name of the preservation of... well, most everything. I'm not willing to let all of this just be destroyed.

vote Annie for skeletonlasses crash826's Avatar

Girard removes his multitude of shield-weapons from his specibus, sorting through them rapidly in a search for something.

"Ms. Glasswell, I think that may be the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. Ah! Here we go."

A simple circular shield coated with a black substance, almost like tar; it glows faintly and seems to emit a sensation of... force. Gravity.

Girard equips THE BEST DEFENSE.

"If somebody kills me... smack the hell out of them. Just a last request."

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Daniel looks at Girard.

"They send one of ours to the morgue, they lose that squadron courtesy of me."

He cracks his knuckles, and draws his sword from a brand new Strife Sheath on his back.

Speaking of which...

*Added Strife Sheaths, to be bought from the Vanity shop; gives you an on-hand weapon store.

Avery nodded to Tricia, mentally switching off the feeds from the cameras he'd been monitoring. "Damn straight, Tricia," he said, his voice still abuzz with distortion.

"Hell, if this Grey King thinks he's the biggest badass this side of the Furthest Ring, he's sadly mistaken. After all, it's not him who's been keeping Lord English at bay - it's us. I say we give him a taste of just who he's [UNPRINTABLE CHARACTERS] with!"

Avery grabbed Reason from where he'd put it, clipping the ammo pack's harness to his armor and hefting the multibarreled business end of the magrail cannon.

"I say we make him listen to Reason!"

A few quick gestures from the multiform, and suddenly a new patch appeared in the system.

* All battles between Skaianet personnel and any force which threatens their existence will be accompanied by a suitable Musical Aura.
    ** Today's selection is Machinae Supremacy's "Anthem Apocalyptica". SKAIANET, ROCK OUT!