MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 94 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: [S] REX DUODECIM ANGELUS - Thread Two!

Shakespeare Fangirl MoraicTrochee's Avatar

[S] REX DUODECIM ANGELUS - Thread Two!

Notice: It is a really good idea to at least skim through the thread before jumping in on any of the discussion. Several things have already been discussed out, and it looks better for everybody if you do not accidentally revive a horse that was beaten to death only to beat it more.

LINK TO THE WIKI (Where you will find a complete list of assets made for [S]RDA)

USEFUL SPREADSHEET

Alterniabound features a really cool song by the name of Rex Duodecim Angelus.

If you haven't heard it yet, you need to check this stuff out.

The idea of the song was to be the background music to the epic final boss fight of Hivebent, featuring our twelve favorite trolls against a 12x prototyped Black King. The only problem was that the battle doesn't exist. There isn't a flash for the music to play to.

Or, at least, there isn't one yet.

We are piecing together a Fan [S] comic for the Black King battle (to the tune of Rex Duodecim Angelus, of course), using the amazing artistic and creative resources of MSPA Forums. Hands up, everybody. This is something that has to hapen.
    IRC here!!!

WHAT HAVE WE DONE SO FAR?

We've made a ton of progress! The best way to get up to speed is to read the wiki. The Storyboard so far can be found HERE! http://rexduodecimangelus.wikispaces.com/Storyboard

WHAT DO WE STILL SPECIFICALLY NEED?

We are still piecing things together, so artists and animators are always great! Right now there isn't really much conceptual work left, since we mostly have storyboards for everything, but we can always use help setting the storyboards to music, animating them, drawing art for them, etc! If you want to help out, examine the following list, and then post in the thread.

IRONCLAD RULES OF THIS LIST - MUST READ

1. This is an approximate list of all the art assets we still need. IT IS NOT GUARANTEED TO BE UP TO DATE. It was last updated: Apr 24, 2012.

2. This list does NOT mean you should just pick something and draw it. Everyone will cry and probably you will end up redoing work.

3. If you see something on the list and want to draw it, POST IN THE THREAD AND ASK: Hey, I am interested in *SCENE*, is it being worked on? We will assign it to you and note it on the list (or tell you it has already been assigned).

4.This list ALSO does NOT mean that you should ignore the wiki. If you pick a scene, AFTER it is assigned to you look at the Storyboard section of the wiki and the art already drawn to figure out exactly what you need to do. If you are confused about anything, post in this thread or PM the contact person listed on the wiki.

5. If a scene is on the list but a name in capitals is next to it, IT IS ALREADY BEING WORKED ON BY THAT PERSON.

6. This is for FRAMES OF ART ONLY. It does not list animation needs, setting to music, etc. If you are interested in that CONSULT THE WIKI and post in the thread.

With no further ado:
    RDA Art Assets needed:

Want to promote our thread in your signature? One-stop Sig Shop!

WELCOME TO THE PROJECT! Let the epic commence

(Partially copied from last OP)
    Last edited by MoraicTrochee; 07-18-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    My Homestuck videos:
    Best Friend
    Knock Em Out

Re: [S] REX DUODECIM ANGELUS - Thread Two!

Hooray for a new thread!

Here's some more links that could help.
    Listen to the song!
    Comprehensive & very awesome spreadsheet for the project!

UPDATE:
    Tavros part is probably finished before 2012, have only worked a little on it since November (sorry!)
    I've also been working on a preloader based on cP's idea. Not on the priority list for now, but if someone has experience with ActionScript, could you please look at it?

A little more about the panning: when I posted the group shots, I also posted each character separately in case some animation was needed. Why not add a bit of parallax to the group shot by having the more distant ones moving more slowly during the pan? And maybe give the floating characters, ie Aradia, Sollux and Tavros, a soft bobbing animation? Tavros at least could do with some fire and/or smoke coming from his rocket chair. I didn't think to add any back then, but it should be easy for an animator to make a two-frame flickering fire animation.

Let me hypnotise you into the 4th dimension!

Ye Olde Sigbanner Shoppe

I have updated the topic in the IRC channel to point to this thread now, instead of the old one. Same thing with the The Thread link in my signature. Mibbit seems to have discontinued the style of direct link I was using for my IRC links, so that has now been fixed. There are lots of handy links in the IRC that can be accessed with the command /msg chanserv taxonomy #srda. My sig code is beneath this spoiler

Eh, I guess I'll leave the older versions in the spoiler below. My vanity section, so to speak.
    for those that want a sig like mine. I occasionally change the links under the troll symbols - slowly replacing I have replaced the MSPA pages (aside from under 'vs.') with cool RDA assets. To anyone grabbing the sig for their own, feel free to mod out the links however you like.

Other sigbanners:

Happy anniversary, thread!
    Last edited by Nimz; 12-14-2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Adding Minti's banner!
    I have spoilers now?
    What's up with that?

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by SidGarcia View Post
    Hooray for a new thread!

Listen to the song!

UPDATE:
    Tavros part is probably finished before 2012, have only worked a little on it since November (sorry!)
    I've also been working on a preloader based on cP's idea. Not on the priority list for now, but if someone has experience with ActionScript, could you please look at it?
    Yeah I got that covered. :P

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by SidGarcia View Post
    Hooray for a new thread!

Listen to the song!

UPDATE:
    Yeah I got that covered. :P

Awesome, progress already! Kohila/Sid, thanks for the epic preloader work. I've incorporated the new links into the OP. Elanor, I am making a note on the wiki that the characters are separate - that will help out with the animation a lot!

Also, great news - we probably DO already have enough art for the dersite sequence! It was just diffused over several sections of the wiki. I have consolidated all of it and made a storyboard of times (see below). Can we get someone to animate all the way to the full :50 mark?

EDIT: More good news! I got the .psd files for all of Felicitous Artisan's work, including the drop down, and have added the links to the wiki. It has occurred to me that maybe it is a better idea to animate a lot of little parts of the first :50 into .gifs first and then string them together? What do the animators think?

I have put approximate times on the ordered pictures of the first fifty seconds found HERE. Please give it a look and let me know if you have any major comments. One big change I did is having the group shots only go from :15-:25 because there is a switch in the music there and it seemed sort of long. Plus, we now have an overabundance of Dersite assets and I wanted to cram as many into this part as I could!

SO because this is the opening of our animation and we're very close to having it done, I think this should be a priority for us. The main thing that we need to do is to animate some of the still frames that now have .psd files, like the low-angle black king and the group shots, and string the whole thing together to music according to the time cues laid out in the Dersite Military storyboard once we have them finalized.

Let me know what you guys think!
    Last edited by MoraicTrochee; 12-14-2011 at 04:55 PM.
    My Homestuck videos:
    Best Friend
    Knock Em Out

that's a pretty epic loader! And just to make sure, does the wiki have the separate character illustrations? I could upload them again if they happened to be lost.

They might be lost. Double check - you'll pry need to put them on there.
    My Homestuck videos:
    Best Friend
    Knock Em Out

http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/...cim%20Angelus/ <-- here are the characters saved one by one! Not posting the images here because that's too much work, and the album is public.

There are some great animations present on that wiki page, why not use them instead of the more boring still shots? Frankly I don't think there should be any plain still images panning. Each one should have some animated quality.

Many of the plain ones have photoshop links so that they can be animated! (And some have already been animated and are being linked to underneath or on top of the seemingly-still image.) Also, many of the assets towards the bottom of the page are intended to be for a later portion, I believe. I totally agree, the goal should be to have all animation and no stills You are right that it will make things much more dynamic!

Okay guys, I am about to go out of town and won't be back until the 20th. It's possible that I will be able to check in on the 18th, but I just wanted to let you know that I will be absent for a while! I am sure that the thread will thrive in my absence and I am very excited to see all the awesome work

Until then, good luck!
    Last edited by MoraicTrochee; 12-15-2011 at 01:55 AM.
    My Homestuck videos:
    Best Friend
    Knock Em Out

Signature updated to point to this thread. Final critiques for both classes tomorrow! Then I should have more free time, and can get back on the project.

Hooray for THREAD THE SECOND.
    Sanity is highly overrated.
    [S] RDA | Herostuck | Signature upgrade acquired. Look inside!

One note: we have to be careful about making .gifs of the animations, because for any high-color application it's going to introduce pretty nasty artifacts. So, for instance on my painted pan it might make more sense for me to just separate the assets into different .pngs so they can be animated in Flash (though that might be a pain? I am no flash pro.)

I am unfazed by human bluhs. Jackie's Avatar

Tip for animators in Photoshop/ImageReady: When saving as a GIF, change the color perception to "Perceptual." (The other options, Selective, Adaptive, Restrictive, etc. have a bit of compression and will alter your colors more than Perceptual.)

(Also I'll end up editing this post for more stuff while I'm slogging along. Frame by meticulous frame.)

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    Tip for animators in Photoshop/ImageReady: When saving as a GIF, change the color perception to "Perceptual." (The other options, Selective, Adaptive, Restrictive, etc. have a bit of compression and will alter your colors more than Perceptual.)

(Also I'll end up editing this post for more stuff while I'm slogging along. Frame by meticulous frame.)
    Yes yes this this a million times this.

Take a 8ullet f8r ♏e. akitsu-47's Avatar

Hello! I'm Kitsu and I would very much like to be part of this fan project. I've already sent a PM to Torchee and popped by IRC, from which I understand you're currently still in search of artists, mostly for backgrounds?

I'm working as an illustrator by project, so I'm generally very happy if there's someone who points their finger at me and tells me what I need to draw, teamwork and all that. I wonder, however wither I'm as good at backgrounds, since I usually focus more on anatomy and people?

I usually draw trolls/ancestors;

As I popped by on IRC, there was a very valid point made about none of those being pixelart, and, admittedly, it's been a while... I'd need to brush up on that. The closest thing I have to show right now would be;

Aside from that, my animation skills are rather basic. But I at least understand the concept of frames, transparency, etc? XD

All this said and done, and if you'll have me aboard; how can I help? Like I said, I'd rather do characters (especially ancestors, Vriska-) and I don't mind helping out at a later date considering I need to brush up on the pixelart (literally!). Please let me know.
    Last edited by akitsu-47; 12-16-2011 at 03:47 PM.
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2isctq1.png(< may contain NSFW art!)

As one illustrator to another, I think you need to practice on backgrounds. Which also seems to be the thing that's in huge demand here. Just saying, two birds, one stone?

I am unfazed by human bluhs. Jackie's Avatar

@Akitsu-47
    I think the Mindfang sequences in this storyboard would appeal to you. =O

Take a 8ullet f8r ♏e. akitsu-47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InnerRayg View Post
    As one illustrator to another, I think you need to practice on backgrounds. Which also seems to be the thing that's in huge demand here. Just saying, two birds, one stone?
    True, thank you. I can do it for work. I illustrate board games for kids, which are all backgrounds (1 2 3 4) and I may have... kinda lost motivation to draw them in fanart. Or learn to render them in pixelart... But you're right, I should try to focus on that...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    @Akitsu-47
    I think the Mindfang sequences in this storyboard would appeal to you. =O
    Oh! Thank you!
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2isctq1.png(< may contain NSFW art!)

Hey there everyone, I've already confirmed that i'd like to volunteer with Kohila on tumblr, but I thought I'd pop in here too and say that I'd love to help out with other things too. (art-related things, anyway) Especially backgrounds and stuff, I need to get some nice layouts in my portfolio anyway. everything looks awesome so far

Let me hypnotise you into the 4th dimension!

Just FYI, I plan to make my post near the top a one-stop shop for sigbanners. If you made a sigbanner that you wouldn't mind others using, send me a PM. For now I will be adding crystallinePerplexity's, since I know she made hers to be shared with others. I know there were others in thread the first, but that'll require a bit more searching on my part. Who knows, maybe at some point I'll unlazy and break the tags in my own sig so it'll be a direct copy/paste without the quote hassle.
    I have spoilers now?
    What's up with that?

So! I'm kind of new here, but I've been lurking a little while and I have to say, I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY excited about this project. And in fact, I joined specifically because I would love to help.
    To give some perspective, I can draw and do some basic (very basic) GIF animation.

So... I guess I have a general feel for it - I've seen so much amazing work done already - but what still needs to be done? Backgrounds, yes, but backgrounds for what kind of thing? And I guess anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by akitsu-47 View Post
    Hello! I'm Kitsu and I would very much like to be part of this fan project. I've already sent a PM to Torchee and popped by IRC, from which I understand you're currently still in search of artists, mostly for backgrounds?

I'm working as an illustrator by project, so I'm generally very happy if there's someone who points their finger at me and tells me what I need to draw, teamwork and all that. I wonder, however wither I'm as good at backgrounds, since I usually focus more on anatomy and people?

I usually draw trolls/ancestors;

As I popped by on IRC, there was a very valid point made about none of those being pixelart, and, admittedly, it's been a while... I'd need to brush up on that. The closest thing I have to show right now would be;

Aside from that, my animation skills are rather basic. But I at least understand the concept of frames, transparency, etc? XD

All this said and done, and if you'll have me aboard; how can I help? Like I said, I'd rather do characters (especially ancestors, Vriska-) and I don't mind helping out at a later date considering I need to brush up on the pixelart (literally!). Please let me know.
    I'll be honest. I may be in love with you.

Also, great job everyone! Lots of moral support coming from over here. I've been following it since the beginning, and this is something I've loved watching the progress of.

Page 1 of 94 12341151 ... LastLast