MSPA Forums
Page 85 of 98 FirstFirst ... 35758283848586878895 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 2434

Thread: SBURB Patch Notes II: The Code is Mightier than the Sword

trilbyulationDungeoneer trilbyulatingDungeoneer's Avatar
    Land of Wind and Memory, Land of Chains and Entropy

Re: SBURB Patch Notes II: The Code is Mightier than the Sword

IM: Oh trust me I know what it is. We had to use it in my session, one of our planets was overrun by triffids.
    IM: Yeah, there are a lot of triffid things in my history. For some reason.

Knight of Breath JustAnotherUser's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Daniel has taken a breif moment to pop into his office and pick something up. Lying on hs desk in a plastic sheet, fresh from dry-cleaning, is a longcoat.
    He changes into his regular, everyday clothes and puts it on.

He stalks out into the corridor, dual wielding his revolvers. A grey tier goes for him. It becomes a splattered mess on a nearby wall.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

"Welcome to the Grid. Make yourself at home."

He strides into the small quarters he created when he and Avery got Ani's mind back on track, and finds a computer, booting it up. Sydney follows close behind, taking in her surroundings.

"Nice place, eh? Cyberspace is my kinda place, really."

"It's... interesting. I kinda miss my Land, though."

"Well, it's amazing what you can do to an unused planet in an officeverse if you know the right code. Speaking of which, let's begin with the basics. HTML."

A brief explanation later...

"So, let's give it a try then, eh?"

"Okay..." Sydney's head was swimming a bit from the sudden influx of information, but if Sburb taught her anything it was the importance of applied learning. At least here, a mistake wouldn't result in injury or worse... or so she hopes. "Let's see... if I put this here, with these tags there..."

2 minutes and a quick use of Life powers later...

"...Let's try that again, only without almost knocking me out with a chunk of exploding wall."

"Sorry."

"Hey, there's no need to worry, I've been through worse. Stabbed straight in the gut, for one."

That reminded Sydney of the person currently resting in her mind. "Wait, if my Life powers work here, I could probably bring Hadron out and heal her, right?"

"...How did I forget to tell you I fixed that... Yeah, you could, but let's get the matter at hand sorted first."

Sydney doesn't exactly feel comfortable with that, but at least she knows her patient's condition won't get worse in the meantime. "Alright, if you say so."

"Right then, let's do this."

A day or so of practise later...

"You've come pretty dang far."

"Th-thank you." Even after Sburb, it seemed Sydney was still unaccustomed to receiving praise.

"Geez, you're really modest. Then again, I suppose Horrorterrors weren't much for praise..."

"You have no idea."

"Hmm. Anyway, now you've mastered coding, let's take it a step further and master Codetechs. Allow me to demonstrate."

He gets to his feet, and walks outside. He shuts his eyes, focuses and...

LEVEL 99 CODETECH: AT THE CODE OF OBLIVION

The beam blasts forth out of his hands, tearing up the ground quite a bit.

If Sydney had a proper mouth, it would be slack. "I'm supposed to do that?!"

"Trust me, if you know how to code you pick it up very fast."

"O... okay..."

"Let's start at a low level. As in, One. Here, allow me a little while, then I'll demonstrate. Stupid cooldown..."

Ninety seconds later...

LEVEL 1 CODETECH: </Pain>

Two large, pointed brackets slam into a training dummy.

"Now you try. Just try to visualise the code doing as you want it to do so you can perform the technique."

"Okay, here goes..." Sydney extends her arm towards the dummy.

LEVEL 10 CODETECH: </Slice>

A bracket flies from Sydney's outstretched hand, cleaving the dummy in half.

"...Okay, you're pretty damn good at this. Let's kick it up a notch"

LEVEL 15 CODETECH: </Ouch>

Another training dummy has sprung up- and a giant binary fist collides with it.

A thought occurred to Sydney. "In theory, Codetech could be used to do anything, right?"

"Well, I suppose... but make sure you do it within reason. Also, exhaustive use of Code Power can cause the need for a cooldown."

Sydney nods. "Okay, let's see if this works..."

LEVEL 27 CODETECH: PHOTOSHOP IS FOR WIMPS

The next dummy begins to shake before changing shape, growing to twice it's normal size and gaining features that shouldn't exist in any normal reality.

LEVEL 19 CODETECH: </INVERT>

The dummy shakes some more, then is instantly turned inside out, its stuffing spraying all throughout the room.

"Wow." Sydney took a deep breath. "That was... very satisfying."

Daniel pulls a large lump of fluff off his face. "...You have come far, young Padawan."

Sydney turns to Daniel. "Pada-what?"

"...Then again, you also have much to learn."

LEVEL -5 CODETECH: EYES ON THE WALL

*A window opens*

*Pixelated eyes gaze from there*

*They seem eager to learn*

Pronouns
    he/him/his

LEVEL 15 CODETECH: </Burn>

A small fireball of binary is flung at the eyes.

"Those things are starting to creep me out."

Simon Delve has been hard at work killing Grey-Tiers. As they've grown more powerful, he's retrieved more powerful weapons. The Jersey Mobster's Best Friend dashes about, sending Shark's-Tooth Peppershots through Forest Guardian-Kamen Rider Kiva-Chouginga Dayakkaiser Lagann-Prototyped Giclopse. Simon wasn't sure how Underlings were here, but as long as he could protect SkaiaNet, he didn't really care.

Seeing a Second Guardian-Brown Sun-Enderman-Prototyped Lich, Simon decided to try out a new Technique he had coded for himself.

LEVEL DEX12.34 SHOUT-OUTTECH: SUMMON SUPERSTAR SCEPTER

With the power of references at his side, Simon called out a weapon utilized by one of the greatest Adventuresmiths of all time.

In his right hand, Simon now held a Magickal Scepter with a blue-and-white-striped handle, a glass orb with a Power Star in the center for a head, and a Super Mushroom on the other.

Turning the glass orb towards the powerful, skeletal Underling, he smiled, and spoke.

"By the might of the Power Star... And awesomeness of a great Adventuresmith...! I UNLOCK THE DOOR TO HELL! GO TO WHERE THOU BELONGST, FOUL MONSTER!!!!!!"

LEVEL 66.66 SUPERSTAR SCEPTERTECH: UNLOCK THE DOOR TO HELL

A five-pronged golden beam shoots from the head of the Scepter, and it creates a gigantic, blood-stained, steel door. The doors open, and a flaming skull with stars for eyes can be seen laughing from inside. The target of the attack, along with several dozen other Underlings and a few Grey-Tier, are pulled through as the door closes and locks behind them.

"Eternal Damnation. One of the best freaking ways to kill a monster that I know of. I'll have to remind myself to bring out the Spaghettification Spear sometime soon..."
    Avatar made by the great Dexexe1234!
    Everything in the Spoiler!

The One Who Remains incomprehensibleAeons's Avatar

Noticing all the commotion, Alnylthyria steps forward.

"Perhaps I can be of assistance."

*The second window closed*

*The eyes had learned enough for now*

Khalik shrugs from his temporary seat atop a pile of Basilisks. It's time for him to get a move on.

IM: I'm moving to the war room. Anybody who wants to follow me can feel free to do so.

The only power he'd ever had was the subtle suggestion in the back of his mind, telling him where to go. Occasionally, it was silent, but at other times it was almost crystal clear. This was one of those times.

CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED! tacticalGenius's Avatar

Alnytlhyria follows Khalik, as this "war room" sounds important.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Night on the third day of Sydney's training. Daniel stands, the Tsubaki Mk. III unactivated and held in his hand. He has extreme focus going on here, eyes set on a training dummy. He has tried countless times already, but this time is different. The is... a sort of magic in the data-based air of the Grid. He presses down the B Button, and moves forward-

He vanishes and instantly appears a few meters behind the dummy, blade active.

A burn mark slowly forms- and it falls apart, neatly bisected at the middle of the chest. Daniel deactivates the weapon and returns it to his belt. He smiles. Training always paid off in the end.

Just your average insane Videogame-, Manga- and of course Homestuck-geek here.
    Loads of signature stuff below, may increase in quantity.

*A little hooded being with weird eyes pops out of the larger half*

*It scurries around, looking for something*

*It opens the small gate it just found, then dives in, the door sealing off behind it*

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Daniel just stares.

"...Well, that's interesting."

Narada sits against a wall, and cricks her back out. Fighting for other people is such a drag, she thinks.

But, then... They would do the same for her. It was probably coded into a Mewtwo's DNA that they have to have sociopathy issues.

She tears a grey tier apart.

"Could you answer for me a couple questions?"
    Banners and stuff below!

Thanks to Crimson Lunar, PackratImp, and crepuscularDissembler for help with my avatar! (That is to say, everything but the flames in the background.)

"Huh? Sure. What do you want to know."

Now with 200% More Corn orngjce223's Avatar

Tricia bent over her holoputer and flicked through screen upon screen of code. Not quite, not really, ah!

Rapid-fire typing ensued. Ani looked on questioningly, but remained silent after Tricia glared at xir. Once.

Finally, she leaned back from the computer, rolling her shoulders, and silently posted the following patch to the Sburb network for replication:

* Death by stupidity - e.g., jumping off a cliff for shits and giggles or running up a hallway full of active sentry guns - is now considered a Just death on the grounds that anyone who'd pull a stunt like that is too dumb to live.

IM: Yes, this was sufficiently necessary that I'd take a break from chewing my way through Grey-Tier corpses to put this into effect. Trust me, it'll help.

The distinct sound of a record scratch resounded in the brains of all, as the sheer amount of deaths impacted by this update propagated across the multiverse -

And then - well, the Skaianet fighters would soon enough notice that fully half of the Grey-Tiers they had been fighting were dead. The corpses were piled in the hallways as well as within the war room.

Help? It may well have turned the tide.

----

Avery watched these developments, detached, through a small display in a corner of his eye.

"I dare say, it looks to me that a lot of their forces just got..."

Here Avery trailed off, the multiform smirking behind the opaque visor of his helmet.

"...eGRAYsed."

And a strange presence began to make itself felt - a sense that there was a storm gathering. An awful, terrible hurricane whose devastation would leave none untouched.

IM: This was implemented 3 times already. Yes, I've counted. It just seems that every time we fix it, they find newer, stupider ways to die.

*A small window opens above as this message gets typed*

*Googly eyes look trough*

*Having learnt what they could, their owners close the window and a faint typing noise is heard*

IM: HELLo I jSusT WaNTEd tO TANk yUO fRor tE LeesOns.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

IM: Out of the Grid. Sydney is now fully educated in coding, codetechs and star wars. Yeah.

IM2: ...Oh, Avery. I think it's time we unleashed Project Miami on these chumps.

"What exactly does Skaianet do?"
    Banners and stuff below!

Thanks to Crimson Lunar, PackratImp, and crepuscularDissembler for help with my avatar! (That is to say, everything but the flames in the background.)

IM: WORLDS. Or rather, we provide a game that allow its players to fight to become gods then build their own worlds.

"Skaianet is the source of, and protector of, all universes. We give the tools to those worthy, and weed out those who have no hope. Through machination and machinery, we sort the wheat from the chaff, the strong from the weak, and create the most able universes possible. We do this for reasons that few can grasp, and that change constantly, regardless of any opinions. We guard and spread reality. We are the opposite of oblivion. We are skaianet."

IM: Some would call us villains as our game involve world-ending or near-world-ending events to assure the entry of the players. It's actually not true. The worlds remain safe on our servers, ready to be reborn either when the players fail, as a "scratched" version where the players' starting conditions are different, or, if the players win, as it would have been if the players didn't play.