MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 164 12341151101 ... LastLast

Thread: PESTERCHUM 3.41: Updated Pesterchum! New Thread!

PESTERCHUM 3.41: Updated Pesterchum! New Thread!

First off, I'd like to thank all you users for making Pesterchum a huge success! We started from a user base that had a maximum of about 200 people online at any given time. Now there are regularly over 2000 people online at the same time during peak hours. I took some stats from my irc logs:

Number of unique IP addresses:
    Month of July: ~20,000
    Month of August: ~24,000
    Month of September, October: whoops my server ate my logs
    October 23-November 23: ~42,000

That's right, around 40,000 people used pesterchum in the month of November. (Some of those are people accessing the site from different locations; I'd put the real number of actual people around 30,000? It's impossible to tell.) So THANK YOU! I'm so happy that everyone loves the program; let's make it bigger! Tell your friends! I want this bad boy to outlive Homestuck!

Anyhow, here's the new Pesterchum! New features are in the Changelog below.

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE PESTERCHUM
    (note: not for people who use the zip file!)

IF YOU ARE A NEW PESTERCHUM USER OR ARE INSTALLING ON A NEW COMPUTER

IF YOU USE THE ZIP FILE (only if you know what you're doing)

IF YOU ARE ON A MAC:

YOU MUST HAVE AN INTEL MAC TO RUN THIS.

Lexi (lexicalNuance) maintains the Mac port of Pesterchum because I'm apparently not hip enough to own a Mac. I think you can get the latest version here:

http://lexi.org.uk/files/pesterchum/Pesterchum.dmg

(Lexi let me know if this is wrong)

IF YOU ARE ON LINUX:

EXPERIMENTAL USB VERSION

IF YOU WANT TO DEBUG PESTERCHUM (usually if someone's asked you to post a debug log)

So if you are using the new Pesterchum, and you want to move your chumlist and quirks to a new computer, follow these directions:

We also added a whole bunch of user themes to the package; thank you everyone who contributed a theme! If you are a theme creator, and you want to update your theme, post it to the Pestertheme thread and I'll include it in the next release.

PESTERCHUM RULES - PLEASE READ

FA% - PLEASE READ!!!

HOW TO USE CALSPRITE

List of available smilies:

The development team so far is myself (ghostDunk), Kiooeht (evacipatedBox), Lexi (lexicalNuance), alGore; original art by Grimlive (aquaMarinist), binaryCabalist, ashdenej, TMBGfan, cannabisHero, Orangestar, Zephyrkit, Insani, Omerta, and Atoms2Ashes.

The updates in this version are basically almost all Kiooeht's work, give him the serious cred he deserves! Here's the changelog:

This is the thread for questions about usage! If you need help, ask! If you find a bug, you can post it here, or if you're really cool, make a bug report on our github: https://github.com/illuminatedwax/pesterchum/issues

or just clone it straight from git: git://github.com/illuminatedwax/pesterchum.git

This thread is also for posting cool quirks you've discovered!

If you want to contribute, Pesterchum 3.14 is OPEN SOURCE! Just head on over to the development thread! Discussion of how to make themes should go in that thread!

Development thread: http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread...lopment-thread

Pesterthemes thread: http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread...1-Pesterthemes

Looking for people to add to your chum list? Chumhandle thread: http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread...ling-to-Handle

Pesterlogs thread: http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread...ght=pesterlogs

brawt to yuo bye

THE GOAST WITH THE MOAST.......

GHOST DUNK

Last edited by illuminatedwax; 09-08-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]ghostDunk[/COLOR] on Pesterchum
    Tumblr: http://ghostdunk.tumblr.com

Re: PESTERCHUM 3.41: Updated Pesterchum! New Thread!

TUTORIAL

Remeber: Right-click is your friend! There are useful right click options on the chumroll, by clicking the chumhandle in a conversation, online userlist, or the list of memo browsers.

STARTING

BASIC PESTERING

MEMOS

MENUS

CLIENT MENU

PROFILE MENU
    Last edited by illuminatedwax; 12-04-2011 at 06:14 AM.

QUIRKS

Now there is a separate quirk thread! Get help on your quirks in here!

OK so this is out of date but i'm tired and i'm going to bed now...i'll fix this...later

There are six kinds of quirks! I'll teach you how to use them all! (In this section, I will use quotes ("") around things so it's clearer to see exactly what to type! Don't include these quotes when using these examples!

Also, note that your quirks will not work until you save them by hitting "OK" on the Quirk window.

CHEAT SHEET (all trolls' quirks)
    https://github.com/kiooeht/pesterchu...ollquirks.mkdn

PREFIX/SUFFIX

Simple Replace:

Regexp Replace:

Random replace:

Mispeller:
    Last edited by illuminatedwax; 03-13-2012 at 09:33 AM.

WOOO STABLE RELEASE WOOO

but how does I switch to 7.0
    oh

Kudos to you, ghostDunk, for being so prompt.

Also, I finally get to do what I have wanted to do for a long, long time:

Last edited by ashdenej; 01-08-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Gamer View Post
    WOOO STABLE RELEASE WOOO

but how does I switch to 7.0
    7.0 is "gold" and "gold xl" (i prefer gold xl)

Ah! Waiting seemed to fix my old problem (profiles not saving) from the past 2(this is a new version right?) versions. Not sure why it's suddenly fixed, but im greatful that i dont have to re-enter a ton of bird puns again. Thanks ghost and the rest of the team!

Pronouns
    [other] (see signature)

i'm not mentioned anywhere in waxes posts

now the record is straight that i'm not a mod or on any of the teams for pesterchum 8U
    (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
    Preferred Pronouns: Azalea, Lilac, and Lavender

Pronouns
    ey/em/eirs

I don't see anything about Linux instructions here :|

Pronouns
    ey/em/eirs

Quote Originally Posted by ashdenej View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimbaum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by illuminatedwax in the old thread View Post
    Linux/Mac source: http://bit.ly/lkTmdA

Linux: Untar the source code and run the pesterchum shell script:
    Code:
    $ tar -zxf pesterchum3.14-src.tar.gz
    $ cd pesterchum
    $ ./pesterchum
    You must have PyQt4 (version >= 4.6) and pygame installed. If you don't have them, install them:

Debian: apt-get install python-qt4 python-pygame
    Arch: pacman -S python2-pyqt python-pygame
    Gentoo: gentoo instructions: emerge -av dev-python/PyQt4 dev-python/pygame; may need to do echo media-libs/sdl-image png >> /etc/portage/package.use (thanks Geekthras)
    I dare say this set of instructions - if not the link - is valid.
    I have the previous version for linux. I'm just wondering if the update covers that too, since there aren't actually any instructions or links for it in this thread.

Oh, yeah. Can I get some art credits, along with mostlyTaciturn/Zephyrkit? Now we're in the officially packaged themes, and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimbaum View Post
    guh im such a butt

those have been added

Oh, uh, Zephyrkit did the background and symbols to things like Johntier and Battlechum, so she should get in there, too!

Thanks, though!

Knight of Breath Captain Combusken's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Yeah, new version!

Question: Is there a way to keep the memos when nobody who already in them is online? For example, I have an RP and in that RP I'm going to open a memo for slightly obvious reasons. However we're all on different timezones and there are times when nobody is online. So the memos will just disappear. I would like it so that when a person from the RP group logs on to Pesterchum the Memo appears in the memo list for them to select.

I also would like the option for when you open a memo to open it from when that memo started as opposed to starting it from blank.
    Sburbmon || Chain || Saviours [Hiatus] || Mutations [Hiatus]
    3DS FC: 2878-9803-3958

I think the first is possible using chanserv, and the second is, to my recollection, impossible using IRC.

As Pesterchum uses IRC as its base, you can't do the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by illuminatedwax View Post
    The updates in this version are basically almost all Kiooeht's work, give him the serious cred he deserves!
    AWWWWW YEEEAAAAH!

Also, you should probably change the Linux instructions. There's no need to manually move the logs/ quirks/ and profiles/ to ~/.pesterchum, Pesterchum will move all of it for you the first time you run it.
    An evacipatedBox on Pesterchum
    Evacipated: "Applied to a line of reasoning, means it has been unwound or evaporated due to indeterminate premises."

Um i'd like to point out that Tavros' quirk doesn't work right ): when you put it in its lower cases each word instead of just lower casing the beginnings.
    Excample: tESTING oNE tWO tHREE,,, tESTING <- thats how it shows when you use the quirk set that's linked above for cannons when its supposed to belike this -> tESTING ONE TWO THREE,,, tESTING
    i was just wondering if there was a way to fix the quirk or if we just need to give in an let the set quirk do what it does?

I have a slight annoyance to report: when a toaster pops up, the window switches focus to the main pesterchum window, and I have to click on the message window to get back to what I was doing. Can you fix this? (and yes, I'm aware I can turn toasters off)
    Your pesterchum handle was loquacionGenerator but now it's legendaryGamer, and ( +,,:: ) I love video games.

I love you ghostDunk.
    That is all.
    Smiley Face.

Hey, I can't download pesterchum I tried to update it but it couldn't open some files, and now I can't even open my old pesterchum. Help?
    Wouldn't it be ironic if someone choked and died on a lifesaver?

Not a signature, but close. TacticGamer's Avatar

The new memo ping sound for Trollian is annoying.

Any way to replace it with the old one?

EDIT: nvm found it

all you have to do is copy alarm.wav in your trollian theme folder, delete alarm2.wav and name alarm.wav to alarm2.wav

sweet unchanged goodness
    Last edited by TacticGamer; 12-04-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiooeht View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by illuminatedwax View Post
    The updates in this version are basically almost all Kiooeht's work, give him the serious cred he deserves!
    AWWWWW YEEEAAAAH!

Also, you should probably change the Linux instructions. There's no need to manually move the logs/ quirks/ and profiles/ to ~/.pesterchum, Pesterchum will move all of it for you the first time you run it.
    This was just because I wasn't sure how that tar/git clone would play with their old pesterchum directory -- I just want to make sure the user's data is never lost!

Oh, uh, Zephyrkit did the background and symbols to things like Johntier and Battlechum, so she should get in there, too!

Thanks, though!
    added!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Combusken View Post
    Yeah, new version!

Question: Is there a way to keep the memos when nobody who already in them is online? For example, I have an RP and in that RP I'm going to open a memo for slightly obvious reasons. However we're all on different timezones and there are times when nobody is online. So the memos will just disappear. I would like it so that when a person from the RP group logs on to Pesterchum the Memo appears in the memo list for them to select.

I also would like the option for when you open a memo to open it from when that memo started as opposed to starting it from blank.
    The first thing you can kind of do: if you register the channel with IRC using Chanserv (currently a task that requires you to download an IRC client and learn how to use Chanserv), you can register the channel which will allow the server to remember things like operators and so on. As far as it staying in your memo list when the channel doesn't exist, you can't do that now. I am thinking having a list of saved memos would be nice in future releases though.

Quote Originally Posted by LemGambino View Post
    I have a slight annoyance to report: when a toaster pops up, the window switches focus to the main pesterchum window, and I have to click on the message window to get back to what I was doing. Can you fix this? (and yes, I'm aware I can turn toasters off)
    This is a known bug and we're working on it. Check the FA%.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticGamer View Post
    The new memo ping sound for Trollian is annoying.

Any way to replace it with the old one?

EDIT: nvm found it

all you have to do is copy alarm.wav in your trollian theme folder, delete alarm2.wav and name alarm.wav to alarm2.wav

sweet unchanged goodness
    hey always cool when people beat me to it!

Level 2 User

Er, I'm having a problem...

I installed Pesterchum on my Mac OS X 10.4.11, and when I tried to start it the icon bounced once but didn't do anything.

Is the Mac outdated or anything? Please tell me if you know what I'm doing wrong.

I am having a huge problem.

So, I went to download it, and it seems to of only worked halfway. Getting rid of 3.14, but when it tries to download 3.41, it says error. To everything. I then tried to just download it as if on a new computer, since it already uninstalled the old one, and all the errors popped up again. I downloaded the zip one, since I have worked my way with ZIPs, and moved the things as you said. It works, but I don't have anything on it anymore, like my accounts and quirks, even though I moved all the files from my old folder. And, this may be me just being a derp, but I can't seem to find anything naming where I can change my theme. Is there any way to fix any of this? I really want to experience the new one!

Oh, and as a note, my friend is experiencing the same thing, except the 3.14 for her did not get erased, so it seems it's not just my computer. Is there anything either of us can do? :c
    Last edited by mariposahippo; 12-04-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Page 1 of 164 12341151101 ... LastLast