MSPA Forums
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

Thread: THE Squiddle Session Project

Re: THE squiddle project

I always imagined squiddle reproduction working like this:

That is just my idea though.
    maybe one side could be like oppressive and one is more like "do whatever you want if it makes you happy"
    We thought ofthe oppressive utopia a long time ago btw.
    Last edited by BlueRaffeKin; 09-24-2011 at 12:41 AM.
    Sparkly Unicorn Princess Of The Noble And Most Ancient House Of Sparklepoo

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraftianParadox View Post
    As for their government/society, you guys seem to like the concept of two factions with opposing views/philosophies or something.
    So uh, squiddles seem like a fairly happy sunshiney race, so their governing style might reflect that. What if the government enforced happiness? Sort of like an oppressive utopia. Literature with any conflict or unhappy endings aren't allowed. All paintings must be bright and bubbly. No talking about dark things. Maybe even to the point where squiddles who don't agree with the government's cheerful philosophy were 'removed' from society? And then there could be a faction that believed that happiness was freedom, or anarchy, since you guys want that.

Just seems like it fits the squiddle demeanor.
    That actually sounds like a really interesting idea! I can totally picture a scene where a squiddle is hiding somewhere, secretly bawling his or her eyes out because they can't deal with the stress of being forced to be cheerful 24/7.

"Mommy, I don't want to smile any more..."
    "Shh! Think happy thoughts! As long as we stay happy, we will be safe from them. Give me a hug, my little snugglebubble... Everything will be ok..."
    "Mom, why are you acting like this? who's "them"?"
    "What am I kidding, I can't hide behind this cheeky grin forever... But be quiet about your emotions please. They are watching everyone closely, making sure that we resemble "the smiling ones" at all times. Don't let them catch you..."
    Last edited by shinyjiggly; 09-24-2011 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Somebody else posted so I needed to clarify what I was replying to.

Gentelmen Pyralspite RedCapAvenger's Avatar

So how about this: So what if something went wrong (sort of like in the troll session) and only one or a small group of squiddles made it into the new universe(which would be the troll's universe)? Maybe some of them died? Maybe only one made it in?
    So what if Gl'bgolyb was a character from the squiddle session? Just an idea.
    I'm glad someone thought of something similar on their own since this was where I was leaning toward. So I'm naturally going to support this.

As for their government/society, you guys seem to like the concept of two factions with opposing views/philosophies or something.
    So uh, squiddles seem like a fairly happy sunshiney race, so their governing style might reflect that. What if the government enforced happiness? Sort of like an oppressive utopia. Literature with any conflict or unhappy endings aren't allowed. All paintings must be bright and bubbly. No talking about dark things. Maybe even to the point where squiddles who don't agree with the government's cheerful philosophy were 'removed' from society? And then there could be a faction that believed that happiness was freedom, or anarchy, since you guys want that.
    The idea was that the squiddles that we see in canon were some deviant of what they actually were. We were running with the idea that they were just like any other civilization with a wide variety of individual with a wide variety of personalities. I'm only against it being in the present, and by that I mean the time when the players are alive, because it would make it a bit of a pain to create 48 squids and have them only express their individual traits with in private.

That said, I couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes with shinyjiggly's dialogue. So if we can fit it in without messing with that I would be happy with it.

My proposal would be that it was like that in the distant past, and it was one of the factors that lead to the division of the planet.
    This signature has been hidden because it exceeds the boundaries of time and space.

"What kind of power is heart?" Tren's Avatar

I don't know about you guys, but I don't like the idea of an oppressive utopia, at least when it comes to Squiddles.
    Yes, I know we're going with the explanation that Squiddles are different from how they appear in canon, but their smiles didn't seem forced to me.
    They seemed sadistic.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...EAF4E7D21F.png

Like dolphins.

EXACTLY like dolphins.

It would be pretty cool if it was sort of an unaware, cheerful sadism; like kids pulling the wings off flies.

How I do love the edgy nature of Squiddles! Support!

Komodo Mc.IntergalacticWarfare Mythee's Avatar

Support Squiddle oppressive utopia wherein some are cheerful sadists as described but some are bona fide open-hearted naïve friendlies? xD

Pronouns
    he/him/his

BlueRaffeKin: thats so much better then my idea, but I think that home-budies should be platonic, maybe even forcibly platonic.
    lovecraftianParadox I agree on all accounts.

Looks like yandere squiddles are favored more than forced-to-smile squiddles, so I'm just gonna work my ideas around that.

You guys seem to like the concept of oblivious sadism, so how about here are some more ideas: Squiddles don't see morality the same way we do. It's not that all of them are evil or all of them are insane or sadistic, it's just that they're standards of ethics work differently. Killing another creature slowly and painfully with a smile on your face wouldn't be considered evil.

If you guys want to entertain the idea that they're immortal, then they don't have qualms with murder because they don't fully grasp the gravity of death. This also brings up the topic of reproduction you guys are discussing. If we decided they were immortal, reproduction obviously would not work the same way (due to overpopulation issues). So if you guys want to go with them being immortal, I suggest it work kind of like a Turritopsis nutricula. After a long life, instead of dying, they revert back to an infant stage or are reborn or reincarnated in some way idontknow. They probably lose their memories. I can sort of picture them being like “Oh hey look at this animal and ketchup is squirting out of the part where I hit it with the pointy end and also it is sleeping?” “Hit it some more maybe it’ll wake up.” “lol k”

This would probably effect the way they play sglub. They would generally be more reckless, and less hesitant about the fighting part. Perhaps some of them might enjoy it, racking up ludicrous amounts of grist for the lulz.

However if you’re all not going with the immortal thing, then reproduction would be differently of course. I really like the idea of the squiddles being paired up for life when they’re born (can’t remember who thought of that but cool idea bro). Tangle Buddies 4 Life. Maybe they’re paired based on color/symbol stuff? Also I don’t think the squiddles should look at reproduction the same way we do. Instead of romantic couples maybe they’re relationships are more like bromance. Maybe they look at sex as something more casual, like hugging? I like the idea that they lay eggs, too.

And it would be all the more interesting for a society like that to be governed by politics over warfare. I'm not sure I'm in favour of the Squiddles being immortal per-se, but intense regenerative capabilities would probably be appropriate.

On the subject of immortality, though, would God Tier Squiddles have any physiological differences to an average? For example the Trolls get wings; would the Squiddles get shells?

Pronouns
    he/him/his

do Trolls get wings? or do Girls get wings? either could be true, we don't have any male troll god tiers, and no female human god tiers.

Word of Hussie states that trolls get wings because of the whole insect thing.

Well, this is my first post, but I've read over this whole thing, and i have a few ideas:

1. As an equivalent to the lusii and guardians, the Squiddles have an equivalent of the skipper as a group guardian, who basically attempts to kill them in order to teach them how to survive properly until they are grown enough, forcing them to either team up, or only allow the strongest of the group to survive, which adds some dark details, but still keeps the characterization of the species constant.

2. Following the idea that Gl'bgolyb is a remaining squiddle, what if the squiddles naturally become mutated, giant, and powerful as they grow up, at the expense of their intelligence, but this can be combated by sharing their ink by tangling, so that squiddles who are more isolated are more psychically powerful, but more mentally unstable, and may develop mutations over time. This would eventually lead to the Horrorterrors, with their thoughts mostly being made up of the desire to "become tangle buddies" and regain their mental capacity. Or something.

3. On the subject of god tier, I think god tier squiddles should get really long, pointed tentacles, like the hoods on human god tiers, and maybe some sort of halo or aura.

4. On clothing, I don't really think the squiddles should wear most clothing, it just sort of looks awkward most of the time, although they could wear things like glasses or hats.

5. I don't think there should be a list of weapons for strifespecibus. Just like the trolls had mostly the same weapons as the humans, with the difference of a couple, I think the squiddles should use mostly human and troll weaponry, with a few weird ones mixed in. Maybe weaponized bubbles or things like that?

6. Since the troll session seemed to affect the human universe to the extent that they have similiar media, I think there should be some nods to the troll universe. Maybe the hero of blood is a rainbow squiddle?

Also, even though I've only made one post, would I be able to make a character for this?
    Last edited by Monkeysky; 09-25-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

immortal squiddles wouldn't exactly work... you need to die to achieve God Tier (which I assume like 4 of them will do)... and they will likely have Dream Selves (who will wear clothes I assume) to take their place if they die... if they die... which a lot of them should imo.

Gentelmen Pyralspite RedCapAvenger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    immortal squiddles wouldn't exactly work... you need to die to achieve God Tier (which I assume like 4 of them will do)... and they will likely have Dream Selves (who will wear clothes I assume) to take their place if they die... if they die... which a lot of them should imo.
    I agree, most should die before the end, probably by PvP backstabery.
    This signature has been hidden because it exceeds the boundaries of time and space.

Quote Originally Posted by RedCapAvenger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    I agree, most should die before the end, probably by PvP backstabery.
    Well, I feel like sort of a jerk for repeating my idea so soon, but the guardian/skipper thing could get a bunch wiped out.

Like I've said before, let's stay out of troll territory.
    Skipper Plumthroat just wanted their ink.
    ...Well he also got his jollies by killing insomniac jellyfish, but...

So, no to globelgloel or whatever, and probably to the guardian idea as well. That leaves the question though, do they have guardians? And if so, what is the nature of their relationship. Also, I've heard a couple people mention psychic powers, I think, including myself. Are these going to be in this?

2. Gl'golyb doesn't seem stupid or unintelligent at all to me. In fact, horrorterrors almost seem sort of omniscient.
    3. What if squiddles became horrorterrors when godtier'd?
    4. Supported
    5. A lot of the troll's weapons are really personal to their character for specific reasons. Such as Karkat using a sicle because he wants to be a threshecutioner, and Gamzee using jokerkind because he is a clown. Dicekind is very specific to Vriska because of the whole eight/luck motif. Canekind is specific to Terezi due to her blindness. Tavros uses a lance because he wants to be a cavalreaper. It would be silly if we took the very meticulously chosen weapons of the trolls or humans and put them on the squiddles because we didn't want to think of a strife specibus that would suit the character.

As for the guardian thing, I mentioned earlier that we should keep constants between the troll and human session constants. The kid's have guardians, and so do the trolls, so yes they should probably have guardians. The guardians should raise them like how lusii raised the trolls and the family members raised the kids (which makes it a constant). Each Squiddle should have an individual gaurdian (another constant).

Furthermore, I have spent a great amount of time pouring my thoughts and ideas into a three-dimensional, rounded and interesting character.
    Inkderp
    The Fool of Luck
    /joke

Furthermore, I have spent a great amount of time pouring my thoughts and ideas into a three-dimensional, rounded and interesting character.
    Inkderp
    The Fool of Luck
    /joke
    Fansquiddles are the best fancharacter.

Well, the horrorterrors are a bit hard to read the characters of, but i agree that they seem intelligent, maybe just the psychic/mutated part would be true than. I feel like it may be a bit much of a shift for the horrorterrors to be their god-tiers. For the weapons, I wasn't suggesting that they use the weapons shown in alterniabound, I was sort of using those as a precedent to make up more weapons for the squiddles' use. Especially considering that they are aquatic and multi-limbed, most humanoid weapons wouldn't make sense. However, some, like the 2x3dent would make a bit more, especially considering the connection to Feferi.

Speaking of fansquiddles, are we allowed to start working on those?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeysky View Post
    Speaking of fansquiddles, are we allowed to start working on those?
    No, we still have to figure out characters and archetypes and such before we start.
    I made that a while ago before this project even started.

Yeah, that's what I figured. About genders, if you want to have them genderless, maybe you could have it so the pronoun is just their initial plus -e, for example, karkat would be ke, Sollux would be se. It seems sort of weird, but I feel like calling them all "it" or avoiding the entire thing would be weirder.

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast