MSPA Forums
Page 10 of 65 FirstFirst ... 789101112132060 ... LastLast

Thread: MMORPGstuck (LOADSA PLAYERS)

Re: Possible MSPAF SBURB Session adventure plan (LOADSA PLAYERS)

I desire to play, because I don't feel like DMing 8 games simultaneously. Nothankyoumuch.

However, I would like to volunteer to play as one of the Time players. I love and am really good at managing the Weird Time Shit. Plus I'm totally cool with running my every other move by the DM(s)
    WARNING. SIGNATURE OFFLINE. REBOOTING...

Quote Originally Posted by Yrr View Post
    Also I think a time player could work if they run everything by the DM first
    Well, for the bigger things. Basic combat should be just 'I flash forward/back a couple seconds and do whatever'

The DM should be arranging with the Time Player to drop in future clues, and I already did some outlining as to how the rules can prevent the Hero of Time from completely breaking the system.

Rogue of SPACE!/Witch of Blood Daniel990's Avatar
    Pronouns
    [any]

Can one be a DM and player?
    fitter happier more productive

Pronouns
    she/her

Quote Originally Posted by RemoteIslandSyndrome View Post
    Edit: When I say basic, I mean basic. I'm guessing that the game will be pretty off the cuff, so stuff like grist will be measured in 'Yeah, you can make that' and 'No, you're not making a mecha at your current power level.' Rather than 'You have 15872 Shale, 1829 Tar, 182930 Platinum...'
    Yeah, I think the "Yes that's reasonable, you can afford that" or "Nope!" method is probably what's going to be used. To make an entire system with prices and vaulues would take a long time and be nothing but trouble in the long run. Because then you have to figure out prices of alchemy, loot drops from enemies, balance out a system so there isn't too much or too little "loot," etc. etc. Much easier to go Yea or Nay.

Also I think a time player could work if they run everything by the DM first
    Yes, if there's collaboration I don't see it being too big of an issue.
    Sigquotes and Soundcloud below!

I made a logo!

Eheheheh. And... I think that being both a DM and a player would not be allowed in a full session? Who can say, for the Alpha one? Yrr is who.
    Last edited by ashdenej; 01-10-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Butbut...

That doesn't divide into 4.

WHO ARE THE EXTRA PLAYERS!?

Also that's beautiful.

Edit: Disregard me, I suck cocks. If you count prospitans as well, that makes 60 = 15 teams.

Pronouns
    she/her

Pfff haha I like that, ash.

If you count prospitans as well, that makes 60 = 15 teams.
    That is very convenient as I did not actually consider it!!! (Basically I was trying to just make it look ridiculous)

Also I have updated the post with a logo. If you don't like the title, I could change it!

M...M...MMORPGSTUCK.

Chums, I think we've got this in the bag.

Jesus: 60 prototypings.

The final boss is going to be a slaughterhouse.

I mean, unless we cheese it with metagame knowledge and be all. 'HEY GUYS I PROTOTYPED MY KERNEL WITH A MANNEQUIN I SLICED ALL THE BODY PARTS OFF THAT'S COOL RIGHT?'
    Last edited by RemoteIslandSyndrome; 01-10-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Uses Abbrvtns 2 Condescend u Ace of Dark-Hearts's Avatar
    Maybe in Connecticut, maybe in Ohio, maybe in Beijing??? (I'm trying to keep my location ambiguous.)

Ugh, I missed so much.

Also, someone should make that logo into a banner.
    My tumblr. Also here is my art and music blog. Check 'em out, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace of Dark-Hearts View Post
    Ugh, I missed so much.
    This thread is the reason I have not slept all night.

Thanks guys.

Maybe in Connecticut, maybe in Ohio, maybe in Beijing??? (I'm trying to keep my location ambiguous.)

Thanks guys.
    Sleep is overrated.

Thanks guys.
    No problem! :V

I know I for one am using a plush unicorn for ptototyping should I flip player for the actual thing. Dont know if it'd make the king flammable or give it a forehead-based lance. But on the bright side, epic mountsprite! 8D
    http://i.imgur.com/eDmUg.png
    Dian Martin, Nurse of Blood. aphoristicBloodbanker [AB]

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by ashdenej View Post
    I made a logo!

Eheheheh. And... I think that being both a DM and a player would not be allowed in a full session? Who can say, for the Alpha one? Yrr is who.
    not nearly enough spires, they need to protrude comically from every conceivable angle

also I'd say no player DMs
    steam|da|tumblr|art tumblr|mmostuck|mmostuck irc|Somnia - Adventure thing
    MTF corn
    (Please PM me if you try to add me on Steam)

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlade View Post
    No problem! :V

I know I for one am using a plush unicorn for ptototyping should I flip player for the actual thing. Dont know if it'd make the king flammable or give it a forehead-based lance. But on the bright side, epic mountsprite! 8D
    What if I prototyped my chessboard...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace of Dark-Hearts View Post
    What if I prototyped my chessboard...?
    Dear god.

BLACK KING BECOMES DARK SKAIA!

Sigversion! I can probably make smaller versions of these, if needed.

I can also make Faction banners - Derse Pride, etc. Eheheh. My evil splitting activities continue.

Oh, something that might be worth bringing up; how much knowledge of the game do the characters have beforehand? Do we RP as forumites who've read the comic and know everything, or random people playing a game together for the first time?

Bold for my notes/questions.

(( NOTE: Anything marked with a (?) is a topic open to debate. Which is, like, everything still, but I thought this would be a handy point of reference for advancing the discussion. Anything marked with a (*) is something that has been more or less decided upon already, but can still be discussed. ))

STRUCTURE

The game will be lorded over by a MEGA-DM (any volunteers?) who will also have an active role as the First Guardian. (Did that stop being a thing?). This player will receive logs from the sub-DMs, read through them, and update a 'STATE OF THE SBURB' as frequently as he or she sees fit, to keep everyone abreast of the current storyline and where everyone involved is(?).

The process by which players are initiated still needs to be worked out. In either case, the idea on the table for handling so many players is kind of looking like this(?):

Each sub-DM commands a 4-player group(?).

The players and their sub-DMs play a session. -> The sub-DM takes a log, or if the players are split (into 2 pairs, for instance) the players without the DM submit a log (e.g., Pesterlog) -> The sub-DM reads these logs and then sends them up to the MEGA-DM -> The MEGA-DM reads through these logs, takes down pertinent story points, and then posts them in the 'STATE OF THE SBURB' thread -> Players and sub-DMs read the 'STATE OF THE SBURB' thread -> The players and their sub-DMs play a session.

And so on.

Every group has a thread which they update while they progress.

PLAYER CREATION

Characters are limited to forum-selves. Therefore, all humans (no trolls). There is no age limit, right? Potential parental relations or some such.

Players are free to decide their own KIND ABSTRATUS and FETCH MODUS as well as their PROTOTYPINGS(We haven't discussed that yet.) and Element/Theme(?). Aspects, Classes, and Planets must be coordinated with a player's sub-DM(?), with the exception of those volunteering for ESSENTIAL ROLES(?).

Every player is allowed to choose a few Roles and Aspects they want, but it's up to the mods to choose any of them (or a different one).

It remains to be decided whether canon-only Aspects and Classes will be available (allowing multiples) or if players may present their fan-created Aspects and Classes to their sub-DM, who will pass this information up to the MEGA-DM for evaluation. I think we agreed that non-canon is 0kay? I personally feel that Planets should be in the hands of players, since they're all generally the same thing with slight differences.

Given all this:

THEORETICAL SETUP

Assuming all of the above is decided on, the flow of setup would be something like this:

1. The MEGA-DM comes up with a vague outline of what he/she would like to have happen. He/she shares this plan with the sub-DMs to help them guide their players in individual sessions. The MEGA-DM creates the 'STATE OF THE SBURB' thread.

2. Players are matched to sub-DMs in groups of 4/whatever the sub-DM is comfortable with. The players present their characters to the sub-DM, who will ask if anyone wants to take a critical role. The sub-DM collects information on any fan-created Aspects and Classes players are asking for. Players will have ONE SHOT at justifying their chosen role/planet/etc, and must provide at least a few sentences defending what they want. The sub-DM then puts all of this information (character summaries and whatnot) forward to the MEGA-DM. The MEGA-DM will evaluate the characters and any fanstuff defense and come to a verdict on whether everything passes or not.

3. Characters are finalized. The MEGA-DM will contact any player whose fanstuff he/she does NOT approve of, and they will negotiate a compromise.

4. PRESS PLAY.
    More shenanigans:

The DM's Area Of Control, and Players Dropping out.

We imagine the DM as having control over the fate of the players in his or her session, up to the planets they control. But what happens when other players enter said session's planets? Do they fall under the control of their own DM, or do they fall under the control of the DM who runs said planets. Rather than thinking of DM's as assigned to players, we should think of them assigned to the planets themselves, with the players coming as perks. This is their Area Of Control (AOC). Any player in a DM's AOC has that DM as the final say of things rather than their own. The original DM can control character development, but the land shenanigans of everyone that passes through are controlled by that planet's DM.

That being said, the DM's have a lot on their plate. They have their own payers to look out for, as well as the 50+ people to go through their lands. It might not be wise to assign such a great responsibility via a random generator. It might even be better to have dedicated DM's that control an exile rather than a player character as they act as a sort of mini DM to those that they commune with anyways.

As for players dropping out, it is an inevitable ting with RP's. Some people lose interest and decide to lurk out, or actively state that they're leaving the thread. With a 50+ player session, a large mass of players dropping out is an inevitable truth thet WILL happen. The solution to this would be to have any dropping-out player become killed off by means chosen by the DM. When permadead, said player's land and prototy[ings are removed from the game, like the doomed timeline where John died and Jade failed to enter. The session shrank to consist of the remaining player's lands and not those of the deceased.

With the large ammount of players going around though, we should have no fear of the inevitable lurking out. There's bound to be enough people to form new teams from those that lose players. DM control of said new, multi-cluster team should be determined when said team forms to account for things like players from each cluster and importance to plot, etc.
    Note: Would the AOC require a DM for every player? (A DM could control more than one planet to avoid this)

I just had a thought on limiting the power of The Hero of Time. Which is exactly that. Limiting the power of The Hero of Time.

Like, John couldn't do jack shit with his breath powers, until he hit his God Tiers, unless you count that Incredibly Convenient Gust of Wind. He mostly got his Mangrit on. Though, when he did ascend, as it were, he could burrow into the center of a planet, and stuff.

I'm thinking that a Time hero could work similarly. At the beginning, he/she can't travel much more than a couple seconds in either direction. As they get more and more powerful, they can start constructing hour long loops and all that. Once you hit your god tiers, then you can start actually manipulating timelines.

Put that together with the paradox idea- Like, you can't have god tier you travel back in time and hand you legendary artifacts, because that would cause an ontological paradox up the wazoo, and the more gamey, 'The further you travel through time, the more 'Paradox' you acquire. The more 'Paradox' you acquire, the more baaaaaad shit starts happening to you and your team, throughout the time stream.' - you can make for a working Hero of Time model.

The rate at which you gain paradox can also increase quadratically the more selves you put out there, and the longer you spend in the past. If you really want a cripple to power-gamer, you could probably just say 'The more Paradox you accrue, the larger the limit on your time powers, and so if you keep sending thousands on yous back to the beginning of the battle, you're going to end up limited to travelling back and forth by seconds again.' This would also allow for more 'Iflashedback2daystotellyousomethingnowIhavetogoby e', than. 'I flashed back 8 days and I'm going to fight with you for the next 12 hours'.

A system like that, I think, would allow for a Hero of Time that can have fun contributing to the game, being all 'I flash forward a couple of seconds to dodge the attack.' while not having an end game Hero be all 'I travel back 50 years and kill Tom's grandparents, thereby causing Tom to never exist.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclever title View Post
    Looking at death mechanics in Homestuck:

No death -> can get tiger (0xDeath)
    Death -> Dreamself revival -> can get tiger (1xDeath)
    Dreamself Death -> can't get tiger (1xDeath)
    Dreamself Death -> Dreamself revival* -> can get tiger (1xDeath, 1xRevive)

*Shenanigans Implied

Thus from what we understand of Sburb in Homestuck permadeath is when both regular self and dreamself die.

For our purposes this is a 2xDeath combo.
    I'd suggest that for revival from 2xDead via Life player (2xRevival) that the revived player can no longer get the tiger at all. This is will further encourage players to try to survive.

In short any player 2xRevived can no longer get the tiger, it is simply too fast for them.

Of course, then there's the concept of Sprite revival, wherein a player deliberately does not 2nd tier prototype so that their sprite can revive them should they die. Or to revive your dreamself in the case of dreamself death. But dreamself death is usually pretty unlikely.

More shenanigans could potentially apply. (eg revival by Time players)
    Sorry if I missed anything/misunderstood anything. Corrections welcome.

By the way, THOSE BANNERS

Oh, something that might be worth bringing up; how much knowledge of the game do the characters have beforehand? Do we RP as forumites who've read the comic and know everything, or random people playing a game together for the first time?
    Well, Sburb is supposed to be a completely new game, so if we have all this knowledge of the events that are going to unfold, that'd be weird.

And extremely meta.

Insignirodentiamourous Varkarrus's Avatar

You know how Bec Noir lost a couple of the aspects from the prototypings after he became Bec? Like, he used to have those catacles 24/7, but when he became Bec, they dissappeared (as well as his jester hat), but he could call upon the tentacles at will. I'd imagine that the King and Queen would end up either having only very miniscule similarities between whatever they were prototyped with, or they could swap them out depending on the situation.

Dear god.

BLACK KING BECOMES DARK SKAIA!
    Personally, I think for prototyping, we should prototype things in our house. Like IRL. Take a pic of what you want to prototype, and put that sucker on the interwebz.
    WARNING. SIGNATURE OFFLINE. REBOOTING...

Quote Originally Posted by Moldova in Eurovision 2011 View Post
    You know how Bec Noir lost a couple of the aspects from the prototypings after he became Bec? Like, he used to have those catacles 24/7, but when he became Bec, they dissappeared (as well as his jester hat), but he could call upon the tentacles at will. I'd imagine that the King and Queen would end up either having only very miniscule similarities between whatever they were prototyped with, or they could swap them out depending on the situation.
    No. They should be grotesque abominations that make absolutely no physical sense.

They warp the very space around them in a gambit to exist.

It strains the mind to even attempt to perceive them.

Quote Originally Posted by Moldova in Eurovision 2011 View Post
    This seems like a sensible solution to the multitude of prototypings that will occur during the hypothetical session.

Pronouns
    she/her

No. They should be grotesque abominations that make absolutely no physical sense.

They warp the very space around them in a gambit to exist.

It strains the mind to even attempt to perceive them.
    They become horrorterrors?

Page 10 of 65 FirstFirst ... 789101112132060 ... LastLast