MSPA Forums
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: THE Squiddle Session Project

Re: THE squiddle project

Quote Originally Posted by Mythee View Post
    @Rota: Blood is one of the canon aspects so even though it makes a lot of sense for squiddles, I think a lot of people would object to its omission. o-o;; But it'd be nice to include Ink. What do you think should be replaced?

Also, the colors were nor entirely randomly assigned: the way it is now, squiddles sharing the same color have ink colors that are at least two colors apart on the, er, melanospectrum (greek for ink as opposed to greek for blood? xD) so as to tell them apart with certainty- and one six-squiddle color group (ex.: monochromes, oranges) have a full melanospectrum distributed within said group, once again, to minimize possible confusion between Squiddles. Also, if people picked their combination I wouldn't want to be the person made to keep track of which things have been claimed. xD;;

It's much, much simpler to properly organize things into sets that really WORK, and then allow people to pick from those. :3nod:
    Oh, yes. I get it now.

However because there is no aesthetic or thematic link between colour and symbol, I think it seems fair for people to choose their symbol from a list. Then each person's partner can be assigned according to which letter they picked.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I got the white squiddle (one of them) but I can switch to grey if you really want it.... this is going to be hard to do... I have an idea... I'd do it if I was on my computer but I'm not. Take the picture of all 48 squiddles and paste your name over the squiddle you want, and the next person takes the picture you edited and puts their name on it. and so on and so forth until they are all taken.

That'd help, I still don't know which ones are taken or not.

No, It's okay, first come first serve, a other colours work just as well, and now my squiddles won't have christmas-coloured blood/ink. I will go get my image and re-choose the ones I want. One moment.

EDIT:
    Turns out they will have christmas coloured blood/ink ^.^

I put a square around pair 1 that I want and ovals around pair two that I want. I just did the symbols rather then the whole section. Everyone add your own choices to this image and then repost it.
    It's in blue, not that I like blue that much but what with my username it is unconfusing for you.

ALso, how will we handle 24/48 different prototypings?
    Last edited by BlueRaffeKin; 09-12-2011 at 11:04 PM.
    Sparkly Unicorn Princess Of The Noble And Most Ancient House Of Sparklepoo

Komodo Mc.IntergalacticWarfare Mythee's Avatar

FFFF GUYS WAIT UP THAT IMAGE IS NOT THE FINAL MATCHUP OF SYMBOLS TO SQUIDS. DO NOT CLAIM ANYTHING ON IT AS CHANGES WILL HAPPEN AND THEN YOU WILL HAVE A SAD TO LOSE THE THING YOU WANTED.

I friggin
    GUARANTEE
    What is on that picture right now is NOT the final matchup of symbols to squiddles. It is obvious from all the discussion from the past page and everything. Ffff.
    So yeah hold your seahorses kplzthx! xD

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRaffeKin View Post
    ALso, how will we handle 24/48 different prototypings?
    Most of the Squiddles are brutally destroyed by the meteors before they even enter the session? :B

No that doesn't work. Fishful I mean wishful thinking though, since a dark twist in the Squiddle story would be awesome.

FFFF...xD
    Okay well I'm SORRY that i did it wrong but it's not like it costs YOU anything if I make a mistake!

I'll stop trolling you now. I see your point. That was just an impolite way to say it.
    Okay... We could let players match up the colours and symbols they want themselves...(still no repeats) Maybe that would work better!
    Last edited by BlueRaffeKin; 09-13-2011 at 03:32 AM.

I agree that that is the best way to do it.

If I can say one tiny thing, I'm not a huge fan of the darkest rainbow Squiddles. This might not matter, as someone may adore the dark-rainbows and adopt both of them, but otherwise I suggest they are replaced by the magenta Squiddles that were removed in BlueRaffe's second-last revision.

@Raffe and Rota: Agree, agree, that's a great idea. xD
    @ Ceph: I think the total 48 prototypings (2 prototypings per pair of squiddle players) is possible if we make it into a joke that a lot of squiddles are rather uncreative with their choice and keep putting similar things in that are common for them ex.: coral/bubbles/ink. xD Idk?

That sounds about right (and also pretty amusing).

Wow, this idea insanely snowballed into something much more than I was thinking.

Anways, I think we should use Ink as the equivalent to Blood for the squiddles.

CoMe To ThE #mSpA iRc!
    main | reblog blog | Tricksters Blog!!!!! | Little Troll Stuck (MORE LINKS BELOW)

Pronouns
    he/him/his

since the symbols don't match the squiddles, let's just circle the Colours that we want, and get symbols for those colours later.

@Tech, Gordon: I'm ok with that too, good idea. xD
    @Rota: Yay 8D

Edit: I tried replacing dark rainbow with magenta and it looked confusing, then I tried replacing it with midrange (not the pastel or darker colors) rainbow but it looked too similar to pastel rainbow. :< But yeah, maybe we can change that later, I don't know. People seem eager to claim their squiddles so here is a labelled version of the squiddles chart that will facilitate the process. Instead of having to draw on the chart and reupload it, you can now simply quote this Spoiler and add to the list of claimed squiddles! ...If you gaize want to to it that way. xDD

Last edited by Mythee; 09-13-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Derp I mad list

props to ectoToreador for avvy ectoBiologist's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

okay, so can we agree that everybody is allowed to pick two colour squiddles that they want, and two symbols that they want from the ones posted earlier? people may be allowed to get more squiddles later, it's just to stop loads of people from taking four squiddles at once and running out of squiddles
    3DS Friend Code: 1504-6947-9507. Hit me up.
    Check out my super spooky fanventure, Bonesore!

"What kind of power is heart?" Tren's Avatar

Oh jeez how do you guys post so much early in the morning.
    Anyways, let's leave out discrimination and social classes. Those are troll things. Leave troll things with the trolls.
    These are fictional anthropomorphic squids.

Quote Originally Posted by ectoBiologist View Post
    okay, so can we agree that everybody is allowed to pick two colour squiddles that they want, and two symbols that they want from the ones posted earlier? people may be allowed to get more squiddles later, it's just to stop loads of people from taking four squiddles at once and running out of squiddles
    I vote yes.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...EAF4E7D21F.png

Hmm, good call with the two squiddles (for now) thing. Yeah, we pick our squiddles from the list and we can claim whichever alphabet we want from the greek thing. Also it looks like rather than using the uppercase/lowercase as an identifyer for a squiddle's color scheme, it can be any squiddle with any symbol and the uppercases/lowercases would be paired up.

(Note: This is not my personal opinion. I am just summing up what the others have said. xD
    If you want my personal opinion... well basically I'm fine with what's been said 8'D )

Gentelmen Pyralspite RedCapAvenger's Avatar

OMG! I take off for the weekend and the topic jumps 4-5 pages. So much to catch up on.

Ok, honestly I think we are being a little hasty drawing up squids already. We know their names, but we don't know who they are. Right now they don't have any character, no personality. With these, coming up with a design that illustrates those personalities would be easier. But I'm not going to be a huge douchbag and tell people not to draw, I understand that creative urge you get and sometimes its not the easiest thing to ignore.

~~~

My thoughts on the design of the squiddes in canon is that its a super simplified rendition of what they actually look like, with a higher deviation from the actuality the further from the source you go. In other not so lengthy words, like how information pasted in the game of telephone is different at the end from when it was first pasted along. Example in point, both Jade and Kanaya have a squiddle lunch top with a depiction of a pair of squiddles on the cover.

To me, it looks like the squiddles went from what might have been close simplified version of a squiddle on Kanaya's lunchtop, to the super simplified happy cheery characters we see on Jade's lunchtop. So if we extrapolated back one session to the squiddle session we might find that they look different from what we see in canon.

So, what I'm trying to say here is that we shouldn't limit ourselves from what canon has provided for us. But instead, take a more creative path and come up with our own rendition on the squiddle using the canon look as inspiration. That way we are putting our unique spin on the theme that will distinguish this project from any other project past, present, and future.

We could do this by modifying the existing HS base sprite into a squid shape and use that as a base for creating all the characters. Here is an example I put together.

If we can put something like this together I believe it will give our project more character. Albeit maybe something a little less shitty then what I posted. Then if we wanted to take it a step further we could do some awesome hero mode works that I think would be the most badass of all.

I'm not saying that I'm condemning or demeaning the work that is already been done. I'm just saying that I think we can bring it to the next level and make something truly amazing.

/inspirational if bit high-n-mighty speech

It would also make thing easier if some of us want to make a MSPAFA adventure out of the work we have done in this project because most if not all the design would be complete.

~~~

On the note of blood and ink, I want to propose that we stay away from different colored blood/ink and stick to one color, like red and black. I just think that we are drawing to much from the trolls and not making the squiddles their own unique species. We can make the squids different colors, that idea I like and support. It whats "on the inside" that I think should all be the same, except maybe in a special case like one of them has different color of ink because of a mutation or something. But that maybe be drawing too much from the trolls and isn't unique enough.

On the point of having a rainbow squid as the "Hero" of Blood makes sense as there are some suggestions that the "Hero" of Blood as something to do about the blood type of the creatures in the universe they create. In fact, that squid could be the one with the mutant ink (or whatever we may decide).

~~~

I would also like to say my mind on the whole "who called what" issue. One person shouldn't be limited by what another person has called, and just because someone has called a symbol and came up with their own idea for that symbol doesn't mean that another shouldn't be able come up with a completely different idea for the same symbol. Which kinda brings me back to my first point that the character's personalities should be more defined before we get too crazy about the art. My perspective is that everyone should just draw for whatever symbol they want. So even if that means we get 5 or 20 designs for every squid that gives us some decisions of what we like best for each character and come to a consensus on what we like and don't like for a specific squid.

So if I had to agree or disagree that each person gets to pick two squiddles. I would have to disagree.

~~~

Next, on the idea of two squiddles per planet. I can accept this compromise, making 48 unique planets is an especially daunting task. My only suggestion is instead of making two squids share the two aspects of a planet, split the planets and aspects in half and have one region and aspect for one squid and have the other for the second squid. That way each squid will have their own planetary aspect that is unique to them, and it doesn't feel like there are some redundant or seemingly useless characters. We could also introduce two consorts per planet too.

Example: Instead of two heroes for the Land of Heat and Clockwork, we split the planet into the Heat hemisphere and the Clockwork hemisphere. One squid will reign in a hemisphere that will be solidly Heat related and the other squid will reign in a Clockwork related hemisphere.

At the boarder between the two hemispheres, the two aspects will overlap and maybe provide clues to the reason the two squiddles are on one planet instead of two, because somehow their personal quests and/or hero classes are connected to each other in some way.

~~~

And that about it for me. My apologies if I sounded like a heavy handed jerk at some points, it isn't want I intended. Any thoughts on what I have brought up would be welcome.
    Last edited by RedCapAvenger; 09-13-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    This signature has been hidden because it exceeds the boundaries of time and space.

Okay, I will claim 1b and 4b
    Cyan is such a pretty colour
    If it is possible I would like to claim them with lowercase xi and zeta.
    Also, NO those humanoid squiddles are UGLY even if they are less simple then what jade has NO THAT IS A BAD IDEA. BAD BAD BAD.
    Sorry I just don't like that Idea at all.
    Last edited by BlueRaffeKin; 09-13-2011 at 07:02 PM.

No you did not sound like a jerk at all and I've got to say every idea you've proposed sounds way better than we have so far. xD Why are you so awesome. Using this different (and friggin MAGNIFICENT) sprite idea eliminates the need for different ink colors as those were there to facilitate telling same-colored squiddles apart.

I think that the current design you have basically resembles a salamander on tentacles rather than a squid however- though the tentacles are super perfect and I vote we keep the upright body structure, I would like to try experiment with some facial structure/feature positionment modifications if you don't mind my interfering with your sprite! >.<;;

I think randomizing for the symbol like we decided we would do for class+aspect roles also simplify things a lot.

But I guess there's nothing wrong with us claiming the base color of squiddles we like. xD; Having at least the choice of not landing a color we dislike is nice.

Alright, I like the whole upright squiddles thing. It actually makes them seem like a group of people rather than characters from a kids cartoon. I mean they aren't the best to look at now, but like Mythee said, we could edit the facial structure a little. I vote saying we keep that body structure.

"What kind of power is heart?" Tren's Avatar

Hey, look! Someone from the IRC that this topic was made for!
    I'm going to be totally biased and say your idea is awesome. It would also solve the symbol problem and give Sburb something to work with.
    The base sprite might need some tweaking, though. Even so, it opens up a whole new realm of possibilities and I, for one, like it.

Here's another point I want to make: Should we even split everything up and let a bunch of people just make a few Squiddles? I would rather focus on the characterization and how they would all interact.
    Personally I think we should all kind of come up with them together, then maybe do some art afterward. (Art has never been a big thing in this project! Remember that!) I guess it could work if a few were made by a bunch of individuals on their own and then approving/rejecting some, but it doesn't seem right to me.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...EAF4E7D21F.png

Gentelmen Pyralspite RedCapAvenger's Avatar

No you did not sound like a jerk at all and I've got to say every idea you've proposed sounds way better than we have so far. xD Why are you so awesome. Using this different (and friggin MAGNIFICENT) sprite idea eliminates the need for different ink colors as those were there to facilitate telling same-colored squiddles apart.

I think that the current design you have basically resembles a salamander on tentacles rather than a squid however- though the tentacles are super perfect and I vote we keep the upright body structure, I would like to try experiment with some facial structure/feature positionment modifications if you don't mind my interfering with your sprite! >.<;;

I think randomizing for the symbol like we decided we would do for class+aspect roles also simplify things a lot.

But I guess there's nothing wrong with us claiming the base color of squiddles we like. xD; Having at least the choice of not landing a color we dislike is nice.
    Go ahead and mess around with it. In fact I encourage everyone that wants to go ahead and do so. The example I throw out was just a simple modification of the standard sprite with some random facial features I pulled from the image manipulation thread that I put together to get my point across. If someone thinks they can take that idea and improve on it I would love to see your work on it.

As far as picking colors, I don't think the color is important yet, so I say work with the color that your gut tells you and you think do well with the character, then roll with it. If we have too much of any one color or not enough of another we can always change it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Tren View Post
    Here's another point I want to make: Should we even split everything up and let a bunch of people just make a few Squiddles? I would rather focus on the characterization and how they would all interact.
    Personally I think we should all kind of come up with them together, then maybe do some art afterward. (Art has never been a big thing in this project! Remember that!) I guess it could work if a few were made by a bunch of individuals on their own and then approving/rejecting some, but it doesn't seem right to me.
    Yeah, this is what I was pointing out in my last post. I think we should focus on characterization more than the art right now. But, like I also said I'm not going to say no to it either. If we have a few people working on sprite design and the rest on character design, it would be the most constructive use of time. We don't have to approve or reject anything in the near future, but just have a couple people coming up with the basics that will become the base squiddle look. That way we don't deny those with strong artistic talent to put up with character design when their strong suit is drawing, but on the other hand be making strong headway on fleshing out characters, their personalities, how they see their world, what their motivations are, etc. If we have names already, we should assign them archetypes like "the leader", "the fighter", "the smart one", "the quiet one", "the stoner", etc etc. This will be a easy lead into getting more detailed on the personalities, motivations, etc.

~~~

Oh and a couple other things that I thought of since my last post:

1.) I was giving some thought to the connection between the squiddles and the horrorterrors. I remember reading about something somewhere where someone(sorry for being so ambiguous but i just cant remember the specifics if it was in canon or on the forums) said that that the squiddles where just a representation of the horrorterrors. Since there is no evidence that the squiddles made it to the troll universe, I would think that it could be a logical conclusion that they might be associated with the horrorterrors. While that idea had an appeal to me, I don't think I would want to run with it. So instead of designing the squiddles with the horrorterrors in mind, I was thinking of making guardians for the squiddles that would, in the future, become the horrorterrors that we see in canon; namely the ones mentioned in Rose's Book of the Zoologically Dubious and the ones that we see in [S] Jade: Wake Up. Or, at least the main horrorterrors, as we still do not know the nature for which they are being attacked in canon.

2.) Ok, this one is more directed at Tren then anyone else. I was just thinking that we should update the OP with what we have done so far, what we are working on currently, and what still needs to be done in the future. I would also suggest a checklist to do this, that way we can simply "check-off" the things that we get done when they are finished. This way we will not have to leave new readers to read the entire thread just to catch up with what we are working on currently. That way they can get in on the action right away and then spend time when they have it to skim the rest of the thread. I could even put the list together myself if you do not have the time to do so.
    Last edited by RedCapAvenger; 09-13-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    This signature has been hidden because it exceeds the boundaries of time and space.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I thought for a while that the squiddles shouldn't necessarily look like they do on the show.... but I dunno about this design, I'm gonna throw out a few concept sprites.

something cute, and something less so...

I guess I might be able to handle them without the clothing. I still don't like the humanisation though.
    Not that anyone is paying any attention to me though so nevermind.
    Last edited by BlueRaffeKin; 09-14-2011 at 12:55 AM.

props to ectoToreador for avvy ectoBiologist's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

those upright squiddles are just creeping me the heck out, and i don't really think they fit with the idea of a squiddles session particularly :/
    3DS Friend Code: 1504-6947-9507. Hit me up.
    Check out my super spooky fanventure, Bonesore!

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast