MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Eighth Day [rated Mature]

The Eighth Day [rated Mature]

Once upon a time...

There was an old man who lived above the world. He was very old, and very alone - and very lonely. One day he decided that since he was so old, he should make a universe to amuse himself with.

And so he did; on the first day, he made light to fill the dark, push and pull, energy and atoms, and whispered to them the secret to becoming galaxies. And he sat and watched suns and stars and planets form from dust and ice in the heavens, dance, collide and explode; and this amused him for a while.

But still he was lonely.

So on the third day, he took one of those dead planets and rolled it in his hands like clay, smooshed and smashed it until condensation formed, and water flooded over the rock; then he planted a small patch of weed and watched it flourish like ink over the world, til all was blue and green. Then he made animals from meat and bone, fish and fowl and mammals that climbed and walked and trotted on strong legs.

And lastly, on the sixth day, he made two children from the dust, to talk to.

He gave them a garden to play in, and called it paradise. And they amused him, for a while.

But they grew up, as children do, and didn't want to play any more. They wanted to grow, explore, and learn. They wanted to know the secrets he knew.

He grew tired of their questions and demands, and on the seventh day, he gave them an ultimatum: stay in the garden, but stop their foolish quest for secrets (for he knew secrets to be a dangerous thing), or be exiled forever.

Without a backwards glance, his children made their choice. Their father watched them go until the sun slipped below the horizon, and sighed. He had created whole worlds and children to fill them - they were no longer children and he was alone; it was time to rest.

And at the end of the seventh day, with the stars shining down brightly upon his creation, the old man returned to the place above the universe and fell into a deep sleep.

On the eighth day, the old man's children rose at dawn

and stood and looked out upon all the things their father had created.

They took one another's hand, looked upon each other with wide grins and said

our turn.

THE EIGHTH DAY

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! !!

You suddenly awaken in the middle of the night screaming, your fingers white-knuckled around your blanket, panic causing your breath to catch in your throat.

You just had a terrible nightmare!

In fact, you're so frightened you've forgotten your own name! You're sure you'll remember it, but in the meantime, what should you do?
    Last edited by rje; 12-05-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Avatar by Pharms : D Moderator ProfessorLizzard's Avatar

Re: The Eighth Day

>Try to go back to sleep. You are getting used to these dreams...

Sophie Lavinsky

Okay, stop doing those hands, you're just making me jealous - as in it's beautiful.

Liliana Puddles.
    Your chumhandle is precariousSerpent and you have a tendency to SSneakily double your ss'ss like a sserpent in the grassss.

The year was outer space. Godbot's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

> Don't get up, or you won't be able to get back to sleep for a while.
    Gluttony | Sloth | Greed | Pride | Envy |
    Patience |

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Phoenix View Post
    Sophie Lavinsky
    Oh yeah, that's right -- Sophie Lavinsky, that's your name. How silly of you to forget. You make a mental note to avoid that in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorLizzard View Post
    >Try to go back to sleep. You are getting used to these dreams...

Your hand shakes as you raise it to your face and you laugh at yourself somewhat bitterly under your breath. You'd think by the time you had your thousandth nightmare you'd be bored of waking up screaming your head off, fear rising sour bile in the back of your throat. The routine is old hat by now - you've been having "bad dreams" since you were 12, there's no reason...

Your lip trembles, throat closing up as hot wetness pricks the corners of your eyes and you crumple your fingers against your lips, fighting back the rising heave in your chest. This is fucking ridiculous, you are not going to fucking c--

Oh look -- seems like your shenanigans have attracted some attention.

it's pronounced "secret two" ckret2's Avatar

Tell us a bit about your dreams--are they always the same, or do they vary? And was that genesis story one of your dreams?

> AWHOOAAAAGAWD SOMEONE'S CREEPING ON YOU

Creeper: Be the most harmless roommate in the universe.
    INTERCESSION: A FAN ADVENTURE on the forum, on the Mirror, and on Tumblr
    The Eighth Day, a fledgling fan adventure by RJE!

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver View Post
    > AWHOOAAAAGAWD SOMEONE'S CREEPING ON YOU
    Creeper: Be the most harmless roommate in the universe.
    OHSHIT IT'S RIGHT BEHIND THE CU--
    Oh yeah. It's just your roommate. Right.

Although.
    You wouldn't exactly say harmless.

YO MEG WHAT THE HELL YOU THINK YER DOIN??

S-sorry Renee, I just...had another...wait, what? What'd you call m--
    --amnit Meghan, you know how annoyin' it is to get woke up in the middle of--what?

She pauses, confused, and you press on before she can interrupt again, as usual.

I'm Sophie! My name I mean, it's Sophie. Did you forget too?

You say that a little too excitedly; its nice to not be the only one confused in life, y'know? Your face falls, though, at the look she shoots you and you shut up with a creeping suspicion you just said something incredibly silly.

Jeeeezus Christ, are you makin' up personalities for yerself again you fuckin' weirdo? Yer name ain't Sophie, it's Meghan. Meghan...Cost-somethin-or-other, I dunno. Pshh, Sophie, where'd you get that from, that's stupid...

...uh.
    Right.
    Meghan.
    Meghan Esther Costa.
    That's your name and has always been. You have no idea why you thought it was Sophie.

I was just kidding! Ha ha! Haha ha!

Renee just snorts and walks away. You rub your forehead, a headache coming on like it always does after a bad dream and watch Renee move to pace in front of the bedroom door, staring out the tiny glass in front.

What are you doing??
    Yer screamin's sure to bring someone to check up on us, I'm gonna ask to go get another piece of cake. I ain't had enough from dinner. I want some cake.

You roll your eyes.

They aren't going to open the kitchen back up just so you can get a piece of cake Renee, kitchen's closed. It's lights out.

Renee just shrugs and continues staring out the pane of glass. If she had a cat tail, it'd be flicking back and forth anxiously.

You can hear footsteps hurring down the hall, a huge ring of keys jingling in time. You sigh, not looking forward to the probable fight that's about to ensue and rise to the window, crossing your arms on the sill and staring out through the bars. You wish you could push the glass open to feel a breeze on your face, inhale some fresh air. Everything in this place smells dank and stale.

The jingling keys stop outside your door and you can hear the low, terse voice of thier owner, arguing under his breath with Renee. She's getting louder and louder, and as she shouts, angry annoyed voices can be faintly heard calling out up and down the hallway outside the door. She's waking the whole floor up.

Oh look, a falling star. How beautiful.

You don't bother to make a wish.

"Meggie?"

You blink and look behind you; your face softens to see the other occupant of your room, Samantha. She's eighteen, but clutches a stuffed animal to her chest like a girl much younger. Her huge brown eyes are wide and worried.

I heard you screamin'...what happened? Is everything okay?

What do you even say?

Thinks robots are p cool ✭[GimeurCookie]'s Avatar
    Pronouns
    [any]

> Tell her about the dream just to get it off your chest.
    [Tumblr]----[ FORTUNA ]----[Random]
    "A Space adventure about life and robots, but mainly about robots, in fact I'm lying it's just about robots."

(How often does Meg have these weird dreams & identity slips? How much do Samantha/Renee know about it?)

>Probably better not to worry her. "Nah, everything's fine. I had a bad dream and accidentally woke up Renee, so now she'd decided she needs to track down another piece of cake. No big deal."

This looks like a cool and intriguing adventure. +1 reader

> Meg: attempt to laugh it off like it was nothing. "Ha ha just a silly dream, sorry for waking you". Wherever you are, you probably don't need the people in charge finding out about your nightmares. By the way, where are you, anyway?

> "Give me that toy. Now."

Are you friend with Samantha ?

From the look of it you're not supposed to be able to leave this place. Is that some hospital ? Pension ? House for troublesome youngs ?

PS : keep being amazing
    Last edited by Shadow Phoenix; 12-01-2011 at 05:42 AM.

tell her you had a nightmare then hug her

Quote Originally Posted by Gimeurcookie View Post
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by intangibleInsight View Post
    (How often does Meg have these weird dreams & identity slips? How much do Samantha/Renee know about it?)
    Address this as well!
    INTERCESSION: A FAN ADVENTURE on the forum, on the Mirror, and on Tumblr
    The Eighth Day, a fledgling fan adventure by RJE!

>Nothing... just a dream, don't worry

Re: On the Eighth Day

>Give Samantha a soft pat on the shoulder, tell her not to worry about it and that she should go back to bed. Then continue to wishfully stare out the window.
    Your chumhandle is precariousSerpent and you have a tendency to SSneakily double your ss'ss like a sserpent in the grassss.

Re: On the Eighth Day

Quote Originally Posted by intangibleInsight View Post
    >Probably better not to worry her. "Nah, everything's fine. I had a bad dream and accidentally woke up Renee, so now she'd decided she needs to track down another piece of cake. No big deal."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrsix Talvar View Post
    This looks like a cool and intriguing adventure. +1 reader
    > Meg: attempt to laugh it off like it was nothing.

It was nothing Sam, don't worry about it.

She fixes you with a look. I know better than that. You had another nightmare, didn't you? I did too. Not a nightmare I mean, a dream...mine wasn't bad though, it was okay this time. Yours was bad though, huh?

You stare at her a few moments in silence, then simply sigh and nod. You can't lie to Sam, you two have been roommates for too long. In fact, you'd say you were closer to sisters by this point; shared trauma bring people together, after all. Besides, you have nightmares so frequently it's rarely a secret, though it's become rare for you to wake up screaming -- now it's only once or twice a month instead of multiple times a night.

Samantha hugs her stuffed toy closer to her chest and nods herself, a sad frown crossing her lips. Was it... she looks around and leans in, whispering quietly. That dream?

That dream.

that dream--

Your eyes focus on Sam and you're vaguely surprised to find your hands shaking. You clench them tight around the bottom of your undershirt and shake your head, your face blank with practiced ease -- though your skin is ashen and your hands are clammy. You wipe them distractedly on your pajama pants, your thoughts too far away and too long ago for comfort.

No. No.
    Something else.

She nods, chewing on her thumbnail as you both watch Renee grapple with two burly security personnel now, her screaming reverberating off the concrete walls of your room. You wince as one of the men take a punch to the temple and stumble; that's going to earn her the taser. You take Sam's hand, the girl's figeting increasing as she grows more upset. She hates fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimeurcookie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ckret2 View Post
    Tell us a bit about your dreams--are they always the same, or do they vary? And was that genesis story one of your dreams?

C'mon Sam, if you go lie back down I'll tell you about it.

Her face brighens. An' I can tell you 'bout mine!

You laugh. Sure, you tell me yours and I'll tell you mine and we'll see who wins. You lead her back over to her bed, snapping the curtain closed to muffle Renee's pained wails and settle on the edge as she scoots down under the covers. She hugs her stuffed pony, looking for all the world as if you're merely going to tell her a bedtime story. You almost want to laugh.

Well, let's see...my dream...

You think back to it; it was so weird, like nothing you'd ever dreamed before, like nothing you'd ever seen before, though you don't get to see much anyway.

Well, let's see...I was in this big...place.
    Place?

You struggle to think of the words. Like...an arena. Surrounded by...like...skyscrapers. But they were...they were all lit up. Bright. Like...

Like a city made of light.

...er...yeah. I was in a city made of light. And there were...all kinds of people around. But they weren't...really people.

You pause, trying to ignore the prickling over your skin. You remember in the dream you could see out of your periphery horrible shapes, some sharp and jutting, others slithery -- humanoid forms that...just looked wrong. You were terrified to turn you head. If you turned your head they'd notice you. So you kept your gaze fixed forward, too scared to move or breathe. You don't share this bit with Sam, however. She nudges you impatiently and you realize you had stopped, staring blankly into space. You clear your throat and continue.

A-anyway, we were in this arena, all watching something, all of us looking in the same direction. In the middle, was this tall pillar, and there was...a...person. A woman, I think? Doing something at the pillar...she was talking, and moving her hands, and...

You can't exactly remember. In the dream were so far back you couldn't hear or see what she was doing, only that she was moving and...drawing on the...?

The story!

You blink.

What?

The story! You were dreaming the story too!! The woman, she was telling you the story, that's what she was doing. Telling it, and drawing it too, and everybody was listening.

What...what story, Sam? What are you talking a--

She leans in then suddenly, her hand taking yours, surprising you with how warm it is. She is very serious, more serious than you've ever seen her.

God's story Meghan. She was telling you God's story. The story of everything and always. And you have to listen. You have to listen to it. I think...I think if you don't they're going to make the whole world burn.

what???
    Samantha stares at you, wide-eyed and expectant for your reaction. You hesitate before responding - you really don't want to encourage her, ah, imaginative declarations of prophecy. This isn't the first time she's warned of the ending of the world: last time it was a zombie invasion, the time before that it was giant bees being released by the government to eleminate poor people from the population.

But it's a moot point anyway. After all...the apocolypse already came.
    Nobody noticed.

You've always had the feeling she's just trying to make up for lost time.

You have to be careful though. Sam is pretty...sensitive. You need to handle this with finesse.

Last edited by rje; 12-03-2011 at 10:50 AM.

> Meg: "Sam, what is God's Story?" Listen to the story if she explains it. Is it anything at all like your own dreams?

> Everybody: Look outside

IT KEEPS HAPPENING littlebeasti's Avatar

The Floating Country, my WHATAMIDOINGventure!
    The Human Inequality, AKA the adventure I'm actually working on right now. where 'right now' means 'more recently than the other'
    Also, you should look at It's Anyone's Game, and possibly update it! Cause it's awesome like that.
    Also formspring because why not.

>"They"?

Pronouns
    he/him/his

>Ask her to explain herself.

Author's Note: Hey guys thank you for all the compliments! It really means a lot to me, I hope to make this adventure really awesome and immersive for all. I don't have a lot of experience though so it'll be a learning time for me, so I may try new things along the way. I hope to have flashes for this too, eventually. If I ever learn how to Flash.

I made a mistake with the last update and accidentally cut out the very last of the text (I thought it looked oddly abrupt, and went back to check my notes and I'd totally missed copying like a whole paragraph, pfft. I have an issue with just not noticing things sometimes, heh.) Hopefully that'll be my last faux pas (doubtful tho! :'D)

I have a question for you guys though -- what would you prefer:
    Updates that always include images, but only happen between Tues-Thurs, so the adventure is only updated a few times a week...
    Or a mixture of image updates and text that can happen about every single day, so the adventure is continuously updated through the week?

I have no preference btwn the choices, just figured I'd let you know there's options if you'd like to see this updated frequently - otherwise it's only when I have the time and that's on my days off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast