MSPA Forums
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

Thread: THE Squiddle Session Project

Re: THE squiddle project

Considering Squiddles live in houses shaped like squiddles, it's not all too inconceivable that the windows also look like squiddles, but yeah.

I've been practicing rendering Squiddles in a more symbolic manner.

A squiddle shaped window sounds pretty cool actually XD I'd vote for it.

Komodo Mc.IntergalacticWarfare Mythee's Avatar

Or a W shaped window? 8D
    That logo animation is amazing though.

Rota those squiddles are all adorable @v@ I love what you did for the different head shapes, too. AND THE SQUID W EYES! Not having a mouth comes with its disadvantages expression-wise and bubble-blowing-wise, though. Here are some of the designs I had in mind to make them look more squidlike, but keeping the mouth and upright posture.

Webcam picture from sketch on school agenda since the this is all happening while I'm too busy and far from my tablet to use photoshop. XD

Cool! I am so going to start designing my characters soon. I love those sketches so much. On a slightly off-topic note, I am proud of being able to convey a range of emotions with an eye on a blob.

I wouldn't have a me-shaped window (I'm too ugly) But I sure would have a human-shaped window.
    I vote for a squiddle/W-shaped window.
    Last edited by BlueRaffeKin; 09-15-2011 at 08:45 PM.
    Sparkly Unicorn Princess Of The Noble And Most Ancient House Of Sparklepoo

...Great now I need to google search until I can find a human shaped window. And also I need a human shaped window some day. THAT IDEA IS TOO AWESOME, RAFFE. xD Also, that emotions thing is indeed something to be proud of. o-o

Pronouns
    he/him/his

since the eyes are sort of the sour point of my design, I've given some options, Personally I think the squids should not have whites in their eyes, but we could go that way if people desire it strongly enough.

xD. Is that... Yoda?! Lmao.
    Can we deal with things like sprite design later? We've put too much work into something that can't yet be decided way too soon! ;^; We need to develop more info about the species and their world and what exactly this project's goal is if we want to go forwards at all.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

sorry. I'm a visuals guy.

I figured once we had the sprite down, it's appearance would influence the way other things are drawn. (character driven design, rather than plot driven)

I thought an idea for the planet would be called Associontort (name off the top of my head)

(sorry the picture is small, I drew it with the magnifier on too high.)

it was originally two planets that collided, placing them forever in a strange 8 shape. (though due to the center of gravity, the planets are slowly merging into a circle, in several hundreds of millions of years it would return to a spherical shape (had it not been for the vast Sglub) The red planet was entirely covered in a a sea of red water, as the planets collided all of the water pulled to the center of gravity around the center of the planets, though it became clear that the unique red minerals in the sand of the red planet is what made the water appear red, as it was quite blue on the now oceaned blue planet.

Even though all life was destroyed in the initial impact. Several species were able to rise of the ashes of the thought-to-be-dead planet. The main species was the sQuiwidal, or "squiddle" as you would write it in basic english. This creature was born in the act of conjointment, and as such enjoys the company of others of it's species, and occasionally the company of completely different species.

Even though the creature quickly spread to both corners of the dual-planet. They tried to remain friendly to each other (though the split caused subtle personality differences between the two planetary regions... as an act of friendship and bonding, the two planetary tribes of Squiddles would return to the Tanglequator of origns to perform mating and friendship rituals (they usually were the same ritual though to a squiddle the differences between the two were more than obvious)... this would involve two Squiddles acting out the genesis of the planet with one another. The more different the colours of the two squiddles were, the stronger the bond was meant to imply.

----------

Ok, I just pulled all of that out of my ass just now. Feel free to throw it in the bin and forget it ever happened, or use pieces of it at your discretion.

"What kind of power is heart?" Tren's Avatar

Time for some surgery!
    I like it. I really do. Here's what I think we should keep:
    The two planets thing is a good idea, especially the whole 'ocean killing all life but some squiddles and other stuff'.
    I like the Squiddles being different depending on which color sea they're from.
    "This creature was born in the act of conjoinment, and as such enjoys the company of others of it's species" SO SUBTLE.
    Mating and friendship appearing the same to a human I kind of like and kind of hate. I'm still not one for Squiddle romance, but if it exists, this is it.

Here's what I don't like.
    I think it would make more sense if both planets smashing together created the ocean, and after millions of years, the Squiddles and other creatures. (Skipper Plumthroat-and-crew esque creatures and candycorn shrimp and all that)
    Again, I'm not a supporter of Squiddle romance. Although you're really tempting me with your explanation, my vote is for no. I wouldn't be all that adverse to it anyways if the rest of you wanted it.
    'Tanglequator' is a big no-no. That pun broke galactic code. But I kind of like the cultural connotations of two mildly-disliking neighbors having rituals in between the two planets.

So what do you guys think?

Pronouns
    he/him/his

thats fair, I wasn't sure where the water came myself so that was a quick explanation, the water being the chemical result of the two planets is a good one... perhaps a Oxygen planet and a Hydrogen planet?

I never said anything about romance, I mentioned that they come together to have a mating ritual.... which doesn't sound romantic at all tbh.

lol Tanglequator was an amusing one for me... it was just a slip of the tongue pun though, didn't expect all of this to be canon, similar to the planet name. Associontort which is a portmanteau of Associate and Contort.

Gentelmen Pyralspite RedCapAvenger's Avatar

My god they're so...happy. My sensors are experiencing a "happiness" overload. XP

Sorry its almost too cute in my opinion. All I'm getting is one of those early development children shows where everything is awesome and nothing bad ever happens. What I would like to see is more range of emotion before I sign off my support on anything; some sad, annoyed, laughing, angry, stoic, etc, hell even evil or psychotic even. Just anything that disconnects them from their look of eternal and perpetual happy face.

My only thing, nitpicky it may be, with the planet is that, astronomically speaking, the planet would have formed a sphere long before life had a chance to arise. It would have taken those hundreds of millions of years for the new planet to cool, tectonically stabilize, coalesce oceans from what water remained after impact, and for life to start anew. On the other hand, staying with two un-coalesced planets we have to start taking into consideration that the planets gravitational pull would be far greater at the equator of the two planets than at the far ends; which would actually cause all the water to collect at the equator until it formed a stable sphere anyway. And this isn't taking in the conundrum of the laws of physics, its axis of rotation, or how said rotation would affect the climate on such an object. Honestly, I think we are inviting a whole slew of problems and questions with this one that I think we are far better off without having to deal with it.

That being said, I like this "bifurcation" concept you have going on here (which reminds me that we might want to think about a different color set than red and blue). This kind of setting might be just the thing we need to get a solid back story going. It could easily set the stage for political, even militarial, tension between the two halves of the planet, as well the possibility for different races, customs, traditions, and outlooks that will help in character creation; as well as character evolution. By doing this we nearly cut one of our problems of character creation in half. Normally, we have to come up with 48 characters that all pretty much come from the same society with the same history and the same overall outlook of the future. Which makes it hard to come up 48 unique characters under those circumstances with no overlap or undercutting the usefulness, or really the validity, of some characters. This goes especially during character development. Like it was mentioned in canon during on of Vriska's chatlogs with John, that one of the subtle, yet major, aspects of the game S___B is growing up, maturing, and seeing the bigger picture. Which for a civilization under such a potentially hostile political climate, the players would be forced to work together, though they might not want to, and accomplish goals as a team, and slowly realize, understand, and accept that though those from one hemisphere might be a little different, that, when it comes down to it, they really aren't that different at all. In fact, to continue with the tangle-buddy theme, it may be revealed that the two different societies were in fact the right "tangle-buddies" for each other. That without one, the other couldn't survive, the strife would not exist that would lead to critical advances across the board including societal, economical, and military advances. The structure would not be in place to necessitate the importance of the upbringing, training, and societal importance of the political leadership (I'm making a reference here to a new suggestion that I'll make shortly). All of that would lead to the perfect environment to raise and teach the group of kids the necessary skills required in order to be fully prepared to face the challenges the game would present.

Which brings me to my next point, my suggestion about what kind of civilization the squiddles should be. It can be generalized that there are three major types of civilization Economical, Political, and Militaristic. Now all civilizations have all three, but usually there is one the predominates the others; for humans it is economy, for trolls its military. I was thinking that the squiddles could be the third civilization type and be very politics heavy. It would make sense in respect to the game with the type of environment we're discussing here. Especially with the number of players we are dealing with here. There are far too many to just boss around and have them actually expect to follow you, much the way it was with Karkat. A certain bit of charisma is needed in order to get that many people to work together and come to a compromise on how to work together to achieve a common goal. It would take people that are great orators, time managers, delegaters, and compromisers, in order to effectivly manage that number of people; the qualities that are required to be a successful social and political leader.

Ok, it now like 4am and i spent some thing like 2 1/2 to 3 hours coming up with and typing this post I'm going to sleep now.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll try to get started on the characterization as soon as I can, but life hasn't been as cooperative as I would have liked.
    Last edited by RedCapAvenger; 09-18-2011 at 07:04 AM.
    This signature has been hidden because it exceeds the boundaries of time and space.

RedCap, thank youuuuu. xD I just. I thought the two planets thing was totally wrong. It's fun to imagine such a scenario, but every fiber of science in my mind was crying foul. So I had actually decided that, you know what, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade- and would simply retire from participation if people adopted that idea, and if they like it and have fun, great! (Which is why I hadn't posted since then.)

But you actually went through the effort of arguing against it in a way that is somehow wonderfully completely inoffensive. Props for that. 8D Though in the end it looks like the two-planet thing might be done after all but yeah that's up to a group decision.

Having a normal shaped planet but with two drastically different sides would definitely be interesting! How about We do that via possible means like a tilted axes, maybe something about the rotation speed, orrr we could go with climate/type of rock, or we could go with terrain; one side has a lot of land, but covered in freshwater bodies (lakes, swamps, ponds, rivers, hot springs, frozen lakes...) VS. the other half of the planet which is saltwater bodies (seashore, surface ocean, coral reefs, middle ocean, deep sea, hydrothermal vents.)

Hey... maybe we can even have a kind of squiddle that fantasy-universe like has levitation powers and lives around clouds like the Pegasi from MLP- no, wait, that would be...

Well I don't know xD Anyways that gives us a variety of environments the squiddles can hail from.

Or the division could simply be according to depth of water, idk.

I love your cultural tangle-buddies idea.
    And also a politics-based culture is... *thinks of high school girls social strata and vicious drama games* adhkjsgd;safskj Well that's pretty scary

Pronouns
    he/him/his

aw man. I was going to get on and argue my point that this isn't our universe. It's not even the universe that made our universe, so arguing physics is a bit of a moot point.

Let's not be hasty and suggest leaving over a CONCEPT like this. You asked to discuss the planet and the people on it, so I gave an idea. Admitting it was off the wall and a spontaneous idea at the time.

I just thought it was a neat concept. I hadn't seen anything like it in Science "fiction". A medium where planets cave have all sorts of kooky quirks.

Perhaps what I suggested could be true but the planet be more merged? sort of like a yin yang planet of sorts.

Or hell perhaps the planets move in a strange path through the center of a double sun solar system, which pulls from either side causing less of a perfect sphere than most.

Oh right, physics exists.
    Chalk me up to the 'no planet-collision' side.

@Mythee: I completely support teenage girl politics in Squiddle society.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I was going to make a complex design involving external forces finding this virgin collided planet and using technology sort of like steel girders to hold the planet in it's unique shape or perhaps a planet with large desert landmasses on either end and a ocean between them... the water forming to the sphere.... much like how earth isn't a sphere exactly due to it's low oceans and tall mountains.

I feel like I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing though. So I will drop it and come up with something more... reasonable.

Are we looking for an entirely aquatic planet, or are squiddles capable of living on land? It's an interesting thing to consider.

Well, there's a point at which you can simply accept the "magical" elements of a universe which, denoted as magical, break the laws of physics- but take it too far and you reach a point where things make so little sense that it may appeal less to people for lack of bearings.

Discworld is damn awesome, but it's basically "there are no physics. EVERYTHING is magic." If you think that's how the world should work, then it can make sense again as long as you use your storytelling skills to "teach" this different logic, like how Terry Pratchett went deep into its functions, limitations, mechanics etc. of magic in his novels. Since we're all more familiar with adding stray magic onto a world that makes physical sense as opposed to creating a new definition for what makes sense and what doesn't in a magical world, it would be easier to avoid what you proposed.

That's my argument against completely ignoring real world physics in the fundamental structure of the Squiddle World, anyways. Something attached to individuals (ex.: Some Squiddles Have Powers) rather than universe-level mechanics (ex.: How Does Heat and Gravity Work) would be easier to digest.

@Tren: xD All of the barely hidden hostility. All of the manipulative games. AAHHHH

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Something like a strangely shaped planet would hardly confuse the masses... they don't seem to be confused by planets in Star Wars that are all desert or moons completely covered with forests and such.

But I'll drop that, but not really... I have updated the design to be a bit more logical. It's still two planets but they have clearly molded into more of a sphere. The colours are now Purple and Yellow... for random reasons mostly, but they are probably my favourite opposite colour pair.

The first picture is just the planet without water. and the second shows it with a sort of bluish water, which looks slightly different over each planet's landmass... that being said I've added some out of water elements as well... and differentiated between the two by giving the Purple side more of a wavy feel and the yellow side more of a harsh jagged feel.
    The bottom picture is the whole thing with added cloud coverage, which makes the planet look more cohesive, from space it almost looks like there never was a collision, and that the planet was always that way... little do they know how harsh the separation of the two is... masked thinly by a happy tangling ritual meant to bond the planet.

Gentelmen Pyralspite RedCapAvenger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tren View Post
    Oh right, physics exists.
    Chalk me up to the 'no planet-collision' side.
    I'm not saying that we shouldn't go with the planetary collision idea. In fact I'm saying we should, I was just arguing against the idea of the incompletely merged planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    Perhaps what I suggested could be true but the planet be more merged? sort of like a yin yang planet of sorts.

Or hell perhaps the planets move in a strange path through the center of a double sun solar system, which pulls from either side causing less of a perfect sphere than most.
    Yes, I totally agree that we should have the planets merged with two different hemispheres. As for the double suns (DOUBLE SUN POWER!), it would be completely doable and be astronomically possible. Either both stars would rotate around a common point, or one smaller star would orbit the far larger second star. Though i do not know the specifics for planetary orbit around a twin star system it would be safe to say that the orbits would be far more elliptical than the one we experience here on Earth. Which, we should keep in mind, would cause more extreme weather on the planet; though it may not matter for those creatures that live in the sea, and may describe the type of life that may, or may not, be found on the land surface of the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tren View Post

@Mythee: I completely support teenage girl politics in Squiddle society.
    Yes, I was thinking more broadly about the whole species in general, so I was thinking more extreme, along the lines of corruptions and assassinations. But, childish "teenage girl" politics would fit for the squiddle characters were are creating as it would be the first logical step for them to take.

And to touch on the alternate physics topic for a sec. I'm just going to reiterate what I mentioned earlier, that course of action will inevitably open up a virtual Pandora's Box that I believe should just be better off unopened. Much the way that Mythee described.

I do like the look for the new planet design, so how about this for the start of a compromise. I would point out in figures 2 & 3 that the water would collect around the equator making the planet spherical anyways, but it would would be apparent that once one removes the water, or maps the ocean floor, that the planet would in fact be as we see it in figure 1. This way it looks normal to the casual observer from the outside, but those with the knowledge would know it for what it really is. Incorporating this scheme would allow for some sort of dramatic reveal either to the characters and/or the readers. This depends on how much of this information is accessible to the general populous.
    This signature has been hidden because it exceeds the boundaries of time and space.

Damn, now I'm imagining a binary planet system with a figure-eight orbit through a binary star system. Assuming two stars of equal size and two planets of equal size, that would give you winters of 2/3 night, 1/3 day; summers of 3/4 day, 1/4 night and spring/autumn with about half-half. This would make the planets somewhat warmer overall given the bias towards sun, and given water's specific heat capacity it would be pretty livable assuming the planets are both mostly water.

... what on earth am I even talking about?

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I would imagine this planet would have a moon or two, the debris from the collision would have made a large cloud of dust and rocks... I can draw some up but how many do you think we should be going for here?

Or alternatively it could have a saturn-like ring-system.
    Last edited by RotationalBasis; 09-19-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Saturn rings all the way.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I would think it would have more a a smaller ring system, though I will admit I'm not entirely sure how ring systems are formed, and what stops them from clumping into moons. *derp*

It's complicated I think. Although you can actually have moons that shepherd debris into a stable ring. Moons and rings is a total possibility.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

well obviously, all the planets we know to have rings also have a LOT of moons. lol

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast