MSPA Forums
Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: MMORPGstuck (LOADSA PLAYERS)

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Re: Possible MSPAF SBURB Session adventure plan (LOADSA PLAYERS)

I get the feeling anything this big will need its own subforum, and that means moderators and organization and whatnot. Also, who decides alchemization results and grist costs? Could we just propose our idea to the DM and, if it gets refused, get a counter offer?

I can't wait to draw some stuff! Even if it ends up sucking.
    Last edited by Daysi; 01-09-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Daysi View Post
    I thought the session was supposed to be basically people from this forum playing as themselves after the world ends from the 11-week long flash?

Eh, it'll be really fun either way.
    d/w I'm on the side of "everyone is themselves" but I know some people will complain
    steam|da|tumblr|art tumblr|mmostuck|mmostuck irc|Somnia - Adventure thing
    MTF corn
    (Please PM me if you try to add me on Steam)

Ambassador to Angry Brits bloodyEmissary's Avatar

RPing as anyone other than ourselves would be such a bad idea. Do we really want hordes of shitty Sueish fantrolls everywhere?

Also, concerning the GM deciding Roles and Land names? Land names are closely linked to a player's Aspect, so the GM would have to choose the Land names based on the title.
    3DS Friend Code: 3523-2221-1197
    http://i.imgur.com/C3AGU.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/m5jMs.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/1ADIO.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/XOIPW.png

If people don't like the idea of there being no fantrolls, they can just not play I guess.

Uses Abbrvtns 2 Condescend u Ace of Dark-Hearts's Avatar
    Maybe in Connecticut, maybe in Ohio, maybe in Beijing??? (I'm trying to keep my location ambiguous.)

Quote Originally Posted by Yrr View Post
    d/w I'm on the side of "everyone is themselves" but I know some people will complain
    Well too bad for them IMO!

I think we should keep the adventure text only for simplicity and to keep everyone posting quickly. Maybe we could make an art thread later on when the game is up and running?
    My tumblr. Also here is my art and music blog. Check 'em out, maybe?

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by bloodyEmissary View Post
    RPing as anyone other than ourselves would be such a bad idea. Do we really want hordes of shitty Sueish fantrolls everywhere?

Also, concerning the GM deciding Roles and Land names? Land names are closely linked to a player's Aspect, so the GM would have to choose the Land names based on the title.
    Land/Title will be based off their theme/element.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace of Dark-Hearts View Post
    Well too bad for them IMO!

I think we should keep the adventure text only for simplicity and to keep everyone posting quickly. Maybe we could make an art thread later on when the game is up and running?
    People who want to draw (most people) will draw, people who can't will use text.
    And also yeah we probably will enforce "everyone is themselves" actually, ignore the fact I ever mentioned catering to fantrolls
    Last edited by Yrr; 01-09-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    MTF corn

Quote Originally Posted by Yrr View Post
    Land/Title will be based off their theme/element.
    Does that mean we'll be coming up with new titles, or using the preexisting 12?

Side note, I am convinced that a Sburb session is not successful until at least half of the players have died OR unless they blew up their universe.
    Or royally fucked up in some other way. Sessions that succeed are booooooooring.
    http://i.imgur.com/C3AGU.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/m5jMs.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/1ADIO.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/XOIPW.png

Knight of Wrath

Oh, goodness. I have stumbled upon a wild THREAD OF RELEVANCE. Ehrrr. My forum ID and fancharacter (derp) are based on myself RL, because I lack innovation and creativity and blah de blah.

Having read (admittedly: briefly) through this thread so far, I'm very curious exactly how overlaps in sessions would be handled. I.e., beginning each 'packet' with a server/client doohickey sounds like tons of fun, but what of when people start adventuring together (granted, people seem to split up into duos quite a bit in the original Homestuck adventures)? Taking on a huge number of players is quite a monumental task because there's going to be an astronomical amount of information for the UberDM to read, organize, and construct relevant plot points from, some of which are bound to be totally incongruous to one another as an unfortunate side-effect of the whole '20x6 groups of 2 players' type deal.

Perhaps the main DM could maintain and update a 'State of the Sburb' post, in which he or she puts up daily updates on what all the split groups of players are up to? Then everyone jumps on, checks the thread, and runs off to advance their own part of the adventure based on what is known about everyone else's status. Just a thought. :O

EDIT: Pertaining to the issuance of land/title type deal, is there any way to simply negotiate X and Y player as 'Seer of X' and 'Y of Time?' Those seem to be the most critical roles in every Sburb/Sgrub session. Admittedly, somewhat embarrassingly, I rather like the land and title I chose for my own character, and would personally prefer not to should major plot significance on the order of the aforementioned critical 'Seer of X' and 'Y of Time.' As such, I'd like to preserve my grotesque horrible fan-drippings if negotiable/possible.
    Last edited by vengeanceCreed; 01-09-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by vengeanceCreed View Post
    Oh, goodness. I have stumbled upon a wild THREAD OF RELEVANCE. Ehrrr. My forum ID and fancharacter (derp) are based on myself RL, because I lack innovation and creativity and blah de blah.

Having read (admittedly: briefly) through this thread so far, I'm very curious exactly how overlaps in sessions would be handled. I.e., beginning each 'packet' with a server/client doohickey sounds like tons of fun, but what of when people start adventuring together (granted, people seem to split up into duos quite a bit in the original Homestuck adventures)? Taking on a huge number of players is quite a monumental task because there's going to be an astronomical amount of information for the UberDM to read, organize, and construct relevant plot points from, some of which are bound to be totally incongruous to one another as an unfortunate side-effect of the whole '20x6 groups of 2 players' type deal.

Perhaps the main DM could maintain and update a 'State of the Sburb' post, in which he or she puts up daily updates on what all the split groups of players are up to? Then everyone jumps on, checks the thread, and runs off to advance their own part of the adventure based on what is known about everyone else's status. Just a thought. :O
    Yeah this is why I'm thinking multiple DMs, but that last paragraph seems like a good idea.

I gtg for today so you guys carrying on working out logistics/methods for all of this and I'll update the OP with whatever gets worked out when I get back.
    MTF corn

Maybe in Connecticut, maybe in Ohio, maybe in Beijing??? (I'm trying to keep my location ambiguous.)

Does that mean we'll be coming up with new titles, or using the preexisting 12?

Side note, I am convinced that a Sburb session is not successful until at least half of the players have died OR unless they blew up their universe.
    Or royally fucked up in some other way. Sessions that succeed are booooooooring.
    Agreed. I think when we elect the DM, that he should think of a clever way to completely fuck up our session without telling us before hand, but eventually lead us to victory.

Bec Noir is an Adorable Puppy Paradoxius's Avatar

Now, we said the DM is the FG, but are all the DMs going to be FGs? If so, are they all going to be the same FG?

Maybe have an absolute head DM who always has the final say, and have him be the FG?

Maybe one central DM can coordinate a team of DMs who all play as one FG. Once the game gets going, we can find groups of people who are frequently in contact and one of the DMs will be assigned to that group to take care of their individual needs. The DMs can designate one of the group as a FG protege who will maintain con act with the group's DM.

Perhaps we can even have a subforum made for the game so that each group of players can have their own thread. That way a player could keep track of everything that was going on, but likely wouldn't, so it would be a lot like the troll session, where everybody has their own subplots.

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

IF you are going with more aspects and classes than canon, maybe you could gather inspiration from the Squiddle Session's lists:
    Classes-

Aspects-

Lands-

Also, symbols for all the players?
    On the topic of the protoyped king, imagine the royal crest with all the towers. xD
    Last edited by Holly; 01-09-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    MSPA ♣House IRC - MAPLEHOOF'S ADVENTURE - Holly's Valentines Requests [CLOSED] - Avatars - Emoticons - tumblr

Knight of Wrath

Agreed. I think when we elect the DM, that he should think of a clever way to completely fuck up our session without telling us before hand, but eventually lead us to victory.
    Well, if I understand the source material correctly it is the 'Y of Time's responsibility to respond to player deaths by jumping back through the timestream and attempting to meddlesomely prevent another player's death from happening. Which is GREAT grist for crossover RP, and would give the 'Y of Time' lots of spotlight as he/she runs around trying to prevent us all from getting ourselves killed/maimed out of stupidity. XD

E.g.:

I apologize if that was SUPER long and complicated. o_o;

Prospit and Derse are going to be really spiky porcupines.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    ...Also, symbols.
    Imagine the royal crest with all the towers. xD
    Fuzzy pentagon

Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxius View Post
    Maybe one central DM can coordinate a team of DMs who all play as one FG. Once the game gets going, we can find groups of people who are frequently in contact and one of the DMs will be assigned to that group to take care of their individual needs. The DMs can designate one of the group as a FG protege who will maintain con act with the group's DM.
    Okay yeah, this is a good idea.

Are there any ways to prevent certain groups of people forming a tight knit group, and maybe kind of force people who aren't adjacent to each other on the Client-Server chain interact a little bit? It will defeat the purpose if we play in small, 4 person clusters.

Edit: When Yrr sees Holly's list he should put them in the OP for reference for the DMs.

Are there any ways to prevent certain groups of people forming a tight knit group, and maybe kind of force people who aren't adjacent to each other on the Client-Server chain interact a little bit? It will defeat the purpose if we play in small, 4 person clusters.
    Idea: We let the tightly-knit groups form and then make it so the session descends into all-out warfare.

Idea: We let the tightly-knit groups form and then make it so the session descends into all-out warfare.
    *Gasp* Only one group can win the game. Allies will be made, battles will be fought, and treason will take place. I'm already loving this.

Maybe DMs can contrive missions that force players together so that each group has to intact with each other group to some extent. Then, any players across the loop from one another will get to hang out and might continue to work together, but they would get to pick and choose.

*Gasp* Only one group can win the game. Allies will be made, battles will be fought, and treason will take place. I'm already loving this.
    Just like in the troll session. >wink<

Knight of Wrath

Well, if I understand the source material correctly it is the 'Y of Time's responsibility to respond to player deaths by jumping back through the timestream and attempting to meddlesomely prevent another player's death from happening. Which is GREAT grist for crossover RP, and would give the 'Y of Time' lots of spotlight as he/she runs around trying to prevent people from getting themselves killed/maimed out of stupidity. XD

E.g.:

I apologize if that was SUPER long and complicated. o_o;

Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast