MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dinosaur Comics Overlay Chooser (version 1.8.1; 2014-04-04)

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Dinosaur Comics Overlay Chooser (version 1.8.1; 2014-04-04)

I made a GreaseMonkey script a while ago to get familiar with JavaScript, and I thought other people may find it interesting too.
    For people who don't know, GreaseMonkey is an extension for Firefox that allows the user to install scripts that (usually) enhance a specific website. You can get the extension here. Chrome also supports GreaseMonkey scripts natively.

Now on to my script (Scroll down if you prefer clicking over reading). Some or most of you may know that a while ago Mr. North added overlays as a joke, that replace T-Rex and friends with characters from other webcomics or with alternate universe dinosaurs with less tolerance for cold and a hint of fashion sense. That's a nice addition, but it was pretty hidden, since you manually had to add a part to the page URL, and also had to remember all the different overlays. That's hard, a bit annoying, and you'd also be liable to miss a lot of the overlays. That's where my script comes in. It adds a drop-down list to the top of each comic page, where you can select the overlay you want, like this:

(Of course, I picked this overlay entirely randomly.)

Enough talk, download the script here. I hope it's useful, interesting or funny to at least some of you.

I think I've got all the available overlays in there, but if I missed any, please let me know, and I'll add them. If you've got other suggestions, let me know too, and I'll see what I can do!

Changelog:
    1.0: Initial version.
    1.1: Fixed a small bug where the dropdown box was visible on other pages than the comic ones.
    1.2: Added two more overlays I previously missed, "A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible", and "Buttercup Festival" (Thanks eightDash!)
    1.3: Mr. North added some new overlays, and so did I! ("The Last Dinosaur Comic Ever", "Sweet Bro And Hella Jeff", "Just About T-Rex", "DC Comics", and "About Pirates")
    1.4: Script suddenly broke, fixed in this version.
    1.5: Changed location of dropdown box (from header to below the comic), and added new overlay ('The RIAA Version Of The Internet').
    1.6: Added GreaseMonkey menu (click the monkey icon in the addon bar), added location choice, favorite overlays, and custom overlays. Also a bit of attempted wit.
    1.7: Added 'Brodyquest' overlay (thanks for the heads-up, Mattgcn). Also slightly updated the script's description.
    1.8: Fixed script so it shows up again. Also added 'On April Fools 2014', 'Something That Will Destroy My Brain' and 'Dr McNinja' overlays.
    1.8.1: Slight cleanup. The overlay 'The Same Pictures' was added too, but that is just the default comic, useful for when there is an overlay active by default (Like on April Fools day 2014, when mr. North set 'On April Fools 2014' as the default)
    Last edited by Didero; 04-04-2014 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Updated script to version 1.8.1
    Try the Homestuck Character Creator! Easily make your trollsona, non-canon story character, or just some weird dude or dudette!
    With the Dinosaur Comic Overlay Chooser, you can get even more out of the best dinosaur-centered webcomic on the internet!

Re: Dinosaur Comics Overlay Chooser

Sweet! Nicely done!!

Okay, that's probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Okay yes this is pretty awesome

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Ok, I haven't had a smile this big on my face in quite a while. Thanks for all the kind words!!
    And thanks for tweeting about it, Mr. North!
    Try the Homestuck Character Creator! Easily make your trollsona, non-canon story character, or just some weird dude or dudette!
    With the Dinosaur Comic Overlay Chooser, you can get even more out of the best dinosaur-centered webcomic on the internet!

This is really cool. You're missing ?butiwouldratherbereading=alessonislearnedbuttheda mageisirreversible and ?butiwouldratherbereading=buttercupfestival but I can't seem to get that last one to work anymore.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by eightDash View Post
    This is really cool. You're missing ?butiwouldratherbereading=alessonislearnedbuttheda mageisirreversible and ?butiwouldratherbereading=buttercupfestival but I can't seem to get that last one to work anymore.
    All right, I added those, thanks! Just download the script again from the link in the first post to get the latest version.
    We're up to version 1.2 already, it's going quick. Luckily the new version of GreaseMonkey is supposed to have an auto-updating feature, so people won't have to keep checking this thread for updates, or miss out on more overlays.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Re: Dinosaur Comics Overlay Chooser (version 1.2, 1 Oct.)

I had T-rex dressed as Karkat for a few days via Goggles, but it looks like someone deleted it.

Just learned about the overlay feature. (I'm still in the archives.) Anyway, this is a neat idea.

I've done very little scripting, but just enough* to recognize that stackoverflow link on sight.

I added a few more today!

thelastdinosaurcomicever
    sweetbroandhellajeff
    justabouttrex
    dccomics
    aboutpirates

:0

thelastdinosaurcomicever reminds me of Lonely T-rex, which is to say I regard both as secretly the real canon (while Dinosaurs Comics is merely T-rex's fantasy dream wish).

Wait, is Dinosaur comics a retelling of Groundhog's Day? Is T-rex reliving the last day of his and his friends' life? I think the answer is obvious.

Edit: Oh snap, missed justabouttrex.

Pronouns
    thon

justabouttrex is delightful, but... Utahraptor could never be the Robin to T-Rex's Batman! I am declaring this overlay non-canon.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Re: Dinosaur Comics Overlay Chooser (version 1.3, 6 Oct.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan North View Post
    I added a few more today!

thelastdinosaurcomicever
    sweetbroandhellajeff
    justabouttrex
    dccomics
    aboutpirates

:0
    Thanks for the heads up!
    I updated the script, we're at 1.3 now.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbottles View Post
    P.S. Love this script. Just downloaded Greasemonkey and it.
    Thanks

I remember these from last year! So great. You had a couple more though, right, Ryan? There's definitely a Penny Arcade one (I checked), and I think I remember a couple more.

'Something More Historically Accurate' is probably my favourite, though.

Ryan!

You've got to incorporate this canonly into the web site! I've been dreaming about this (while actively not learning to write javascript). It's brilliant. (A hearty gefeliciteerd to Didero.) However, the feature should be "unlockable". Possibly by completing a series of tasks, each more daunting than the last.
    Also, there should be messages ridiculing the user for not having done this yet, and hinting at how much better life could be.

Yessssssss more overlays Mr. North you are the BEST.

Oh my goodness, thelastdinosaurcomicever is heartbreaking and hilarious at the same time! It's perfect in so many situations because for some reason the fifth panel often ends with T-rex proclaiming "My life long dream can finally now be realized!" or "Things are looking up!"

COMEDIC IRONY I LOVE YOU

props to ectoToreador for avvy ectoBiologist's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

trying to remember if i was the person who made the only t-rex one... i have a sneaking suspicion i may have done at some point in the past, but i really don't remember o,o

certainly if the e-mail address was related the consumption of socks, then it would have been mine...
    Last edited by ectoBiologist; 10-06-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    3DS Friend Code: 1504-6947-9507. Hit me up.
    Check out my super spooky fanventure, Bonesore!

Quote Originally Posted by RegisteredJUSTtopostthis: View Post
    Ryan!

You've got to incorporate this canonly into the web site! I've been dreaming about this (while actively not learning to write javascript). It's brilliant. (A hearty gefeliciteerd to Didero.) However, the feature should be "unlockable". Possibly by completing a series of tasks, each more daunting than the last.
    Also, there should be messages ridiculing the user for not having done this yet, and hinting at how much better life could be.

TASK THE FIRST: come up with a simple, reliable, inexpensive way to solve all the problems (ALL the problems) and email it to me. This will unlock an overlay where T-Rex is wearing a funny hat.

Well that's just the motivation I needed to get working on all those silly problems!

I saw the thelastdinosaurcomicever overlay and immediately thought of the perfect comic for it...

http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comi...osaurcomicever

Let me hypnotise you into the 4th dimension!

That the last dinosaur comic ever overlay has too many comics it is perfect for. Witness: Utahraptor is in trouble.
    I have spoilers now?
    What's up with that?

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Death: the ultimate punchline.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

that last comic ever needs a companion comic overlay

Congratulations, Gordon. You just retroactively ruined Dinosaur Comics.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast