MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homestuck characters and MBTI

Homestuck characters and MBTI

I figure that we have a lot of threads talking about the magic behind the characters (astrology, tarot, numerology, etc), so let's break out the *science* and go all psychological on them!
    MBTI is a way of categorizing personality types. It uses 4 criteria:
    Introvert vs Extrovert
    Sensing vs INtuitive
    Thinking vs Feeling
    Perceiving vs Judging
    to group people into one of 16 groups. Usually, to find out what type you are, you can take one of many (generally freakishly long) personality tests. But since we're dealing with fictional characters here, you can't really do that.
    Explaining the vague meanings (in my own words) of the letters under a cut:

More info on the types and meanings, as well as links to each individual type here.
    On Tumblr, I found a chart of all of the trolls and beta kids with their MBTI type listed, in chart form:

Some seem pretty accurate (like John, Rose, and Feferi), but some seem a little off (I'd say Vriska is more F than T, Terezi is more S than N, and Eridan is definitely an F). Also, a lot of people say that MBTI types are a big part in determining how different relationships will pan out. Like, a lot of people claim that INTJxISFP is one of the best combos out there, which might play a role in why so many people (myself included, lol) ship Kanaya/Rose, and why Sollux is attracted to both Aradia and Feferi (the only difference between them, MBTI-wise on this chart, is I vs E).
    Thoughts? What would you type each character as? Do you think the categorizations really help figure out the characters' interactions, motives, and thought processes?
    (Also, each type corresponds to a "role variant", which is pretty much an archetype, and that can be traced back through the history of psychology to associations with various animals, mythical figures, mistaken goals, value attitudes, and cool stuff like that, which makes for good reading. )
    (Also, I guess we can talk about other psychological things regarding the characters here, while we're at it, and not just leave it at analytical psychology. Psychoanalyzing fictional characters is always fun! :3)
    Last edited by AnatidaeCollector; 12-11-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Re: Homestuck characters and MTBI

Rose was detached through most of it, though, except when she tried to avenge her mother's death, but that'd be normal for a person of any temperament, I'd say. When she was tearing apart her planet, she was impersonal and choosing her decisions based more on what she thought was logical, instead on acting on her gut feelings throughout it. In fact, I'd say that for a lot of it, she ignored her feelings that the whole grimdark/dark magic thing was bad/creepy because it seemed efficient and logical to her.

AnatidaeCollector, I'm pretty sure you meant MBTI, not MTBI.

I disagree with a lot of that chart. For example, I find it difficult to think of John (or Jade, for that matter) as a true extrovert and Dave being an INFP just sounds... wrong, as much as I love him (I should know, I'm an INFP). I see Vriska as an ENFP (seriously, I can't see a drop of T or J in that girl, and she's pretty intuitive).

I'm pretty sure Rose is an INTJ. Terezi feels pretty N to me but that's just me.

Edit: lemme just do this really quickly. Nearly everyone is I because that's how Homestuck characters... are?
    John: xNFP (he's hard to type DX)
    Rose: INTJ
    Dave: INTx (another hard one)
    Jade: xNxx (I honestly don't know)
    Aradia: so many states. I'd make her E pre-death and godtier and I when dead. definitely TJ, leaning towards N
    Sollux: IxTP
    Tavros: ISFx (?)
    Nepeta: ISFx
    Equius: ISTJ
    Kanaya: ISFJ
    Eridan: ISFx (huh. Maybe I'm doing this wrong?)
    Gamzee: sober INTJ, stoned INFP
    Terezi: ENTP
    Vriska: ENFP
    Feferi: ESFJ
    Karkat: xNxP
    Last edited by Aloice; 12-11-2011 at 10:46 PM.

GAH stupid typos. It's late and I'm multitasking. Trying to rush a bio lab with no attention span can do this to you, lolol.

I agree that Dave as INFP sounds really wrong. Maybe ISFP? I can kind of see that... I mean, there's nothing about him that seems extroverted, and he reacts so strongly to so many things, even if he does try to keep a poker face, that I can't see him as T. I'm INTJ and my bestie is INTP. I can't see him as either of us. He seems more like a sensor for some reason. And I agree with Vriska as ENFP. Or possibly ENFJ, since she sets her goal and sticks to it: She's going to beat Jack Noir even if it's the last thing she does.

Terezi's investigations seem pretty S-centric to me.

Also, Jade as T? From her bickering with Jadesprite, and Jadesprite herself, I have a hard time viewing her as any sort of T.

I'd put Karkat as ENTP. To me, he's definitely an extrovert. He's impatient with people, but he definitely just reads as one.
    To me, Sollux is your sterotypical ISTP. I have a friend who's just like him.
    I think that with Eridan, there's really not enough to be able to tell. But INTP? Heeeeeeelllllll to the no. Same goes for Tavros and Nepeta. They need more screentime for me to figure them out.
    Jade seems more like INFP. She's good at improvising, it seems, which tends to be more of a P thing, and she gets along fine and dandy on what's essentially a deserted island.
    I'd put John as ENFP. ENFJ? I can see it. He seems to be more plan-as-you-go, though.
    Last edited by AnatidaeCollector; 12-11-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnatidaeCollector View Post
    GAH stupid typos. It's late and I'm multitasking. Trying to rush a bio lab with no attention span can do this to you, lolol.

I agree that Dave as INFP sounds really wrong. Maybe ISFP? I can kind of see that... I mean, there's nothing about him that seems extroverted, and he reacts so strongly to so many things, even if he does try to keep a poker face, that I can't see him as T. And I agree with Vriska as ENFP. Or possibly ENFJ, since she sets her goal and sticks to it: She's going to beat Jack Noir even if it's the last thing she does.

Terezi's investigations seem pretty S-centric to me.

Also, Jade as T? From her bickering with Jadesprite, and Jadesprite herself, I have a hard time viewing her as any sort of T.
    Just posted all my MBTI headcanons, Dave ultimately strikes me as a T with high sentimentality... either way, I think he's pretty borderline T/F wise. As for Vriska... hmm, ENFP clicks better for me since DOES THAT GIRL MAKE A MESS OF HER ROOM. Organization can give strong hints on P/J. I can also make plans and stick to them if I really want them to succeed but my room is a huge maze.

You might be right about Terezi... although I don't know how much of that stems from her JUST1C3 obsession. You make the call, I'm not a Terezi expert.

I gave Jade xNxx; she can be both sentimental and/or scientific so I don't know where to draw the line for her. It's pretty interesting that I consider all the kids intuitive, although John might be a borderline S and Dave also has S tendencies.

I'd put Karkat as ENTP. To me, he's definitely an extrovert. He's impatient with people, but he definitely just reads as one.
    To me, Sollux is your sterotypical ISTP. I have a friend who's just like him.
    I think that with Eridan, there's really not enough to be able to tell. But INTP? Heeeeeeelllllll to the no. Same goes for Tavros and Nepeta. They need more screentime for me to figure them out.
    Jade seems more like INFP. She's good at improvising, it seems, which tends to be more of a P thing, and she gets along fine and dandy on what's essentially a deserted island.
    I'd put John as ENFP. ENFJ? I can see it. He seems to be more plan-as-you-go, though.
    Karkat... he likes being the leader, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's an extrovert. My temper, desire to be accepted and impatience kind of are in the same league with Karkat's and I test as an I more often than an E.

You are probably right about Sollux.

Yeah, Eridan's certainly not an INTP. Tavros and Nepeta are both ISFx for me.

Many people type Jade as INFP. She certainly resembles one in the earlier acts but I'm not getting that vibe from her anymore.

John... just think of all those times when Vriska has to remind him about Jade and all the things he should be doing... not really a J, no...
    Last edited by Aloice; 12-11-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Re: Homestuck characters and MBTI

Dude, my room's a hot mess, hardly contained by my candy-colored walls, and I'm definitely a J. Organizing piles of useless papers, putting pens into pen-holders and folding the same clothes I wear every day isn't a top priority, lol. My thoughts are organized, my useful papers are organized, but once something becomes irrelevant, I really don't give a shit about it (that's Fi for you- prioritizing is key lol). Function-wise, Vriska is an ENFP. Te as her dominant just plain makes no sense. But letter-by-letter, I see her as ENFJ. She's about as compromising as a brick wall, and is incredibly persistent.

Terezi was fine at picking up on the details in her mock-investigation. She just couldn't connect the crimes to Gamzee or figure out how Tavros' murder was unrelated. To me, that shows that her N is kind of weak. She's definitely ESTJ to me. Again, her jumping to conclusions and not being able to see it being any other way (Vriska killed them all, poor old Gamzee, Vriska must be brought to JUST1C3, etc etc etc) all seems very J to me.

To me, Jade's decision-making seems more F than T, which is pretty much the deciding factor. John does seem a little S-ish, now that you mention it, and Dave, I'm not too sure either way, to be honest.

Hm. But I'm Fi dominant and I suck at prioritizing of all kinds. Vriska could have a pretty even P/J split, maybe.

One should take into account Gamzee's cuckoovoodoos or whatever when evaluating Terezi that way, but I can see your argument. Terezi just gives off the ENTP vibe for me, though, since I have a couple ENTP friends who can act very similarly to her.

Maybe we should hear more opinions on Jade. As for John, well, a lot of protagonists are ISFPs. He has shown himself to be intuitive though, what with alchemization, wind drills and whatnot.

I would definitely recategorize Eridan -- he's no INTP. Personally, I think that Karkat's an introvert despite all his shouting, but I don't remember if MBTI introversion is different from the regular sort.

Thief of Space

I have a feeling whoever made that chart just focused more on getting at least one character in every single category rather than getting it right.

Eridan's totally not an INTP. His complete ignorance and desperation for a filled quadrant, along with his plans of genocide which even Feferi calls ridiculous put him out of both T and P. In fact, the whole fact that he's difficult and even needs a morail to keep him under control sort of says something. I suppose he could switch with Aradia, the so-called INFJ.

Although I think she switches between a T and an F at points, going from total ghostly detachment to gaining some sort or a capability of uncontrollable feelings of rage/red feelings for Equius, although that was sort of his doing anyways.

Nepeta would be more of an I than an E. Karkat brings it up in one of their pesterlogs, calling her an "Autistic girl in a cave." She lives alone and way out in the wilderness, and seems happy there. Even if she was good at communicating, I think she would purrfur to be where she was.

And she would stick out as an oddity in troll society, as a cheerful, friendly and only-kills-for-food type.

As a side note, wouldn't ALL the kids technically be I? I mean, their best (and seemingly only) friends are all online. They hadn't even met each other for real before SBURB.
    Last edited by Crystalanthology; 12-12-2011 at 02:13 AM.

I know that at least in INTJs, Fi's main purpose is to prioritize things.

Like I said, I can't see Vriska as anything other than a J, going letter-by-letter, but there's not one drop of Fe in her, so she's probably a legit ESFx.

I can see John as an E. He seems to be a people-person. A lot of heroes also tend to be ENFPs. As far as extroverts go, he's an awkward one, but still, could easily be one.

I definitely agree that the chartmaker's top priority was getting one character in one category.

All of my friends, as far as I can tell, are introverts or incredibly peppy extroverts, so I don't really know much about ENTPs. My INTP friend and her don't really have too much in common, as far as mindsets go, but a lot of that is really based around the fact that my friend is really quiet. I think we really need to find out whether she counted Vriska as the prime suspect because she didn't find all the details since she was biased, or because Gamzee's mindfuckery was that successful.

Aradia does seem to fluctuate, but she does read, overall, more like a T. She has so many forms, though, it's kind of hard for me to remember which scene was which Aradia.

Nepeta seems to like being around other trolls, though, but I'm not sure. Being autistic doesn't automatically make you introverted. It just makes social interaction harder in many areas. She really gets almost no proper screentime, so again, this is all based on like, no data at all.
    Last edited by AnatidaeCollector; 12-12-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

We don't even know if she is autistic! Only person who claimed she was happens to be Karkat, and he is not a psychological expert!
    Hey there everybody! You should read ADVENTURE!, a joint collaboration between myself and infiniteMotion.

Skype Stuff:

MBTI can't be done accurately by anyone except the person themselves.

And I'm going to go ahead and ruin all your lives.
    http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

@Legendary: I can see her as autistic by modern Earth standards, and it's pretty accepted as being pretty damn close to canon. Pretty much every human!AU fic I've seen has her written as being autistic. But yeah, it's still not totally canon.

@CSJ: Well, unless we get Hussie to take the tests for the characters he writes/wrote, that's kind of hard, so we have to go by how the characters present themselves in the comic.
    I'll take the test later. I know I've taken that humanmetrics one before, though.

>ISTP

>Check chart, receive Sollux.

There are no words.
    Your chumhandle is typicallyUnusual, and you type like a normal human being, with no quirks of any kind because quirks are stupid and so are you.

ENFPs are initiators of change, keenly perceptive of possibilities. They energize and stimulate others through their contagious enthusiasm. They prefer the start-up phase of a project or relationship, and are tireless in the pursuit of new-found interests. ENFPs are able to anticipate the needs of others and to offer them needed help and appreciation. They bring zest, joy, liveliness, and fun to all aspects of their lives. They are at their best in fluid situations that allow them to express their creativity and use their charisma. They tend to idealize people, and can be disappointed when reality fails to fulfill their expectations. They are easily frustrated if a project requires a great deal of follow-up or attention to detail.

Sound very Vriska-like to me.

I have a very low (as in, nearly abysmal) Fe score and a bunch of people, especially my parents, type me as ENFP (I'm definitely xNFP).

As for the N/S thing... I dunno, I see Vriska as a person with great insight. She just doesn't use it a lot since what her head tells her conflicts with what her heart wants. To be a cheater, you need great intuition and Vriska has been relying on her instincts a lot.

Uses Abbrvtns 2 Condescend u Ace of Dark-Hearts's Avatar
    Maybe in Connecticut, maybe in Ohio, maybe in Beijing??? (I'm trying to keep my location ambiguous.)

*Is INTP*
    *Sees Eridan*

Pshhh, totally inaccurate! I've got loads of friends!...

*crys*
    My tumblr. Also here is my art and music blog. Check 'em out, maybe?

ENFP actually does sound about right for her. Why I saw her as an S, I'm not too sure...

To me, Sollux screams ISTP. He's pretty chill; I wouldn't mind having him as my MBTI buddy.

xNTx
    Have wafted between P and J numerous times. Am usually I, but have bouts of E.

But have always been NT.

Wiggler

Quote Originally Posted by Aloice View Post
    As for John, well, a lot of protagonists are ISFPs. He has shown himself to be intuitive though, what with alchemization, wind drills and whatnot.
    Well, being an ISFP myself, we do have a penchance to jump in and figure things out. However, it's pretty common for SPs. I would actually pin him for an ISTP.

Got INTJ

and my parents stuck me with violin lessons when I was a kid.

I'm still trying my best to talk with words straight from a thesaurus.
    Sburb Fanventure Do's and Don'ts: a must-read for anyone intending to start a Sburb fanventure or having started one but not having made it past 10 pages

I'm pretty sure MBTI is about as valid as the old DnD character alignment grid i.e. really crappy
    "What? Funning? I never fun! I do not fun, and have no history of funning, and even if I were inclined to funning, I would not dream of funning with you."

up from the underworld proserpine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Niklink View Post
    I'm pretty sure MBTI is about as valid as the old DnD character alignment grid i.e. really crappy
    LOL, but character alignment is fun to think about. I generally get judged as true neutral, myself. I'm just a chicken running round in the yard. Screw you, Chris Hardwick; true neutral is boss.

Anyway, yeah, I can never get a solid read from the Meyers Briggs, probably because I'm borderline on three of the four categories, which opens up basically half the grid for me. In other words, true neutral. AGAIN. It makes using the career guide a pain in the ass, I'll tell you that.

I'm more interested in how the original four kids might translate into the four classical temperaments: phlegmatic, choleric, melancholic and sanguine. I'd definitely see John as the sanguine type, Rose as Choleric, Dave as Melancholic and Jade as Phlegmatic.

I'm in the INT area so Rose or Eridan matches.

I can see it for Rose :\

Rose makes sense, but not Eridan. INTP and INTJ are extremely similar and there's a lot of crossover between the two. Eridan seems more SF than NT. Karkat and Terezi are accurate though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast