MSPA Forums
Page 35 of 99 FirstFirst ... 25323334353637384585 ... LastLast

Thread: HS Music Discussion 2: Let there be a fan-music contest!

Re: HS Music Discussion 2: Volume 8 Appreciation Station

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorInfinity View Post
    i'm pretty sure that's my voice

i'm comparing it side by side with the sweet bro theme and shit let's be santa now

aaaaand

yeah that sounds like a match to me

let's see does it work with let's all rock the heist

yes it does

okay
    we're done here
    i was typing that while i listened to it and at first i wasn't sure if it was just a sample or something but then obviously it became apparent it was really you

also SBaHJ, shit let's be santa, and LARtH all have your voice heavily distorted so it's not the same

e: RJ my friend made this mix what are your thoughts
    http://8tracks.com/mattgcn/knight-of-time

Eternity's Shyguy Music Team DragonXVI's Avatar

And now for no explainable reason, track commentary for my stuff on Vol 8!

- Do You Remem8er Me?

Alas poor Vriska. This scene stood out quite a bit from the Scrapbook Near-end-of-act Scratch-a-thon as being yet more humility to Vriska as a character - first hinted at during John's talk with her around the whole 'lifdoff' time (which is also why most of the song is taken from lifdoff.)

The idea was to create something vaguely romantic and a bit tragic for the whole 'd8' thing. I used lifdoff as a starting point because that's become my sort of unofficial 'John' theme - It's quite light and goofy but reasonably heroic and fantastical. Showtime shows up at around 2:17, shortly followed by a slightly modified lift from Death of the Lusii (as mentioned previously in this topic). After that it slides into an additionally modified version of Ruins/Awakening for reasons that are hopefully obvious and also because I like that tune

The main reason I made this is because Vriska's had a but few moments when she wasn't terrorizing everybody and generally acting the huge bitch. Add to this the whole 'fat vriska' thing, and the very bombastic music she's had thus far... It was nice to give her last bit of humility a soundtrack.

And the reason Vriska's actual theme doesn't show up anywhere is because I find it difficult to work with as it's kinda crazy /excuse.

It took me about half a day to get the tambourines sounding decent and they still don't sound like what I imagined they would...

Also I was trying to channel some of the style from the music of the Little Big Adventure games. The soundtrack for thems' awesome and ya'll should go listen to it!
    - Unite Synchronization

This was an idea borne of two things. Firstly the Dave & Jade vs Noir battle in the banner (Original title was 'Redshift'), and secondly a post-scratch Dave trying to regroup with all the kids (hence - 'Unite' - keeping to the kind of single-world direction thing HS has going for it i.e. Descend, Ascend, Cascade, etc).

The main premise was to have quite a hefty beat (Dave), bass - including a slap bass solo (Jade), piano (John) and violin (Rose). The premise being as the song continues each part contributes until the end, where all 4 play in sync (hence... er... 'Synchronization').

There's the tiniest influence from Showtime (again). It was also my first attempt at some vague chiptuniness in a while, which may or may not have worked... You decide!

The breakbeat drum thing was also fun to do.
    - Hussie Hunt

Hah! If 'Sneaking music' was a genre, here's another one to the mix.

Basically, heavily influenced by the Pink Panther theme (You know the one). While making this all I could imagine was a bizarre Andrew Hussie Elmer Fudd hunting 'Scwatches'...

More or less my first attempt to do something in this style. Also, surprisingly, most of it was played live on keyboard into the sequencer (not something I normally do) and then heavily quantized to fix my wonky playing . It gives it a *slightly* more organic feel, most noticeable on the chords during the 'Explore' section at the end (Which may also owe a little bit to the Monkey Island soundtrack)

Basically a bit of music for Andrew's huntin' of Scratch shortly before the end of act. Included is the "AAAAAHHH FUCKING WOLF!!" moment for good measure (That was added after the first draft to Rad's suggestion). There was even talk of getting some grumbly vocals from the man 'imself, but alas...

Had quite a bit of fun doin' this one. Also quite proud of the name Even if I do have to occasionally explain it to people who don't read the comic...
    - Black Hole/Green Sun

Not much to say on this really except the title is kind of an ode to Soundgarden.
    Last edited by DragonXVI; 11-07-2011 at 04:07 PM.
    http://www.scythe-studios.co.uk/PoseAsATeam.gif
    "Thirteen chimes on a Dead Man's Clock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock..."
    - Fumblr - Flitter

Pronouns
    [none]

yes track commentary

yes.

YES.

thank you.

For the Hord- err, Swarm! Walliard's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by DragonXVI View Post
    Included is the "AAAAAHHH FUCKING WOLF!!" moment for good measure (That was added after the first draft to Rad's suggestion). There was even talk of getting some grumbly vocals from the man 'imself, but alas...
    I wanted to record a reading of the banner monologue set to this track, but unfortunately there's just too much song before the wolf and not enough after.

All Out of Wiggle Room

- Black Hole/Green Sun

Not much to say on this really except the title is kind of an ode to Soundgarden.
    You should have used Open C tuning for the guitar!
    Eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Walliard View Post
    Included is the "AAAAAHHH FUCKING WOLF!!" moment for good measure (That was added after the first draft to Rad's suggestion). There was even talk of getting some grumbly vocals from the man 'imself, but alas...
    I wanted to record a reading of the banner monologue set to this track, but unfortunately there's just too much song before the wolf and not enough after.

This isn't exactly the same principle, but at least it's well synced!

Quote Originally Posted by Karmeleaux View Post
    - Black Hole/Green Sun

You should have used Open C tuning for the guitar!
    Also black hole/green sun's coda is not nearly unnecessarily long enough to be a soundgarden homage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonXVI
    And the reason Vriska's actual theme doesn't show up anywhere is because I find it difficult to work with as it's kinda crazy /excuse.
    Pretty good excuse IMO. Do You Remem8er Me functions as Vriska's other theme, the side opposite to that displayed by the many variations of Spider's Claw.

Frankly I'm glad you didn't borrow from SC.

Also holy crap how did BSGC being a Soundgarden reference slip by me

I mean COME ON

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post

This isn't exactly the same principle, but at least it's well synced!
    Welp, this is better than anything I could've hoped to make.

If I were to attempt it, I think I'd cut out the candy bowl bit to make some extra room to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorInfinity View Post
    it's outlandish, kid
    rj nobody got a music like yours
    it's my lifeline bro

So I'm thinking of doing some pep band arrangements of Homestuck music.

Any suggestions for first song to arrange?

Pronouns
    [none]

Liftdoff

just call it Liftoff, no one will ever know!

I'm Jay and I like to party. jayhankedlyon's Avatar

Welp, found an audio editor that lets you save files as MP3s and has no negative side effects like watermarking or limited trial run or anything like that.

This may be old news but it's new enough for me to be pretty thrilled. Edited out the Cascade version of Savior of the Dreaming Dead and I love it (I'd share it but it'd be sort of rude to the people here who like, make the music and ostensibly lose money when files are shared for free.)

Also just cut out all the annoying gaps in Cascade and the quality went up sooooo much. Yesss.

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    So I'm thinking of doing some pep band arrangements of Homestuck music.

Any suggestions for first song to arrange?
    Sburban Jungle has nice percussion. But I'd go for broke and find a way to do a listenable pep band version of Greenhouse.

Will you accept this challenge and not ruin the song?

Sburban Jungle. Do it.

I'm not quite sure what to make of Infinity Mechanism. Most of the song is a bit busy for my taste, and I have trouble seeing how it fits together, but I love the various themes, and the first ten seconds are so beautiful it hurts.
    Last edited by Wiwaxia; 11-07-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Rogue of Mind mysteriousOutsider's Avatar

Doctor, obviously.

(Just got done de-gapping Cascade and it is beautiful.)

((it was really hard to make the break in Savior of the Dreaming Dead sound smooth))

(((but it was worth it)))

Considering how jazzy our pep band usually is, I figure something like Black would be good

maybe liquid negrocity if our bassists decide they don't want to do that :P

Quote Originally Posted by Wiwaxia View Post
    Sburban Jungle. Do it.

I'm not quite sure what to make of Infinity Mechanism. Most of the song is a bit busy for my taste, and I have trouble seeing how it fits together, but I love the various themes, and the first ten seconds are so beautiful it hurts.
    I don't get along well with structure.
    Shameless Monetary Pursuits | Homestuck Remixes/Projects for Download | Fantastically Musical YouTube Page | Tumblr

hey eidolon I wanted you to know that even though I only listened to Bargaining with the Beast for the track art

I stayed there for the music

On that note, I like how Volume 8 is highly ambient, or at least background music-ish. It gives the album its own personality, same as with Volume 7.

EDIT BEFORE I FORGET: PLAZ THANKS FOR THE FLARE FLASH VERSION THING 3
    "What? Funning? I never fun! I do not fun, and have no history of funning, and even if I were inclined to funning, I would not dream of funning with you."

I think the track art is the main thing that gets people interested in listening Bargaining with the Beast and Galactic Cancer
    Shameless Monetary Pursuits | Homestuck Remixes/Projects for Download | Fantastically Musical YouTube Page | Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by EidolonOrpheus View Post
    I think the track art is the main thing that gets people interested in listening Bargaining with the Beast and Galactic Cancer
    Well you know I get 40 new tracks shoved in my face what do you think I'm going to check out:

a) the music from the flash

b) hey that's a pretty picture
    "What? Funning? I never fun! I do not fun, and have no history of funning, and even if I were inclined to funning, I would not dream of funning with you."

Yeah, with so many tracks, I expect people go to the ones that make them go whoa what's going on here.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Audacity fits those specs too. You just need to download lame_enc.dll separately for MP3 exports.

Audacity fits those specs too. You just need to download lame_enc.dll separately for MP3 exports.
    I tried that before a few times and it didn't work. I'm sure you're right but I'm a freaking idiot when it comes to computers, and this program is nifty for someone like me who just wants one download and go.